Recommend best bang per buck Android phone

apetley

Actually, the "Lite" is LTE...4G. They changed from the Intel processor. Better battery but takes only one SIM. Selling for around B7500.

Very similar name so it's easy to confuse, but it's a brand new model. The LTE 4G (A500KL) has been out since June, whereas this is the "lite" A502CG, a lower spec model in terms of RAM and CPU, but with a new battery boosted to 2500 mAh.... the earlier 3G and 4G models had 2110 mAh.

http://m.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_5_lite_a502cg-6813.php

In any event I don't think this model is release in Thailand right now, but it does imply they've taken on board feedback about boosting battery power.

Actually, the "Lite" is LTE...4G. They changed from the Intel processor. Better battery but takes only one SIM. Selling for around B7500.

Very similar name so it's easy to confuse, but it's a brand new model. The LTE 4G (A500KL) has been out since June, whereas this is the "lite" A502CG, a lower spec model in terms of RAM and CPU, but with a new battery boosted to 2500 mAh.... the earlier 3G and 4G models had 2110 mAh.

http://m.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_5_lite_a502cg-6813.php

In any event I don't think this model is release in Thailand right now, but it does imply they've taken on board feedback about boosting battery power.

Heavier. Terrible screen pixels. VGA front camera ..definitely a lite version .. horrible!!!

Why not the IQ range from the Thai brand I-mobile? I got one and its been good for the money but don't expect any android upgrades so you are stuck with what you buy but I don't care too much about that.

I-mobile phones can be bought all over Thailand.

I got an I-Mobile phone (I-Style) - back in July ... it works well enough after I threw away the I-Mobile SIM - that I mistakenly bought ... put my AIS SiM in --

The phone would be great if it had much more base processing memory. It runs at 89-90 percent memory used at all times and is slow... slow but effective. It was my own fault -- as I could have easily checked the memory specs ... but I got to looking at the 3500 Baht price and just bought it as a bargain... The camera is surprisingly good - takes some very impressive landscape - sunset shots...

But all in all unless I-Mobile has a model with much more memory and other tech aspects OP will want to buy something better... I just didn't want to pay 10K - 12K Baht...

For those who need / want a low cost Smartphone - Android... then check the next models up from the I-Style -- maybe at around 4K baht - a real snappy phone can had...

• Like 1

As a follow up I recently went out to buy my new phone.

After watching a couple of youtube vids I really fancied the Xiaomi Mi3 but could find no shops with one in stock. I didn't want to buy from Lazada without first having a 'hands on' so had a look at the Nexus. Nice feel to it but didn't do alot for me to be honest. Then the retailer suggested the Zenfone5. Had a look and was genuinely impressed at the spec, feel and vfm. Then came the clincher. It has a great wifi hotspot signal which is important for me as it is my only internet source here in the village.

That and the advantage of having a card slot and 5990 was soon relieved from my wallet.

Even better is that wifey said no to me buying her a second one as she is happy to use my old Samsung!

Thanks again for all the helpful input and advice.

• Like 1

Why not the IQ range from the Thai brand I-mobile? I got one and its been good for the money but don't expect any android upgrades so you are stuck with what you buy but I don't care too much about that.

I got an I-Mobile phone (I-Style) - back in July ... it works well enough after I threw away the I-Mobile SIM - that I mistakenly bought ... put my AIS SiM in --

The phone would be great if it had much more base processing memory. It runs at 89-90 percent memory used at all times and is slow... slow but effective. It was my own fault -- as I could have easily checked the memory specs ... but I got to looking at the 3500 Baht price and just bought it as a bargain... The camera is surprisingly good - takes some very impressive landscape - sunset shots...

But all in all unless I-Mobile has a model with much more memory and other tech aspects OP will want to buy something better... I just didn't want to pay 10K - 12K Baht...

For those who need / want a low cost Smartphone - Android... then check the next models up from the I-Style -- maybe at around 4K baht - a real snappy phone can had...

You can free up a bunch of memory if you install an app from the "Play Store" called "CLEAN MASTER" (Install top one listed, there is a "look-alike" with a similar name below. Both have a broom as an icon)

Whenever you use your phone, you create "junk files" which can eventually take up a lot of your memory. "Clean Master" cleans out those "junk files". It also has several other methods for clearing available memory such as scanning your photos and pointing out duplicates. It will also show you which applications are the least used and also which ones can be moved to external storage.

"Clean Master" actually takes up a large chunk of memory itself. It's not a bad idea to un-install it when you're finished, then re-install it next time you need it....at least once a month, every 2 weeks even better.

"Clean Master" is free but they will mix ads for other performance apps in with the process. Just don't click on any suggested apps unless you really do want to buy them.

How does the Samsung Duos rate, for ease of use and value?

@ 3,600 baht is fine, 6 months and still going perfectly fine, but only a 4" screen, guess it is also what you use it for..

no way could i justify anything more expensive for what I use it for.

• Like 1

You can free up a bunch of memory if you install an app from the "Play Store" called "CLEAN MASTER" (Install top one listed, there is a "look-alike" with a similar name below. Both have a broom as an icon)

Whenever you use your phone, you create "junk files" which can eventually take up a lot of your memory. "Clean Master" cleans out those "junk files". It also has several other methods for clearing available memory such as scanning your photos and pointing out duplicates. It will also show you which applications are the least used and also which ones can be moved to external storage.

"Clean Master" actually takes up a large chunk of memory itself. It's not a bad idea to un-install it when you're finished, then re-install it next time you need it....at least once a month, every 2 weeks even better.

"Clean Master" is free but they will mix ads for other performance apps in with the process. Just don't click on any suggested apps unless you really do want to buy them.

Good advice I think. My battery seems to go down quicker with all the checks cleanmaster is doing, constant warning pop ups get annoying. I'll uninstall and install again in a few weeks

Yes - I use Clean Master and the active memory usage still always pushes 90% -- never lower than 86-88% ... I have done everything I can using Clean Master and similar utilities ... I have gained some base storage but not much has helped the active memory problem ... I wish that there was a retrofit of some kind ... but wishing ...

The memory boosting apps really need root privileges to be effective. I use ES Task Manager on an older rooted Samsung and it works great, it's also able to stop apps from automatically starting.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Don't buy an acer liquid z5 smartphone. I've been to there service shop 3 times.

What a piece of junk !!

Bad luck on yours...good on the one my wife has. She only uses it for facebook, phone and camera. The camera is marginal...but the screen is large enough for me to use. Never had a problem.....8 months. Fairly good reviews available.

If it was me using it, I would go upmarket. Hers was a good bargain....and for the price....a reasonable piece of equipment.

Up to 12 or 13k bht.

spend a little more, Samsung Galaxy S-5 is selling for around 15,000 baht at places like TG Fone
18,900 for the S5 at TGPhone to be precise, not quite the 15k you said.

bought it on 24 Dec 14 at Big C Rama IV. Listed for 16,400 baht got a in store discount which is good until the end of the year which bought it down to 15,327.10 Baht. With VAT it came to 16,400 baht. Don't go by the web site prices.

post-59548-0-71832200-1419762706_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

does anyone know if the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 is available in Thailand and where? i did follow the link one poster posted for a shop in Hat Yai and they seem to have them but how does one know if it is genuine and not a copy?

does anyone know if the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 is available in Thailand and where? i did follow the link one poster posted for a shop in Hat Yai and they seem to have them but how does one know if it is genuine and not a copy?

Lazada (on line store) 6,124 baht