My feelings about Thailand

roego

discoverd Laos and Cambodia. And generall have found the Cmabodia to be the nicest most courteous people in Asia.

Bet you said the same thing after your first visit to Thailand as well. As the old saying goes, "familiarity breeds contempt". Looking forward to your updated posts about Laos and Cambodia in a few years! coffee1.gif

I have said similar things about the Philippines. I left there when I came here. I spent over twelve years in the PI during the last 46 years, married a Filipina 36 years ago, and thought I would retire there.

However, after little more than a year of retiring there, I had to leave, as I said, for pretty much the same complaints--thievery, corruption, lying, laziness, perpetual hands-out . . .

Quite frankly, I was equally displeased with the US; which is why I left there.

I figure it amounts to two buckets--one for the good things: advantages, ease of life, good times, money, etc.; the other bucket for the bad things: disadvantages, hassles, detriments, and manure.

Whenever a bucket gets full, it's time to leave.

I used that logic all my life in expat contract work--if the money bucket, or the manure bucket, got full, it was time to leave.

Seems to be the way I will live my retirement. I must admit, Thailand is not as attractive as it was.

• Like 1

I for one would be interested to see other peoples feelings about this topic instead of the usual smartass replies. I've spent a long time in the Philippines and to be fair, Filipinos are in a completely different league. Go into a shop or restaurant and you will experience first class service and politeness, not some sullen face stuck in smart phone. I came to Thailand with a view to settle but I'm having second thoughts. I would welcome others experiences of Cambodia and Vietnam.

Yes The filipinos are in another league - a minor league in every respect except one (by and large the filipinos are a nice people)...I've spent extensive time (years) in th PI and have never seen the place the way your describe it.....I've been to all areas and involved with a "hiso" family - I've served as a talent judge for talent competitions along side of the Mayor of a major city along with scions of industry there....I've been to most islands....I've traveled with our own maids and cooks + eaten in the upper level eateries as well as the shopping mall/common food servers.....

Nowhere does the Camelot that you paint exist except for possibly a small area of Manila (micro).....it simply does not exist....

You want to see down and out farangs - dirty - unpolished - scroungy - unwashed = the PI is your place......the people (while some are beautiful) are largely unwashed and desperate = matching up well with the foreigners that gravitate there....want an education----? Take a Tiger Air flight to Clarke AFB from BKK - you'll see exactly the "quality foreigner/farang" headed there - most for the ABC Hotel so they can partake in the pool parties......

Read the thread about the poor soul that wanted/thought about moving his family there and see the real PI......

I had handed to me chances at 100% non fail business interests (new 7-11's in established areas by major bus teminals & hospitals) through family connections that I wouldn't consider because I'd have to spend my life there.....

I could tell you about people trying to pick my pockets in broad daylight - about 3 guys trying to triangle me 2 behind with knives - 1 in front ready to stab me for my wallet at about 12:20 in the afternoon in broad daylight behind the cover of a sign....they found out they'd picked the wrong guy.....

I could tell you about somebody that simply dissappeared because his wife had relatives in the NLA or PLA or whatever it's called...and he was worth more money after 7 years and declared dead....this is an anti government group that makes it's living as muscle for hire for the people that wish to side step the law.....you want somebody to drop their suit? Need someone gone? Need someone hurt and afraid to talk - call these guys....the police give them carte blanche....their scared of them....they are nationwide and organised with para military precision and ranks.....

If you like aggressive beggars (everywhere in the PI) following you gaining in numbers while walking or going to a place to eat - or pounding on the side of your cars at stops - go to the PI....(kind of like the night of the living desperate).....

If you think driving is tough here - it's about 10X worse there - coupled with the fact a lot of lights do not work and street signs are non existent......and the male drivers (hardly any female drivers there) are mano on mano betting their fenders - drive down a dark street and watch suicide drivers/rider coming from every direction on dark rainy nights - many without lights - a large number on bicycles (no sound) - can;t afford anything else.....try driving on a street with 2 lanes when one is completely choked by Jeepney's crawling along with 1940's brakes and trolling for rides the other several hundred Jeepneys might have missed - go to what is supposed to be a seaside city and find overpiriced accomodations (not family - keep reading) with cock roaches sharing the building with you - out in plain sight and light day and night ......watch the worried looks on the faces of the people that care about you when you're around them....travel by bus - just to try it and feel the rear wheel losing traction around turns (they're absolutely suicidal) ...... worse than here - their driver have order to run down anything in their way - there's no consequences for them.....

