Thai editorial: Chinese barbarians at the boarding gate

webfact

I met a pair of young Chinese tourists a few years ago. They were really nice guys and our brief journey together was a lot of fun. The one thing that stood out for me was their disdain for their fellow countrymen-the one chap said that the country's biggest problem was that nobody ''believed'' in anything. At first I thought he was talking about religion etc. but he corrected me: He said that everyone's life was 'planned out' by the state: you are born, you go to school, you go to work, you die. His theory was that this indoctrination led to people being very selfish and so any opportunity to ''stray from the herd'' is fought for tooth and nail. He said that everyone in China was a selfish, arrogant prick....himself included. He was travelling to become a better person.

• Like 1

A nation of 'only children' raised by parents who had to be tough and totally selfish to survive their brutal regime - not surprising really.

"Let China sleep, or when she wakes nobody will get a deckchair with a sun umbrella"

I believe there is a "barbarian" lurking in most people. Most people control it by becoming educated, having a spiritual or philosophical belief or learning from the positive teachings of others.

There are others that lack the tools for "barbarian control" and that's when outside forces get involved.

"Easy Does It".

• Like 1

Have only met really nice Chinese people, so it's just some that spoil it for others.

We all know my fellow Brits, as well as Americans, Aussies, French and let's not forget the Russians incite hatred and annoyance over here for locals as well as foreigners.

Each country has it stereotypes and there's lots of them about who give us all a bad name, drunk, annoying, arrogant, boastful, violent, homophobic, mad, you name it.

The majority however, will be like the rest of us, trying to get along in life, being good to others, connecting well with others and being respectful.

Edited by Hawkman
  • Like 1

I have to commend them for at least trying to do something against it.

+1 ... some people closer to home could learn some lessons from this.

I agree it is nice for the Authorities to try and do something. But if it is anything like they did for the Beijing Olympics, getting the people to learn and queue, then it will not last long. The Chinese people went right back to their normal ways after the Olympic games, pushing in queues and really behaving without any manners and decorum.

I would make them do some training beforehand on queuing along with some of the middle eastern tourists. For the Thai Tourism Authority, I would start redefining what a quality tourist is.

I got caught in a mob of Chinese women at Nong Nooch Gardens once.

They had just opened the gate for the elephant show & WOW! I got smushed & elbowed like mad!

Exactly the point, lildragon; and one you could, interestingly, make in exactly the same way for the development of mass tourism from many European countries.

Hawkman, yes, it does depend who exactly you meet, and, also, where you meet them. I'm aware of negative comments about Russian tourists in Thailand and I've certainly heard of some very negative events, around, say, Pattya. However, the only Russians I've ever met here were on Koh Chang. Delightful little families of pleasant people, if anything a little unsure of themselves, and, certainly, very polite. I don't get the sense that's the general stereotype of Russians, never mind the particular stereotyping around Pattya or Phuket. Maybe it's as simple as those areas attractive different Russians from Koh Chang. Oh, the dangers of stereotyping!

well, if annually they are leaving their country for holidays.. at 98 million paxs and climbing.. a small event like these 4 ppl on the plane is very very small compared to the rest of the 99.99 % of well behaved Chinese paxs. We cannot deny they r the big spender currently, many countries r wooing them to visit and spending their money. Many big departmental stores in BKK or even Paris, London, SFO, NYC, u name them.. all employed Chinese speaking staff to take care of them. Yes, I agree they may hv their "cannot lose out" mentality but rest assured they had been briefed on how to behave outside their country, just that some r knuckle-heads who still thinks they r home in China. I had worked wt travel agents in China b4, all tours out are given a small booklet of polite behavior outside of China, how not to spit, or squat on the road side, to Q, to talk softly and not to shout, not to smoke anywhere they choose, etc..

It's a young and growing tour market, give them time, after this shameful adventure on the plane, rest assured that it'll be a learning lesson for the rest.

They will never learn.....latest...a passenger activated an emergency slide just so that he could go out first....and another chinese tried to open the emergency door during flight just to get some fresh air.....these are recent incidents....are they dumb or what...*&^%&(

living in Phuket and working in Bangkok I am on weekly flights in/out. Tuesday in, Friday out.

