Monk Gives Farang A Slap.

RustBucket

Looks to me as if he was either stealing into the monk's bag, touching the monk's bag, or such. In the very first second his hand is on the monk's saffron gear/clothing. But a monk smacking another man... Gosh, seems quite unmonk=like.

The monk looks like a phony monk to me (robes the wrong color). Monks only beg early in the morning and then go back to the wat.

First off, the robes are the right color, second off, the monk was not out begging, looks like he was traveling from one temple to another. Third, the farang must have said something or done something that really pissed this guy off, because monks don't slap people. Maybe someone will correctly tell what happened. coffee1.gif

Yea, I agree; looks like monk to me. In fact, I have no sense that he is not. I still think the guy reached for or touched the monks carry bag but there must have been something that set this in motion prior, that would have promoted the camera to go on, and then the bag touching just escalated it. I have often thought that were I a monk I would be the warrior type who would slap the crap out of someone. This is just hollywood boyhood wing chun fantasy crap. The truth remains, a monk should actually not be digressing into slapping another human being. I realize they are an elevated station of society but I just cannot rationalize a monk slapping someone save imminent danger to self or others, or other profound escalation.

This I totally agree with.. There must have been something else going on that we aren't aware of. Monks don't slap people for no good reason, or for almost any reason actually. I've seen dek-wats get slapped in the back of the head but other than that, never. coffee1.gif

I disagree it seems you have taken the " thai apologist " to a new level or maybe you are thai yourself.... But by the look at this monks face he wasnt following any spiritual path just alot of rage towards farangs.

• Like 2

I read the Thai writeup of the event.

The foreign man was sitting across the aisle on the train from the monk. Monk was laying down sleeping or just sleeping. Two foreign women got on and the foreign man got up to allow the two women to sit together. The man woke up the monk to explain/ask (in English) if he can sit beside him. The monk spoke fairly rudely to the guy saying in Thai he didn't understand. Convo went back and forth with foreigner speaking English and monk speaking Thai. The write up said the foreigner kinda of gave up and said ok, fine, fine. Monk misheard this as ควายๆ (kwai/buffalo) even though their entire ordeal had been because of language barrier so kind of ironic he thinks this guy is insulting him.. ends up slapping him three times in auspicious fashion. The video shows the last slap and then the train official coming.

The monk looks like the bit of a rougher type. Doing the ol enter the monastery trick perhaps?

super props to the foreigner (seems like a brit/mate) for being so chilled and not even raising his voice. Monk is getting shamed via Thai social media. Hopefully he gets some more repercussions than outrage and online derision

Sounds plausible,

at least the slaps were not the outcome of discussing the virtues of Roman Catholic Priests and alter boys.

I really don't see what that has to do with the OP.

Surely the road to enlightenment does not include assaulting people.

Looks to me as if he was either stealing into the monk's bag, touching the monk's bag, or such. In the very first second his hand is on the monk's saffron gear/clothing. But a monk smacking another man... Gosh, seems quite unmonk=like.

The monk looks like a phony monk to me (robes the wrong color). Monks only beg early in the morning and then go back to the wat.

First off, the robes are the right color, second off, the monk was not out begging, looks like he was traveling from one temple to another. Third, the farang must have said something or done something that really pissed this guy off, because monks don't slap people. Maybe someone will correctly tell what happened. coffee1.gif

Yea, I agree; looks like monk to me. In fact, I have no sense that he is not. I still think the guy reached for or touched the monks carry bag but there must have been something that set this in motion prior, that would have promoted the camera to go on, and then the bag touching just escalated it. I have often thought that were I a monk I would be the warrior type who would slap the crap out of someone. This is just hollywood boyhood wing chun fantasy crap. The truth remains, a monk should actually not be digressing into slapping another human being. I realize they are an elevated station of society but I just cannot rationalize a monk slapping someone save imminent danger to self or others, or other profound escalation.

