Gov Raps ‘overzealous’ Immigration Officer

george

Gov raps ‘overzealous’ Immigration officer

PHUKET: -- Governor Udomsak Uswarangkura yesterday morning asked the head of Immigration at Phuket International Airport to transfer a subordinate who refused entry to two loud South Korean tourists on July 11.

But the Immigration chief defended his officer’s actions and said he would refer the matter to his superiors before taking any action.

The meeting, at the Governor’s Office at Phuket Provincial Hall today, followed an official complaint by the Republic of Korea Embassy to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, who were represented at the meeting by Suwalai Pinpradup, head of its South Region 4 Office in Phuket.

At the meeting Gov Udomsak told Pol Col Surasak Adthapanyavanich, who heads the Immigration unit at the airport, that he thought the officer in question, Pol Capt Chuchat Petngam, had gone too far in denying entry to the two Koreans, who were forced to fly all the way back to Korea.

“Even though he had the authority to do that, I think he displayed bad judgment and should be reassigned to a position outside Phuket,” said the Governor.

But Col Surasak defended Capt Chuchat, saying that his actions were reasonable under the circumstances.

“He was acting within his authority. In fact we sent back 10 Korean tourists last year under similar circumstances. In those cases, none of them complained so it didn’t become a big issue. In this case, I think the two tourists involved have to accept that it was their own behavior that resulted in their being barred, because they refused to follow our procedures,” he said.

The two Koreans in question arrived at the passport control area speaking loudly, which caused them to miss some of the Immigration officer’s instructions. After this they reacted with anger at the officer in charge,” he said.

“Such behavior gives an Immigration officer sufficient reason to deny them entry under Section 12(7) of Thai Immigration Law,” he said.

Col Surasak added that Immigration officers at the airport were overworked.

“At the passport control area in the arrival area we have 16 counters, but only five officers to man them. At the departure area we have just four officers to man 12 counters. I will ask for more manpower before the start of the high season,” he said.

Col Surasak said he understood that the Governor wants to ensure the continued success of Phuket’s post-tsunami recovery by making the island open to as many tourists as possible, but said that Immigration officers have to consider security issues as well.

“We have to screen tourists as a matter of security, not just for Phuket but for the entire country. If tourists arrive here acting rudely and are unwilling to comply with basic entry procedures, then we must view them as a risk. In any event, I will refer this case to my Commander and let him decide what action, if any, would be fair to take against Capt Chuchat.”

--Phuket Gazette 2006-08-09

whilst passing through immigration last month en route to the uk , there was a lady immigration officer screaming and shouting at an elderly middle eastern couple who had filled in some form incorrectly , or had presented the wrong form to this officer on the exit desk. this couple could not speak more than a couple of words of english , and the immigration officers english was just as poor.

other immigration officers at neighbouring desks just giggled and laughed at the humiliation of this hapless elderly couple in front of hundreds of other people in the exit queues.

no immigration officer went to help them and the couple were screamed at to get to the back of the queue .

they were helped by a farang couple to sort out their paperwork before moving to another queue and trying again.

mutterings could be heard from others in the queues about the disgusting behaviour of not only the foul mouthed officer , but her fellow officers who in true thai style professionalism could only giggle and smirk like schoolchildren.

well done thailand.

I thought it was only the British who adopt the attitude of speaking louder

so the natives will understand. :D

Apparently not. :o

On a more serious note.

“We have to screen tourists as a matter of security, not just for Phuket but for the entire country. If tourists arrive here acting rudely and are unwilling to comply with basic entry procedures, then we must view them as a risk. In any event, I will refer this case to my Commander and let him decide what action, if any, would be fair to take against Capt Chuchat.”

Just how are foreign nationals expected to understand, when the Immigration officer does not speak their language????

Not everyone speaks English, and few outsiders speak Thai. :D

“Such behavior gives an Immigration officer sufficient reason to deny them entry under Section 12(7) of Thai Immigration Law,” he said.

which reads:

Having behaviour which would indicate possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

The two Koreans in question arrived at the passport control area speaking loudly, which caused them to miss some of the Immigration officer’s instructions. After this they reacted with anger at the officer in charge,” he said.

hmmm... borderline case I suppose, however a more likely "real" reason for the whole situation:

“We have to screen tourists as a matter of security, not just for Phuket but for the entire country. If tourists arrive here acting rudely and are unwilling to comply with basic entry procedures, then we must view them as a risk.

What nonsense. The Koreans were rude, the officer was overworked and got offended. It has nothing to do with security. But if this is a regular occurence, they need to do something about it.

I find the places which see a lot of obnoxious foreigners tend to develop the rudest Thais - the foreign exchange section of the Bangkok Bank near Sukhumvit Soi 12 taking top prize, in my experience.

hmmm... borderline case I suppose, however a more likely "real" reason for the whole situation:

exactly ! :D too many folks flock to Thailand - immigration works too hard !

