Residency Letter experiences and ?

I'm here on an O-A. I will have to get my first extension in about a year. Trying to get a Yellow Book for my condo. First step seemed to be getting a residency letter "for immigrant," even though I have the Chinot, bills, etc...So I went to the new place for the letters across from Preomenada Mall in Chiang Mai. All my stuff was in order, and he send me to window #4 telling me, pick it up next business day. I told him I wasn't in any hurry and didn't need it right away. Man at the window looks everything over, and gives me ticket to pick it up in 33 days. I had heard the free one was more like 2 weeks, so I just smiled and said "yes sir." He then stated next time I would have to go get it at my Consulate (US), and we both know that is 1500 THB, and since I will actually have a letter from the bank about the 800K; I would like to avoid the Consulate all together. Furthermore, I am wondering if the office to get the Yellow Book would even accept a residency letter from the consulate, as it specifically states "immigration." So that is my first dilemma. But, the main reason I am trying to get the yellow book is so I would likely never have to provide the residency letter again.

Now, here is another worry....I filled out the form, and gave a copy of the Chinot, and the other piece of paper from the land office, he also took a copy of my maintenance bill from the condo which clearly states the address. They weren't interested in my 3BB bill I had just received. So my room number is on everything, EXCEPT the actual form! There was no space to put the room number, just all the other address stuff. It does state on the form that the purpose is for Yellow Book. So, I am just a bit worried that they will give me the letter without the room number, then I go to the Tambon office and they say no good, and I'm back to square one. OTOH, it does seem like anybody getting a letter with a Chinot in their name would have to have a room number on it. Should I go back over there, and remind them? Especially since he told me only one...but honestly I'm not even sure the Yellow Book is worth the trouble as I never plan on driving here or buying a motorbike. Your advice is appreciated! Thanks!

To answer the question in your penultimate sentence, I personally don't think that a yellow book is worth all the hassle involved in getting it particularly if, as you say, you're not planning to drive or buy a motorcycle here. I made what turned out to be an unsuccessful attempt to obtain one after I had moved here, also on an O-A visa, 6 years ago. This entailed a couple of days in Bangkok to obtain an Embassy residency letter followed by MFA endorsement of a certified translation of same. Unfortunately, what we did not spot in the certified translation, but our amphur office did, was that the Thai spelling of my surname did not tally exactly with that of my wife in her ID card!

At that point, I simply gave up trying to get a yellow book as a bad job, and, quite honestly, I have not experienced any problems since then on account of not having one. Like you I have never had any desire to drive a car or ride a motorbike here.

The only times when you will be required to provide evidence of your address is when you need to start applying for annual extensions of stay and possibly also when submitting 90-day reports in the meantime. I would imagine that your condo maintenance and 3BB bills should likely prove acceptable for this purpose assuming, of course, that they clearly state both your name and your address..

Edited by OJAS

yes, you seem to understand where I'm coming from. So far haven't needed to show anything at 90 day report in CNX....but was also looking ahead to extension in a year....you can search this yellow book topic and get 100 different answers. I started at the Amphur, who sent me to the tambon. She was very nice and said you just need the copies and we'll give you one; went back the next day and it turns out that I was outside of their boundary by 700 meters. Went to the correct office..so now on my fourth gov office appearance and they have much stricter policies; translation of photo page, res letter, and letter from thai people,,,,and I'm still not sure about that part. Translation is only 300 at the language institute,,,,,but I got a little shitty with them about the rules changing like the wind, and I'm kind of glad their English was poor. So now working on the res letter...the good news is my gf is not a lawyer; the bad news is my gf is not a lawyer.....lol. May I ask what you had to show for your extension, as far as residency?

Another reason for yellow book would be to avoid transfer taxes, when I sell by showing it was my primary residence.....but that could probably added to the "donation" list for the lawyer or realtor, who will be able to get the low value assigned to my property.

OP

Your room number is included on the first line of your address, no need for a separate line for apt or room #

What gave you the idea that your transfer taxes will be any different if it is your "primary" residence ? The transfer tax is based upon the Land Offices valuation of the property transferred. The only "break" you can get is on the profit you can make without paying Thai income tax and that is determined by the number of years you owned the property, not whether or not it is "primary" residence

The primary residence test only applies to US tax code in that it gives you a larger deductible based upon whether or not a home is a primary residence versus a second or vacation home

You have already spent more time in pursuing the elusive Yellow Book than it is worth, IMHO