My Mostly Good Experience at Savanakhet Dec.11 to Dec.12, 2014 for Non-O Marriage Multi

Yeah, something could be done with the queue. I had a similar experience. I got there way too early and managed to squeeze through the gate in fifth position as the Thai uni student was whispering in Thai for everyone to walk in an orderly fashion to the counter.

At 2 meters from the window, an Asian teacher put her heel down, and moved from 6th to 5th, whilst simultaneously signaling for her 10 colleagues to pass up their paperwork and loiter next to her.

I'm usually above this, but I had to point out how she was qualified to teach morals and guidance to children when she couldn't wait 30 seconds for a single applicant to hand in his papers and she made some kind of excuse and graciously allowed me to take her position.

So your not alone, It happens everyday I'm sure.

The way I usually deal with these occasions is to organize all the paperwork beforehand then turn up without a care, 30 minutes before closing, it worked for the pickup.

• Like 1

I agree with the final sentence above. It seems that for some bizarre cultural reason Asians like to flock to a place at dawn and cause a crush, whereas if you do it Western style and show up in mid-morning the queue has dwindled to nothing. Sad that the old place has gone. Very laid back, with the visa office seemingly set up in the kitchen!

Interesting tip re accommodation. I used Savan Vegas because my wife knows someone who works there on the management side, but it's a pretty poor place. When I do my visa run next March I'll look for somewhere else for sure.

• Like 1

Yes, I am just back from Savanakhet, Immigration officers very friendly, and no hassle of any kind, got my non O marriage visa, and my thanks to Ubon Joe for his help in that.

I don't want to put a dampener on things, but be careful getting the bus from Mukdahan bus station to Savanakhet, the bus I was on did not wait for myself and two others at the Laos end after we stamped in, and we got on a minibus, was charged 100 Baht for only two or three Ks to the Thai Embassy, a complete rip off, and beware of the tuk tuks at Mudahan bus station, also rip off merchants.

• Like 1

Additional point about the bus from Mukdhahan, they will leave you at the Lao side without waiting for you to finish with Lao immigration procedures, however, you do not have to pay for another ticket if you are willing to wait nearly an hour for the next bus.

I have not bothered with Savan Vegas, I guess there were enough bad reviews to put me off and I think it is double the cost as the centrally located guest houses in Savanahkhet, some of which are OK for a night or two, Savanavong and Nong Soda are two places that I've used.

Good Luck to us all and our visa situations in 2015!

• Like 1

Hi all

I really liked the old site in Svkt for doing visas. I stayed in the Savan Ban Hao in town. Nice place and close to everything. I really like Svkt. it is laid back and the people are nice. I like the 7 restaurant on the main road. The owner is a nice guy and he helped me a lot. Chondan

• Like 1