Thailand Tipping - when is it a definite NO?

David48

many rainy seasons ago when i was a bachelor, living/working in Saudi Arabia and holidaying in Thailand i insulted a massage lady with a huge tip. that made her so angry that she insulted me with a blowjob unsure.png

People in PAttaya should really have their own forum. Thai poeple that go to work in Pattaya are NOT typical Thai people, they go there ONLY for the money. Massage joint there is another word for brothel and what you paid for is called dessert, I believe, or pudding for the unrefined

Pattaya is a sex tourist destination and there is a huge separation between Thais and foreigners. Mostly, the Thais hate foreigners but put up with them because of the money - the ones that don't tip are hated even more - all due to the sexpats being ill-informed about Thai customs and traditions. I've seen foreigners tip the woman who sells pineapples on the street even after she is charging them twice what I paid as I spoke Isarn with her.

Fine,, but look at the state of pattaya. I want to inform the expats who come to Isarn and other partds of Thailand that tipping is not one of their customs and people are proud here and do feel insulted when some oil worker comes in thinking he is the SUltan of Brunei. A friend of mine was earning 500 quid a day about 10 years ago gave every waitress a 1000 baht tip one - 7 in total. SUre they were happy but if everyone did this what do you think would happen?

Please don't compare Pattaya to the real Thailand.

Dear Sir,

people living in the wilderness should not make wild claims and irrelevant assumptions. what i clearly described happened in Bangkok in 1974, i.e. forty years ago when i was a tourist and didn't think in my wildest dreams ever to become a resident within the vicinity of Pattaya.

people living in the wilderness should also refrain to impose their ridiculous thoughts and irrelevant judgments on others and rather concentrate educating their wives/girlfriends instead of trying to educate arrivés who are not in dire need of an education.

it goes without saying that the afore-mentioned is based on my [not so] humble opinion; mileages of others may vary.

wai2.gif

In Pattaya with that amount teeth would be used too.

Thailand is Thailand not the US or another country. Many of us came here because of that so object to those...it seems mostly American, who try their best to turn it into the country they left and which I have no desire to go to.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tipping is no no for many reasons:

1. It tells the recipient that wrong price was set from the beginning (and how the hell are we to know better than the owner?)

Because we are the customer. If the price is "wrong", we won't eat there.

1. So if the price is right, why pay more?

2. Yes, it will, Paying more tells the seller demand is higher than supply, thus contributing to increased prices.

3. A smarthone cost from 2500B. And the amount of data u need to download the entire syntax-library and instructions for Assembler / C++ is about 10MB, or 7Baht worth of data. But sure - if you find a thai that doesn't afford that (even less so owns a smartphone), you can tip them.

4. My smartphone is a very practical information tool. And eating out is what many people actually do to fulfill the energy need for a day. But if you go to restaurant to show-off I'm hard to believe anyone actually would be impressed, so you can stop doing that.

This is maybe OT but when I was in Tokyo I left some coins in a restaurant. 30 meters out, the waitress came chasing me down the street and told me I forgot to get my change. Interesting....

Edited by MRYANG

1. So if the price is right, why pay more?

2. Yes, it will, Paying more tells the seller demand is higher than supply, thus contributing to increased prices.

3. A smarthone cost from 2500B. And the amount of data u need to download the entire syntax-library and instructions for Assembler / C++ is about 10MB, or 7Baht worth of data. But sure - if you find a thai that doesn't afford that (even less so owns a smartphone), you can tip them.

4. My smartphone is a very practical information tool. And eating out is what many people actually do to fulfill the energy need for a day. But if you go to restaurant to show-off I'm hard to believe anyone actually would be impressed, so you can stop doing that.

This is maybe OT but when I was in Tokyo I left some coins in a restaurant. 30 meters out, the waitress came chasing me down the street and told me I forgot to get my change. Interesting....

