Frenchman 'sold chopped Phuket motorbike over Facebook'

webfact

Frenchman 'sold chopped Phuket motorbike over Facebook'
Suthicha Sirirat

1418726829_1-org.jpg
Alfano (yellow shirt, with police and the parts of the stolen bike he allegedly dumped.

PHUKET: -- A Frenchman who allegedly stole a motorbike, disassembled it and then built a new bike from the parts and those of another bike – and sold the “new” bike over Facebook – was arrested at 9am this morning (December 16).

Police are now searching for a Thai woman seen on CCTV footage helping him to steal the motorbike.

Kathu police led by Lt Col Kunadet Na Nongkai this morning searched the house rented by Mathieu Alfano, 28, on Phrabaramee Soi 4 in Patong. They found enough motorbike parts to give them the evidence they needed to arrest him.

Police say Alfano stole the Honda PCX 150 parked by a tenant outside an apartment building in Nanai Rd where Alfano had lived until November 28.

Alfano then took the stolen bike apart and used the components and some from another PCX bike to create a new one.

Finally, he posted the chopped motorbike for sale on the Phuket Motorbike and Cars Facebook page. It was bought by a foreigner for B40,000.

He dumped the remaining parts of the bike in Hasip Pi Rd. That was his undoing. The parts were found by a local resident who reported his find to police.

Once police were sure that the rejected components were part of the bike reported stolen from Nanai Rd they checked CCTV footage and saw a foreign man and a Thai woman stealing the bike on December 3.

Police canvassed people living in the area, who identified the foreigner as Alfano.

Police also discovered that the day after leaving the Nanai apartment, Alfano and the woman returned and stole a microwave and an electric frying pan from inside the apartment they had just vacated, then four days later returned for the Honda PCX.

Police believe that this was not the first time Alfano had stolen a motorbike and believe he may have been working as part of a motorbike chopping gang.

He is being questioned to see whether this is the case.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/frenchman-sold-chopped-phuket-motorbike-over-facebook-50132.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-17

These CCTV cameras do indeed benefit.... coffee1.gif

Wonder why they didn't check the cctv when the bike was reported stolen but waited until the parts were found.

I've had 2 bikes stolen this year and even though they were on a main road which had CCTV & the Police Station, nothing has become of it clap2.gif thanks BIB, keep up the good work!

I have the same ? why the cops did not check the cctv tape. Could have caught this clown sooner and maybe got the stolen bike back. but once again failure to do your job and now some poor sucker is driving around with a stolen motorbike. How do you get plates for this bike.

Sometimes it really amazes me as to how much effort people are willing to go to for such a small amount of illegal money

It's really not that hard to earn 40,000 baht

Was about to type the same... smile.png

nice footnote about "knowing people"... I like it!

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

Wonder why they didn't check the cctv when the bike was reported stolen but waited until the parts were found.

I've had 2 bikes stolen this year and even though they were on a main road which had CCTV & the Police Station, nothing has become of it clap2.gif thanks BIB, keep up the good work!

I've had 3 scooters in the last 9 years in Pattaya and always fitted a front disc lock, a rear wheel chain lock and of course the steering lock and never had a problem. It's about 600 baht for both locks and money well spent!

If being French was not enough to secure his place as a bottom feeder, he just couldn't resist endorsing his place as pond scum with stupidity.

Here you go you anglo-saxon jealous burger eaters. Just go ahead but I tell you one thing we always take of your shorts whenever we play football (soccer) or rugby, because you guys do only drink beers.

• Like 2

Why can't the other police officer point a finger at the Frenchman? How can we know he did it if they don't point a finger at the guy? I can see the one police officer pointing at the bike parts and that is very good, then we understand that these where indeed the parts in question, but there must be a finger pointing at the alleged perpetrator too!

And where is the re-enactment? or is this it in the picture?

• Like 2

I've had 3 scooters in the last 9 years in Pattaya and always fitted a front disc lock, a rear wheel chain lock and of course the steering lock and never had a problem. It's about 600 baht for both locks and money well spent!

Some years ago we had a locked and chained bike stolen from within our walled area in Pattaya that was secured with a 6' high sliding gate (also secured with a padlock and chain). They simply cut the chain on the gate, lifted the whole big gate up to save the noise of sliding it open and then lifted out the bike and put it in a pick-up. Luckily enough I was to tired to get up when I heard a noise, as when the police got them, they turned out to be a Cambodian gang that shot anybody who tried to stop them. I think they killed three people for a few old bikes.

But I still love Pattaya

Sometimes it really amazes me as to how much effort people are willing to go to for such a small amount of illegal money

It's really not that hard to earn 40,000 baht

I dont condone what this nob did, but I am curious about your statement.

Exactly how would you earn 40k in Thailand.... Considering you had nothing to start with....

I think its easier said than done.... been there, done that and it was DAMN hard to earn a living in Thailand and making 40k was damn hard!

Edited by thhMan
  • Like 1

Yes but, for a machine you can pick up with two hands the only good a wheel lock is to make it little heavier....

What i dont understand is why they are focusing on reporting every farang wrongdoing? I had my motorbike stolen from a guesthouse and the police came and weren't interested in even looking at any cctv footage. I myself stayed up until the small hours of the morning going through the footage and finally found the thieves taking my motorbike. At the exact time also on another frame the security guard was napping. Of course the owner wouldn't take any responsibility. I eventually got my motorbike back parts missing and the thieves in handcuffs. i was told they were out of a major motorbike ring in BKK. I never got any compensation from anybody for my troubles. Number plate was stolen, also the bike had to be registered again and the whole episode cost me 6000 baht plus. Point i'm making is i never seen any mention on any forum or even local paper. Farangs cant pass wind here but it's headlines.

• Like 1