Monk Gives Farang A Slap.

RustBucket

Monk though he was special. Wanted two seat to snooze on. Didn't like the farang asking him to get up so he could sit down.

Tingtong tourist. Maybe if you get slapped by a monk, you would think differenty. Pregnant women getting up for amonk, no big deal?? What planet do you live on?

Fai is what a Thai listener / uploader heard. The word was actually the English "Fine"

quoted a totally unrelated post.

Edited by Baa_Mango

Ok,

from the Thai viewpoint the monk behaved very bad...

but I think the monk is quite advanced on his way to enlightenment; he could sense that this bloke was in urgent need of a public bitch-slapping.

Look at this sorry excuse of a man: "respected" ,non Thai speaking, English teacher for 10 years, in flip flops, shorts, pink shirt and this ridiculous wig on his head in the 3rd class compartment of a third world train... people like this give us caucasians a bad reputation and i hope this humiliation works as a wake up call for this guy to rethink his live.

• Like 1

Ok,

but I think the monk is quite advanced on his way to enlightenment; he could sense that this bloke was in urgent need of a public bitch-slapping.

Look at this sorry excuse of a man: "respected" ,non Thai speaking, English teacher for 10 years, in flip flops, shorts, pink shirt and this ridiculous wig on his head in the 3rd class compartment of a third world train... people like this give us caucasians a bad reputation and i hope this humiliation works as a wake up call for this guy to rethink his live.

Some people love the chance to slag off anything to do with Thailand. Many monks have mental disorders and are trying to get better, many are alcoholics and drug addicts that jut can't survive on the outside. Many are spiritual masters well on the way to nirvana. many are just in for a few days or a couple of weeks before getting married, many are social workers. Don't judge the Sangha by the actions of one monks.

Plus, why the hell shouldn't monks be able to use methods of communication like computers and phones. I speak to an alcoholic monk from the USA who has been in a forest temple for 20 years - he says the internet and odd phone call keeps him sane.

If the Western guy has been here 10 years, why can't he say can I sit next to you in Thai?

i wonder which one of the 12 values the monk was demonstrating?

Perhaps number 5? debates? 555.

The Twelve Values, bestowed by Gen. Prayuth to Thai children in a televised broadcast in July, are the following:

1. Loyalty to the Nation, the Religion, and the Monarchy

2. Honesty, sacrifice, endurance, and noble ideology for the greater good

3. Gratitude for parents, guardians, and teachers

4. Diligence in acquiring knowledge, via school studies and other methods

5. Preserving the Thai customs and tradition

6. Morality and good will for others

7. Correct understanding of democracy with the King as Head of State

8. Discipline, respect for law, and obedience to the older citizens

9. Constant consciousness to practice good deeds all the time, as taught by His Majesty the King

10. Practice of Self-Sufficient Economy in accordance with the teaching of His Majesty the King

11. Physical and mental strength. Refusal to surrender to religious sins.

12. Uphold the interest of the nation over oneself.

These are not Buddhist core values.

Not much different to the 10 commandments on which the USA legal system is built upon - the Supreme Court has them on the wall seemingly.

Ok,

Some people love the chance to slag off anything to do with Thailand. Many monks have mental disorders and are trying to get better, many are alcoholics and drug addicts that jut can't survive on the outside. Many are spiritual masters well on the way to nirvana. many are just in for a few days or a couple of weeks before getting married, many are social workers. Don't judge the Sangha by the actions of one monks.

Plus, why the hell shouldn't monks be able to use methods of communication like computers and phones. I speak to an alcoholic monk from the USA who has been in a forest temple for 20 years - he says the internet and odd phone call keeps him sane.

If the Western guy has been here 10 years, why can't he say can I sit next to you in Thai?

many are alcoholics and drug addicts that jut can't survive on the outside.

Well best they are kept on the inside..

My mrs speaks perfect Thai, her ya baa prostitute sister cant understand a word, blame the farang for the Thais problems as usual.

Nang nee dai mai?

Don't judge the Sangha by the actions of one monks.

My Thai mrs judges it by the actions of many, its got to the stage now she wont attend a temple in Bkk, preferring to use one in Nakon Nayok..

Next time you are on Suk Rd check out the so called monks, love the fake ones that come into someplace like Suda on Suk soi 14, clinging their bells, cant spaek a bloody word of Thai, ma jak wat arai?

Never seen real monks out collecting alms at eight or nine at night, never mind the gullible tourists think its the "real" Thailand.