Wait until you're driving on election weeks and routinely stopped with ploice checking for guns....enjoy the feeling of being searched for weapons going into shopping malls.....look at the the shotgun armed guards at every large business....watch the non existent police (better look fast - they're not there and at most police boxes you'll have to go to their homes looking for them in the smaller towns).......

Want to see a nervous Taxi driver or Trike driver - be a farang and use one......watch as you've chartered a cab as people see you going into a place to eat and circle the car with a towel on their fists looking to see if anything left inside the car....

I submit to you you have no clue about the place......or you're drunk in "paradise".....

Filipinas (some) are great - most are very possessive - jealous - and vocal - don't even thing of acknowledging another female if yours does not know her.....

Been involved with 4 - 1st was great - together 8 1/2 years and traveled the world together with free flight priviledges (from her) and a great time...2nd had the dissappearing husband (found out after I asked why the kids never visited their Dad) and the NLA/PLA family members - think he took one trip into the jungle he never returned from - 3rd = too jealous.....

4th (ex-wife) - a good women - owned her own very large house and business exporting to NY boutiques...+ family has 90+ hotels in it's chain + 7-11's + catering concerns + ranches/farms + commissary businesses.......attended parties in houses larger than a lot of hotels and the other party goers usually had body guards ( holders of government office nationally - business leaders - minor officials - celebrities) ....reason for ending = unlimited arguing/control problems

I had the golden ticket - I was part of a successful family with family houses, ranches, condos, hotels at my disposal - I was undefeatable in Karaoke (important in PI - like the national pastime - at large parties it was defaulted to me as having automatically the best voice) ....I was - through family importance - an important person and I still walked away - why?

I didn't want my life to end there - not safe to walk about.......let alone live......a cloaking/choking existence

Don't even pretend to tell the people on this board how much better the PI is - - - I could go on but this is enough......

Go out and learn your lessons - be careful or it will be your last - don't come across like such a simpleton.......

A perfect example how personal experiences lead in generalizations of a nation.

And yet you bemoan people who have had similar experiences, and often do generalise, in Thailand as being bitter.

One wonders...one wonders.

Quit wondering....date some filipinas....invest a few years there....then quit questioning and wondering......stop wandering in the darkness......be my guest.....

....and yet had 4 !!!

Edited by Sacrilege

When I visit a place and don't like it, I don't go out of my way trying to convince others to think the same. If someone ask my opinion I will give it, but won't start a post to air my views. It seems some people need confirmation from others that what they think is correct.

NB. Costas no vote buying please.

What people say about Cambodia is like what people say about Thailand 20 years ago. It will catch up with Thailand sooner or later. The Thai society is progressing faster than their education hence we are seeing the effects of it.

PI is on a different level, the crime kills that place. People are nice, but seems like you always have to watch your back when you are out at night.

• Like 1

Hate to tell you but this is the kids all over the world, working for very low wages and passing the time on there phones. Most places I go in Chonburi are very good but I also never tip here. I do think that most Thai's really have any idea what service really is. drop off some glasses with ice , drop off your food. Welcome to Thailand . Lol Good luck I will bet you will have same complaints soon over there.

• Like 1

I for one would be interested to see other peoples feelings about this topic instead of the usual smartass replies. I've spent a long time in the Philippines and to be fair, Filipinos are in a completely different league. Go into a shop or restaurant and you will experience first class service and politeness, not some sullen face stuck in smart phone. I came to Thailand with a view to settle but I'm having second thoughts. I would welcome others experiences of Cambodia and Vietnam.

I need to know the places to go in the Philippines, as you seem to know it well, as that is on my mid year calendar for 2015. I am thinking about Manila for sure and Cebu? I have also heard about Boracay and Subic bay.I have never been and am keen to hear what awaits me. Good luck.

I would just chip in Baguio as an alternative to visit while on Luzon in Phils. It's kind of a hill-station so nice if you prefer some cooler weather while traveling. Lots of Koreans seems to love the place for some reason.

