Bangkok's bus fleet procurement: why Scania, Volvo opt out

webfact

OMG, please get the Big Boss in action and tell him that these Chinese Buses are the biggest crap!

I'm using them everday and they are in horrible condition after short time of using.

Even the old Isuzu, Volvo or Scania buses are in better condition after 40 years...

Same for long distance buses, the government transport company seems to have bought some chinese buses, too.

Their old Mercedes buses still in better shape.

They have to make a new tender process.

And I also have great doubts what's happening with the new railway built by the chinese. But that's another story

Excerpt 1: “We had full confidence in our products,” the Scania Siam executive said"
My comment : It is not about you, but about your client

Excerpt 2 : "Phuriwat also said the median prices specified by the BMTA at THB4.5 million for air-conditioned, low-floor bus and THB3.8 million for regular, non-air-conditioned bus, are way too low for Scania Siam, which offers high quality bus products, to participate."

My comment : Even the best product in the world is too difficult to sell if it's price is too high.

Pretty basic economics....

remember the fire trucks? probably still sitting in a field somewhere...

the majority suffers so a few can benefit.

Tell us about the fire trucks please. I'm curious. wai.gif

They are here and have been here for the past 7 years vith no maintence or protection

thailand1-articleLarge.jpg

Edited by JohanB

Maybe it will be a fleet of MB Citaro'stongue.png

That would be great! Mercedes-Benz- best busses at all. But wait - who is going to sell you a brandnew western standard commuter-bus for as low as 3.5 or 4 Million Bath? They are sold around 8 Million. But wait - you can get them used for as low as 1.5Mio Baht (35 000.- €) - 10 years old, 1 Mio. kilometers. Still better than chinese crap and everything that is rolling on Bangkok-streets today:

http://suchen.mobile.de/lkw-inserat/mercedes-benz-o-530-citaro-315-4416-gr%C3%BCne-plakette-untersteinach-bei-kulmbach/203066936.html

Very interesting particularly as we don't normally see this amount of detail.This is a case where I would be very supportive of the government holding an enquiry.But it won't happen and the Chinese/local sidekicks will clean up and Bangkok will end up with shitty buses.

Good example as regards corruption of how this government will tackle the low hanging fruit (cleaning up beaches etc) but leave this kind of monstrous abuse - which I appreciate has long antecedents - well alone.Perhaps I will be proven wrong.

'The TOR ... requires bidders to have prior experience ... providing repair and maintenance services on the said products ...' With the worst will in the world, they could hardly fail to compete with the cowboys who drive, and those who 'maintain', many of the buses on Bangkok's roads.

'“Volvo Truck and Bus is not familiar with the bidding process that makes us feels like we have to compete with others to lower prices ...' Not to say include a margin for extra-curricular fees.

They are here and have been here for the past 7 years vith no maintence or protection

Great photo. Where are those trucks ? I seem to recall somewhere around Laem Chabang port but do not really know where. I would like to go up and see them...

The Key Issue being missed within the TOR is indeed: "we challenge BMTA to look at total life cycle cost, which is the purchasing price plus fuel cost and maintenance cost over, say 10 or 15 years,”

In most if not all developed countries, the most important factor in purchasing Buildings, Vehicles, Planes, Ships is NOT based on the "price-tag" hanging from the item, but what the actual costs are to use, run, maintain etc. that item over the next 5; 10 or 25 years (depending on the nature of the item). - It is totally un-intelligent to approach purchasing these major items on any other basis !

coffee1.gif

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

The Key Issue being missed within the TOR is indeed: "we challenge BMTA to look at total life cycle cost, which is the purchasing price plus fuel cost and maintenance cost over, say 10 or 15 years,”

In most if not all developed countries, the most important factor in purchasing Buildings, Vehicles, Planes, Ships is NOT based on the "price-tag" hanging from the item, but what the actual costs are to use, run, maintain etc. that item over the next 5; 10 or 25 years (depending on the nature of the item). - It is totally un-intelligent to approach purchasing these major items on any other basis !

coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Agree, a little bit of Asset management is required

I spend considerable time in factories around Thailand. Many of the older companies started up with European equipment and it is still running 40 years later with local maintenance and support. Off the top of my head, 20 to 30% of those older factories that are expanding with Chinese equipment tell me that it either does not work at all, or is constantly breaking down. This covers plastics extrusion, sheet glass manufacturing, CNC machines, and welding equipment.

Someone wrote above that buying cheap often means buying twice - so true. One of my customers told me that his Chinese equipment was cheap to buy, but infinitely expensive to produce with.

Not that any of that matters to those approving the TOR and awarding the project - same with the trains...