This I totally agree with.. There must have been something else going on that we aren't aware of. Monks don't slap people for no good reason, or for almost any reason actually. I've seen dek-wats get slapped in the back of the head but other than that, never. coffee1.gif

I disagree it seems you have taken the " thai apologist " to a new level or maybe you are thai yourself.... But by the look at this monks face he wasnt following any spiritual path just alot of rage towards farangs.

I am anything BUT a Thai apologist. I get in trouble all the time for so called "Thai bashing." And I am not Thai. I will say again, something else was going on there that we don't have the answers to. The video wasn't started early enough to see the whole episode. Maybe the monk was being groped, I'd punched the guy, not slapped him. Maybe he was trying to take something out of his bag. I wouldn't have put up with that either. At this point, all we can do is guess.

It's gone viral on FB in Thailand. Apparently the Falung has been in Thailand for 10 years and is a teacher.

His wife is filing charges against the monk.

If the farang has been in Thailand for 10 years and is a teacher, how come he cannot speak even the minimum Thai needed to communicate with the monk - ko-thot krab would have been enough.

• Like 1

ko-thot krab would have been enough

Enough to get you a blank look......laugh.pngcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Some of the posts here criticising his perceived lack of Thai skills then demonstrating abysmal romanisation are hilarious. Some of you could do better to keep it to yourselves....

Edited by ThePlant
  • Like 2

Seems like the reporting is bad on this as usual. Didnt get to hear this through good speakers until today.

does sound to me like the foriegn guy can speak thai quite well actually.

if i heard it right you can hear him ask 'pai kee-mong?' at one stage and then 'por laew' a few times (thats enough or ive had enough) after the monk hits him.

It is the monk who says rather loudly "ai kwai" an even worse version and im sure you can hear another very bad phrase that starts with h that i wont mention.

If thats right it does change the story a bit in that there was seemingly no language barrier.

seeing thats the case i wouldnt put much belief in the reported version as kwai and fine sounds nothing alike to thai ears.

looks like the farang wanted to test out his speaking skills on the monk and it hasnt gone down to well.

that monk sure does have a potty mouth though

Oh tingtongtourist (oaf), it reads like you concede your idiocy and arrogance. Is it because you have heard the video properly or did you remember to take your Prozac today?.

It's gone viral on FB in Thailand. Apparently the Falung has been in Thailand for 10 years and is a teacher.

If the farang has been in Thailand for 10 years and is a teacher, how come he cannot speak even the minimum Thai needed to communicate with the monk - ko-thot krab would have been enough.

thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

Read post 151

Seems like the reporting is bad on this as usual. Didnt get to hear this through good speakers until today.

if i heard it right you can hear him ask 'pai kee-mong?' at one stage and then 'por laew' a few times (thats enough or ive had enough) after the monk hits him.

It is the monk who says rather loudly "ai kwai" an even worse version and im sure you can hear another very bad phrase that starts with h that i wont mention.

If thats right it does change the story a bit in that there was seemingly no language barrier.

seeing thats the case i wouldnt put much belief in the reported version as kwai and fine sounds nothing alike to thai ears.

looks like the farang wanted to test out his speaking skills on the monk and it hasnt gone down to well.

Doesn't 'pai kee-mong? mean, are you drunk? My Thai is rusty. whistling.gif Nah, means more like, what time are you leaving or maybe, what time you getting off or something similar. my bad.

Edited by khaowong1

What a series of absurdly stupid posts you have made. There are regular reports of monks smoking yaa baa, monks with guns, monks getting drunk (and monks getting caught drunk driving), monks having live-in lovers, monks breaking pretty much every part of the Vinaya. In fact, monks regularly break the 5 rules for lay members, let alone the Vinaya so this asinine, groundless speculation in defence of the monk is, well, total and utter nonsense. He's a bad monk. This is not unusual or strange. There are something like 200,000 monks in Thailand, many of whom have essential no education and no training so it is only to be expected that sometimes, some of them behave in a less than exemplary fashion.

• Like 1

Doesn't 'pai kee-mong? mean, are you drunk? My Thai is rusty. whistling.gif Nah, means more like, what time are you leaving or maybe, what time you getting off or something similar. my bad.