Sagada is nice as well, but far and secluded. Hard to reach and not ideal unless you want to get away from city-life.

• Like 1

I really do wonder if the Moderators might consider setting up a Sub Forum on here for the people who have, in my opinion, a problem with Thailand.

In the sub forum, these people could moan & whinge to their hearts content, about Thailand.

I often find myself becoming exasperated with the complaints & petty observations about how "imperfect" Thailand is.

Because as we all know, our Country of origin is a Nirvana by comparison.......cheesy.gif

Perhaps if the Mods do set this up, there could be a small charge which would vary according to the Nationality of the moanee....a sort of dual pricing scheme? whistling.gif

Yes and whilst putting this in motion suggest they do the same for Posters like yourself giggle.gif

The two sign thing is what I find a bit deceitful. They post an English sign with the farang price but not the Thai price. Then the Thai sign with both. It is almost like saying that they think the Thai will play along with the game. I guess they know it is wrong so they need to hide.

it means it s free and you can go through because it s illegal to make a farang price. it ' s the law....

What is the law in regard to double standards/pricing?

I had an incident earlier this year when 3 ladies in saris and speaking an Indian language, paid the Thai fee to get into the botanical gardens, and I was told I had to pay the 'white skin' price.

Is there some sort of law or by-law where foreigners, whether resident or not, must pay the extra?

At least tourists in China know they must pay more, but if you're over 60, it's free! Not so here.

For those of you curious about the Philippines. In short, it's poor and overcrowded but the people are great. It's a place of great contrast. There are areas of Manila which boast the biggest shopping malls in the world and there are areas of Manila where even I wouldn't venture. I personally lived in Manila for a long time and would happily go back. First timers should stick to areas such as Ortigas in Manila (loads of ex pats) or Cebu. Ortigas has a number of big malls, (Mega Mall, Shangrila Plaza etc) It has also taken the initiative to put guards on the streets (you won't see many police)

Crime is a big problem. It's not like Thailand where you are reasonably safe anywhere. Don't wear jewellery, don't flash expensive phones, don't go off the beaten track alone.

The people are great - very friendly and polite. You will be addressed as Sir in a shop and nothing is to much trouble. In some parts, you will almost be treated as a celebrity.

Edited by torrow

The two sign thing is what I find a bit deceitful. They post an English sign with the farang price but not the Thai price. Then the Thai sign with both. It is almost like saying that they think the Thai will play along with the game. I guess they know it is wrong so they need to hide.

Well perhaps there is a chance that a farang, with a Thai companion, is likely to be paying that higher price for both of them if they can get away with it. Or they think the Thai people will be pleased to see that farangs are blatantly discriminated against. But if you can read the Thai sign, there is a good chance you have a Thai driving licence, and with that, you too can get what you believe to be a Thai only price.

I look at it as a set price and a discount for locals. They do the same in England. I think locals can go to the swimming baths cheaper and to the Minster cathedral etc. After all the local girls have probably taken a few selfies in Nong Nooch etc before and just tag along with the new fella.

As for our welcome smile diminishing I agree I think they are probably getting a bit fed up of us Farang. We nick all the best looking birds, we build big houses out in the sticks and take the Michael in general and then expect them to change the countries rules and culture to suit us. Not to mention the moaning plonkers that don't speak the language and then complain when they don't know what's going on around them.

I can see loads wrong with this country but if you treat people with respect you generally are treated the same in return. It is dangerous if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and the roads are bad but I am sure I smile more here than in my old country.

Nowhere in England has two tier pricing. What you are referring to is this.... Some local authorities give a discount to people who live in that borough. For example I used to get discounted gym membership. To enter St Paul's EVERYONE has to pay unless you are a paid up member of the congregation. Here overcharging non Thais is legal and sanctioned by the government which is morally wrong and racist.

Amazing. I have zero of the experiences the OP has. With the exception of BKK taxi drivers, which I detest, I have not had any appreciable bad experiences, not enough so that I would be able to recall or itemize them. Perhaps that's the gist of it. Perhaps because you look for it you see it. Not sure that makes sense but I cant be having such a totally opposite experience from you if what your saying is generally true about Thailand. Generally, Thai people are kind to me and even gracious.

I really do wonder if the Moderators might consider setting up a Sub Forum on here for the people who have, in my opinion, a problem with Thailand.