He looks very genuine to me and the robes are not the wrong colour, monks do travel around on trains and buses. They do not beg for food they give the chance for people to make merit by giving, they do not need the food in most cases. if you think they go back to the wat after go into any malls and see them buying phones and laptops

Fake monk notice robe color. Many monks are just guys in the wat for a week or so and not really monks as opposed to the monks who live in the wat and do the begging rounds every morning.

Monks do not stay in the wat after the morning round - they can walk around as they please. And you can not take the robe color to see if the monk is genuine or not. The robes are bought in all kinds of small shops, so they color can vary a bit, just as police uniforms. If you see them eat after 9am, something is wrong though.(i spend a couple of months in a wat myself)

The monk in the picture is a clown, a shame the Farang in the movie is much smaller and does not speak Thai. He could have hit back, if he was able to communicate better with the other passengers. Monks do get a lot of perks and so, but in general normal Thai people are very aware, that some of them are just normal idiots using the Wat, as a get out of jail free card and similar.

I have seen some very "non-Buddhist" stuff going on in Wat¨s....ALOT actually.

• Like 1

well, he is on a train, and offers his seat to a lady. Then he moves about, searching for an alternate seat, sees the monk who is ccupying two seats, in a sleeping position.

Would YOU wake the monk ?

IMO, I would not. Not in Thailand. Live and let live.

I wouldn't ever mind this monk occupying any two seats, or maybe three, or maybe more. Leave him alone I would think.

It 's very impolite to wake up sleeping people and point out that the seat next to them must be cleared.

I would however, act so in any western country. Because in these places, we have a f...g right to a seat. The train

personell will agree with you.

Not so in accordance with the culture here.

You might consider monks being scum, useless, beggars and lazy guys trying to avoid work, pretending to pray for the goodness of us all, but Thais think very differently of them. You are guests here and are asked to respect the cultural roles

Maybe the seats were reserved for monks, like they are on riverboat taxis in Bangkok, amnd in buses. The Video doesn't clearly show any signs but maybe this seat was reserved for monks

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

It's gone viral on FB in Thailand. Apparently the Falung has been in Thailand for 10 years and is a teacher.

His wife is filing charges against the monk.

After 10 years the guy should know a bit of thai.

for next time:

"Kar-tot na crap, hai nang dai mai crap"

not hard. What an oaf

Yep agree after ten years should know a little Thai, but calling him an "oaf" You blame the victim here mate, Who's the "OAF"?

The guy was being polite and respectful, and the monk was anything but polite or respectful, defrock this faker and charge him with assault and throw him in gaol and see how he likes being slapped around for a while.

• Like 2

It's gone viral on FB in Thailand. Apparently the Falung has been in Thailand for 10 years and is a teacher.

His wife is filing charges against the monk.

After 10 years the guy should know a bit of thai.

for next time:

"Kar-tot na crap, hai nang dai mai crap"

not hard. What an oaf

Yep agree after ten years should know a little Thai, but calling him an "oaf" You blame the victim here mate, Who's the "OAF"?

The guy was being polite and respectful, and the monk was anything but polite or respectful, defrock this faker and charge him with assault and throw him in gaol and see how he likes being slapped around for a while.

Indeed and then he gets his missus to type a little Thai for him to try and cover his blushes.....

Ok,

Unbelievable!!! What the hell is wrong with some people? another person blaming the victim................

For all you know he (the falang) could be a pacifist? or simply turning the other check? maybe he is not a person that readily resorts to violence?

or knows he can't fight so just accepts it? That does not make him wrong!!!! But there are few people commenting here that are very much wrong.

Now that being said, as for me with many years training in four different styles of martial arts I would not have just sat there, and some slapping would be on.

• Like 1

Who would wanna sit next to a monk anyway i ask you?

How creepy.

dont you people ever go on bts or bus? Would you hassle a monk to moove over? Ive never seen it happen

And they reckon they got a handle on the culture.

the guy should be ashamed to stoop that low.

Please moove it mr monk i am so tired and old.haha

A proper monk ( not the 'hiding in the temple' brigade) wouldn't take the entire row.

Great example of Thai values in monk hood. Grossly unacceptable - no place in religion for people like this.

No surprises here really. As a teacher of close to 15 years, I'v seen a downward slide in academic performance and attitudes of my students. I mean, look at the leadership over the last decade. Where is the leadership for the youth? 80 percent of my students are sloths and can barely move their asses too finish their work. This monk business is just the tip of the iceberg of the moral decal of Thai society. Mai pen rai.

