I want to rent a scooter and travel in thailand. Any major issues?

That's very similar to driving in the Philippines, twisty roads and nobody on them. I don't understand what looks so dangerous?

I'm surprised nobody brought up the driving on the other side of the road as dangerous, I've never done it. Would suck to forget going around one of those turns on the wrong side.

I sing this song.

That's very similar to driving in the Philippines, twisty roads and nobody on them. I don't understand what looks so dangerous?

I'm surprised nobody brought up the driving on the other side of the road as dangerous, I've never done it. Would suck to forget going around one of those turns on the wrong side.

Driving on the wrong side of the street is not an issue, you'll see what's coming.

Looking the wrong direction when you turn out onto a main road...you'll never know what hit you.

It's going to be soooooooooo much fun!

Depending where you come from, in may the wrong or the right side driving in Thailand - sorry for not checking and mention it - however some Thais do drive in the right side, meaning R/H, if it's not worth changing to the other side (mostly motorbikes, but can include cars and other vehicles). whistling.gif

The fairly newly introduced (to my knowledge) roundabouts is also a problem, as no one really seems to understand who shall stop for who (including confused foreigners). blink.png

Hope I do the code correct, then here is another inspiring video clip I found about driving on scooter - at a destination well known to me... wink.png

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2p0EalnXm6U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Edit: Sorry, seems like I need some help to learn how to embed/include a YouTube video)sad.png

Otherwise the link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p0EalnXm6U

Edited by khunPer

lot of people confuse the law with a police scam.

it does not matter what the law is. They WANT TO SEE A INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENSE. END OF STORY. UNDERSTAND?

THEY WANT THEIR MONEY. THEIR CUT. And their big boss is waiting for his cut of the shakedown.

That is the scam. "You must have International Drivers License." "No Have?" "200-400 please". "OK we go ATM" And they grab your scooter keys.

That is the scam. Do you really want to argue with Thai police in the middle of no where?

A Thai policeman can take you out in a field and shoot you in the back of the head if he wants.

My girlfriend points out all the mafia police to me everyday. "He mafia, he mafia, he big mafia."

If you drive all over, you will be stopped FAR MORE THAN ONCE.

and OP, nothing in the USA can prepare you for driving in Thailand. I don't care how bad it is driving a bike in the USA.

so anyway, have a great time and let us know how it goes.

here is a clue. It does not matter what side of the road you drive on.

good luck.

NCC1701A, I agree with you. I'm in pattaya right now and see the stops here.

I also read in another forum somebody getting stopped twice with a British license in the same night and one cop said he needed IDP.

This has put me off wanting to drive in this country. Plus the high daily rates to rent, places are quoting me like 300 baht for a single day.

I'm going to just wait until I get in Cambodia and Vietnam at this point. I didn't research if you need an IDP there but I damn hope not.

lot of people confuse the law with a police scam.

it does not matter what the law is. They WANT TO SEE A INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENSE. END OF STORY. UNDERSTAND?

THEY WANT THEIR MONEY. THEIR CUT. And their big boss is waiting for his cut of the shakedown.

That is the scam. "You must have International Drivers License." "No Have?" "200-400 please". "OK we go ATM" And they grab your scooter keys.

That is the scam. Do you really want to argue with Thai police in the middle of no where?

A Thai policeman can take you out in a field and shoot you in the back of the head if he wants.

My girlfriend points out all the mafia police to me everyday. "He mafia, he mafia, he big mafia."

If you drive all over, you will be stopped FAR MORE THAN ONCE.

and OP, nothing in the USA can prepare you for driving in Thailand. I don't care how bad it is driving a bike in the USA.

so anyway, have a great time and let us know how it goes.

Shouting does not give you more credibility.

And no, don't pay and you will not have problems.

NCC1701A, I agree with you. I'm in pattaya right now and see the stops here.

I also read in another forum somebody getting stopped twice with a British license in the same night and one cop said he needed IDP.

This has put me off wanting to drive in this country. Plus the high daily rates to rent, places are quoting me like 300 baht for a single day.

I'm going to just wait until I get in Cambodia and Vietnam at this point. I didn't research if you need an IDP there but I damn hope not.

Make sure you do your research on especially Vietnam properly.

stevenl, are you saying that you should not pay the fine for not having an IDP when stopped by police?

What will they do if you refuse to pay?

They can't do anything, since you have a valid DL. Unless you're afraid they will take you to a quiet field and shoot you in the neck.

In the book "Thai Law for Foreigners" the lawyers only write that the Thai police accepts "International Driver License" - i.e. self understood like you can use any license with English text...

Have friends who has been asked for DL by police, and they only had foreign national ones and never experienced any problems – however, what police accepts in one place may not be the same as they accept it in another place, or all over Thailand... smile.png

I was watching one of those police stops in pattaya. They were handing out 400 baht tickets for no IDP.

I asked an indian guy what he got a ticket for and he said no IDP and his license was in English. It looked like he was trying to argue with the police but the police showed him something in his book and was kind of yelling at him.

Him and an other foreigner both walked off someplace while they held their bikes, maybe some place to pay the tickets I don't know.

I am asking for trouble because I don't know if I would stop for these pesky traffic police. I would also argue with them and it could be trouble for me. I'm going to wait until I am in Cambodia and Vietnam.

You see It wouldn't be a big deal if I had to pay a ticket for something I'm guilty of, but it will piss me off having to pay for a ticket when I am perfectly legal to drive.