Sydney siege: Gunman takes hostages in Lindt cafe

webfact

Aren't guns illegal in OZ?

If so, how can this happen?

Hope the terrorist gets shot & the hostages get out, but one armed citizen amongst the hostages could be quite handy.

Gun ownership is not illegal in Australia. It is, however, highly regulated and laws were standardised nationally after the 1996 legislation in response to the mass shooting in Tasmania. Certain types of firearms are prohibited but rifles and shotguns are allowed but controlled.

I had a very nice collection of working firearms before 1996 including some rare and special WWI and WWII firearms inherited from my Grandfather but I had to dispose of them. Even though I held a firearms license, some of the weapons were of a style that were prohibited and I could not comply with the new conditions. The exact conditions can be seen online on Wikipedia and such.

I support gun control.

I see reports that the hostage taker is armed with a shot gun.

if they have released the name you can bet they know with 99% certainity. He is a scum bag Irian clerik granted assylum in Aus, on parole for muder of his wife, stabbed her and set her alight. many other sexual violence charges. It is reported he has a sword. They are releasing tis info because they are ready to take him down

Name was just released, i was talking about previous headlines.

He is out on bail, so this act may be his way to "go out" but i am puzzled by the ISIS claims, he is Iranian.

Precisely..you have all jumped the gun on your Muslim bashing.

He was a nut job with a personal axe to grind ... just as I said.

His former Facebook page, pulled down on Monday night as the siege continued had 14,725 "likes" when it was shut down.http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/martin-place-sydney-siege-gunman-identified-as-man-haron-monis-20141215-127sxt.html

Yeah with 15000 likesrolleyes.giffacepalm.gif

Get these Lunatics sent back home! seriously what parasitic scum... Living in a country that has opened their arms to allow all races and colors to try and exist peacefully and harmoniously. We need a new Australia, somewhere to send the lunatics too where they can preach and blow each other up and leave the rest of the world to evolve!

• Like 1

did anyone watch "border security australia"?

they look so tough with western people and deport anyone if they suspect they went to Australia with the wrong visa

then they let free an iranian with a huge criminal history

someone in the australian immigration/government is dumb as hell

It's all happening now!

Flashbangs, shots, medics going in, more shots, hostages carried out.

I think the nut has met Allah

Stretchers going in, hope the innocent have survived!

Not police.......that was SAS shock bangs.. SAS dressed in police uniform..............

he's dead! he has been taken out..... they knew via night-vision exactly where he was..........

I am glad i was wrongwai2.gif

No confirmation of what is happening to him,?

I'm guessing it involves bleeding.

And two holes.....

I suspect after this incident is truly over, Australia will be reviewing its immigration

policies. If you let in nut cases, bad things happen.... :-(

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Caught this on CNN

(CNN) -- A social media campaign condemning Islamophobia under the hashtag #illridewithyou has taken off after an armed man who may have links to radical Islam took hostages in Sydney.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/15/world/asia/australia-hostage-illridewithyou/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

This stuff makes me proud to be Australian. It reaffirms my trust in humanity and humanism. It endorses modern Australian society as open, fair and tolerant.

Kudos to the police who acted calmly and professionally throughout the day. Am very saddened that the resolution of the hostage incident seems to have involved the death of someone apart from the hostage taker. No doubt extensive post-mortems of the action will now take place and more information will be available. Then informed comments can be made unlike much of this thread to date.

• Like 2

The idiots from some of the MSn already labeling this a lone wolf attack. The inference, nothing to see here, just a nutter, a one off, don't worry, all is right with the world. How many lone wolfs before these brainwashed idiots understand they are in a war.

The war has been going on for 1400 years. lets not condemn all Muslims of course, just the religion that motivates this constant jihad from some countries, organised terror groups, jihadist armies, hate preachers and of course the lone 'nutter' version.

• Like 1

"Earlier, the police said that the hostage-taker was Man Haron Monis, an Iranian-born man in his 50s with a criminal record who called himself Sheikh Haron..."

"According to The Age, a national newspaper, Mr. Monis was free on bail in two separate criminal cases. He was charged in November 2013 with being an accessory before and after the fact in the murder of his ex-wife, Noleen Hayson Pal, who was stabbed and set on fire in an apartment in Werrington."

NY Times

Well hopefully the only death will be The Jihadist scum.

According to ch9, 2 confirmed dead, Monis being one of them

With all that gunfire id be surprised if he was still alive

That's very sad that someone has died other than Monis, who is no loss to any society