Sloth yep sums up many nicely but no doubt TV will bitch slap ( as they like to put it) me now.

By the by Im still looking for staff 350-400 a day need 2 people...............sorry no monks allowedlaugh.png

well, he is on a train, and offers his seat to a lady. Then he moves about, searching for an alternate seat, sees the monk who is ccupying two seats, in a sleeping position.

Would YOU wake the monk ?

IMO, I would not. Not in Thailand. Live and let live.

I wouldn't ever mind this monk occupying any two seats, or maybe three, or maybe more. Leave him alone I would think.

It 's very impolite to wake up sleeping people and point out that the seat next to them must be cleared.

I would however, act so in any western country. Because in these places, we have a f...g right to a seat. The train

personell will agree with you.

Not so in accordance with the culture here.

You might consider monks being scum, useless, beggars and lazy guys trying to avoid work, pretending to pray for the goodness of us all, but Thais think very differently of them. You are guests here and are asked to respect the cultural roles

Maybe the seats were reserved for monks, like they are on riverboat taxis in Bangkok, amnd in buses. The Video doesn't clearly show any signs but maybe this seat was reserved for monks

Crazygreg eh...........hmmmm maybe he could just have the whole train to himself eh?

• Like 1

I hope we all agree that one mans actions are not a representation of monks in general.

Theres worse?????

There always is. I could find a bad example of just about anything but that doesn't mean a label should be attached, is all I am pointing out.

Crazygreg eh...........hmmmm maybe he could just have the whole train to himself eh?

you didn't get my point, so here it is, again. Have you never noticed the signs that reserve certain seats for monks in public transport ? In the video the corner of the seat is always blocked from viewing . . if there was any sign it would have been posted there. And I made sure I wrote 'maybe' . . . . no offense meant

Edited by crazygreg44

Ok,

many are alcoholics and drug addicts that jut can't survive on the outside.

Well best they are kept on the inside..

My mrs speaks perfect Thai, her ya baa prostitute sister cant understand a word, blame the farang for the Thais problems as usual.

Nang nee dai mai?

Don't judge the Sangha by the actions of one monks.

My Thai mrs judges it by the actions of many, its got to the stage now she wont attend a temple in Bkk, preferring to use one in Nakon Nayok..

Next time you are on Suk Rd check out the so called monks, love the fake ones that come into someplace like Suda on Suk soi 14, clinging their bells, cant spaek a bloody word of Thai, ma jak wat arai?

Never seen real monks out collecting alms at eight or nine at night, never mind the gullible tourists think its the "real" Thailand.

Nice post mate.

Do beware posting thai language on here though...'dont go down to well with folks down these ere parts'..

is the term i think that nationality use.

Apparently it is a big no no and the worst form of showing off. But yeah i think you'd know about how they are :0)

Ok,

Unbelievable!!! What the hell is wrong with some people? another person blaming the victim................

For all you know he (the falang) could be a pacifist? or simply turning the other check? maybe he is not a person that readily resorts to violence?

or knows he can't fight so just accepts it? That does not make him wrong!!!! But there are few people commenting here that are very much wrong.

Now that being said, as for me with many years training in four different styles of martial arts I would not have just sat there, and some slapping would be on.

Another hero. I suppose you would go and kinghit him in the mouth?

And then..what if he falls over backwards..hits his head on something and is dead...

another farang we will read on thaivisa and see on tv in leg irons crying behind the bars of the Bangkok hilton.

I dont know why people cant just leave good enough alone when they are in a country where the law doesnt mollycoddle them?

Why go looking for trouble?

Same with this guy on the train..whatever he done to the monk to stir him up that bad (is before the footage so we dont really know the full)

Cant help but think if he just did what 99.9 % of most others would have done then no problem.

Who knows what the reception at his school would be like. One silly thing and then your days in paradise can change forever

you didn't get my point, so here it is, again. Have you never noticed the signs that reserve certain seats for monks in public transport ? In the video the corner of the seat is always blocked from viewing . . if there was any sign it would have been posted there. And I made sure I wrote 'maybe' . . . . no offense meant

I got your point first time round, there was only ONE monk, ONE monk doesnt need two seats unless hes a big fat bugger.

No need to apologise I took no offence.

Another boost for Thailand's tourism industry. Unbelievable.

laugh.png

Come to Thailand and get slapped around in public by a monk.

Come to Thailand and get slapped around in public by a monk.

Yes, but on the other hand, if you allow me, it's only one amongst +- 25,000,000 so the risk is negligible biggrin.png