Tipping is not expected at the restaurants you patronize so I wouldn't worry about it.

many rainy seasons ago when i was a bachelor, living/working in Saudi Arabia and holidaying in Thailand i insulted a massage lady with a huge tip. that made her so angry that she insulted me with a blowjob unsure.png

People in PAttaya should really have their own forum. Thai poeple that go to work in Pattaya are NOT typical Thai people, they go there ONLY for the money. Massage joint there is another word for brothel and what you paid for is called dessert, I believe, or pudding for the unrefined

Pattaya is a sex tourist destination and there is a huge separation between Thais and foreigners. Mostly, the Thais hate foreigners but put up with them because of the money - the ones that don't tip are hated even more - all due to the sexpats being ill-informed about Thai customs and traditions. I've seen foreigners tip the woman who sells pineapples on the street even after she is charging them twice what I paid as I spoke Isarn with her.

Fine,, but look at the state of pattaya. I want to inform the expats who come to Isarn and other partds of Thailand that tipping is not one of their customs and people are proud here and do feel insulted when some oil worker comes in thinking he is the SUltan of Brunei. A friend of mine was earning 500 quid a day about 10 years ago gave every waitress a 1000 baht tip one - 7 in total. SUre they were happy but if everyone did this what do you think would happen?

Dear Sir,

people living in the wilderness should not make wild claims and irrelevant assumptions. what i clearly described happened in Bangkok in 1974, i.e. forty years ago when i was a tourist and didn't think in my wildest dreams ever to become a resident within the vicinity of Pattaya.

people living in the wilderness should also refrain to impose their ridiculous thoughts and irrelevant judgments on others and rather concentrate educating their wives/girlfriends instead of trying to educate arrivés who are not in dire need of an education.

it goes without saying that the afore-mentioned is based on my [not so] humble opinion; mileages of others may vary.

wai2.gif

Rather formal Sir. Saying I live in the wilderness is an even wilder claim. I know you've lived in Pattaya for over 10 years. I live in Amphur Nai Muang Khon Kaen which means in the city centre and have done for over 10 years. The fastest developing Thai city and expected to become the capital city in the not so distant future - hardly wilderness.

I seem to remember you saying that you don't have/want any Thai friends and can't and don't make any effort to speak the language or integrate. You have no Thai relatives and live in a tourist town yet seem to think that I should listen to your thoughts on Thai culture because you were a tourist 40 years ago.

Rather below the belt bringing my wife into this. What do you mean educate her? You know nothing about her. Stick to giving advice on the breadhead forum or join a Urdu poetry one.

Dear Sir,

wai2.gif

Rather formal Sir. Saying I live in the wilderness is an even wilder claim. I know you've lived in Pattaya for over 10 years. I live in Amphur Nai Muang Khon Kaen which means in the city centre and have done for over 10 years. The fastest developing Thai city and expected to become the capital city in the not so distant future - hardly wilderness.

I seem to remember you saying that you don't have/want any Thai friends and can't and don't make any effort to speak the language or integrate. You have no Thai relatives and live in a tourist town yet seem to think that I should listen to your thoughts on Thai culture because you were a tourist 40 years ago.

Rather below the belt bringing my wife into this. What do you mean educate her? You know nothing about her. Stick to giving advice on the breadhead forum or join a Urdu poetry one.

It seems like you are attempting price fixing. If nobody tips than the wait staff will not look at you as a cheap Charlie when you do not tip. So your advice (and I have been reading this advice on Lonely Planet and Thai Visa since I came here in 2004) is to never tip. The phrase used previously was "When you tip you ruin it for everybody". You are rebeling against prices being driven up. If nobody tips than everyone is equal and we can keep the boot on the neck of the Thai waitstaff who are adequetly paid 300 baht a day. And in the worst case scenario, like tourist areas, if everyone starts tipping 40 baht, than some farang decide to start tipping 100 baht. This is a slippery slope.

The problem you are having is that other farang and Thais are using their tips to:

1. Get better service. To gain face.

2. Avoid getting bad service. Avoid losing face.

but most common and perhaps most damning

3. Be nice.

Perhaps you do not value human relationships. Tippers do. They see the same smiling face and they build a relationship even if they speak little Thai and he or she is only bringing their food to a table. They know that these people do not make a lot of money and they give them a tip because it feels good to do nice things for other people.

