Farang Prince Dies In Thai Jail

ScubaDuc

Yesterday I got a phone call from my mate in the next village, saying he had just recieved a call from his wifes sister in pattaya saying a plane had blown up in UK killing thousands, I quickly corrected this for him.

Interestingly my wife told me exactly the same, maybe there was some miscommunication in the Thai media (missus was watching TV).

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story verified.

Moving topic to News Forum.

/Moved

Good move, JD.

:o

It certainly WAS one of the most difficult news articles TO verify.

:D:D

Now then, would you like to merge this other thread into this one?:

European With Royal Blood Dies In Thailand Jail, Christoff Hohenlohe

Timewise, it has the first readable version of events in English.

ohhh... the work of a mod is never finished...

whatever opinions one may have about snobbish looks, minor royals, privilege and the victimless crime of altering the date on a visa stamp , this was a sad and probably unnecessary death.

an on the spot fine would have been sufficient punishment.

if Thailand really wants to be taken seriously as a country fit for admission to the developed world it should put an end to hypocritical practices such as allowing murderers to go free or unpunished whilst locking up stupid foriegners for fiddling with their passports.

The Bild article states that he was taken to hospital where he died in the night of Sunday to Monday. The family suspects the cause of death to be "sugar shock". This sounds like problems with diabetes. Did the BIB deny him his meds?

The Thai authorities are being very tight-lipped about the whole affair, refusing even to discuss the cause of death or releasing any details, except to the embassy.

From what I do gather, he was diabetic... and indeed, if his insulin was denied to him while he was in prison, death would be imminent.

whatever opinions one may have about snobbish looks, minor royals, privilege and the victimless crime of altering the date on a visa stamp , this was a sad and probably unnecessary death.

an on the spot fine would have been sufficient punishment.

if Thailand really wants to be taken seriously as a country fit for admission to the developed world it should put an end to hypocritical practices such as allowing murderers to go free or unpunished whilst locking up stupid foriegners for fiddling with their passports.

Absolutely!

Very poignant and salient points, taxexile.... as per usual

spoke to his brother hubertus.

christoph had a sugar coma, then an infection in his lungs, blood pressure gave in and then all organs failed.

he was just afraid to lose his reservation and downpayment for a flat in hawaii. thats why he "adjusted" the visa.

poor fellow. could have paid 500 baht for an overstay-day ...

Edited by danone

that begs the question how long between falling sick and receiving any treatment?

does a "sugar coma" always lead to fatal complications so quickly ?

hi'

yes, as short time as this time, and sometime even faster, depends on the condition of the ill person, and the condotion he's living in ...

and as everyone knows, thai jails are palace :o

and the guardians very human ...

in the internotional law, it's called a murder due to negligence from the persons

he was living with, so guardians and surely the chief of all these morons are guilty, in any country, but not in thailand :D

cover up is better, the machine can go on crashing lifes as this one :D

there were a country used to be called land of smile ...

where has it gone?

francois

the reason why he stayed in jail for so many days was surely because of his attitude, that's all i'll comment. :o

wrong!

how can a man on the edge of death can give trouble?

explain this!

it's simply a murder by negligence, that's all I'll comment.

francois

Duplicate topics merged.

Next time, send me a PM SJ and I'll get to it quicker.

roger that...

I guess it's just that the mods we used to have here in TV responded quicker than the current ones, I guess, to any post put into the individual thread that needed merging... but

oh well... changing of the guard... new methods.... will do, JD...

Duplicate topics merged.

:D

Next time, send me a PM SJ and I'll get to it quicker.

roger that...

I guess it's just that the mods we used to have here in TV responded quicker than the current ones, I guess, to any post put into the individual thread that needed merging... but

oh well... changing of the guard... new methods.... will do, JD...

christoph had a sugar coma, then an infection in his lungs, blood pressure gave in and then all organs failed.

he was just afraid to lose his reservation and downpayment for a flat in hawaii. thats why he "adjusted" the visa.

My condolecenses to the family... :o

Tragic indeed...

Now... if you don't mind, and if you know... or can find out...

Do you know if Christoph was a diabetic? Did he take insulin?

If he was an insulin-dependent diabetic... his demise can certainly come quickly without it.

If it was withheld from him in prison, it's murder...

Also...

Did he not know the ramifications of a simple over-stay? ... pay a paltry sum and off he goes ... whisking away to Hawaii.

Do you believe he misinterpreted his actions (altering his visa date) as being that trivial an act? I presume he was a well-educated and a well-travelled man, and not many countries around the world would look upon that act lightly... although certainly only a very limited amount of them would make you pay for it with your life.

It's tragedy from all angles.

How can Thailand ensure that people.. any person.... entering or leaving, knows that paying an overstay fine is not worth making passport alterations.

From what I do gather, he was diabetic... and indeed, if his insulin was denied to him while he was in prison, death would be imminent.
I think we can exclude that possibility. In the Italian news report, for which a link is given in post #57 (thank you, giruz), his mother, speaking about her visit to the prison, is quoted as saying that he did not ask for medicines, that neither she nor any other family member were ever aware of his being a diabetic.

