Mèridien Phuket moves sun loungers off the beach

webfact

Mèridien Phuket moves sun loungers off the beach
Nattha Thepbamrung

1418123515_1-org.jpg
Yesterday: Meridien loungers on the beach.

PHUKET: -- Le Mèridien Phuket Beach Resort has moved a row of sun loungers off Karon Nui beach after villagers complained yesterday (December 8) to local media.

“Beach chairs from small operators around the island have been removed but there are some big business operators who are still taking advantage from the beach,” said a villager who did not want to be named. “It is not fair.

“I have talked to a member of the resort staff who told me that they have to put the beach loungers out because they are included in the resort’s guest package.”

However, a Meridien official, speaking today with The Phuket News under condition of anonymity, said the hotel has no policy to put sun loungers on the beach.

He said that the hotel provides umbrellas for hotel guests but these are free of charge and are removable. They are put on the beach only on request.

“We follow the policy of the provincial committee agreement by removing all permanent umbrellas that used to be on the beach.

“Now we provide portable umbrellas at the request of our guests, while the beach loungers are placed on the lawn [on Meridien land], next to the beach,” said the official.

Karon Nui beach is bounded at the ends by steep hillside and along the length of it by the resort, but the official was quick to note, “People who are not hotel guests can reach the beach freely.”

Today there were no Meridien loungers on the beach – all were on the lawn. The Phuket News was unable to confirm whether they had been moved as a result of the locals’ complaint.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/m%C3%A8ridien-phuket-moves-sun-loungers-off-the-beach-50037.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-10

I a hotel provides free loungers to put on the beach for guests then I don't see a problem with it provided it is on a per request basis and the hotel are not trying to dominate that free beach area but if they are placing unoccupied loungers on public beach land then they have no right to do so - same goes for all the other operators on the beach

If other vendors want to offer a rental service off the beach offering visitors/tourists the ability to rent equipment and take it onto the beach then that is not problem either - sounds pretty simple

i was right with up until "sounds pretty simple" :D

• Like 1

All the beaches should be made public, and big business or small business should be off from the sands. There should be no discrimination the beach based on which chair you sit, let everyone own the beach, which is gift from the nature. clap2.gif

I believe the King owns the land from the water to the high tide mark. And I'm pretty sure most are made public by him, with the exception of some military bases. Even there, many are open to the public.

Its hard to believe its 2014 ???

Phuket is still trying to sort out the ''Basics'' ?? and even then they dont get it right..

Why would a quality tourist come here ???

Please do something about all the ''Basic'' problems, and then the Tourists might come back..

Big World out there, lots of nice destinations.. without the hastle...

Plenty of people bring their own loungers/chairs and umbrellas to the beach. What's so hard about that?

Back to OP, IIRC, the Meridien was one of the hotels ( along with Centara and others ) that had to pay the local mafia guy that bought the concession off the mayor, to use the space in front of their hotel for their guests, as long as the mafia guy didn't have to do any of the work. Sounds like local mafia guy is pissed he's losing out on his big income for doing nothing.

• Like 2

The displaced private vendors could spend their time/energy out tryig to contribute something tanagable, to society instead of complaining that they screwed up a decent living due to greed and breaking the law in regard to free public access of national property.

• Like 1

Plenty of people bring their own loungers/chairs and umbrellas to the beach. What's so hard about that?

Back to OP, IIRC, the Meridien was one of the hotels ( along with Centara and others ) that had to pay the local mafia guy that bought the concession off the mayor, to use the space in front of their hotel for their guests, as long as the mafia guy didn't have to do any of the work. Sounds like local mafia guy is pissed he's losing out on his big income for doing nothing.

Many are just tourists coming to a hotel for a week or two of baking on the beach and swimming in the ocean. I know for me, a readily available lounger with umbrella...and wait staff to bring food and drinks...makes for a fantastic vacation. I'm starting to dream of that right now! 5555555

Many are just tourists coming to a hotel for a week or two of baking on the beach and swimming in the ocean. I know for me, a readily available lounger with umbrella...and wait staff to bring food and drinks...makes for a fantastic vacation. I'm starting to dream of that right now! 5555555

craig3365,your point completely understood, problem was the way the whole scenario was set up, and the large amounts of money going to the wrong people.

Had to be shut down for the overall good.

• Like 1

Just came back from 4 days in Phuket with my wife.