In the sub forum, these people could moan & whinge to their hearts content, about Thailand.

I often find myself becoming exasperated with the complaints & petty observations about how "imperfect" Thailand is.

Because as we all know, our Country of origin is a Nirvana by comparison.......cheesy.gif

Perhaps if the Mods do set this up, there could be a small charge which would vary according to the Nationality of the moanee....a sort of dual pricing scheme? whistling.gif

Some see no right, others see no wrong, but both have an equal right to comment

• Like 2

discoverd Laos and Cambodia. And generall have found the Cmabodia to be the nicest most courteous people in Asia.

Bet you said the same thing after your first visit to Thailand as well. As the old saying goes, "familiarity breeds contempt". Looking forward to your updated posts about Laos and Cambodia in a few years! coffee1.gif

While I can agree with the basic idea- it does not take away the validity of what he is saying. Cambodia wins hands down in almost all categories. I lived there from 2001 -2009. It was better than Thailand then- and it's better than Thailand now! I did an entire Cambodia wide trip there last month The people are just overall nicer there, (Cambodians and Foreighners alike) - the language is much easier to learn- the visas are incredibly hassle free- the Police are in general a much better lot- most everything from hotel rooms to clothing and furniture are much cheaper and of a much higher quality than in Thailand- and I have yet to hear the familiar, "I bought a girl a house/bar/car and she took it all from me!" story. Not a single one of my friends that married a Khmer ever had a problem in their mariage, lost a single coin, or even a moments sleep. The houses and shophouses are of a better quality. Why Thailand continues to be so popular remains a complete mystery to me!

• Like 1

there is no law about charging farang. and you can not find a law which say it s illegal to charge twice a farang because it would be stupid to make laws against non existing laws.

all these double prices are just based on discrimination and are illegal by human rights conventions. problem is too many people believe rumours are laws and if nobody complaint , nothing is done and prices go up and up.!!!

Edited by Digitalnomade

This my first comment here and I doubt I will need to ever say anything else.

To: Whomever may be or is interested in my experiences.

Written October 30, 2014.

I stopped bothering to keep anymore notes after October 2014.

I am a retired Native North American Indian, a disabled U.S. Military Veteran, Instructor and Law Enforcement. I had saved up and planned for 12 years to move and retire in Thailand, only to realize it was all one big mistake. I came to the kingdom of Thailand for the first time to enjoy living a quiet relaxed stress free life, lifestyle and the beaches. Since I do not; run the Bars or Clubs, chase women, use drugs, get drunk and very rarely even drink. Yet I now find myself being targeted by most of the Thais that I talk to every time I go outside my front door.

It seems Thais think as most Asians do, that all Foreigners are rich and are walking ATM machines for their use. But Thais fell it’s their special right to scams, lies, cheat or tricks as much money as they can out of Foreigners. I had even observed that most Thais famous smiles usually are fake, unless you are handing over money to them. It is common that Thais attitude is to never admit any other Thais commit any crimes or does anything wrong. Thais hear no evil or see no evil, if it done to a Foreigners or Foreigner dies by other Thai unless it is a poor Thai. It seemed many if not most Thais only learn other languages in hopes of or trying to get rich or gain power. So many Thais solely learn other languages to lie cheat trick or scam as much as they can out of foreigners they can. Thai women often learn languages with hopes of getting rich quick off marrying an older foreigners. Regrettably, I’ve personally witnessed way too many of those kinds of Thai women mentally abusing Foreigner men for just their money in public. Unfortunately as in most Asian countries most non-Asians men don’t realize when entering into relationship with as Asian woman. He is not only be expected to improve and support her life, but also her whole family too. I have come to believe; 1. Thai women do not know how to love a foreigner as a man, they only love his money and/or getting power. 2. Why should Thais be honest? Thais honestly believe Thais can be forgiven for anything they do including murder. All Thais have to do is confess and show they repent (or act-like they do in public) as Buddhist in the Thai culture it is to be forgiven?

Which was why I mainly decided not to allow any Thai women to get close to me, to avoid getting caught up in that kind of Thai entanglements, scams or tricks to get money out of me or kill me for money.

