High Prices at Rimping Supermarkets

klaus80

Price is something, but it's not everything. My local Rimping (Iron Bridge-Nawarat) is close by, sells Thai, farang, Japanese, and Korean foods, magazines, etc. Most of the staff know me by name. They support some worthy local charities that I approve of and have an excellent website. To me, aside from a few Thai banks, it is one of the few world-class Thai businesses. So I shop there and also the nearby Sanpakoi Market.

• Like 2

I have shopped at Rimping for years, and tried all others Big C, Tesco, Yok, Tops, etc.

Rimping comes out far ahead of the others on quality, selection, cleanliness, ambiance and helpfulness of staff. The odd complaint I have had was handled with courtesy, and immediately rectified. I also like their charity efforts, and their commitment to the environment.

Rimping also wins on peace and quiet - there are no stupid announcements, the classical music in the background is very pleasant, and you can browse happily for an hour or so in any of the larger branches, particularly at Promenada. The Thom coffee corner at Nim City store is a great little oasis, with excellent coffee at reasonable prices, and I also like the store at Nawarat - there is a very helpful lady manager there who also speaks good English.

The only recurring negative is that some of the new staff are not very well trained, and a bit clueless, also that price tags are sometimes missing from shelves, which is very annoying.

You will always find price differences between supermarkets, often due to easing an overstock situation, using different suppliers, or one-off promotions.

At the end of the day however, I do not think there is much difference between the total price of a basket of groceries at any of them, so Rimping remains my first choice, and I wish them well.

Edited by jko
  • Like 1

The bottom line is no one is forced to shop there,I do some

shopping there,but also at Big C,Makro and Yoke,its a Friday

ritual to get all the shopping for the week,as i like shopping

its not a problem,just do a circular route,down Superhighway,

back up to Yoke and finish at RimPing,different shops offer

different products i want and at different prices,

For Potatoes and Onions i buy bulk at wholesale market.

Just pleased Rimping is here for stuff you cannot find

anywhere else in Chiang Mai,and i am prepared to pay

the prices asked if its something i really need.

Thats one of the reasons i like living here nearly all foods

are available,except really good seafood,but thats to be

accepted due to our location.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

The veggies at Ruam Chok are loaded with pesticides and chemicals! (How do you know that? Do you have a testing lab? And because a vegetable packaging says it is "organic" or whatnot this is enough for you to believe it? Oh right, no Thai company would ever fudge the truth in packaging or advertising.) We stopped buying there a year or so ago. Our health is worth a few Baht more. Ever notice how many Thais are buying their veggies at Rimping? (It looks to me like most of the shoppers there who are Thai are there only because they have a farang significant other. Your average Thai would not go to a shop where staples are clearly more expensive than their local markets. There are also other foreigners, such as Japanese and South Koreans, who shop there because it is more expensive because the feel that it must be "safer" and "cleaner" than what is sold in the wet markets. The very idea that nothing is refrigerated -- meats in particular -- gives some Asians the willies. )They have 5 grades of veggies - all color coded. We don't buy the most expensive but try and only buy the ones where any pesticide use was stopped 10 days before harvest (Again, how can you know this for a fact?) and then we soak them in sodium bicarbonate for 30 minutes and rinse. (Uh, this is over the top, to say the least. Do you also put on disposable rubber gloves when you use a public toilet here? Do you ever eat out in a resturant? Guaranteed they get their meats and vegetables from the very sources that frighten you.)

I agree. There are some great bargains at Rimping. (For example?)

I shop at Rimping because I like their range and enjoy the shopping experience here.

Also, I don't think it is any dearer tan other places I have shopped. If it were I'd still shop there because I like the place and a few baht one way or the other is not going to change that.

Some of us know the best cheap deals at Rimping, one I'll keep secret as it's already too well known and often out of stock. BigC stock it @ 50% extra cost.

One I'll share is ACE frozen French Fries @ 105bt ... up to 50Bt cheaper than elsewhere. That's a huge saving.

That's because ACE fries are inferior to the good quality Simplot fries they have replaced with ACE.

The veggies at Ruam Chok are loaded with pesticides and chemicals! (How do you know that? Do you have a testing lab? And because a vegetable packaging says it is "organic" or whatnot this is enough for you to believe it? Oh right, no Thai company would ever fudge the truth in packaging or advertising.) We stopped buying there a year or so ago. Our health is worth a few Baht more. Ever notice how many Thais are buying their veggies at Rimping? (It looks to me like most of the shoppers there who are Thai are there only because they have a farang significant other. Your average Thai would not go to a shop where staples are clearly more expensive than their local markets. There are also other foreigners, such as Japanese and South Koreans, who shop there because it is more expensive because the feel that it must be "safer" and "cleaner" than what is sold in the wet markets. The very idea that nothing is refrigerated -- meats in particular -- gives some Asians the willies. )They have 5 grades of veggies - all color coded. We don't buy the most expensive but try and only buy the ones where any pesticide use was stopped 10 days before harvest (Again, how can you know this for a fact?) and then we soak them in sodium bicarbonate for 30 minutes and rinse. (Uh, this is over the top, to say the least. Do you also put on disposable rubber gloves when you use a public toilet here? Do you ever eat out in a resturant? Guaranteed they get their meats and vegetables from the very sources that frighten you.)

