Lifestyle And Budget

migrant

Hi All,

I'm a planner (I'm a bean-counter) and am planning on a move to Thailand in 4-5 years.

I'm familiar with tourist costs, and the wife is Thai, but has been away for a while.

I know I will have the budget to retire there, but am curious.

What do you spend?

I've seen a lot about affordability, and the fact that you can live on 25K to 50K comfortably depending on your lifestyle, and am interested about that level.

But I am also interested on the 100K to 200K+++ crowd.

What type of spending does that afford you?

Also I know costs vary from BKK to Issan so where are you?

Any of the gory details are welcome, housing costs, utilities, insurances, sins, hobbies etc etc.

Thanks!!!!

Let me add this, after some thought.

We use nicknames, but I realise many of you still probably know each other.

If there is interest here, and you do not wish to post in a open forum, please feel free to PM me and I will compile the data and report back without names.

I also think the 30-40K B per month level is realistic if you are talking about everyday, normal expenses, especially if you own your housing and transport.

The rub comes when you factor in the "other" expenses such as, medical crisis, travel expenses to the west, home improvements, electronics, social expenses. Still takes real money and inflates the real cost of living in Thailand dramatically.

I would guess that we spend around 300,000 baht per month. It would roughly be split into a third for household expenses (staff salaries, food, clothing, utilities, maintenance, petrol, insurance etc), a third for schooling and a third for leisure and entertainment (travel, golf, nightlife, eating out, Thai lessons, books, Cds, DVDs, satellite TV, internet etc). Only a rough guide and it obviously varies from month to month but probably more or less accurate.

I would guess that we spend around 300,000 baht per month. It would roughly be split into a third for household expenses (staff salaries, food, clothing, utilities, maintenance, petrol, insurance etc), a third for schooling and a third for leisure and entertainment (travel, golf, nightlife, eating out, Thai lessons, books, Cds, DVDs, satellite TV, internet etc). Only a rough guide and it obviously varies from month to month but probably more or less accurate.

You spend 100,000 per month for "schooling"?

What's wrong with that?

Our school fees for two children are around B75,000 per month plus the occasional donation. :o

3 children will do that to you unfortunately.

You may want to read THIS THREAD, a lot of good replies there.

Thanks bmanly! I had read the thread, and a lot of interesting info!

But most of it was what you could do if you wanted, I was more interested in breakdowns, how much for food, entertainment, housing etc and in what area.

We all have a trade off on lifestyle and income, just interested how it breaks down at certain levels.

Thanks All

Don't forget to add travel home or vacations X number of family members if that's important to you as well. Easily my largest yearly expenses at the moment. Also, not sure how close your kids are to going to school (or whether high school or university), about 20 years down the road for me, it's going to cost you a bit to send you children to school abroad, if you want them to have an international standard education. In just living expenses, from friend's and family, the average sent to their kids is 50,000-150,000 Baht per month per child.

:o

?

I've seen a lot about affordability, and the fact that you can live on 25K to 50K comfortably depending on your lifestyle, and am interested about that level.

But I am also interested on the 100K to 200K+++ crowd.

What type of spending does that afford you?

Also I know costs vary from BKK to Issan so where are you?

i reckon 1/2 of uk costs if u want to live well thats air con, sat tv, normal honda car, travel a bit, eat mostly local not top restaurants etc - we spend about 60-80k baht a month but weve paid the house etc a lot of people will say less but hospital bills (were healthy but normal dentist etc) included - not including trips abroad

Any of the gory details are welcome, housing costs, utilities, insurances, sins, hobbies etc etc.

Thanks!!!!

Approximate costs not including trips abroad

no rent since own condo and a holiday home outright

per month

wifes housekeeping 25000 only for basics food housekold items etc

hols in Thailand 4000 not at own holiday home

elec 3500 mostly for air con

incidentals 2000 car service, other bits etc

eating out 4000 about 6-8 times a month mostly local places

my spending allowance 15000

hol home maint costs 5000 gardening etc when away

petrol 3000