My first day I experience was in a 7-11 while buying mints. A well-dressed Thai man in a hurry in line volunteer and translated to the Cashier. He then turned and asked me for a 20 Bath tip. After that I have actually come to pity the Foreigners living here. Many Foreigners have manage to stay in Thailand for years on work Visa or education Visas, learning the Thai Language or other schools, until they reached their retirement age. Also many foreigners have learned to deal with this situation by getting lost in their own private mental escape. In whatever purposes they could find; working jobs, charity work, schools, sightseeing, exercise, internet, sex and alcohol. The rare lucky ones with harmony and equilibrium in their Thai families, usually achieve it by submission, giving everything they have to their Thais families.

Below is a list of other things that have been done or said to me in Thailand. It should answer your questions as to why I now feel this way in less than 2 years of living in Thailand.

Personally now I just smile quietly laughing at all the absurdity of Thais and living in Thailand.

Unluckily since deciding to leave I found I need to save up enough to move easily and comfortably. Unless there’s an emergency where I would need to leave or get the heck out of Thailand faster.

Since arrival in Thailand, I’ve become tired of seeing the way Thai people treat other Foreigners & me;

1.) I found I could not relax on Pattaya Beach or any Beaches, with the rude way Thais always loudly talk or start yelling loudly around me sleeping. Or the way Thai vender and merchants always wake me trying to force me to buy their over-priced products or services. I have learned to carry ear plugs to play music to sleep or ignore their rudeness until I can afford to leave here.

2.) Buy me, give me or where is my Tip, when I already paid or they have not done anything for a Tip.

3.) When Thais actions and words show Thais don’t respect any Farang that we have to respect Thais.

4.) If we don’t like Thailand, we can leave Thailand. When I have not done or said anything to them?

5.) Or, Thailand is for Thai people not for (you, Farang = Foreigner or Farangs = Foreigners).

I’ve even had three different TRP (Thailand Royal Police) Officers threaten insult and/or say to me;

6.) A TRP gave me a false accident report he signed, not admit that a Thai Truck Driver hit me.

a. The TRP Officer said, If I don’t like the accident report saying no one’s fault, I can leave Thailand. See statement on following page of incident.

7.) When my cellphone with cp tracker on it was stolen a TRP Police Officer told me.

a. He would only go with me to get my phone back if I paid him 8,000 Baht. I said No Thanks.

(8,000 Baht was more than I had paid for the Cellphone.)

When I received a Traffic ticket and went to the police station to pay and pick up my Driver’s license.

8.) a. One TRP Officer asked me. How did I passed Thai Driver’s License test without any Thai Help?

(I just smiled and replied, Common sense I have been driving overseas for years now.)

b. The TRP Officer asked, Why you don’t have Thai woman this is Thailand, you need Thai?

(I smiled again and replied, I came to Thailand for a relax life not to be worried to death.)

c. Then when the TRP Officer asked me how much I paid for my license.

(I answered I paid 258 Baht for License) The TRP Officer accused me of saying 2,000 Baht?

d. The way TRP said. “I will see you around”. I felt his intimidation as if he thought of me as a criminal?

If you want to call it discrimination or racism you can? I simply call it Thai uncompromising egotistical arrogant rude behavior and the money loving attitudes of the most Thai people. Once I had realized that I decided to vote with my feet by spending my retirement and money elsewhere.

As for the accident on July 1, 2014. I had been riding about a yard and a half inside the center line. When a Truck pulling out against traffic going the oboist direction. Suddenly lunged forward striking my bike, and my passenger’s leg/calf. Knocking me, my motorbike and my passenger over in the middle of the street lane. After I checking my Passenger and got my passenger out of the street onto the sidewalk. The truck driver had only stopped because traffic going the other way was too heavy and wouldn’t let him in. I went to the Truck driver’s door and opened it. Making him wait along with me until 5 uniformed TRP officer arrived on the scene. The TRP Officers called for an Ambulance to take my Passenger to Pattaya Memorial Hospital. The TRP Officers also to the driver’s and my information and let the driver go.

By the time I got to the Hospital Mary was already in the Hospital Emergency Room when I caught up. Mary told me seriously that the Thai trained Emergence Room Nurse informed her Blood Pressure was 140/90. Along with how afraid she was of being treated by the Thai trained Medical Staff in the Hospital. Not one of the Hospital staff in the Emergency Room ever offered or provided Mary a pillow while she laid on the flat gurney. After having the Emergence Room RN told Mary that her blood pressure was normal at 140/90 for a 5’-2”, 50 kilo Asian woman?

