£43...

doppa

Probably 'do it yourself' and nobody offering to clean your windscreen either. I went home one time after having not been there for a while and sat in my car at a petrol station for a minute or two thinking 'where's all the staff?'. My next thought was 'four pound a gallon and I've got to do it myself?'.

• Like 1

Last November in England, first time for the wife. pulled into petrol station and as I was getting out she said, "You have to put in yourself?", yes I replied, Then she said......"Do you know what you are doing?" w00t.gif

bye the way it cost me 62 pound too!! bah.gif

• Like 1

Probably 'do it yourself' and nobody offering to clean your windscreen either. I went home one time after having not been there for a while and sat in my car at a petrol station for a minute or two thinking 'where's all the staff?'. My next thought was 'four pound a gallon and I've got to do it myself?'.

Been a long time since someone offered that. Where do you fuel up?

But hardly a day goes by when some member does not moan that life in Thailand has gotten "too dear" and he they no choice but to pack up and move back to Englund!

Health care (if NHS is ok for you) & education are certainly cheaper.

Cheapest price I can find for a Fiesta in Thailand is £11,500, In the UK list IS £9995 which can usually knocked down a bit. How much petrol would the difference pay for?

Settle for a very low mileage, one owner 2-3 year old Fiesta still under warranty and you can knock at least another 3 grand off that price and that's a lot of petrol.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/ford/fiesta

Edited by uptheos

But hardly a day goes by when some member does not moan that life in Thailand has gotten "too dear" and he they no choice but to pack up and move back to Englund!

Yes and.....the price of oil has dropped considerably. In many countries the price of petrol has fallen commensurately. Not so in Thailand.

While I agree with the overall premise of your post, in the case of gas/oil, someone is gouging the public here in LOS.

with the oil price at its lowest for a long time you would think there would be a reflection of the price at the pump, as of yet the uk price has not changed.

by the way unless you've got money to burn, i would never buy a new car again, just my opinion.

with regards to nhs, education, and general cost of living between the two countries, it just about breaks even believe it or not, and that includes private health insurance and paying prem. school prices, sounds nuts doesn't it, so what's stopping us, well that's another story for another day, and about 15 months wait.

lots to consider.

re

the price of oil has dropped considerably. In many countries the price of petrol has fallen commensurately. Not so in Thailand

this is the price per litre of gas at the susco gas station next to chiang mai commercial college tonight !

so how much does a litre cost in england now ? ... coz ive no idea :(

dave2

ps ... the bahts at about 52 ish to the pound at the mo

post-42592-0-52157300-1418404326_thumb.j

Think all the "Whinging POMS" (moaning Britts) have moved from Australia to Thailand.

We used to have Lorry Loads of them. The Oz Government used to subsidize their fares to Australia...it only cost them TEN Pounds to come out.

Even the Great Train Robber, Ronald Biggs managed to get to Oz for Ten Quid. I had the fun of being involved in the Media Chase after him before he took off to South America.

I digress.... The "Whinging Poms," used to tell us how things were done and were so much "better at home in England." Just like many of them now do in Thailand.

Quite a few of them actually took some good Aussie advice and decided to "Go back to where they #@&*#ing well came from. " BUT some of those got 'ome and found they'd made an 'orrible mistake. They then paid Full-fare BACK to Australia. They became known as "To-and-Froms" (Poms who went back and forth.)

In case you are wondering about the word, "POMS" it was derived from the sign worn on the backs of the Uniforms of Prisoners, who were sent from England to the "Penal" Settlement. The letters, "P O M E" were emblazoned on the backs of their shirts. It meant, "Prisoner Of Mother England."

Ten Quid (Pound) trips to Australia are a thing of the past and anyway it's become far too expensive to live there, so NOW they come to Thailand in the hope that if they grizzle often enough, the place might become , Just Like England....and then they'll all pack up and perhaps try their luck in

North Korea where a certain young Gentleman who was educated in Switzerland, is probably hankering for some Britts to come and show his people how things ought to be done.

by the way unless you've got money to burn, i would never buy a new car again, just my opinion.

