No ban on alcohol for the New Year period

Lite Beer

Alcohol should be banned not only during buddhist days but forever as it is a very serious drug responsible for so many deaths and tragedies!

Indeed though it is one many people can 'handle' without abusing it, as well as legally enjoy.

I can't believe that you as a Frenchman (or of French descent) can not appreciate the finer points of savouring alcoholic drinks, it's a huge part of your culture.

The whole proposal was a joke from the start as is most things this junta puts up for headlines.

It's not the alcohol that kilos it's the bloody idiots who drink drive and the bloody stupid laws that are lax or are never enforced and even the police break them all time.

I know it's impossible but if there are no standards set then just expect these figures to continue every new year and songran.

No good bitching about it as no helmets no seat belts 3 to 5 people on a motorbike people crammed into backs of utes substandard vehicles and pissed up drivers are just the norm and Thailand throughout various governments have had plenty of time to at least try and fix it but chose not to.

Oh and a mere slap on the wrist for those who do get caught.

i like thailand because it is a free country compared to home where there are laws and rules on everything.

Alcohol should be banned not only during buddhist days but forever as it is a very serious drug responsible for so many deaths and tragedies!

Stupid comments should not only be banned here on TV, but in all forms of media.

All forms of taxation should be banned.

All fatal disease should be banned.

All politicians should be banned.

All flood, famine & disaster should be banned.

All bans should be banned.

Over to you, JPJ.... your turn, seeing you started this nonsense.

Just my opinion of course.

Cheers..... Mal.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Indeed though it is one many people can 'handle' without abusing it, as well as legally enjoy.

I can't believe that you as a Frenchman (or of French descent) can not appreciate the finer points of savouring alcoholic drinks, it's a huge part of your culture.

Come on, lets be fair.

It's not every country in the world where it is normal to have a glass of wine for breakfast.

I would dread to think what would happen if that was the norm where I came from.......................sad.png

tongue.png

The whole proposal was a joke from the start as is most things this junta puts up for headlines.

It's not the alcohol that kilos it's the bloody idiots who drink drive and the bloody stupid laws that are lax or are never enforced and even the police break them all time.

I know it's impossible but if there are no standards set then just expect these figures to continue every new year and songran.

No good bitching about it as no helmets no seat belts 3 to 5 people on a motorbike people crammed into backs of utes substandard vehicles and pissed up drivers are just the norm and Thailand throughout various governments have had plenty of time to at least try and fix it but chose not to.

Pity about your first biased sentence, could also be said the same of the last regime Yingluck and her troop.

The rest was sensible.

You got a bleeper which goes off at the mention of certain keywords ie Thaksin, Yingluck, junta? You respond as quick as greased weasel sh1t. Either that or you're hovering here 24/7.

Think you can check how many posts I have in the last 2 weeks---so you must be completely puddled along with the other clan members.

What is the problem with being outspoken about a non governing regime ?? corrupt and that has been shown--up to you with YOUR obsession on my views --get a life if this is all you can post about. Prove how many posts I have made in the last 2 weeks ?? and see if that doesn't make your post a porky pie. sorry for you.

It was a stupid idea to begin with. Maybe these guys should talk internally for a change before making idiotic announcements and scaring everyone.

I wonder how many people changed their plans and decided not to come to Thailand for New Years.

Stupidity reigns supreme.

T I T

Think of the biggest % cannot cancel as they booked in advance. Look at the days in the international resorts where Thailand imposes a ban---voting - etc., it is the dismay of spenders here that they find out on arrival. Sort the internal drink/violence problem but leave persons to enjoy their holidays especially in the resorts. Where is the normal new year high spirits --with out a drink ?? good move this.

all motor accidents are caused by motor vehicles, therefore ban all motor vehicles.

all obesity is caused by food, therefore ban food.

all teenage pregnancy is caused by sex, therefore ban sex.

Perhaps just a little more to the point: start enforcing the existing dui laws, and awarding meaningful sentences to violators (INCLUDING thais, not just "rich" foreigners!). People here love to just go on & on about punishing everyone for the sins of those that can't handle their booze, but don't give a thought to actual enforcement of existing law! The empty-headed recommend is always MORE laws, MORE prohibitions, LESS personal choice, even for those that've never done anything wrong and act responsibly.

Yes, it's a huge tragedy when someone gets killed by a drunk driver, or any careless driving for that matter (but we know that hardly EVER happens, don't we?). So punish the ACTUAL OFFENDERS, and make it HURT! And DON'T just talk about it - forget the silly "crackdowns" and grand announcements - just DO IT!!

Soooo simple. And sadly, so unlikely. 'Guess the police are too preoccupied with their tourist extortion schemes.

• Like 1

I haven't read the whole thread so maybe I'm repeating what has already been said. The letter to the Dep. Prime Minister stated the survey statistics based upon New Zealand banning alcohol on these holidays. The fact is that NZ has never banned the sale/consumption of alcohol except under local bye-laws in some hotspots.

Seems they are not above lying to get their way. Disgraceful!!

What a surprise!

The drinking ban days that make me chuckle are when there's a local election. No drinking so bar workers can go back to their province to vote? Please... All they do is lurk around their bars like any other day but without the bar even being open!

Is there no limit to the stupidity of Thai officialdom?

Well the US government tried to ban all alcohol from 1920 to 1933, and some US cities and states were legally "dry" for many years. In the 1980's the British loosened the licensing laws, but still only allowed pubs to serve from 11:00 to 23:00 hours, which was less restrictive than the Defense of the Realm Act set out during World War I, so attempts to restrict drinking are not something new or unique to Thailand.

Of course all of the above attempts to curtain drinking mainly resulted in the populations finding ways to get around the laws which is why those acts of stupidity by farang regimes eventually were withdrawn in defeat.

I'm actually quite surprised so few of the "No booze is a good thing as drunken 'faLang' give the rest of us a bad name" brigade have been here expressing their mealy mouthed anger/disappointment.

Usually when people complain about booze bans on election days and suchlike, they clutter up the board in their droves expressing their gleeful schadenfreude, while displaying their imagined sense of moral superiority over those of us who are still allowed to enjoy a gargle.

• Like 1

Pity about your first biased sentence, could also be said the same of the last regime Yingluck and her troop.

The rest was sensible.

You got a bleeper which goes off at the mention of certain keywords ie Thaksin, Yingluck, junta? You respond as quick as greased weasel sh1t. Either that or you're hovering here 24/7.

Oh, you mean like the way the anti-junta crowd comes out in force the minute a topic is posted regarding anything to do with the government ?

I see what you mean.

Most of them are breaking forum rules, ginjag is not.

And if ginjag stops commenting on the sins and past failures of Yingluck and co. does that mean everything will be all better ?

Yes, it seems the truth does hurt. whistling.gif

Can't wait to come to one of your parties, Oh wait you probobly don't have any ! Just stay at home so normal people that like a drink or two don't get bored with you.

Can't wait to come to one of your parties, Oh wait you probobly don't have any ! Just stay at home so normal people that like a drink or two don't get bored with you.

BYO tea and cookies !