When the Emergence Room Doctor call me to discuss her required treatment and x-rays. He did not seem very well trained or able to read Mary’s x-rays. I had to point out some things to him. When I questioned the medications he was planning to give Mary was too strong for her for her size. Mary had told me it was just a tromping type pain or pains. He quickly agreed and changed it to something milder 6 Arcoxia, 90mg tabs. Which also proved to be too strong for Mary and she only took 2 tabs of the 6 tabs. The Vitamins prescript Mary did not trust either.

Oh, I forgot to say Mary is also a trained Nurse, which she also did no mention to any of them.

When I went to pay for the bills of around 3,800 baht and asked for an itemized list in English both the cashier and supervising Nurse had refused to provide one to me. The supervising Nurse gave me one of the Thai famous fake smiles and said to me as if she were talking to a child, ”Secret”. I had never felt more insulted, by a so called professional Hospital worker, a Thai RN Nurse too. Along with easily becoming able to fully understand Mary’s feeling and fear of being left there in the Thai Hospital’s care. I was never reimbursed for Mary’s medical bill thanks to the TRP (Thailand Royal Police) Officer’s

Signed accident report.

I come to believe and think after reading the Thai-Visa News here in Thailand. That most Thais believe, think and feel this Thai-ness in Thailand. Thai-ness is;

1. Thais don’t have respect for or have any concern for anyone feelings with less status or money.

2. Thais refuse to admit their mistakes always blaming others, or of Thais ever do anything wrong.

3. Thais believe in a class system where the more powerful or higher ranking is never questioned.

4. Thais have an undying superior complex no reason/compromise only truly trusting other Thais.

5. Thais love wasting showing off how much more they have and can do than others, even Thais.

6. Most Thais always boastful to be first feeling overly superior, egotistical arrogant and prideful.

7. Most Thais use family members, love and relationship valuing only money status and power.

8. Thai education system doesn’t allow open discussion or talking back to superior or betters.

9. Thais believe in a status system of looking down on everyone below or lower than they are.

10. As Buddhist, Thais can be forgiven for anything they do, if they publicly show remorse.

Thais do not call foreigners, foreigners. Thais call all Foreigners Farang usually in an insulting way.

11. Most Thais believe Thailand is for Thais not Foreigners, unless the Foreigner pays them to stay.

12. Most Thais double standards one low for Thais and another higher over charging all Foreigners.

13. Thais usually have a fake smile, I’ve only seen a real Thai smile when handing Thais money.

14. If anything happens between any Thai and any Foreigner the Thai should always be paid. (Thais believe if the Foreigner had not come to Thailand whatever happen would not have happened. So the Foreigner must be the one to pay, even if it is a Thai’s fault.)

15. Thais believe it’s every Thai right to lie cheat and scam as much as they can out of every Foreigner. Some believe it’s their right to even kill foreigners and not to be punished harshly.

16. Most Thais women only marry foreigners for money, status and power waiting for them to die.

17. Thai women don’t talk back to Thai men, but Thai women will argue, fight even kill foreign men.

18. Foreigner only have the right to is to waste, spend and pay money to stay in Thailand.

19. Thais believe all Foreigners are rich with money to waste.

20. There is no such thing as REAL FEEDOM in Thailand is not a democracy it is a Monarchy!

All Foreigners visiting or living in Thailand better learn and not forget any of the above.

Oh Thailand does not have to worry. I will only be returning once for one day to close bank accounts and take care of any unpaid bills.. After that trip I will not be returning to Thailand either. May GOD protect those of you who are staying or already hooked and trapped. Because I doubt Buddha or the coconut tree will... Truth is truth... Good Luck!

• Like 1

"I often find myself becoming exasperated with the complaints & petty observations about how "imperfect" Thailand is."

I find myself feeling the same....but about the Thai apologists who think everything is wonderful and they have to make excuses for the most disgraceful behaviour by Thais. A forum is a two-way street !!