Quite right doppa, there are so many one owner low mileage cars in UK with FSH that can be bought for peanuts and new car buying is a mugs game. Over here people have to pay exorbitant prices even for crap dinky toy cars, either that or have their wallets strangled and take a chance on a used car with no service history, but shiny on the outside of course. Most cars here have been 'clocked' and they're usually sold on with some major fault. I've lost count of the foreigners here who have spent 3,4,500,000 on a used car and ended up in tears. Some people manage to find a genuine vehicle but it's the exception and not the rule. If you buy used here, be very, very scared.

Think all the "Whinging POMS" (moaning Britts) have moved from Australia to Thailand.

We used to have Lorry Loads of them. The Oz Government used to subsidize their fares to Australia...it only cost them TEN Pounds to come out.

Even the Great Train Robber, Ronald Biggs managed to get to Oz for Ten Quid. I had the fun of being involved in the Media Chase after him before he took off to South America.

I digress.... The "Whinging Poms," used to tell us how things were done and were so much "better at home in England." Just like many of them now do in Thailand.

Quite a few of them actually took some good Aussie advice and decided to "Go back to where they #@&*#ing well came from. " BUT some of those got 'ome and found they'd made an 'orrible mistake. They then paid Full-fare BACK to Australia. They became known as "To-and-Froms" (Poms who went back and forth.)

In case you are wondering about the word, "POMS" it was derived from the sign worn on the backs of the Uniforms of Prisoners, who were sent from England to the "Penal" Settlement. The letters, "P O M E" were emblazoned on the backs of their shirts. It meant, "Prisoner Of Mother England."

Ten Quid (Pound) trips to Australia are a thing of the past and anyway it's become far too expensive to live there, so NOW they come to Thailand in the hope that if they grizzle often enough, the place might become , Just Like England....and then they'll all pack up and perhaps try their luck in

North Korea where a certain young Gentleman who was educated in Switzerland, is probably hankering for some Britts to come and show his people how things ought to be done.

If Australia is so wonderful how come half of them live in the UK and most of the other half live here in Thailand. I need to go to Australia about once a year, I hate getting on the plane to go and can't wait to get on the plane to get out of the place. The very word pom, which may or may not have the meaning you suggest, is usually used in a derogatory way nowadays.

The second hand car market, in UK, is unbelievable--some real bargains--last time we went back for a year there, I bought a lovely Nissan Almera for 1900 Pounds and at the end of the year sold it for 50 quid less to a friend, it was a super car.

Ten Quid (Pound) trips to Australia are a thing of the past and anyway it's become far toonh expensive to live there, so NOW they come to Thailand in the hope that if they grizzle often enough, the place might become , Just Like England....and then they'll all pack up and perhaps try their luck in

You forgot to mention that your Great Grandad managed to get to Oz for stealing women's knickers off a washing line

cheesy.gif

Personally, I like Australia, but have not visited since their dollar got so strong. I thought it was quite affordable 10 or 15 years ago.

Our Oz dollar is heading south and has been for quite a few weeks. Not long ago it was line ball with the US dollar but is now stagnating at 82 cents to the US $ and tipped to head further downwards.

As we have no manufacturing base left we have nothing to sell apart from minerals and as China slows down we go belly up.

Houses, farms and iconic Oz brand products are being sold to overseas investors and Australia has now become one of the most expensive places in the world to live.Sydney, I believe, is now ranked the 3rd most expensive city in the world. Real estate prices are unreal.

UG is right 10-15 years ago it was the "lucky country" those days sadly are gone.Its only the poor state of the Thai baht that relieves the pressure on expats living here, relying on pensions or investments.

Lastly the word "Pom" can be used in an affectionate or derogatory way it depends mostly on the adjective preceding it biggrin.png

My parents were "10 pound Poms" in the 50's when Australia desperately needed migrants our life in Oz was wonderful, now we ship refugees into prison camps on faraway islands !

Ten Quid (Pound) trips to Australia are a thing of the past and anyway it's become far toonh expensive to live there, so NOW they come to Thailand in the hope that if they grizzle often enough, the place might become , Just Like England....and then they'll all pack up and perhaps try their luck in

You forgot to mention that your Great Grandad managed to get to Oz for stealing women's knickers off a washing line

cheesy.gif

steal a loaf of bread and save yourself the £10 fare whistling.gif

• Like 1

To a large degree the various fuel taxes in Thailand is what the country operates on, on a daily basis, vat, and fuel are what keeps the <removed> fed.

Edited by onthedarkside
Derogatory emark removed. Forum rule 11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand