Suvarnabhumi Cigarette scam?

agrg

My parents were flying out of BKK and while purchasing duty free they were told they were allowed two cartons of cigarettes each. Pretty sure this isn't the case but its not a scam I've heard of either. My assumption would be that they sell you too many cigarettes then the police pick you up and fine you.

I know of King Powers old scam of accusing people of shop lifting but has anyone heard of a cigarette scam? Don't think taking too many cigarettes is even a crime, it's arriving with too many that's a problem.

Thoughts?

Suvarnabhumi shopping is a scam!

Been flying in/out here for the past 6 years, never shopped anything other than food.

First of all no Marlboro -> no shopping - does not matter that the shop assistant was trying to say "May pen Rai, buy something else"....

Seccond of all i found that their prices is very high - tax free my a... Saw a bottle of wine that retail in 7/11 for about 150 Baht and at Suvarnabhumi shopping they asked for 300

Bu-Humbug

• Like 2

Been flying in/out here for the past 6 years, never shopped anything other than food.

First of all no Marlboro -> no shopping - does not matter that the shop assistant was trying to say "May pen Rai, buy something else"....

Seccond of all i found that their prices is very high - tax free my a... Saw a bottle of wine that retail in 7/11 for about 150 Baht and at Suvarnabhumi shopping they asked for 300

Bu-Humbug

I can assure you that almost all liquor is substantially cheaper at the airport then in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Flying out of Suv and believe in what Thai sales personnel tells you about US customs regulations.

Sorry, very naive and your parents need some basic advice on international travel.

Its your responsibility to know the customs regulations at your destination.

• Like 2

If you are flying out of Bkk, assuming you are talking about Thai police why would the police pick you up for too many cigs? There is no such scam as carrying too much cigs in the airport. I think you are getting a head of yourself. The duty free lady might have the limits of the country your parents are traveling to wrong, or she was simply trying to get more sales by telling a big fat lie.

The only scam like you have heard is the "shop lifting" scam.

Never even considered that Thai customs would care how much cigarettes you take out of Thailand (departure).

US customs will be interested to know.

Hope I did not misunderstand the thread.

I can think about the opposite story: you can buy duty free on arrival in Suvarnabhumi (after baggage pickup).

If they tell you that 400 cig./person is OK, then you can call it a "scam".

Edited by KhunBENQ

Bu-Humbug

I can assure you that almost all liquor is substantially cheaper at the airport then in Bangkok.

This year I paid £11 for a carton (200 cigs) of B&H at swampy which I saw on sale in Dubai for £22. BTW this costs £80 in the UK and you're only allowed 200 per person over 18

• Like 1

The biggest scam about the cigarettes sold at duty free in Suvarnabumi is pretty clear to everyone.

It's these horrible pictures on the packaging where in duty free they shouldn't be.

That's why you don't see Marlboro there because Philip Morris didn't agree to this scam ;)

Flying out of Suv and believe in what Thai sales personnel tells you about US customs regulations.

Sorry, very naive and your parents need some basic advice on international travel.

No my parents didn't believe them, they only got one carton each. I was just inquiring to see if any one would know why the shop assistant would be telling them to buy two.

I said they were flying BKK to UK via France. Why would US customs regulations be applicable?

The biggest scam about the cigarettes sold at duty free in Suvarnabumi is pretty clear to everyone.

It's these horrible pictures on the packaging where in duty free they shouldn't be.

That's why you don't see Marlboro there because Philip Morris didn't agree to this scam wink.png

Really? why would they agree to it on domestic stock then? those are what I take home anyway wink.png

Bu-Humbug

Sangsom is more expensive at the airport.

That's why you don't see Marlboro there because Philip Morris didn't agree to this scam wink.png

Really? why would they agree to it on domestic stock then? those are what I take home anyway wink.png

Are they cheaper than at 7eleven?

No my parents didn't believe them, they only got one carton each. I was just inquiring to see if any one would know why the shop assistant would be telling them to buy two.

I said they were flying BKK to UK via France. Why would US customs regulations be applicable?

The shop assistant would have been telling them it is 2 carton maximum per boarding pass this was introduced a couple of years back.

before that you could buy as many as you could get into your hand luggage.

I have travelled with mates who brought backpacks and stuffed them with 12 cartons each.

they got stopped once by customs upon arrival home and got off with a warning, They had their details entered into the customs database but got keeping the cigarettes without paying any duty.

Only because they flew from bangkok and the duty free shops were openly selling you as many cartons as you could carry.

Last time in August--I wanted a 200 carton for a friend in N.Z--King Power lady said " cannot Australia " only 50 allowed--which is correct-

when she understood that I was going to N.Z direct -it was o.k. as 200 was the allowance--I say was - because N.Z--like the sheep- has now followed suit. blink.png

So full marks to the King Power lady--apart from a little geography hic-up wink.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last time in August--I wanted a 200 carton for a friend in N.Z--King Power lady said " cannot Australia " only 50 allowed--which is correct-

when she understood that I was going to N.Z direct -it was o.k. as 200 was the allowance--I say was - because N.Z--like the sheep- has now followed suit. blink.png

So full marks to the King Power lady--apart from a little geography hic-up wink.png

I was heading out to Aus. for a month , and I bought 600 cigarettes , the people in the shop told me that I was only allowed 50 , I told them that I intended to pay the duty when arriving in Aus. as it still works out cheaper than buying cigs in Aus.

They sold me the 600 but would not let me keep the receipt. No problems.

They also offer advice on sales of spirits.

Couple of years back I was flying direct to Cairo and wanted to buy two bottles of JW Black. The assistant advised me that he can only sell me one bottle as that was the allowance at Cairo. However, having flown into Cairo numerous times, I knew that two bottles was no problem. So I insisted on buying two bottles. He finally agreed but had me indicate on the bottom of the receipt that it was my decision to buy the two bottles and got me to sign it off!

I don't understand the need for the staff at duty free impose the laws , okay give advice on limits.

as I mentioned , i have purchased excess to the limits and paid the duty the other end if required.

Bu-Humbug

What wine sells at seven for 150 baht? Impossible.

Flew last year to south Africa via Singapore. Could not buy cigarettes because Singapore does not allow it...

Bu-Humbug

First of all, departures duty free does sell Marlboro...you can see stacks of them as you walk past the shops.

Second of all there is no bottle of wine sold anywhere in Thailand, particularly at 7/11, that costs 150 baht, perhaps apart from homemade rice wine sold at some village shop. Spirit prices at Suvarnabhumi are far cheaper than the prices in the city. Count on duty free prices to be about 25% cheaper for a litre bottle as compared to a 750 mL bottle in the city.