Yes The filipinos are in another league - a minor league in every respect except one (by and large the filipinos are a nice people)...I've spent extensive time (years) in th PI and have never seen the place the way your describe it.....I've been to all areas and involved with a "hiso" family - I've served as a talent judge for talent competitions along side of the Mayor of a major city along with scions of industry there....I've been to most islands....I've traveled with our own maids and cooks + eaten in the upper level eateries as well as the shopping mall/common food servers.....

Nowhere does the Camelot that you paint exist except for possibly a small area of Manila (micro).....it simply does not exist....

You want to see down and out farangs - dirty - unpolished - scroungy - unwashed = the PI is your place......the people (while some are beautiful) are largely unwashed and desperate = matching up well with the foreigners that gravitate there....want an education----? Take a Tiger Air flight to Clarke AFB from BKK - you'll see exactly the "quality foreigner/farang" headed there - most for the ABC Hotel so they can partake in the pool parties......

Read the thread about the poor soul that wanted/thought about moving his family there and see the real PI......

I had handed to me chances at 100% non fail business interests (new 7-11's in established areas by major bus teminals & hospitals) through family connections that I wouldn't consider because I'd have to spend my life there.....

I could tell you about people trying to pick my pockets in broad daylight - about 3 guys trying to triangle me 2 behind with knives - 1 in front ready to stab me for my wallet at about 12:20 in the afternoon in broad daylight behind the cover of a sign....they found out they'd picked the wrong guy.....

I could tell you about somebody that simply dissappeared because his wife had relatives in the NLA or PLA or whatever it's called...and he was worth more money after 7 years and declared dead....this is an anti government group that makes it's living as muscle for hire for the people that wish to side step the law.....you want somebody to drop their suit? Need someone gone? Need someone hurt and afraid to talk - call these guys....the police give them carte blanche....their scared of them....they are nationwide and organised with para military precision and ranks.....

If you like aggressive beggars (everywhere in the PI) following you gaining in numbers while walking or going to a place to eat - or pounding on the side of your cars at stops - go to the PI....(kind of like the night of the living desperate).....

If you think driving is tough here - it's about 10X worse there - coupled with the fact a lot of lights do not work and street signs are non existent......and the male drivers (hardly any female drivers there) are mano on mano betting their fenders - drive down a dark street and watch suicide drivers/rider coming from every direction on dark rainy nights - many without lights - a large number on bicycles (no sound) - can;t afford anything else.....try driving on a street with 2 lanes when one is completely choked by Jeepney's crawling along with 1940's brakes and trolling for rides the other several hundred Jeepneys might have missed - go to what is supposed to be a seaside city and find overpiriced accomodations (not family - keep reading) with cock roaches sharing the building with you - out in plain sight and light day and night ......watch the worried looks on the faces of the people that care about you when you're around them....travel by bus - just to try it and feel the rear wheel losing traction around turns (they're absolutely suicidal) ...... worse than here - their driver have order to run down anything in their way - there's no consequences for them.....

Wait until you're driving on election weeks and routinely stopped with ploice checking for guns....enjoy the feeling of being searched for weapons going into shopping malls.....look at the the shotgun armed guards at every large business....watch the non existent police (better look fast - they're not there and at most police boxes you'll have to go to their homes looking for them in the smaller towns).......

Want to see a nervous Taxi driver or Trike driver - be a farang and use one......watch as you've chartered a cab as people see you going into a place to eat and circle the car with a towel on their fists looking to see if anything left inside the car....

I submit to you you have no clue about the place......or you're drunk in "paradise".....

Filipinas (some) are great - most are very possessive - jealous - and vocal - don't even thing of acknowledging another female if yours does not know her.....

Been involved with 4 - 1st was great - together 8 1/2 years and traveled the world together with free flight priviledges (from her) and a great time...2nd had the dissappearing husband (found out after I asked why the kids never visited their Dad) and the NLA/PLA family members - think he took one trip into the jungle he never returned from - 3rd = too jealous.....

4th (ex-wife) - a good women - owned her own very large house and business exporting to NY boutiques...+ family has 90+ hotels in it's chain + 7-11's + catering concerns + ranches/farms + commissary businesses.......attended parties in houses larger than a lot of hotels and the other party goers usually had body guards ( holders of government office nationally - business leaders - minor officials - celebrities) ....reason for ending = unlimited arguing/control problems

I had the golden ticket - I was part of a successful family with family houses, ranches, condos, hotels at my disposal - I was undefeatable in Karaoke (important in PI - like the national pastime - at large parties it was defaulted to me as having automatically the best voice) ....I was - through family importance - an important person and I still walked away - why?