Friday evening flights to Phuket are packed with chinese tourists. Most with Air Asia.

If the work week not kills me, the nights out fail to do too, the chinese may succeed.

Boarding ! : coming close to boarding time ( no announcement made yet, most people just sit and wait ) hoards of chinese rush to the counter waving their boarding passes. Airline staff must explain ( hard to do if one only understand chinese ) to sit down and wait for announcement.

actual boarding: announcement is made and in case of air asia premium seat bookings are asked to board first. The Chinese, all of them, ( non of them got premium seat ) rush to counter try to board immediately. Pushed back by staff until announcement is made for "regular" bookings.

even though it is written on your boarding pass to show ID/passport once boarding, the majority of chinese guest search for their passports on the spot !

on board ! ( I am always in first and watch the show - every week ! ). Your seat number is clearly visible printed on your boarding pass. Having the boarding pass for almost 2 hours in their hands, checking the seat number is for chinese a task to do INSIDE the plane...AFTER they walked the entire length of the plane at least once !

All you can here during this process is noisy chinese having fun boarding and stressed airline staff calling for "Sit down, Sit down please - take your seats " !

totally disregarding other passengers and their efforts to get to the assigned seating. Chinese stand in the aisle for chats !

Once they finally seated they find out that their neighbor ( it is an 1.20hr. flight ) is not the guy they like to chat with and start to re-arrange seating. guy from row 7 to row 55, woman from 62 to 13...from left to right, always with hand luggage ( they got a lot ) moving too.

Forget to try to sleep for an hour or so. It's like they just see each other for the first time in 50 years - lots to share and laugh about. And if your friend sits 20 rows behind you - for chinese no problem to include him.

Remember ! I do this every week ! It is not a one time event.

And I've seen all. Spitting, trash on the floor, all kind of foods exchanging from row to row.

Once a mother let her Son ( must be about 10-12 years old ) piss in a empty water bottle while seated.

arriving destination, landing, touch down. The moment nose is down, plane still rolling you can hear the klick klick, seat belts open, getting up, open storage, taking hand luggage out.

stressed Airline Staff announcement " please keep seated, fasten seat belts"

The downside of low cost travel,low intelligence travellers

So you think being rich means your intelligent & poor equals low intelligence ? Get real. Just the sort of comment one expects dickheads to make.

• Like 2

I am always in Row 1 or 2. out very quick. The circus behind me is unbelievable.

I tried all available flights, different times, to avoid all of this but it seems to me that friday night is peek time for Chinese travelling to Phuket.

I learned to live with it. In first - out first, book premium. But feel sorry for any other tourists among them.

what still amazes me is their total disregard when addressing them. A friendly "excuse me sir..." and they look at you, if at all, like seen Godzilla on a plane and keep doing whatever they just do.

whoever thinks I exaggerate the events is welcome to join me - any friday night BKK-HKT !

Cheers

It's a cultural thing they mill around and hoard up on the door/gate. What's surprising is the Thai editors referring to the Chinese as "barbarians" in the headline. The Chinese should object fervently to this discriminatory characterization by Thais.

• Like 1

I can't help but smile, the rude, loud and generally ignorant Thai travellers give the Chinese a run for their money when it comes to being ambassadors for their country.

Pot calling the kettle black !

• Like 1

It might be useful to distinguish between nouveau riche mainland Chinese and ordinary Taiwanese and Hong Kong citizens.

I have seen appalling behavior from mainland Chinese tourists. I was apprehensive about the behavior I might see on my recent visit to Taiwan.

Without exception, I found the Taiwanese to be friendly and helpful. Strangers in the train station helped me carry my bags up the stairs. A passerby walked nearly a kilometer out of his way to help me find my guesthouse. People queued politely at ticket windows.

Not all Chinese are ruthless monsters of selfishness.

There is a new incident.

Catfight about crying baby.