I agree. There are some great bargains at Rimping. (For example?)

You seem to know a lot about Rimping's customers, when did you do your research and how many people did you interview? I don't know which Rimping ypu surveyed, but at Nawarat branch most Thais have no farang 'significant other', whatever that is. It it was interesting to learn that Japanese and South Koreans shop there because it is more expensive.

This topic is as good an example of how many farangs suffer with Culture Shock. A supermarket has become a symbol, to them, of all their hangups about Thailand. They're being over-charged, taken for a fool, targeted, taken advantage of, and the most significant word that was used, that perfectly highlights their feelings, they're being trapped!

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

I shop at Rimping because I like their range and enjoy the shopping experience here.

What is the "shopping experience" in Rimping? It's a supermarket, impersonal, clinical and small.

It would seem to me if you wanted a real experience in shopping for foodstuffs, the wet market wins hands down. Interacting with individual sellers at every purchase. A wide selection of fresh goods, much larger than any supermarket. A place to try your eight, or eight hundred words of Thai in a willing and friendly atmosphere. The hustle and bustle of vendors cooking on the spot, tending to their stalls. The ability to actually touch the food instead of viewing it through clear plastic bags.

As I've said, Rimping is good for some specialty items, and for that I shop there. But for normal staples, I go elsewhere.

By the way, about a week ago I saw a small package (a good fistful) of white button mushrooms, like you'd use in spaghetti, for about 340 baht. No joke. The same day I went to the wet market and saw the same thing for about 50 baht. Now that was a shopping experience at Rimping....

• Like 1

I like Rimping and shop there at least once a week, but I don't mind visiting other shops and stocking up on items if they are significantly cheaper.Thanks to bangmai and kaptainrob for sharing their bargain secrets. Anyone else?

You seem to know a lot about Rimping's customers, (Thank you) when did you do your research and how many people did you interview? (My studies are confidential but rest assured that the sample size was sufficient to allow me to obtain a confidence level of 95 percent, a standard deviation of 0.5 percent with a margin of error of +/- 5 percent.) I don't know which Rimping ypu surveyed, (Meechok Plaza) but at Nawarat branch most Thais have no farang 'significant other' (Really? When did you do your research and how many people did you interview?), whatever that is (You seriously don't know the meaning of "significant other"?). It it was interesting to learn that Japanese and South Koreans shop there because it is more expensive. (Not just because it is more expensive, but because they relate cost with reliability and safety. If something costs more, it must be worth more. Unpackaged produce lying loose without refrigeration at 5 baht a bunch compared to the same item packaged and perceived to have been washed and additive-free under refrigeration at 12 baht a bunch -- which is the "safer" option?)

I like Rimping and shop there at least once a week, but I don't mind visiting other shops and stocking up on items if they are significantly cheaper.Thanks to bangmai and kaptainrob for sharing their bargain secrets. Anyone else?

Welcome to Thaivisa, you're going to fit in here real easy. I look forward to more of your invaluable contributions to living in Chiang Mai. If you keep your eyes open you'll find there are restaurants that are more expensive than others and even some bars that charge more for a small Leo than you can get a big one for in a bar in the village.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

You seem to know a lot about Rimping's customers, (Thank you) when did you do your research and how many people did you interview? (My studies are confidential but rest assured that the sample size was sufficient to allow me to obtain a confidence level of 95 percent, a standard deviation of 0.5 percent with a margin of error of +/- 5 percent.) I don't know which Rimping ypu surveyed, (Meechok Plaza) but at Nawarat branch most Thais have no farang 'significant other' (Really? When did you do your research and how many people did you interview?), whatever that is (You seriously don't know the meaning of "significant other"?). It it was interesting to learn that Japanese and South Koreans shop there because it is more expensive. (Not just because it is more expensive, but because they relate cost with reliability and safety. If something costs more, it must be worth more. Unpackaged produce lying loose without refrigeration at 5 baht a bunch compared to the same item packaged and perceived to have been washed and additive-free under refrigeration at 12 baht a bunch -- which is the "safer" option?)

I was going to say that you should get out a bit more, but it would probably be best if you stayed in a bit more. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

"Farang trap" lol that is hilarious.

Rimping is a pleasure to shop at. The other day an employee came over and explained the different tastes of the different cantaloupe, he had excellent English, great service. Standard items are on a par with elsewhere but it is certainly a place to seek out bargains.

My only complaint is that they usually don't have egg salad for my sandwiches sad.png

And far less nose pickers and mouth breathers..

I admit.. I have a dislike of dawdlers and people who dont see they are in the way.. Trollys mid isle.. Standing there looking into space etc.. The ratio of them is far lower in rimping !!

• Like 1

As I've said, Rimping is good for some specialty items, and for that I shop there. But for normal staples, I go elsewhere.