We could not find ANY lounge chairs, but in some places you could rent the pad they put on top of the chair and lay on that on the sand. Definitely a QUALITY TOURISM EXPERIENCE.

This whole thing is just stupid. Don't these numbskulls realize that tourists WANT to be able to rent a chair?

well yes they do but only you can occupy space on the beach, there is nothing stopping the vendors providing you with loungers etc from somewhere near the beach, it would be my guess that they are now in a sort of dispute - if we can't have our stake of beach area to do business then we won't be doing anything, sort of childish really

I agree with the move to get them off the beach, it stops abuse of tourists and allows freedom for people to sit where they want without some thug coming and threating you to move "this area of the beach is mine attitude"

At least Phukey beaches are of reasonable size, Pattaya beach is tiny in comparison and the vendors take up 90% of it almost right to the water line

craig3365,your point completely understood, problem was the way the whole scenario was set up, and the large amounts of money going to the wrong people.

sorry but that is a cop out. re-arrange the set up and make sure the money gets to the right people, that's the way a civilized society would handle this.. yes i know..

• Like 1

sorry but that is a cop out. re-arrange the set up and make sure the money gets to the right people, that's the way a civilized society would handle this.. yes i know..

Rome wasn't built in a day...........

They should get this sorted out. If I go to that resort, or any beach resort for that matter, I want a sun bed on the sand with an umbrella. Figure it out and manage it properly. It's a win/win for all.

Never understood people who need a "sun bed" on a soft sandy beach. blink.png

Or an umbrella when most people go to the beach for the sun. blink.png

A sun bed with an umbrella to block the sun. An oxymoron. laugh.png

They should get this sorted out. If I go to that resort, or any beach resort for that matter, I want a sun bed on the sand with an umbrella. Figure it out and manage it properly. It's a win/win for all.

Never understood people who need a "sun bed" on a soft sandy beach. blink.png

Or an umbrella when most people go to the beach for the sun. blink.png

A sun bed with an umbrella to block the sun. An oxymoron. laugh.png

I have delicate skin but do love the beach. giggle.gif

Rome wasn't built in a day...........

there's been tourists on phuket for 30+ years already. how many days do they need?

• Like 1

I thought I'd chime in with my somewhat different opinion on this.

I (and my wife) have always avoided any beach with Loungers on it. That's not our scene at all. I understand a lot of people love that, but seeing those endless rows of Loungers up and down a beautiful tropical beach is just plain revolting. The beaches of Kata, Karon and Patong would possibly be the worst I know for crowding beaches with Loungers. They're gone now? Awesome. Each to their own, I guess.

Just my two bob's worth.

• Like 1

Just came back from 4 days in Phuket with my wife.

We could not find ANY lounge chairs, but in some places you could rent the pad they put on top of the chair and lay on that on the sand. Definitely a QUALITY TOURISM EXPERIENCE.

This whole thing is just stupid. Don't these numbskulls realize that tourists WANT to be able to rent a chair?

" there is nothing stopping the vendors providing you with loungers etc from somewhere near the beach"

Well, actually no....

We talked to the people renting the pads on two beaches we visited and we were told that the police/army (not sure which) would not allow their chairs on the beach... even when the tourist was actively using it... the guy at Laem Sing beach had them all stacked up as far from the water as possible. He told us that if the "authorities" found them on the beach they would be destroyed or confiscated.

I (and my wife) have always avoided any beach with Loungers on it. That's not our scene at all. I understand a lot of people love that, but seeing those endless rows of Loungers up and down a beautiful tropical beach is just plain revolting. The beaches of Kata, Karon and Patong would possibly be the worst I know for crowding beaches with Loungers. They're gone now? Awesome. Each to their own, I guess.

Just my two bob's worth.

I agree. If the chair operator had not hogged all the sand and prevented folks from having the option to lie on the sand then no problem. But those operators actively harassed those folks that wanted to lie on the sand. Not such a problem on Kata and Karon beaches as plenty of free space not used by the operators. But only time until like Patong beach - ugly.

• Like 1

Just my two bob's worth.

The last time Karon beach was cleared, nature did an excellent job.

post-35489-0-86669700-1418214781.jpg

There's a memorial marking the 10th anniversary of the event on December 26th.

post-35489-0-86669700-1418214781_thumb.j

• Like 1

Tough luck then buddy, the beach is not your, or anyone else's property, and if I want to play ball with my son, and you happen to have illegally occupied that stretch of the beach, you're going to have to move your a##

• Like 1