Edited by farang000999

Sorry, but I see a lot of "Cheap Charlie" comments on here, "Keen Yow".

My Thai Wife had more sense than most of the people here-- so if she wanted to Tip, it made sense to me.

As Farang, our backgrounds are totally different and our standards are not the same. We are still Guests--

I've been a Guest for 10 years. Newbies that have No Sense, and think they have sooo much money, can leave

as soon as possible!

Dear Sir,

wai2.gif

It seems like you are attempting price fixing. If nobody tips than the wait staff will not look at you as a cheap Charlie when you do not tip. So your advice (and I have been reading this advice on Lonely Planet and Thai Visa since I came here in 2004) is to never tip. The phrase used previously was "When you tip you ruin it for everybody". You are rebeling against prices being driven up. If nobody tips than everyone is equal and we can keep the boot on the neck of the Thai waitstaff who are adequetly paid 300 baht a day. And in the worst case scenario, like tourist areas, if everyone starts tipping 40 baht, than some farang decide to start tipping 100 baht. This is a slippery slope.

The problem you are having is that other farang and Thais are using their tips to:

1. Get better service. To gain face.

2. Avoid getting bad service. Avoid losing face.

but most common and perhaps most damning

3. Be nice.

Perhaps you do not value human relationships. Tippers do. They see the same smiling face and they build a relationship even if they speak little Thai and he or she is only bringing their food to a table. They know that these people do not make a lot of money and they give them a tip because it feels good to do nice things for other people.

Perhaps there is more to it than that - "3.Be nice". Maybe they are suffering from codependency and want everyone to like them. I know for a fact that there are many men here who have been or should be members of SLAA( http://www.slaafws.org/slaaforme )

I really don't care what anyone else thinks of me although there was a time when it was a big issue. This gaining face you talk about is probably by people who suffer from low self-esteem.

Avoiding bad service is a fair reason but I agree with you it does ruin it for everyone else.

My brother was here a few years ago and tipped a Hotel car park attendant 500 baht for looking after my car for an hour. Every time I go to that hotel now I am recognized and given a prime parking space, but only give 20-50 baht tip.

Sorry, but I see a lot of "Cheap Charlie" comments on here, "Keen Yow".

My Thai Wife had more sense than most of the people here-- so if she wanted to Tip, it made sense to me.

As Farang, our backgrounds are totally different and our standards are not the same. We are still Guests--

I've been a Guest for 10 years. Newbies that have No Sense, and think they have sooo much money, can leave

as soon as possible!

It's kee neeow.

What happened to her sense?

Well, it all depends. You could see the "tip" as 'giving to charity" or as "leaving a little behind", or as "helping their family back home"as a "bribe" to always ensure good future service, or and more. When asked what her favorite restaurant was, The Duchess of Windsor said, "Where you are known." One of the ways that you can be "known", in a good way, is to tip correctly. Before falling in love with Chiang Mai, I often stay for weeks on 22nd floor of 4-star in BKK. The executive lounge was on the 23rd. I used to lavish those wonderfully dressed young concierge ladies up there because they were Often so very helpful to me, and cared for me like little mother hens. If you are living well, then you can "bring some people along with you", particularly people who have served you well for some time. This is when the tips get bigger and more frequent. I say, look into the persons eyes. If there is a smiling someone looking back at you and they did the job, well, let us just say, "you will surely know". Sharing is caring, ya know.

It's a national sport to overcharge Falangs on everything. Thais don't tip, you'd be a fool to tip here, and that's what they think you are!

i always like it when a poor boy calls me a fool and i give a flying fàrt what "they" think of me laugh.png

I sold at my local market today ,

I sold one part for $20 , the guy did not give me a tip and I gave him good service ,

should I fell insulted ?

And yes this was in the USA......

