is it ok to tell children about santa claus here

opalred

'Santa' is not part of their culture.

All you are really doing is opening the floodgate of 'I want' - something that is already bad enough.

I agree completely - one thing I was happy to escape was the commercialization of Christmas. Thais will happily embrace any customs and this is one of the worst ones we could import. I refuse to have a tree or even mention presents for Xmas. If I do that, then I am sure next year they will be begging for more and more expensive gifts next year. I don't look forward to the day that they smash the new Galaxy phone I bought them because it wasn't an iPhone...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In all honesty, I never told them about Christmas, but when that time of year came around, they certainly loved it... they are kids, they loved the stockings, hung in the house with care, the goodies and candies, that they found no where. they loved the Christmas lights, and dreams, as children would do...

So I would guess that questions remains in you.... Ho Ho Ho wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

you realise that Xmas is not celebrated in Thailand so the children do not know. You start teaching them about Santa they will expect presses every year, tell their friended and their friends will start bothering their parents, best to just joke about it not be seriouse.

Write a letter back to the kids in anevelope and say sorry no more new members,club is full.

Your english has improved. Not perfect but alot better.

If I were a qualified teacher, I would compliment a student in the classroom setting.

English is my native tongue. I've yet to reach perfection and doubt there are any that have, since making mistakes is part of being human.

Of course it's OK, think back to your childhood ( hopefully) and think about the magic of rummaging about in a Christmas stocking.

Children do realise later that Santa does not really exist.

Considering we live in a country with a pantheon of assorted mythical beings, Gods and Goddesses, ghosts- are you going to tell them that the Naga does not really exist.

Have some fun with your kids.

I do try to explain the meaning of Christian festivals to my Thai friends- they like the Easter eggs, but call them chocolate coconuts!

PS beer is a bit weird- carrots and mince pies ( being a bit of a foodie I make my own, but had to have suet and currants sent from the UK) - but the better supermarkets sell them.

Have a Merry Christmas

"I tell them what I believe the truth to be"[/size]

So the truth and what you believe to be the truth are somehow the same thing?[/size]

And if a small child hands you a messy crayon drawing, you tell them it looks like some unfathomable crap ? Or if your kid is in a play at school and makes a total balls up . you tell him/her that it was a disaster? If your kid has some dreadful disease, you make sure to tell him how bad it is and how horrible the treatment will be? And you teach your children to tell their mother whenever the food she's prepared for them really sucks? The truth can be painfully brutal as most children do understand.[/size]

We all lie. Many of the lies are meant to spare people's feelings or to make them feel good about themselves. Anyone who claims he only ever speaks the truth or that he only wants to hear the truth is lying and amazingly self-unaware. Selectively telling the truth only when it suits you is not being consistently honest.[/size]

Being polite, well-mannered, considerate, caring all require that we discern when to be honest and when to lie diplomatically. Succeeding in business or politics may require that we know the importance of honesty, but survival means we know when it's prudent to prevaricate. Your children will be better prepared for life if you're truthful about what it will take to succeed.[/size]

Praising failure, and rewarding mistakes, sounds like the Thai way to me, well done.

There is a difference between lying to save someone's feelings and pointless lying.

Santa is a pointless lie. It achieves nothing.

My children will be better prepared for life because they understand their parents don't lie to them.

Your children will quickly learn their dad is a liar.

My dad lied to me about Santa Clause.

He bought toys, decorated the house with lights/christmas tree, bought me a Lionel Train.

I figured it out when I was around 7 years old... liar!!!!

Christmas morning, all those toys, all that fun. What a farce. Just a big lie.

I'll never put my kids through that.

Bet you still took the pressies.

My Thai grandson, raised by my wife and I, believed in Santa until last year when he became twelve and questioned it.He was most upset and said that he loved the feeling of Christmas, and every year played his Polar Express DVD. For some time after he used to say 'I wish you hadn't told me the truth Grandad, Christmas will never be the same'.He has now got over it and the upside is that he has moderated his Christmas present list now he knows we are paying for it. And it has also prepared him in not to believe everything he is told. The boy had many years enjoying the myth of Santa and why not. As the years go by, the children's gnomes, fairies and hob goblins change into innocent faced adults who will beguile them with false promises and then let you down. Santa is a way of preparing them for that disappointment, maybe? MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Of course it is. My youngest son's birthday is on Xmas Day, so for him, it's extra special, and he always gets excited about it all, months beforehand, and wants an advent calendar as soon as they're on the shelves. They get beyond it quickly enough; make the most of it.. Besides which, Thais do see Xmas as another commercial Godsend.

Personally, I don't like lying to children.

Were never told about Santa when you were growing up? A little white lie so that children can have their child hood never hurt anyone, except maybe yourself by the sound of it. Mr sour puss by the sound of it.

My Thai grandson, raised by my wife and I, believed in Santa until last year when he became twelve and questioned it.He was most upset and said that he loved the feeling of Christmas, and every year played his Polar Express DVD. For some time after he used to say 'I wish you hadn't told me the truth Grandad, Christmas will never be the same'.He has now got over it and the upside is that he has moderated his Christmas present list now he knows we are paying for it. And it has also prepared him in not to believe everything he is told. The boy had many years enjoying the myth of Santa and why not. As the years go by, the children's gnomes, fairies and hob goblins change into innocent faced adults who will beguile them with false promises and then let you down. Santa is a way of preparing them for that disappointment, maybe? MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

The Thai kid didn't catch on till year twelve, eh?

