Thai rice checking reveals only 10% of total 17 million tons meet quality specs

webfact

Rice checking reveals only 10% of total 17 million tons meet quality specs

8-12-2557-10-44-47-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The checking of the huge government rice stockpiles has been completed with result showing only 10% of the huge 17 million tons of rice grains being up to quality.

Commerce minister Gen Chatchai Sarikallaya disclosed Monday morning that of the 17 million tons of grains inspected by the committee headed by M.L. Panadda Diskul, only three million tons are still in good quality and up to the specified standard.

However the rest 14 million tons are below standard, 700,000 tons are decaying, and 200,000 tons are missing from warehouses.

The finding will be forwarded to Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha to find those responsible for legal actions, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-checking-reveals-10-total-17-million-tons-meet-quality-specs

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-08

How on earth are they going to shift that lot?

Only 200,000 missing ? Isn't that a lot less than claimed ?

The Junta are going tot have to make a swift decision as to what's going to happen to this poor rice, they're not going to get 15,000 baht per tonne for gash, i doubt they'll even get 5000 for it .

Tough decision are needed to solve this rice mountain.

• Like 1

The Junta are going tot have to make a swift decision as to what's going to happen to this poor rice, they're not going to get 15,000 baht per tonne for gash, i doubt they'll even get 5000 for it .

Package it up in glamorous packages and sell it to visitors as part of a hi-so tourist campaign to promote Thailand's delightful resources. Call it Gold Award Rice. Heck, if they can sell those idiotic privilege cards they can sell poor quality rice. Some people will buy anything.

• Like 1

What was claimed to be missing, which was around 2 million tons, was from the total that had been bought over the life of the scheme.

The 200K tons is what's missing from what is presently in storage.

To get the total that has disappeared there would need to be correlation between what was bought from the farmers, less loss from milling, loss through fires and flood and what was sold previous to the inspections.

There would also be the quantities that entered the scheme from other countries to factor in so it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to determine the total that has gone missing.

• Like 1

I can't make the math in the OP work. We do know from reports over time that the government borrowed about 700 billion baht from the Ag Bank to fund this mess. But that was paying 15,000 baht per ton when it was worth much less.

So if 10% is good that doesn't mean they recoup 10% of what they paid. They paid far above market value, and now who would buy that 10% when it's getting old and to say the least untrustworthy?

What happens to the Ag Bank, not getting paid for this loan? The Ag Bank didn't have enough of its own capital to absorb this loss.

• Like 1

Their numbers are always different. I would chalk that up to poor reporting, poor English translation, and how little is actually known on the ground. Imagine trying to corral a bunch of career civil servants to try and grasp this mess?

The way it reads 17 million tons have been inspected. I assume that is a small fraction of the total rice in storage. But 200,000 tons missing is only about 1% of the total inspected quantity. That ain't bad at all.

Question: Why do they even bother reporting this in the English language news? If they are trying to discredit the only previous administration, they have failed. Every last one of them look dumb now.

Package it up in glamorous packages and sell it to visitors as part of a hi-so tourist campaign to promote Thailand's delightful resources. Call it Gold Award Rice. Heck, if they can sell those idiotic privilege cards they can sell poor quality rice. Some people will buy anything.

-------------------------------

Make it a requirement to eat 1000 tons of Thai store piled rice in the next five years or take back their 5 year free entry for a Thai Elite card.

Well, I was walking along Sukhumvit, minding my own business, when a policeman tapped me on the shoulder, pulled me off to one side, forced 5kg of rotten rice down my throat, and charged me 500 baht. So I suppose they've found a way of dealing with it, and making a bit extra on the side.

• Like 1

Time to introduce the free rice for every family for New Year program!

(Not sure what the problem about decay....only last week they had announced that they can turn the decaying rice to normal. Looks like the magic of the junta is failing, once again.

Mind you, keep making bold statements in the media, the lies will catch on!)

• Like 1

......................"Tough decision are needed to solve this rice mountain."................................

Well put, Fatty, and I think there will be a lot more tough decisions for the PM to make in the future, such is the mess he opted to sort out. thumbsup.gif

Can rice be used in place of dirt? Expect not. But if it could, the govt would have plenty of material to build earth dam reservoirs across the country....should help minimize the effect of droughts.

* Note to self - Never live in a house downstream from a dam that Pib built !

• Like 1

Wiser minds at TV knew this scam was going to end in a trail of tears,

but the level is shocking even to me. I also predict not a single head

will roll over this scam......

Not surprising that this particular scam was seen to be a disaster. But what is surprising is that there are still "very slow people" out there who continue to defend it and downplay it. Diddling figures is never going to fix this. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1