Q1PN1Zx7.jpg

http://tuoitre.vn/tin/the-gioi/20141218/hanh-khach-trung-quoc-lai-choang-nhau-tren-may-bay/686799.html

For people who don't understand Vietnamese, here the Chinese version

http://www.ntdtv.com/xtr/gb/2014/12/17/a1162026.html

Edited by alocacoc

I can't help but smile, the rude, loud and generally ignorant Thai travellers give the Chinese a run for their money when it comes to being ambassadors for their country.

Pot calling the kettle black !

You took the words right out of my mouth. I remember a few of the above trying to barge me out of the way when boarding a train at Thonburi. What really got me was their vocal indignation and glares when I cheerfully shoved them back - what did they think was going to happen when attempting to push a man a head taller and 30 kilos heavier disdainfully out of the way?

That said, the vast majority of Thais and Chinese I have encountered on my peregrinations have been a pleasure to travel with.

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1

The Chinese teachers I have met here in Thailand are wonderful people -- considerate, helpful, intelligent and kind. The Chinese tourists are another matter. One stepped on my broken foot trying to shove past me in the 7/11 queue. When I yelled in pain he tried to make out that my exclamation was that I had insulted him. Then he looked down and saw my bandaged foot. Rather than back-pedaling in any way, he tried to escalate the situation. Luckily, there was an off-duty Thai policeman in the queue behind us. The policeman said in very good English that he had seen what happened. Then he said some very terse Chinese phrases, and the Chinese tourist literally dropped his purchase and went out the door.

I am sure I am not the only one that has had a brush with uncivilized Chinese tourists.

• Like 1

Why do the Chinese get so excited,i remember on a Cathy pacific flight from HK to Bangkok,they released their seatbelts and where jumping towards the overhead luggage compartments,Omg,this took place about 500 feet in the air before landing,"what's the rush"?

They need to be first and fear being overtaken by others. It is a direct result of the Chinese "win every encounter" philosophy.

You could never generalize people but it seems like many of the Chinese are very selfish and greedy people with a “me first” mentality. The Chinese school system must have missed to teach them manners, or is it acceptable to behave like that in China?

I have taught in China and I would like to offer this insight.

Because of the one child policy, we see today a situation that should have been envisaged but was not.

When the Chinese family have a child they will pray for a son to carry on the family name but these days they are not so disappointed if it is a daughter. Either way we see what has become the " Little Emperor" syndrome.

The child is spoiled rotten by the parents and being an only child has never learned how to share of the need to consider others.A parallel can be drawn in the west where young males are raised without a father figure and learn the viciousness of the mother without the counsel of the father. That's why in a brawl there is no longer a knock you down/ pick you up philosophy anymore. Now it is kill first.

If you go to a restaurant in China, many times the children from other tables will come and take food from your table without even thinking to ask.

I'm sorry, but I am at a total loss. Your post is both intelligent and well spoken. Are you sure you meant to post on ThaiVisa!!!!!! I better take off my clown suit, it's getting real in here!!!!!! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Why do the Chinese get so excited,i remember on a Cathy pacific flight from HK to Bangkok,they released their seatbelts and where jumping towards the overhead luggage compartments,Omg,this took place about 500 feet in the air before landing,"what's the rush"?

They need to be first and fear being overtaken by others. It is a direct result of the Chinese "win every encounter" philosophy.

Well they'll be the first in hospital or in the morgue when they fall over and get injured, possibly seriously upon landing.

The Chinese teachers I have met here in Thailand are wonderful people -- considerate, helpful, intelligent and kind. The Chinese tourists are another matter. One stepped on my broken foot trying to shove past me in the 7/11 queue. When I yelled in pain he tried to make out that my exclamation was that I had insulted him. Then he looked down and saw my bandaged foot. Rather than back-pedaling in any way, he tried to escalate the situation. Luckily, there was an off-duty Thai policeman in the queue behind us. The policeman said in very good English that he had seen what happened. Then he said some very terse Chinese phrases, and the Chinese tourist literally dropped his purchase and went out the door.

I am sure I am not the only one that has had a brush with uncivilized Chinese tourists.

You should have told him (the tourist who stepped on your foot) to <deleted> off. Don't act like a doormat, especially not towards other foreigners in Thailand.