369 foreign women get Thai citizenship: deputy interior minister

369 foreign women get Thai citizenship: deputy interior minister

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Interior Minister Suthi Makbun said Sunday that 369 foreign women, who are married to Thais, have won Thai citizenship.

Suthi said Interior Minister Anupong Paochina approved their request for Thai citizenship on October 10 and their naturalization was announced in the Royal Gazette on November 27.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/369-foreign-women-get-Thai-citizenship-deputy-inte-30249294.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-07

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hope it makes their lives a little easier, but to be honest what are the real benifits of being a thai citizen...a very different set of standards and benifits that are associated with First world Country citizenship

There is no difference between being a citizen by birth and by naturalization.

hope it makes their lives a little easier, but to be honest what are the real benifits of being a thai citizen...a very different set of standards and benifits that are associated with First world Country citizenship

There is no difference between being a citizen by birth and by naturalization.

i dont know about thailand but in the uk there is a difference, a citezen by naturalization cant pass on citezenship to their children where as a citezen by birth can ( the citezen by naturalization's child has to be born in the uk to continue the cycle)

"But nope, they prefer to leave us at the mercy of the changing visa rules and forcing us leave the country every 3 months."

What changes have been made that force you to leave the country every 90 days?

I suppose if you don't meet the basic requirements..., but there haven't been any significant changes to them.

"But nope, they prefer to leave us at the mercy of the changing visa rules and forcing us leave the country every 3 months."

What changes have been made that force you to leave the country every 90 days?

I suppose if you don't meet the basic requirements..., but there haven't been any significant changes to them.

At the mercy of rules that may change at any time in this land of political musical chairs. Citizenship brings some security and that is my point.. I would be a citizen by now if I had the right plumbing.

And my particular visa does require I leave every 90 days. I know there are other options but not a fit for every situation.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

i dont know about thailand but in the uk there is a difference, a citezen by naturalization cant pass on citezenship to their children where as a citezen by birth can ( the citezen by naturalization's child has to be born in the uk to continue the cycle)

That's the UK, most other countries do not have 1st and 2nd class citizenship.

That's a lot of western women married to Thai men. I wonder what their social status was to be awarded this? There must have been some selection criteria. One would think that allowing the same for foreign men would actually increase investment in the country. Until then, I'll be leaving most of my savings offshore and only spend what I need to to live here comfortably.

• Like 1

Isn't that against the constitution? The same goes for the marriage extension. The CCC states very clear that income of both partners is marital (shared) property. Why foreign men are not allowed to use the income of their Thai wifes? Why Thai men married to foreign women have to show no income at all? Is the Thai Immigration above the constitution and other relevant laws? Maybe time for some crowd funding, hiring a proper lawyer team and going to the Supreme Court.

A challenge to the law was filed over 10 years ago about the citizenship rules but it was denied. The court ruled it was based upon national security and thus was not discriminatory.

The naturalization act was changed in 2008 allowing for citizenship based upon being married to a Thai woman, But the bureaucrats within the interior ministry insisted upon ministerial regulations that makes it such that a foreign man must be working with a work permit and etc,

• Like 2

.....dysfunctional families are rampant in Thailand.....

...I guess that is the excuse for depriving mixed race children of their foreign fathers....

...until that happens......let's not pretend this was a great act of humanity or compassion.....

...give a statistical analysis....

• Like 1

Isn't that against the constitution? The same goes for the marriage extension. The CCC states very clear that income of both partners is marital (shared) property. Why foreign men are not allowed to use the income of their Thai wifes? Why Thai men married to foreign women have to show no income at all? Is the Thai Immigration above the constitution and other relevant laws? Maybe time for some crowd funding, hiring a proper lawyer team and going to the Supreme Court.

A challenge to the law was filed over 10 years ago about the citizenship rules but it was denied. The court ruled it was based upon national security and thus was not discriminatory.

The naturalization act was changed in 2008 allowing for citizenship based upon being married to a Thai woman, But the bureaucrats within the interior ministry insisted upon ministerial regulations that makes it such that a foreign man must be working with a work permit and etc,

This denies the existence of female terrorists. Of course they exist.