I didn't want my life to end there - not safe to walk about.......let alone live......a cloaking/choking existence

Don't even pretend to tell the people on this board how much better the PI is - - - I could go on but this is enough......

Go out and learn your lessons - be careful or it will be your last - don't come across like such a simpleton.......

This has to be one of the most cohesive and accurate descriptions of PI that I have ever read or even encountered!

• Like 1

Your right thats why I said A DISCOUNT FOR LOCALS

Well perhaps there is a chance that a farang, with a Thai companion, is likely to be paying that higher price for both of them if they can get away with it. Or they think the Thai people will be pleased to see that farangs are blatantly discriminated against. But if you can read the Thai sign, there is a good chance you have a Thai driving licence, and with that, you too can get what you believe to be a Thai only price.
I look at it as a set price and a discount for locals. They do the same in England. I think locals can go to the swimming baths cheaper and to the Minster cathedral etc. After all the local girls have probably taken a few selfies in Nong Nooch etc before and just tag along with the new fella.
As for our welcome smile diminishing I agree I think they are probably getting a bit fed up of us Farang. We nick all the best looking birds, we build big houses out in the sticks and take the Michael in general and then expect them to change the countries rules and culture to suit us. Not to mention the moaning plonkers that don't speak the language and then complain when they don't know what's going on around them.
I can see loads wrong with this country but if you treat people with respect you generally are treated the same in return. It is dangerous if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and the roads are bad but I am sure I smile more here than in my old country.

Nowhere in England has two tier pricing. What you are referring to is this.... Some local authorities give a discount to people who live in that borough. For example I used to get discounted gym membership. To enter St Paul's EVERYONE has to pay unless you are a paid up member of the congregation. Here overcharging non Thais is legal and sanctioned by the government which is morally wrong and racist.

If anyone is interested, khmer440 has a recent Thailand/Cambodia comparison article written by someone who has lived in both countries.

Just went to check it out, and the google site "says he died yesterday, and everything has been removed from his TV site. anyone heard anything on this?

@ crazynowlazy

You said:

"But Thais feel it’s their special right to scams, lies, cheat or tricks as much money as they can out of Foreigners"

actually they do it too each other too!

as near as I can figure (and i'm still not completely sure about this) they function in a market setting, in a way that if you act...."incongruent" with the system and/or are ignorant of it- they will take advantage of you! Often in their minds they will comfort themselves and sanitise their trickery with any of a number of guilt/responsability saving excuses, of which I have provided just several here:, 1) "I was lucky- that's why I made such a high profit, 2) The foreigner has money, so he can afford it,

and last- but certainly not least

3) They just don't care, because thier entire society is based on subservience/kowtowing to higher authority and or exploitation of lower authority.

In this way- domination in a business setting is a way for them to gain higher status over you and thus exploit you in the same way a person of less status/wealth will provide respect and inversely proportional services to a person of higher rank/privelage.

Thais don't see the difference though.

The differance being- In the patron/client relationship, there is often a very large component of reciprocity expected after you do someone a "favor".

However,

In a "one off" scam- you can't expect anything in return- except maybe to get scammed again. Simply because you didn't do them a favor per se- but were gulible and thus inferior- by default a lower class and someone to be taken advantage of.

B

If anyone is interested, khmer440 has a recent Thailand/Cambodia comparison article written by someone who has lived in both countries.

Just went to check it out, and the google site "says he died yesterday, and everything has been removed from his TV site. anyone heard anything on this

Here is the link to the article together with replies:

http://www.khmer440.com/k/2014/11/cambodia-or-thailand-comparing-expat-destinations/

There is good and bad everywhere. Nowhere is perfect, you have to adapt. Once I learned how to adapt in PI it was great. Here in Thailand I could adapt to. We can't go to another country (and culture) and expect it to be like home. I know Thai men with 2 wives/gf's, which seems to be quite acceptable - if the man can support both. Money is harder here, there is no safety net so it will always be a focus. I will be happy if I can find a good compromise.

Buy yourself a maybe local and take the path.

Sorry, you've lost me there

. And me