Oh and I went to Carls Jr for a burger on the way home , I did not leave a tip at the drive up window , Have I broken the "tipping" rules ?

I am so confused wub.png

I sold at my local market today ,

I sold one part for $20 , the guy did not give me a tip and I gave him good service ,

should I fell insulted ?

And yes this was in the USA......

Oh and I went to Carls Jr for a burger on the way home , I did not leave a tip at the drive up window , Have I broken the "tipping" rules ?

I am so confused wub.png

Don't be confused. You are doing what you do, it's that simple.

Only tip at a restaurant or bar.. And put it in the waiters hand and don't leave it on the tray.

Leave what you think the good service is worth if it's crap it's zero.

Don't get taxis much but they have been trying to give themselves tips. Not that it's much just funny.

Edited by wow64

It's a national sport to overcharge Falangs on everything. Thais don't tip, you'd be a fool to tip here, and that's what they think you are!

i always like it when a poor boy calls me a fool and i give a flying fàrt what "they" think of me laugh.png

What do you mean a "poor boy"?

What do you mean a "poor boy"?

Empty as a pocket. Look for the guy walking down 2nd road with diamonds on the soles of his shoes.

Edited by thailiketoo

I tip when I feel like it...normally when service people have done a good job when they are not expected to...and I am free from western constraints where 15% is expected from everyone...

and what I hate is when well paid westerners that I have been with hiss: 'don't do that! then they will all expect us to do the same!'

pathetic...

Business owners who're trying to get guests/customers to help them pay their staff what they, the owner, should be paying them in the 1st place, will insist that substantial tipping is some kind of moral duty, but I absolutely will not tip if a service charge has already been charged (exc in hotels; see below). Nor will I tip for bad service. Otherwise usually 10% give or take for good service; less as the service level dictates. The 15-20% stuff is absolute nonsense for Thailand (unless being laughed at behind your back is what you're trying to buy). I do make it a point to leave some spare change if I've got it for the hotel housekeeper. Also something for the doorman who gets me a taxi ensuring the meter will be used.

The kenieou stuff is strictly for the easily duped and is a product of ever more mercenary, entitlement-minded, foreigner-blaming local attitudes, which I don't choose to subsidize.

Business owners who're trying to get guests/customers to help them pay their staff what they, the owner, should be paying them in the 1st place, will insist that substantial tipping is some kind of moral duty

Is this a big problem in Thailand? I've never been anywhere where the owner has tried to get me to pay a tip.

Business owners who're trying to get guests/customers to help them pay their staff what they, the owner, should be paying them in the 1st place, will insist that substantial tipping is some kind of moral duty

Is this a big problem in Thailand? I've never been anywhere where the owner has tried to get me to pay a tip.

Lol. What? You haven't seen the signs they put up in their places of business threatening violence to those not tipping enough?! And they don't come up to you with a gun to your head? Gosh!

Relax. This is about underpaying workers, not physical confrontation.

Let your fingers do the walking. Plenty of posting on TV from BOs declaring their qualifications to comment on this and then stating their opinion. The idea is that some kind of "social pressure", and sour worker attitudes fueled by it I guess, will result in the "wage gap" being filled by hapless, guilt-ridden customers. Obviously, BOs aren't going to directly confront their customers.

Lol. What? You haven't seen the signs they put up in their places of business threatening violence to those not tipping enough?! And they don't come up to you with a gun to your head? Gosh!

Let your fingers do the walking. Plenty of posting on TV from BOs declaring their qualifications to comment on this and then stating their opinion. The idea is that some kind of "social pressure", and sour worker attitudes fueled by it I guess, will result in the "wage gap" being filled by hapless, guilt-ridden customers. Obviously, BOs aren't going to directly confront their customers.

In the end, the customer pays the food and beverages he consumed. With that, the customer indirectly pays the staff, the a/c, the rent, the water, China / silverware, the business owner himself, the liquor license fees etc.

Now, off you say the business owner should pay the staff more, who do you think will end up paying for it...indirectly?

