Thai Transport Ministry announces new cab fare rates

webfact

According to the Ministry of Transport, it is time to allow meter taxi drivers to adjust the fare rates considering the higher cost of living and an increase in energy prices.

Giggle, giggle, really the ministry is only allowing the increase because they can't stand the heat from the taxi drivers anymore. And I thought the cost of living and energy price increases had been so fantastically managed by the govt (kept low) that those factors were not big cost players. I just love how govt agencies will flip-flop on an issue once they are pressured at the right time and in the right way. Even with the fare increases, the fares are still cheap compared to other countries.

Taxi fare to go up tomorrow

12-12-2557-15-04-07-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The transport ministry has given a green light for taxis to use the new metre rate beginning tomorrow.

The new rate will see a phasal rise in taxi fare from 8 -13% , and two baht/minute rise in case of traffic jams that the vehicle can move no more than six kilometres an hour.

Under the new metre fare system, the starting rate for the first kilometre will be 35 baht.

Over 1-10 kilometres will be 5.50 baht/km, 10-20 kilometres will be 6.50 baht/km, 20-40 kilometres will be 7.50 baht/km, 40-60 kilometres will be 8.00 baht/km, 60-80 kilometres will be 9.00 baht/km, and over 80 kilometres will be 10.50 baht/km.

In case of traffic jam which the vehicle can not move or move slowly of not more than six kilometres an hour, an extra fare of 2 baht per minute will be added.

Taxi service via taxi call centre, 20 baht extra charge will be added.

For taxi service at taxi stands arranged by authorities at the Suvarnabhumi airport, extra charge of 50 baht will be added in addition to the rates.

The new taxi rates will become effective tomorrow after it was published in the Royal Gazette today.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/taxi-fare-go-tomorrow

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-12

Every day I see on TV that oil prices are lowest in 5 years, yet the report speaks of increase in energy costs. Am I really dumb or what?

Even taxi drivers has to eat, must be that kind of energy.

To be honest, without a raise in taxi fares for so long must be tough for taxi drivers.

At least the raise doesn't seem to be made by greedy people.

Should be interesting to see implemented. Can't wait for my next taxi journey. I don't mind a fare increase, it is long overdue but to see it implemented with little to no warning....hmmmm....

When they refuse to use the meter next time, it'll go from 300 baht to 400 baht. Simple.

• Like 1

Rise in fare, should also mean rise in service and courtesy.

We were told in the recent past that a fair increase would be accepted only after the taxis were inspected and cleaned up. Did that happen??

Both of you are dreaming!!

Edited by sawati

What a garbled report. I await a proper and precise description of the changes, because what I see here is just nonsensical.

How could it have been clearer, it gave a precise formula to determine the fare....anyone with intelligence above the threshold for being mentally retarded should be able to understand it.

• Like 1

Here's my question: How is the new fee schedule loaded into the taxi meters since it occurring so fast and there are tens of thousands of metered taxis?

I would assume and hope the meters are calibrated/fee schedule loaded by some govt agency and associated documentation applied to the meters to hopefully prevent the meters from being calibrated/hacked/modified to read a higher fare than allowed by the govt. Or do taxi drivers/companies just get to set the meters to calculate the new fare schedule and then we must trust the drivers/companies.

And what about enforcement of laws regarding Taxis " refusing to take passengers" and "switching on meter" , a telephone number to call where it my be logged and forgotten about? Pathetic country

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1