• Like 1

BANKOCKUMS

THE REAL Tragedy for motorist rich poor flang and Thai alike is is any long term efficiency both economic and environmental will be offset by need for upfront bung.As others noted the tollway swampy tenders.50 folks travelling safely in a clean cool fast buslane would be less traffic.

Not to worry whole new public transit criteria loom.

Swedes make fine subs which while they cannot find Russians could fit a lot of little people may tender for the public transport in the transition phase from foetid sewer to underwater paradise soon.

I wouldn't put past the players to claim some hollowcost reason for the Germans to build them free as Thailads didnt get Marshall Plan handouts

Of course they ban kockumss

The Gotland class submarines of the Swedish Navy are modern diesel-electric submarines, which were designed andbuilt by the Kockums shipyard in Sweden.

Of course an Express service from Don Muang to Swampy underwater air termnal could be achieved by inserting VIPs into da torpedo tubes.

Oddly in many years observing VIP bus arriving in Chiang Mai I have never once seen a politician,British aristocrat ,pop star or footballer ,I suppose they travel economy to mingle with their fans

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Scania Siam never had a NGV Bus in the Thai market and they are not able to produce busses in the price range 3.8 - 4.5 million ฿. So what? Stupid whingers.

Do not confuse Scania Siam with Scania...

"Do not confuse Scania Siam with Scania..."

Hate to spoil your day but:

Scania Siam is a wholly-owned subsidary of Scania Sweden.

Nothing to confuse, it is the same company!!coffee1.gif

Dream on...

http://www.scania.co.th/about-scania/scania-in-brief/

Looking forward to your reply!!coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Nice website...

28.9 billion baht / 3183 buses = 9079484 baht / bus. BMTA set a budget cost of 4.5million for air-conditioned buses.

Well, something wrong again here in the maths... Or maybe we gonna see more rich hi-so kids on Ferrari in the near future?

Which would lead to think they have enough to buy those swedish buses at 8 M per unit...

But then 10% cash back doesn't cut it :) So no thank you...

When you consider that Bangkok is the regional capital, it is quite a sight to see those old, decrepit buses clogging the roads. They really make Bangkok look like a poor, barely surviving kind of third world capital, instead of the tiger that it really is. A lot of bad judgment, bad decisions, lack of vision, lack of transparency, and lack of wisdom, for a decade or so, leads to a situation like this. I was told there was a Danish monorail company some time back that had proposed a monorail all the way around the island of Samui. At no cost! They were willing to do it as a pilot project, for marketing purposes, entirely for free! It was turned down. I was told by a GM of a five star hotel here, that it was rejected as the local officials could not figure out how to pocket any money on a free construction project. And Samui has suffered from horrific public transportation ever since. Things like this do not happen when there are intelligent people, with wisdom, guiding a country, and a city. You cannot allow bad decisions like this to happen. Gleaming new Swedish buses, that are clean, efficient, and comfortable would have added so much to the public transportation scene in Bangkok. The men responsible for these kinds of decisions should be taken out into a town square, and lashed by the public, that they have so blatantly betrayed.

• Like 1

They bought Swedish fast jets for the Air Force, why not the buses?.

Because the jets were made in Sweden, the busses would have been made in Thailand, by Scania Siam Co.,Ltd.

Wrong again!!

Scania Siam does not produce anything.

Merely a maintenance and service company for buses and trucks produced in Europe or Latin America.

Why post on a topic, where your "knowledge" is below zero??

Great photo. Where are those trucks ? I seem to recall somewhere around Laem Chabang port but do not really know where. I would like to go up and see them...

What a scandal! Only a very rich, prosperous and stupid country could do such a thing.

What is the reason for these being mothballed - or just left to rot?

Scania Siam never had a NGV Bus in the Thai market and they are not able to produce busses in the price range 3.8 - 4.5 million ฿. So what? Stupid whingers.

Do not confuse Scania Siam with Scania...

"Do not confuse Scania Siam with Scania..."

Hate to spoil your day but:

Scania Siam is a wholly-owned subsidary of Scania Sweden.

Nothing to confuse, it is the same company!!coffee1.gif

And owned by Volkswagen as well as bus maker MAN.

They bought Swedish fast jets for the Air Force, why not the buses?.

Because the jets were made in Sweden, the busses would have been made in Thailand, by Scania Siam Co.,Ltd.

Wrong again!!

Scania Siam does not produce anything.

Merely a maintenance and service company for buses and trucks produced in Europe or Latin America.

Why post on a topic, where your "knowledge" is below zero??

They "assemble" in Chachoengsao... it's the same with all European/Japanese/American companies, like BMW, Mercedes,Toyota, Ford and many others, not car related firms, "assembled" or produced in Thailand/sold in Thailand = inferior quality.