Yes to my thinking it usually 'what time are you going..but since i just cop some slack from the other poster maybe i got it wrong what he said

Oh tingtongtourist (oaf), it reads like you concede your idiocy and arrogance. Is it because you have heard the video properly or did you remember to take your Prozac today?.

oh and what is it that ruffles your feathers then? Quick to have a go but dont explain your reasoning Or is it because you are another one of those who hates others talking about tai language because you are to lazy or lack the neccesary brainpower to grasp it?

No prozac for me mate but you could probably do with a dose to calm you down

Edited by tingtongtourist

To the people who are baffled as to why a holy person would slap some one. Consider all the other fun stuff they get up to each week it seems like, smoking yabaa, drinking alcohol and flying jets and sex with prostitutes and what not. Whats a slap compared to that?

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

He looks very genuine to me and the robes are not the wrong colour, monks do travel around on trains and buses. They do not beg for food they give the chance for people to make merit by giving, they do not need the food in most cases. if you think they go back to the wat after go into any malls and see them buying phones and laptops

Fake monk notice robe color. Many monks are just guys in the wat for a week or so and not really monks as opposed to the monks who live in the wat and do the begging rounds every morning.

Monks do not stay in the wat after the morning round - they can walk around as they please. And you can not take the robe color to see if the monk is genuine or not. The robes are bought in all kinds of small shops, so they color can vary a bit, just as police uniforms. If you see them eat after 9am, something is wrong though.(i spend a couple of months in a wat myself)

The monk in the picture is a clown, a shame the Farang in the movie is much smaller and does not speak Thai. He could have hit back.

Punching and attacking the monk probably would have gotten the Thais to stir into a frenzy. I agree he should have defended himself though. Perhaps for this farang he isn't a violent man though, just wants to get along and not want a fuss. The Thai people are behind him at least for his restraint.

He was lucky to be slapped by a Monk according to James Thompson a Professor of Religions at Harvard one who is slapped by a Monk because

Very Rich within 14 months and 11 days

Any the Monk was right this is Thailand and he a Great Monk this was only a Farang teacher

Maybe the Monk will get the Noble Peace Prize for slapping a Farang Teacher

Edited by harryfrompattaya

I've been told by a Thai that the monk is probably not a 'real' monk and that he had been drinking. He apparently hit the farrang because the farrang was 'yak-yaking' him.

wai2.gif

The monk is lucky he is not on his way to meet his maker. Our village drunk and an in-law just became a monk to please his mother and another just lives at the temple so he can save his pay cheque from accounting work. Amazing system.

Making the rounds in the Thai press is that this is not a real monk. It's just some deadbeat who is dressed as a monk so that he can travel for free and live off the charity of others.

One of many, sadly.

Even if it was a real one, most Thais would say it wasn't, just as I would say the bad priests are not real.

well, he is on a train, and offers his seat to a lady. Then he moves about, searching for an alternate seat, sees the monk who is ccupying two seats, in a sleeping position.

Would YOU wake the monk ?

IMO, I would not. Not in Thailand. Live and let live.

I wouldn't ever mind this monk occupying any two seats, or maybe three, or maybe more. Leave him alone I would think.

It 's very impolite to wake up sleeping people and point out that the seat next to them must be cleared.

I would however, act so in any western country. Because in these places, we have a f...g right to a seat. The train

personell will agree with you.

Not so in accordance with the culture here.

You might consider monks being scum, useless, beggars and lazy guys trying to avoid work, pretending to pray for the goodness of us all, but Thais think very differently of them. You are guests here and are asked to respect the cultural roles

Maybe the seats were reserved for monks, like they are on riverboat taxis in Bangkok, amnd in buses. The Video doesn't clearly show any signs but maybe this seat was reserved for monks

...but it no way impolite for anyone to take 3 seats sleeping, as others have to remain standing?

Monk or not, there should be some logic to any persons....oh...TIT!