I don't know about Koreans, but Chinese (even if they are not only from mainland but from HK, Taiwan and even Malaysia and SIngapore) ARE too loud. everywhere where they happen to be - shopping complex or on the sky train, they seems like speaking to full capacity of their vocal vords - perhaps they have ear membranes problems ? my wife always try to go away as soon as posible if happen to be in the same place with them, and I saw same reaction of many other Thais near by.

although Thais themselves LOVE noise too - they might be no less loud sometimes. more noise - more sanook ! :o

but I guess those officers realy have such a right and in this and similar cases exercise it properly. I wonder what would happen if it was say in UK or US customs - not to mention Aussie !

It's the same almost everywhere. I've been to a lot of countries and have yet to find anywhere that had nice immigration officers!

I have to admit, the last two times I went to Singapore, the immigration folks went out of their way to make sure my Thai accomplice and I had all our bases covered and our questions answered. Said accomplice is not normally what you would call a big S'pore fan, but was very impressed with these people, and said she wished Thai immis were more like them. Above and beyond the call.

jb

I've seen Thai immigration officers shouting at people queing for passport stamps on three occasions. Among the rudest behaviour I have seen from any Thai.

While rude visitors should get a kick in the arse, so should rude immigration staff. At present there is no recourse at all.

It's called immigration POLICE. Let's say their job is not to be friendly but to catch offenders to the law.

Having said that, sometimes I am a bit irrtated when I get no repsonse to my friendly hello and thank you, but usually I manage to get a smile from the (female) officers. :o

It's called immigration POLICE. Let's say their job is not to be friendly but to catch offenders to the law.

Having said that, sometimes I am a bit irrtated when I get no repsonse to my friendly hello and thank you, but usually I manage to get a smile from the (female) officers. :o

Between 1973 - 2001 I passed through Immigration at Don Muang at least twice a month. To me the immigration officers have shown good style most the time. I do not have any real bad experience - but have from some other countries. Today I think the officers are more open than many years ago and if you speak some Thai you can even share a joke with them. In the old days none of them spoke English while today their English is pretty acceptable. They have a job which I think is very boring indeed. Many of "their customers" are pretty tired when they arrive after a long flight so I am not surprised there sometimes can be problems. Most the time we are treated the same we treat other people which is no excuse if someone is treated badly - immigration officer or traveller.

Edited by tominchaam

Blimey Axel! I always find the female officers the worst! Looking at your Passport like you have smeared poodle ca ca over it. Special thanks go to the Officer at Don Muang for literally throwing my Passport over the counter at me, forcing me to bend over and pick it up.[No, not after a wise crack unless you count " Good Morning."]

Surely, a Passport is as representative to ones country as its flag? And how many Thais would tolerate disrespect to thier flag?

the first thai that any tourist or visitor to this kingdom will have contact with when they enter the country , and the last thai they have contact with before they leave will be the immigration officer on duty at the airport or land border. how they behave will make a lasting impression.

it is surely incumbent upon that officer to be friendly , helpful and polite to their guests , even in the face of rowdy behaviour from passengers.

its part of the job.

if they are unable to behave with restraint when faced with noisy foriegners then they shouldnt be in that line of work.

tiredness and overwork are pathetic excuses.

the first thai that any tourist or visitor to this kingdom will have contact with when they enter the country , and the last thai they have contact with before they leave will be the immigration officer on duty at the airport or land border. how they behave will make a lasting impression.

it is surely incumbent upon that officer to be friendly , helpful and polite to their guests , even in the face of rowdy behaviour from passengers.

its part of the job.

if they are unable to behave with restraint when faced with noisy foriegners then they shouldnt be in that line of work.

tiredness and overwork are pathetic excuses.

I know what is coming soon....And before it starts,I dont think taxexile means Immigration should hand arrivals a bunch of flowers and a complimentary shoe shine...But a "Good morning" is not too hard now is it?

But Col Surasak defended Capt Chuchat...

Immigration Act, Section 12(7):
Having behavior which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation , or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.
--------------

Maestro

I have been working as a pilot in Thailand for 11 years and when in uniform there is never a problem. However as a passenger, in civilian clothes, I have experienced the same government employee attitude from Thai Immigrations. Luckily, their cohorts down at Suan Poo (Silom Soi 3 immigrations) are on the same program, be rude at all costs. The old guy at the re entry desk being number one in my book. Another recent change in Customs is they seem to be checking inbound baggage a lot more frequently. My father visited recently and bought a Sony Playstation for my kids at Dubai Duty free in transit. He made the mistake of leaving it in the Dubai Duty Free bag. Cost him 1000 baht on the spot no receipt. TIT. Not much can be done about rude government employees. Try the Department of Motor Vehicles in California for a real treat sometime.