Mandatory New Years Eve dinners in hotels - worth the money?

davejonesbkk

I know that a lot of hotels force you to pay for a dinner/party if you stay there on NY eve, I've never stayed at a place that does this and Im looking at a place right now on Agoda that Im thinking of booking but they have a dinner that costs 6,900 baht on top of the room, its for 3 people but it will only be myself and my gf. I have no idea what this dinner will consist of, its way more than anything we would normally spend but the hotel looks ok and I would like to stay there. What are these kind of dinners like? I think the main point for me is will that price include alcohol or not as if it does I think that might be ok for me laugh.png

I'd do a search on Agoda, Booking.com or TripAdvisor to see if there are any comments about the NYE compulsory dinner. I've read some reviews where people were happy and others where they weren't. If you don't mind, you might want to share what hotel it is. Maybe somebody here has done this before or knows about it????

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297924-d301702-r126162870-Felix_River_Kwai-Kanchanaburi_Kanchanaburi_Province.html

x.gif Reviewed January 9, 2012

We spent 2011/2012 New Year here and had a great time. We were rather resentful that the New Year's Eve function was 'compulsory' but ended up enjoying it very much. It is peaceful and has many spots by the river and in the extensive gardens to chill out.
The resort is on about 20 hectares and has lovely gardens with many water features, two swimming pools and tennis courts. Once 5 star, it now would be more accurately rated as 4 star as some minor maintenance (just paintwork) was needed, including in our room. Nothing that would prevent us from returning though.
Our Garden View room (for 3) was large, clean and comfortable, with a sizable balcony, large bathroom, pleasant decor and comfortable beds.
Breakfast was very good, with the level of choice that you would expect for such a place.
We would definately returm there and recommend it for people wanting to visit the War Cemetaries, Death Railway and Hellfire Pass.
All staff we met at the Felix were extremely friendly and helpfull.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Did it once through Agoda.

In Pattaya of all places - the bride had never been there before (and was not impressed with Walking Street by the way)

Arrived at the hotel...all the counter staff were Indian.

Like a lamb to the slaughter.

Breakfast was a treat too!

Never do it again.

Last year my in-laws were staying at the Anantara in Hua Hin. On arrival they were told they were booked in for the NYE event and they were upset. They got out of it because it WASN'T mentioned on the booking.com terms and conditions. Apparently the manager was very understanding and reasonable about it.

why are they making you pay for 3 people when you are only booking for two? is it a fixed agoda thing? I believe hotels won't make you fork out 3 people when only 2 are staying, you should ask agoda. If you don't have to pay for the dinner via agoda, I'm sure you could probably get away with paying for 2 person.

Is it worth it? probably not, some hotels give alchol for free, some limit to a couple glasses, check the hotel's website or email them regarding to the menu and alcohol for NYE. 2000 is not too bad, but the hotel you are staying won't be having fine food. 4-5 star hotels will be charging something along 4900 + per head. So 2000 is average for the quality of hotel you are staying at.

I hate it how they make it a mandatory thing, its a rip off.

Perhaps find a guesthouse, or stay with family, over the New Year ?

I've only once, many years ago, paid for these mandatory Christmas & New Year buffet/show deals, and they were (as expected) over-priced, although the events themselves weren't bad. wink.png

But then, I'm not a hiso/high-class/Elite tourist, and wouldn't ever wish to be. laugh.png

no thats for 3 people, you have to pay that it says even though its just two of us, I looked on the hotel website and its actually 2k per head but the room prices are about 2k per night cheaper via Agoda.

I guess I will go for it, the reviews seem ok

For that amount and considering you're saving on the booking, it doesn't sound so bad and I'd probably go for it. You have to eat anyway, although it probably still will be overpriced.

The only time I had a "compulsory" NYE dinner in Thailand, was at my usual 2* hotel in Pattaya... normal room rate, the dinner was free to all guests, and it was an excellent BBQ with good steak kebabs and lamb chops (i.e. not an el-cheapo bash).

Did have to buy drinks though, but at their normal "7-11 +about 5bt" prices.

Bargain of the year IMO.

edit: Every other compulsory X-mas or NYE dinner I've heard about was thought to be overpriced and poorly rated....

Edited by steve73

Normally, no beverages are included plus if you see +++ after the cost you will be stuck with tax and service charges.

I don't know what city you are in but, in Pattaya, they have a consumer complaint dept. at city hall & people should go and complain about this blatant rip off !

It's a rip-off. A friend booked himself in until December 31st with a late check-out and booked under his wife as of December 31st with a late check-in and like that they got around a NYE rip-off. Vote with your feet; you're grown enough to decide where you want to do what - or not?

• Like 1

To a large extent I think it depends on the competition, like some excellent Sunday brunch deals. You might sometimes be in the position where the only hotel you want to stay at has such a deal, then it's grin and bear it. Did it once at the Shangri La many moons ago and thought it was pretty good but must confess if I had an option of somewhere else that was acceptable without such a deal I know where I would be booking.

Any hotel gets more booking requests than it can handle for Xmas&New Year, compulsory dinners are an easy way to squeeze extra money out of guests, especially people booking late don't have much of a choice because (almost) all up market places are doing this.

The whole scam stinks, I have gone out of my way for years avoiding these rip off compulsory dinners, no where else in the world treats guests like this.

Exactly.

I had a close friends daughter ( and 11 girl friends !) call me from the Lai-mai Hotel Patong a couple of years back at lunchtime NY Eve .

They were refusing to check-in because management had insisted that they would pay in cash , 4600 baht (!!) for the compulsory NYE party that night.

The nightly rate for a dble/twin was 3500 .

And , "Yes" they had booked only a week before , but so what?

They suddenly knew why this hotel still had rooms....

One can get a damned good party at $160 US anywhere in the West AND it includes beer/wine.

Not so the Lai-mai ...

(Oh , kids under 10 can enjoy the party for $80US BTW...)

This is a scam , and no where else in the world would hotels rip off their guests so blatantly ...

The hotels who do this should be named and shamed on EVERY travel website the public can access.

I was wrong on the amount it was 2300 per head actually so I went for it as the room price isnt so bad as the hotel and grounds plus facilities seem good and so close to NY, thanks for the feedback anyway!

Now that is a much better price per head. I was thinking of going there and asking them (Felix resort and hotel in Kanchanaburi) as I live not too far from there for you to really check out the price, from your first quote.

Good news then.

Do not forget to take your Dinner tickets with you as there could also be a raffle as well, and good luck in that as well.thumbsup.gif

Welcome to Kan.

Win

It will be great .

Your girl wil love it, particularly if you get dressed up.

Yes it will, just do not turn up in shorts and flip flops.

Please do note that you will be outside by the river and it could turn out very cool with the winds, so some warm clothing may come in handy. whistling.gif

Please have a great New Year Eve biggrin.png

Win w00t.gif

Edited by Kan Win

Did it once through Agoda.

In Pattaya of all places - the bride had never been there before (and was not impressed with Walking Street by the way)

Arrived at the hotel...all the counter staff were Indian.

Like a lamb to the slaughter.

Breakfast was a treat too!

Never do it again.

lol .. enjoyed it did we .... coffee1.gif