I like the system where the staff get minimum wage and based on their skills ( which the customer decides ), get extra "salary" for work well done.

If we pay them a higher salary and don't brutally force :) the customer to tip, service will be a hit or miss. And finding qualified / good / motivated servers IS near impossible.

In the end, the customer pays the food and beverages he consumed. With that, the customer indirectly pays the staff, the a/c, the rent, the water, China / silverware, the business owner himself, the liquor license fees etc.

Now, off you say the business owner should pay the staff more, who do you think will end up paying for it...indirectly?

I like the system where the staff get minimum wage and based on their skills ( which the customer decides ), get extra "salary" for work well done.

If we pay them a higher salary and don't brutally force :) the customer to tip, service will be a hit or miss. And finding qualified / good / motivated servers IS near impossible.

Fine, if you want/expect/depend on tipping, then DON'T charge a service charge. But I refuse to pay for the same thing twice. If you can't secure a competitive market-driven wage to your workers, your business plan is fundamentally flawed and you shouldn't be in business. It's YOUR problem, and just plain bad business trying to make it the customer's problem. He can always go elsewhere.

Fine, if you want/expect/depend on tipping, then DON'T charge a service charge. But I refuse to pay for the same thing twice. If you can't secure a competitive market-driven wage to your workers, your business plan is fundamentally flawed and you shouldn't be in business. It's YOUR problem, and just plain bad business trying to make it the customer's problem. He can always go elsewhere.

I agree 100%. Service charge should not be added to the bill. It should be up to the customer to decide if their server did a good job or not. Adding a service charge is basically directly having the customer pay the staff salary. It won't motivate the staff to do a good job.

I ordered a beer in a night club and gave the waiter 1000 baht note. He then went and chatted with some girls at another table for about 20 minutes before going to get my change. When he finally came back with the change he started demanding a tip. No way with that kind of service!

One way I like to make merit is "opposite bartering" when the vendor says thirty baht, I will say "thirty five". Not always but if the seller is polite I like to give a bit extra as I know they don't make much. I always tip my barber, security guard and the guy who looks after my car. It makes things go smoothly and they look after me.

14, this is 13. 13, 14. Good luck. :)

Business owners who're trying to get guests/customers to help them pay their staff what they, the owner, should be paying them in the 1st place, will insist that substantial tipping is some kind of moral duty, but I absolutely will not tip if a service charge has already been charged (exc in hotels; see below). Nor will I tip for bad service. Otherwise usually 10% give or take for good service; less as the service level dictates. The 15-20% stuff is absolute nonsense for Thailand (unless being laughed at behind your back is what you're trying to buy). I do make it a point to leave some spare change if I've got it for the hotel housekeeper. Also something for the doorman who gets me a taxi ensuring the meter will be used.

The kenieou stuff is strictly for the easily duped and is a product of ever more mercenary, entitlement-minded, foreigner-blaming local attitudes, which I don't choose to subsidize.

Brilliant post, love it when some dek serv hands me the bill and I hand it to the mrs, his fake smile dissapears faster than snow off a dyke.

The Thais dont put up with this crap why should we?

Myths like this usually spread by CC farang bar owners too effin cheap to pay their staff a decent wage.

You wont guilt trip my mrs into paying over the odds or giving a tip for crap service.

The man ahead of me ordered 6 sticks - Bt 10 a stick.

Handed him a 100 Baht Note and said 'Keep the Change'.

Now, Bt40 ain't that much ... but it's 40% of the Bill.

You are very bad at maths. The bill was 60 Baht, and 40 Baht more is never 40% of the bill. It is 66,666 % of the bill

• 1 year later...

The common 10% buak on a bill absolves me of tipping any extra. Bars & restaurants that don't add the 10% apparently don't need or want it. As for the rest, taxi drivers get rounded to the next ten and + 10 or 20 baht depending on the fare and hotel maids get a 50 baht note on the pillow every morning whether it's 500 or 5000 baht a night room.

My right isn't necessarily your wrong, and V/V.