---------------

Maestro

I think we can exclude that possibility. In the Italian news report, for which a link is given in post #57 (thank you, giruz), his mother, speaking about her visit to the prison, is quoted as saying that he did not ask for medicines, that neither she nor any other family member were ever aware of his being a diabetic.

---------------

Maestro

ahh ok, thanks for that info, maestro... please keep us updated as necessary.. it's terrific that TV membership includes so many people who are bi-lingual in such a variety of languages.

The Thai media is remaining, by and large, mute on this topic.

other questions are...

How is it that the efforts of the Embassies involved failed to get this resolved quickly and quietly once he was placed in jail and they intervened?

What was so earth-shattering about his crime was he denied bail?

What will be the fallout from this event?

The Thai media is remaining, by and large, mute on this topic.
I could imagine that the Thai government is more than a little embarassed over it and is keeping the lid on it, i.e. enjoining the press not to report it at the moment.

A couple of days ago it was two Koreans being denied entry because they chatted loudly with each other at the Immigration counter at Phuket airport, and now this tragedy...

---------------

Maestro

I guess it's just that the mods we used to have here in TV responded quicker

JD... you really ARE jai dee... you don't even get respond upset when you're getting a punch in the shoulder... delivered back-handedly... :D

Boring afternoon SJ?

Trolling for moderators?

Back on topic, I have an unconfirmed report (and therefore must be considered as speculative only) that the subject "simply fell ill, and died rapidly of diabetes, a blood infection and pneumonia. Doctors and prison authorities did what was humanly possible to save him."

From an unconfirmed source, but posted here to defuse speculation.

I cannot guarantee the authenticity of this.

I guess it's just that the mods we used to have here in TV responded quicker

JD... you really ARE jai dee... you don't even get respond upset when you're getting a punch in the shoulder... delivered back-handedly... :D

Boring afternoon SJ?

Trolling for moderators?

yes... sorry.. it IS a slow afternoon, coincidentally..PTV is out

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...st&p=843935

Back on topic, I have an unconfirmed report (and therefore must be considered as speculative only) that the subject "simply fell ill, and died rapidly of diabetes, a blood infection and pneumonia. Doctors and prison authorities did what was humanly possible to save him."

From an unconfirmed source, but posted here to defuse speculation.

I cannot guarantee the authenticity of this.

all sounds highly suspect... stay tuned

Bottom of page 3 in today's (11/8) Bkk Post
Apparently not in the online edition. I would be grateful if somebody could scan and post it here.

--------------

Maestro

sorry... but is the NATION

-----------

European aristocrat dies in jail

European aristocrat Christoff von Hohenlohe died of unknown causes at the Bangkok Remand Prison earlier this week, officials and relatives confirmed yesterday.

"Hohenlohe died on Tuesday. We've sent all the details to the Swiss Embassy," said a prison official, who asked not to be named.

"He was here on charges of possessing false documents," the official said without elaborating.

Christoph's brother, Hubertus von Hohenlohe, said Christoph arrived in Thailand in mid-July on a transit visa but had overstayed by a day after missing his flight.

Hohenlohe, 49, from Liechtenstein, apparently altered the date on his visa, leading to his arrest on July 29 at Bangkok International Airport.

Hubertus said his brother had been denied bail twice. An autopsy was under way to determine the nature of Hohenlohe's death.

"It's strange," Hubertus said after arriving in Bangkok on Sunday to help get his brother out of custody.

In an interview with Italian newspaper Corriere Della Sera, he said their mother visited Christoph in jail on Saturday, and he was in a room without mattresses.

The Nation, DPA

----

the reason why he stayed in jail for so many days was surely because of his attitude, that's all i'll comment. :o

wrong!

how can a man on the edge of death can give trouble?

explain this!

it's simply a murder by negligence, that's all I'll comment.

francois

actually, its more likely that trouble got him to the edge of death. remember that without changing the date in his visa, which is a crime no matter how you turn it, he wouldn't have been arrested in the first place. and second, how come he wouldn't post bail and therefor be released? he surely had the funds to post even 1M baht bail if needed..

My condolecenses to the family... :D

Tragic indeed...

Now... if you don't mind, and if you know... or can find out...

Do you know if Christoph was a diabetic? Did he take insulin?

If he was an insulin-dependent diabetic... his demise can certainly come quickly without it.

If it was withheld from him in prison, it's murder...

Also...

Did he not know the ramifications of a simple over-stay? ... pay a paltry sum and off he goes ... whisking away to Hawaii.

Do you believe he misinterpreted his actions (altering his visa date) as being that trivial an act? I presume he was a well-educated and a well-travelled man, and not many countries around the world would look upon that act lightly... although certainly only a very limited amount of them would make you pay for it with your life.

It's tragedy from all angles.

How can Thailand ensure that people.. any person.... entering or leaving, knows that paying an overstay fine is not worth making passport alterations.

I really really can't understand why you will have yourself anything to do with Thailand. Why not just leave? Since you hate it so much. I have lost count the no. of times you tried your best to accuse thailand of something.

In this incident, you don't even know the bloody story. Yet you are trying to accuse the thais for whatever possibility. What has thailand done to you?? :o You have such low opinion of the country. What is in your mind?