I didn't realise Rimping even sold staples! I used to go to Office Depot at Panthip Plaza, but since they moved to Central Festival I now use a great little office supplies store near the railway station.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I didn't realise Rimping even sold staples! I used to go to Office Depot at Panthip Plaza, but since they moved to Central Festival I now use a great little office supplies store near the railway station.

Joe, you knew exactly what the man meant,but you have to try and demean him with your far superior intellect,

sometimes you must feel real proud of yourself.and by the way RimPing does sell staples,but only small ones

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

A Trader Joe's (discount gourmet....wine/cheese/organics) here would be the biggest thing since the satay stick. Same for Costco. As for the "organic" label in LOS....I would say the term is used loosely.

Edited by bangmai

What is the "shopping experience" in Rimping? It's a supermarket, impersonal, clinical and small.

You must go to a different branch than I do. None of those things apply to the one near the Duke's on the River. I enjoy shopping there and it is as big as most supermarkets in the West and the staff are very nice and try to be helpful.

Some of us know the best cheap deals at Rimping, one I'll keep secret as it's already too well known and often out of stock. BigC stock it @ 50% extra cost.

One I'll share is ACE frozen French Fries @ 105bt ... up to 50Bt cheaper than elsewhere. That's a huge saving.

That's because ACE fries are inferior to the good quality Simplot fries they have replaced with ACE.

Tried both and ACE fry up best in sunflower oil. Each to their own taste eh(?) but that was not the point anyway.

Rimping is our favourite supermarket ahead of Tops, Tesco and BigC although we do most shopping at Makro which is by definition, a wholesaler.

Went into Tesco [Hang Dong Rd] yesterday for a few specialty items [eg: Balsamic vinegar @ 99Bt] and couldn't get out fast enough ... holy sh1t what a cacophony of noise ... 3 different systems blaring: musak/advertising yak yak and christmas music. Store was near empty!

Joe, you knew exactly what the man meant,but you have to try and demean him with your far superior intellect,

sometimes you must feel real proud of yourself.and by the way RimPing does sell staples,but only small ones

regards Worgeordie

Yes I did know what he meant, but you found me out, well done. I wasn't trying to demean him, (he manages to do that quite well without my assistance) I was taking the piss. My intellect is not far superior to most people, it just seems that way to the average poster here. As they say, everything is relative.

I do occasionally feel proud about myself, but never about anything to do with the trivia of Thaivisa, which is, for most people, a mere bit of fun. It's the people that take it , and themselves, seriously that make it so entertaining.

What staples are you referring to? I thought we'd established that he wasn't talking about office supplies. Are you joining in on the piss-taking now? Welcome aboard!

3. I just came from Rimping. I only saw about 10 farangs in there and perhaps 50? Thais. I didn't notice how many farangs had Thai partners but it was insignificant based on the amount of Thai families shopping there.

Wow what branch was that?

I only ask because although I do not frequent Rimping often, when I do I

have never seen that many people.

Tried both and ACE fry up best in sunflower oil. Each to their own taste eh(?) but that was not the point anyway.

Tesco own French fries, 79bht a kilo.

Why buy anything else?

Happy to shop at Tesco, Rimping and Makro, but none of them has good fresh meat.

Meat comes from local butcher shops around town, very fresh, kill their own.

Fruit and veg from roadside sellers and neighbors, seasonal items only.

Nappies, milk powder, Nestle cornflakes, frozen fruit and Tea from Makro

Milk, chocolate and deli items from Rimping (they have nice sliced hams and cheeses)

French fries and milk from Tesco.

Baking supplies from YOK

Not many items from Tesco, they are usually more expensive than Rimping or Makro.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Rimping is our favourite supermarket ahead of Tops, Tesco and BigC although we do most shopping at Makro which is by definition, a wholesaler.

Went into Tesco [Hang Dong Rd] yesterday for a few specialty items [eg: Balsamic vinegar @ 99Bt] and couldn't get out fast enough ... holy sh1t what a cacophony of noise ... 3 different systems blaring: musak/advertising yak yak and christmas music. Store was near empty!

Because of the incessant multi-source noise I avoid all of the big stores at the weekend. Too many people and way too much noise. Rimping is a haven compared to those places. Have you also noticed how Rimping plays reasonable music at a reasonable volume? Some nice jazz occasionally too. I don't care how much cheaper Big C and the likes are, give me Rimping any day. Rimping Nawarat also happens to be the nearest store to my home, so it's convenient too.

Does anyone here remember Tantraphan, the original stores owned by the same family that owns Rimping? I remember them hiring an Aussie guy to help them get Rimping going and to find their niche after the new competition of Big C, Auchan and Makro all opened within the space of a year. I still see him around occasionally, but forget his name.

• Like 1

At least reading this thread, I now know who purchases all the frozen french fries!

Am I the only one to cut up potatoes when they want french fries ?

I hate frozen chips, or french fries as some people call them, but I can see why some people might use them for sheer convenience. What I don't understand is why restaurants use them. Proper hand cut chips are so superior to empty frozen chips and it's not as if labour is expensive here.

• Like 1