is it ok to tell children about santa claus here

opalred

the wifes family kids come around and this year put up christmas tree telling the children to write a letter to santa

they have been good children all year and put there letter to santa under tree

also telling them as santa travels long way around world have to leave a beer and cake out for him

is it ok in this country to do

• Like 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I don't like lying to children.

So maybe you think lying to adult would be better? I guess we should also add there is no God.

Teaching children that lying is OK from a very young age is encouraging them to grow up to be liars.

I try to teach by example, if they ask me about god or Santa, I tell them what I believe the truth to be.

Adults can take care of themselves, lying to adults, no problem.

I often wonder what some children think when they discover their parents have deliberately and systematically lied to them for years?

And over such trivial and pointless matters.

What lesson is that teaching those children?

I think you should be careful with that.

Since Saint Nicholas has become a racist in recent years for use of black Pete's, there is a high possibility that Santa Claus soon will be accused of animal cruelty for the use of his reindeer's, and you don't want to get involved in that.

Also do not forget the slave labour case for all his elves, not to mention the cruelty to midgets lawsuit. Oh, and driving the sleigh while under the influence of 150 Gallons of sherry...w00t.gif

As we accept selected parts of Thai culture why not share some of our European culture with them especially the less harmful traditions. The Thais have already adopted the gift giving and the Christmas tree so give the kids some fun but also when they are ready let them know it is only a myth or a tradition designed to bring a bit of joy and goodwill .

"I tell them what I believe the truth to be"

So the truth and what you believe to be the truth are somehow the same thing?

And if a small child hands you a messy crayon drawing, you tell them it looks like some unfathomable crap ? Or if your kid is in a play at school and makes a total balls up . you tell him/her that it was a disaster? If your kid has some dreadful disease, you make sure to tell him how bad it is and how horrible the treatment will be? And you teach your children to tell their mother whenever the food she's prepared for them really sucks? The truth can be painfully brutal as most children do understand.

We all lie. Many of the lies are meant to spare people's feelings or to make them feel good about themselves. Anyone who claims he only ever speaks the truth or that he only wants to hear the truth is lying and amazingly self-unaware. Selectively telling the truth only when it suits you is not being consistently honest.

Being polite, well-mannered, considerate, caring all require that we discern when to be honest and when to lie diplomatically. Succeeding in business or politics may require that we know the importance of honesty, but survival means we know when it's prudent to prevaricate. Your children will be better prepared for life if you're truthful about what it will take to succeed.

Mate, sometimes I don't agree with what you post ... but full marks for that missive ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

IMHO, if you are not going to be with the kids for a number of Christmases then I probably wouldn't mention Santa Claus.

You can celebrate Christmas and some exchange of presents without introducing the 'Claus'.

In a lot of the West, the whole gig is set up for it ... Thailand isn't.

Enjoy the spirit of Christmas.

Don't think that the Kids need to know where the Pressies have come from.

Be their personal 'Santa' for the Day ... white beard is Optional ... wink.png

"I tell them what I believe the truth to be"[/size]

So the truth and what you believe to be the truth are somehow the same thing?[/size]

And if a small child hands you a messy crayon drawing, you tell them it looks like some unfathomable crap ? Or if your kid is in a play at school and makes a total balls up . you tell him/her that it was a disaster? If your kid has some dreadful disease, you make sure to tell him how bad it is and how horrible the treatment will be? And you teach your children to tell their mother whenever the food she's prepared for them really sucks? The truth can be painfully brutal as most children do understand.[/size]

We all lie. Many of the lies are meant to spare people's feelings or to make them feel good about themselves. Anyone who claims he only ever speaks the truth or that he only wants to hear the truth is lying and amazingly self-unaware. Selectively telling the truth only when it suits you is not being consistently honest.[/size]

Being polite, well-mannered, considerate, caring all require that we discern when to be honest and when to lie diplomatically. Succeeding in business or politics may require that we know the importance of honesty, but survival means we know when it's prudent to prevaricate. Your children will be better prepared for life if you're truthful about what it will take to succeed.[/size]

Praising failure, and rewarding mistakes, sounds like the Thai way to me, well done.

There is a difference between lying to save someone's feelings and pointless lying.

Santa is a pointless lie. It achieves nothing.

My children will be better prepared for life because they understand their parents don't lie to them.

Your children will quickly learn their dad is a liar.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

when my kids and grandchildren were young they would ask santa for dolls or toys

can you believe what the kids here have asked santa for in there letters

a dog or cat

how do you wrap 5dogs and 3 cats up to put under xmas tree/?

• Like 1

Tell them the truth Opaired, and nothing but the truth..

Santa comes "in the middle of the night to good kids".

They're kids, let them enjoy their innocence.

they allready know about the farang santa that comes and leaves the ATM. card under their mums pillow.giggle.gif