Phuket police commander makes plans to resolve traffic problems

Lite Beer

Phuket police commander makes plans to resolve traffic problems

Saran Mitrarat

1418473850_1.jpgPhuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit.

PHUKET: Construction companies will no longer be able to block the roads without filing their constructions plans first, following an order from the police.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit, told the media in the monthly meeting on Thursday (December 11), that they are attempting to solve the traffic problems to help support the increasing number of residents and tourists.

“Around 2,500 additional people are registering vehicles everyday. And with over 400,000 so far, the traffic is getting worse, especially during rush hour,” said Gen Patchara.

“Thepkrasattri Rd is the main road from the airport to Phuket Town, but officials are unable to make the road any wider as the cost of expropriating [the land] is too high. Even if we started construction, it might take a very long time to finish it,” he explained.

Police have been ordered to improve the following to help make motorists feel comfortable and safe:

Enforce the traffic laws.
Control each area under construction.
Use a manual system to control traffic lights in rush hours – and link with all areas in Phuket.
Enforce a time period when big trucks are barred from using the roads.
Close some U-turn points in the median strip and set cones to force through traffic to keep left.
Traffic police must show up and 'work' in rush hours at seven different points;
- Thalang intersection traffic lights.
- Heroines monument: close with a barrier during 8am – 9:30am and 4pm – 8:30pm.
- Koh Kaew intersection (near Supercheap 24hrs) – be more strict on prohibited parking areas, increase more red/white paint, use CCTV to manage traffic, assign more police, and install a 'do not exit' sign in a soi at intersection.
- Tesco intersection: move barrier to widen the road.
- Rajabhat University intersection: use cones for the express lane and use CCTV to manage traffic.
- Daramsamuth intersection: ask construction company to open the road as soon as possible and promote the use of shortcuts or alternative routes to reduce congestion.
- Chalong Circle: Use cones to divert traffic from Patak Rd and Chalong Rd. Traffic police must enforce these rules.

7. In case of flooding, police have arranged with all local municipalities to pump water within 30 minutes to allow traffic to flow.
8. Make signs for the shortcuts. About 35 shortcuts are now installed in the Thai version - the English version will be installed soon.

“Sometimes the traffic problems occur because of the construction company. They close off the roads whenever they want,” he complained.

“But from now, I have ordered them to file their construction plans for road users. If they do not file – I will not allow them to start construction.”

“I heard from the Phuket people when I was helping with the big mafia crackdown that the police did not work much. This will not be the case on my watch," Gen Patchara said.

“If my staff do not work properly – I will arrest them and send them to jail,” he added.

Police have confirmed that they will issue warnings to any tourists caught half naked [or in swimming suits] while driving cars or motorbikes in public areas.

“If anyone has a suggestion to help manage the traffic, please let us know. Even if we believe that a suggestion will benefit only a small number of people, we will still do it,” he concluded.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-commander-makes-plans-to-resolve-traffic-problems-50102.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-14

It all adds up to getting the cops to do their job

Once these guys start attending to their job and showing up on the road it will mostly be solved.

Getting them to do their job correctly will be the next challenge.

Regards

Maybe an idea: if you put traffic cones on the right lane to divert traffic away from it so upcoming traffic can easily make an u-turn, make sure to notify people. I see it happening all the time: the car in front of you goes to the right and all of a sudden you see a few cones on the road forcing you to hit the breaks or blindly swirl to the left and hope you don't hit anybody else. Maybe a sign with an arrow will do...

How much brain power does it take for them to realize that in order for traffic to flow better you cannot have officer Somchai press the green button and 100 meters down the road in clear view officer Somchai #2 hits the red button. Mental midgets the whole lot of them. Traffic flow patterns should be dealt with by real traffic engineers (not police) and when this happens I will build a snowman in my soi.

That is not the case in Phuket Town. The police do an excellent job keeping the traffic flowing during the evening rush hour. The times when there is a complete traffic snarl-up is when they are not on duty.

(This is not one of my usual sarcastic posts. Really.)