He knew at 7 and hustled you for the last 5 years.

Edited by CarlTyson

I think most Thai kids already know about Santa. They do have a TV right?

I don't live in Thailand Full-Time ... but have been here for many a Christmas ... and a month either side.

Never seen Santa on a Thai TV ... and I sat through a lot of their shit TV ... facepalm.gif

But they see the xmas decorations in all the department stores.

The Thai kid didn't catch on till year twelve, eh?

He knew at 7 and hustled you for the last 5 years.

I doubt it. But I was getting worried that he would be in his twenties before he came clean.sad.png

• Like 1

Children are children and if their parents are Christian and want to let their children enjoy this aspect of the Christian year, then let them. It's been part of growing up for centuries and as we grow older we learn that it's only a belief, and not reality. I know a number of people, of different nationalities and religions. who celebrate Christmas with their families and enjoy the gifts of loving and caring together with the pleasure of giving and receiving.

Now we get the ones on here, who don't like lying to children or don't believe in God. What is wrong in celebrating Christmas and doing so with your children. Most children know by the time they're around 6 or 7 that it's mum and dad who give them presents but they still join in the fun and celebrations that accompanies this special part of the year. Let children be children, do not rob them of their childhood, as in today's world they're growing up to fast as it is.

If you tell your children that there is a Santa, good on you and no, it does not matter want country you are in, keep telling them. They will grow out of it but if brought up in a loving and caring family, then they too will pass on to their children the joys of Christmas.

To those of you who don't like lying, don't believe in God, have called your parents liars for all the love and joy they gave you as a child and do not tolerate Christmas, I wish you a Merry Christmas and really hope that one morning you will wake up with a totally different outlook on life.

Merry Christmas to all.

Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 2

I taught in a Thai government school. They all knew Santa.

Define ... "They all knew Santa."

'To Know' means they know all the Cultural Heritage behind Santa.

This will be interesting ... coffee1.gif

cultural heritage? you mean coca cola?

• Like 1

I taught in a Thai government school. They all knew Santa.

Define ... "They all knew Santa."

'To Know' means they know all the Cultural Heritage behind Santa.

This will be interesting ... coffee1.gif

cultural heritage? you mean coca cola?

Yes, I know the current image we use for 'Santa' was developed in the USA ... in the 1930's from memory ... though not sure.

This PC "don't lie to children" foolishness has gone a bit off the edge. I was told about Santa when a child, eventually grow out of it, did not poison me against parents thinking they were iiars. Lighten up people! Ok, my parents and society lied to me. How did it turn out that I am not a liar?

However, given political climate today here, might be a bit hesitant to allow someone all in red into my house. Guilt by association sort of thing.

Beer for Santa.....oh my God now I heard everything cheesy.gifclap2.gif Oh my, you want to tell Thai children they must put out beer and cake for Santa.... or how about Pizza and a bottle of Blue Label instead while you're at it. This should keep you going throughout the festive season...wai2.gifthumbsup.gif

Merry Christmas mate.. hope you get something better than a warm beer..

"I was told about Santa when a child, eventually grow out of it, did not poison me against parents thinking they were liars.

Ok, my parents and society lied to me. Had no negative effect on me.

Signed,

Charles Manson

Hey Charlie. I read that you are having a prison marriagew00t.gif

I've been celebrating Christmas with my Thai foster daughter since she was 2 years old and she's 13 now. Last year before Christmas I told her the truth, that it's all a positive fib in order to stimulate ones imagination, now that she knows the truth she doesn't want to let go of her imagination of it all, and at 71 I still remember when I was 7 and Santa came to our house!

• Like 1

I think a child in Thailand will believe in Santa a lot longer than a kid living in a country where Christmas is celebrated by the masses. Here, there are very few other children who have grown through it and could spill the beans, because they have not enjoyed the myth. But ask them if they still believe in ghosts and spiritscoffee1.gif

There is some 'magic' in the Santa Clause thing - as long as the kids have fun then that is all that matters to me. Of course they grow out of it and realise it isn't real in the same way that children play with all manner of toys and let their imagination run wild. All good intellectual development

To all the 'Bah Humbug' posters consider how many people go to the likes of Las Vegas to see professional entertainers who call themselves magicians.

We know it is all an illusion yet millions of people pay top dollar to see them year in and year out. I dare say most of them are adults.

I've been celebrating Christmas with my Thai foster daughter since she was 2 years old and she's 13 now. Last year before Christmas I told her the truth, that it's all a positive fib in order to stimulate ones imagination, now that she knows the truth she doesn't want to let go of her imagination of it all, and at 71 I still remember when I was 7 and Santa came to our house!

It warms my heart to know that there other people out there with a bit of imagination who are happy to,and get enjoyment, out of sharing this happy time with their children, whether they are Christians or not.coffee1.gif