Korean Air executive to quit remaining posts after nuts scandal

webfact

Korean Air executive to quit remaining posts after nuts scandal
By Jethro Mullen, CNN

(CNN) -- The Korean Air executive who kicked up a fuss over a bag of nuts will resign from her remaining posts with the airline, the company chairman -- who is also her father -- said Friday.

The executive, Heather Cho, found herself at the center of a media storm after she ordered that a plane turn back to the gate and that a flight attendant be removed -- all because she was served nuts in a bag instead of on a plate.

The incident, which took place last week at New York's JFK airport, stirred anger among the South Korean public over Cho's behavior.

Cho, whose Korean name is Cho Hyun-ah, resigned Tuesday from the airline's catering and in-flight sales business, and from its cabin service and hotel business divisions, the company said.

But the 40-year-old kept her title as a vice president of the national carrier, according to company spokesman.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/12/world/asia/korean-air-nuts-scandal/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-12-12

She's filthy rich. Other than the negative press, what would she care?

One of my best friends is extremely wealthy but he's a nice guy. He inherited a large privately owned company in Los Angeles. After the father died he had no interest in running the company and sold it to a conglomerate.

For the founder of a company, it can be his life. He might work 20 hour days. But his heirs???

I can't think of a single large American company which was founded by one guy whose heirs kept the company private after he passed on.

This is more a trend in Asia where businesses are passed down to the next generation

Her dad owns Hanjin Group and besides the Hyundai and Samsung family ...I don't think you can get bigger than that

She came out to apologize more for following the strict Confucius rule than anything ....probably beat a few servants before she came out tearing or pretending to be

Edited by LawrenceChee

One of my best friends is extremely wealthy but he's a nice guy. He inherited a large privately owned company in Los Angeles. After the father died he had no interest in running the company and sold it to a conglomerate.

For the founder of a company, it can be his life. He might work 20 hour days. But his heirs???

I can't think of a single large American company which was founded by one guy whose heirs kept the company private after he passed on.

Gallo Winery. Founded by two bothers, Ernest and Julio. Still privately owned and a wonderful former-employer.

"E. & J. Gallo Winery is the largest winery in the world today. Family-owned, with fourteen family members, spanning three generations of the Gallo family, actively working in the business".

Their generosity is one reason I'm able to live in Thailand. Check Wikipedia or the Gallo website.

As for the antics of the Korea Airline executive. Wealth, position and education does not endow the person with manners, civility or gentility. From the article, it sounds like she should be walking.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

Gallo Winery. Founded by two bothers, Ernest and Julio. Still privately owned and a wonderful former-employer. Their generosity is one reason I'm able to live in Thailand. Check Wikipedia.
Or how about the Murdoch family at Newscorp?

As if that was not enough, the head steward on the flight spoke up after days of silence, telling Korea’s KBS-TV on Friday that Mr. Cho’s daughter had forced him to kneel and apologize on the plane as punishment for the way one of his stewards had served the nuts to passengers in first class.

It beggars belief.

I would definitely have been resigning there and then and telling her to participate in some sex and travel.

Edited by Chicog

Ms Cho should emigrate to Thailand, where the Elites are treated with much greater deference ....

I was driving on a 4 lane hwy in northernmost Thailand. Chilly night. Ever 50 meters was at least one lonely cold cop, holding a red-tipped flashlight, and groups of cops at each cross-street and turn-around. It went on for at least 50 miles. They were getting ready to force all traffic heading one direction to pull over and stop for 15 minutes, (approx. 4000 cars and trucks) in order to enable a procession of cars and vans to zoom by and not stop at traffic lights. VIP's in Asia, go figure. Edited by boomerangutang

Ms Cho should emigrate to Thailand, where the Elites are treated with much greater deference ....

I was driving on a 4 lane hwy in northernmost Thailand. Chilly night. Ever 50 meters was at least one lonely cold cop, holding a red-tipped flashlight, and groups of cops at each cross-street and turn-around. It went on for at least 50 miles. They were getting ready to force all traffic heading one direction to pull over and stop for 15 minutes, (approx. 4000 cars and trucks) in order to enable a procession of cars and vans to zoom by and not stop at traffic lights. VIP's in Asia, go figure.

This happens quite often in BKK .... a real pain 99% of the time, as you are stuck for 10 minutes in the roadblocks .... and a joy 1% of the time if your car is just ahead of the convoy and the cops are hurrying you to keep ahead of the procession.

I was driving on a 4 lane hwy in northernmost Thailand. Chilly night. Ever 50 meters was at least one lonely cold cop, holding a red-tipped flashlight, and groups of cops at each cross-street and turn-around. It went on for at least 50 miles. They were getting ready to force all traffic heading one direction to pull over and stop for 15 minutes, (approx. 4000 cars and trucks) in order to enable a procession of cars and vans to zoom by and not stop at traffic lights. VIP's in Asia, go figure.

This happens quite often in BKK .... a real pain 99% of the time, as you are stuck for 10 minutes in the roadblocks .... and a joy 1% of the time if your car is just ahead of the convoy and the cops are hurrying you to keep ahead of the procession.

Yet another reason I'm glad I don't reside in Bkk. Even so, the VIP traffic thing is archaic. To be using so many cops, and inconveniencing so many drivers, just so a few vans can zip through .....it's like something out a badly written sequel to 1984.

• Like 2