Most people back tax collection from tutorial schools: Thai survey

webfact

Survey: Most people back tax collection from tutorial schools

BANGKOK, 18 Dec 2014 (NNT) – A recent opinion survey by National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) has found that most respondents agreed with the idea of taxing tutorial schools.

According to the poll, conducted among 1,251 people nationwide during December 15-16, as much as 68 percent of the respondents said tutorial schools should pay taxes and that the taxes should be spent on the country’s development, since they operated for commercial purposes, saying that some institutes demanded very high tuition fees. Nearly 26 percent, however, disagreed with the idea of taxing tutorial institutes for fear that tutorial schools would in turn force parents to bear more financial burden by raising tuition fees.

Almost 61 percent of the respondents were of the opinion that school or college teachers working for tutorial institutes should pay taxes, as they earned income. Thirty-three percent thought otherwise, saying that school or college teachers were already tax payers. Therefore, extra incomes earned from tutorial courses should not be taxed

When asked why children have to go to tutorial institutes, more than half of the respondents said children needed extra knowledge and special learning techniques, which mainstream schools were unable to offer. Others said tutorial courses could help children deal with entrance exams or catch up with other classmates.

As much as 85 percent of the respondents also agreed with the idea that all schools should offer tutorial classes so that children would not have to go to tutorial institutes, reasoning that teachers should know their students better than tutors. Those who disagreed, meanwhile, said teaching techniques at school were in fact to blame for students' failure.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-18 footer_n.gif

Some of these tutorial schools rake in billions of baht per year. They are in it for the money and are certainly not charities. Of course they should pay tax! I'm a teacher and have to pay tax. Every teacher I know pays tax. I love the "special techniques" quote. That involves finding shortcuts to find the correct answer in the shortest possible time. Such methods are devoid of any understanding on the part of the student and help them in no way understand the topic. Only school teachers can do that. Many students also treat tutorial schools as a social club. They do it because everyone else is doing it, and feel they are missing out on something.

Almost 61 percent of the respondents were of the opinion that school or college teachers working for tutorial institutes should pay taxes, as they earned income. Thirty-three percent thought otherwise, saying that school or college teachers were already tax payers.

Goof balls, do they really think the teachers aren't paying taxes? If they aren't then the school is employing them illegally.

If someone works more than one job in the US they pay taxes from all jobs and file their combined income tax at the end of the year. Of course TiT so there probably is some twisted logic to the collection of and reporting of taxes.

• Like 1

Some of these tutorial schools rake in billions of baht per year. They are in it for the money and are certainly not charities. Of course they should pay tax! I'm a teacher and have to pay tax. Every teacher I know pays tax. I love the "special techniques" quote. That involves finding shortcuts to find the correct answer in the shortest possible time. Such methods are devoid of any understanding on the part of the student and help them in no way understand the topic. Only school teachers can do that. Many students also treat tutorial schools as a social club. They do it because everyone else is doing it, and feel they are missing out on something.

In theory (theory mind you, not practice) the owners have to report personal income on their profits and thereby are taxed. Of course I don't trust that to happen here. Worked for an A-hole in the US that bought jewelry, cars, groceries, everything, and had the accountant wash it through as expenses of the company. Lots of privately held companies doing that for sure.

"... the idea of taxing tutorial institutes for fear that tutorial schools would in turn force parents to bear more financial burden by raising tuition fees."

Why do these tutorial schools exist?

It's because of the inadequacy of the Thai public educational system and it's not because of charity. Commercial enterprise fills a public need with a profit motive. Tax the private educational institutions and, if it cannot pass through taxes to the customers-the public, it will cease to do business. The result will place an even greater burden on the Thai educational system and exacerbate the already suffering quality of Thai education.