Myanmar embassy seeking defence witnesses for Koh Tao accused

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And if the facts prove these boys didn't do it how will you be feeling ?

Would you be happy for the original copper to be put back in charge and start from where he left off. Or would you prefer the whole thing then gets forgotten about ?.

What would I feel? That they need to take a better look at the available evidence to see were they went wrong.

Now, what would you do if they are found guilty based on the evidence?

I didn't say that at all, if the only way you can understand things is by making things up to suit your prejudices you are as blind as can be.

So that wasn't you then ?

Since my post was deleted by moderation, I will have to teach you reading comprehension again.

I said in reply to what would I feel if the Burmese men are found not guilty:

"What would I feel? That they need to take a better look at the available evidence to see were they went wrong."

That means, pay attention, that the police and prosecution made an error in indicting the two Burmese men, it does not mean what you claim I said:

"As he says if they are proven to be not quilty he would ask the judge to go over the evidence again to find them guilty."

Can you quote were I said "if they are proven to be not quilty he would ask the judge to go over the evidence again to find them guilty"?

You can't because you are making it up and putting words in my mouth.

I didn't say that at all, if the only way you can understand things is by making things up to suit your prejudices you are as blind as can be.

Since my post was deleted by moderation, I will have to teach you reading comprehension again.

"What would I feel? That they need to take a better look at the available evidence to see were they went wrong."

That means, pay attention, that the police and prosecution made an error in indicting the two Burmese men, it does not mean what you claim I said:

"As he says if they are proven to be not quilty he would ask the judge to go over the evidence again to find them guilty."

Can you quote were I said "if they are proven to be not quilty he would ask the judge to go over the evidence again to find them guilty"?

Na. I am reading what you write.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What would I feel? That they need to take a better look at the available evidence to see were they went wrong.

Now, what would you do if they are found guilty based on the evidence?

AleG.

May i bring this rule to your attention so you know for the future.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Like 2

Discussion of moderation will get your post removed and likely a warning and posting suspension. Simply mentioning that a post is removed has a chance of not being removed.

The problem in this thread seems to be that people are being inflammatory to others. Please stay on topic. Be civil and don't make needless accusations toward others.

Thanks.

10846384_10205709046393824_4992774214714826275_n.jpg

Your discussion is as refreshing as it is honest and open. Thank you.

All the evidence in the world will not help the two lads if we do not have the money to pay the out-of-pocket costs to attend to Defense tasks now and for the next 7 months. Those duties include but are not limited to: Meetings with fact and science witnesses; conducting our own independent investigations/tests, etc.; and be fully prepared to attend testimony in Koh Samui as well as perhaps Myanmar and a EU nation were witnesses are safe and can/will give testimony in those local courts. Thailand will pay for the prosecution team to meet all these costs; we have only you, the donor base to help the Defense Team pay theirs.

Here is a partial listing of the costs that must be met:

Domestic Coach return flight BKK to Kho Samui - many trips

International coach return flight BKK to Yangon - several trips

International Coach flight BKK to EU city to be decided

Expat food & Bev - on trips

Local food & Bev - on trips

Local F & B (Court days)

Expat Accommodation

Local Accommodation

Communications (phone)

Venue Rental (if needed)

Car/Drive

Photocopy

Taxi Service Bangkok

Taxi Service Kho Samui

Witness Relocation

Local Travel (motorcycle)

Please continue your discussions; know as well that we are planning a multi-prong appeal to the world to help Thailand return to the rule of law and not the rule of a few powerful thugs on the Islands. This is best accomplished if we can have a fair, equally hard, open, and honest trial; not one pre-arranged by bribes or fear.

Send me an IM if you don't have the bank account or web URL where funds can be donated.

Don't know how to send an IM? some are now saying. Click on my ID above to the left where you see "SLESQ." Then on the next screen that opens, open it full and on the right hand side you will see a box with an envelope and words "send me a message." Then type in your message on the next screen and that is it.

Also please ask all your friends to send the kids mail, letters, photos of who you are, and even easy to read English books. They can read and speak basic English. Someone was to have sent them a Burmese/English dictionary that will help them to understand more. Books in Burmese too will help if you can find them. Do NOT send money through the mail. Not sure if foods will be delivered or not. Expect the guards to take most if it's any good. They must wear prison cloth and don't have/are not allowed shoes....

I found this very interesting. There may be witnesses who will present testimony in their own countries. What is vee eery interesting is there might maybe a witness to give testimony in Europe .

Wonder who that might be? Hope that special someone is worth a trip to Europe. This is certainly going to be a big international affair.

Testimony will only be accepted is if it is taken within the jurisdiction where an incident took place & sworn at the local court; indeed a tourist court opened weeks before the murders to allow just that.

This link explains:

http://www.samuitimes.com/tourist-court-grand-opening-koh-samui

HTH

Edited by evadgib

All the evidence in the world will not help the two lads if we do not have the money to pay the out-of-pocket costs to attend to Defense tasks now and for the next 7 months. Those duties include but are not limited to: Meetings with fact and science witnesses; conducting our own independent investigations/tests, etc.; and be fully prepared to attend testimony in Koh Samui as well as perhaps Myanmar and a EU nation were witnesses are safe and can/will give testimony in those local courts. Thailand will pay for the prosecution team to meet all these costs; we have only you, the donor base to help the Defense Team pay theirs.

Local F & B (Court days)

Expat Accommodation

Local Accommodation

Communications (phone)

Venue Rental (if needed)

Car/Drive

Photocopy

Taxi Service Bangkok

Taxi Service Kho Samui

Witness Relocation

Please continue your discussions; know as well that we are planning a multi-prong appeal to the world to help Thailand return to the rule of law and not the rule of a few powerful thugs on the Islands. This is best accomplished if we can have a fair, equally hard, open, and honest trial; not one pre-arranged by bribes or fear.

Send me an IM if you don't have the bank account or web URL where funds can be donated.

Don't know how to send an IM? some are now saying. Click on my ID above to the left where you see "SLESQ." Then on the next screen that opens, open it full and on the right hand side you will see a box with an envelope and words "send me a message." Then type in your message on the next screen and that is it.

Also please ask all your friends to send the kids mail, letters, photos of who you are, and even easy to read English books. They can read and speak basic English. Someone was to have sent them a Burmese/English dictionary that will help them to understand more. Books in Burmese too will help if you can find them. Do NOT send money through the mail. Not sure if foods will be delivered or not. Expect the guards to take most if it's any good. They must wear prison cloth and don't have/are not allowed shoes....

I found this very interesting. There may be witnesses who will present testimony in their own countries. What is vee eery interesting is there might maybe a witness to give testimony in Europe .

Wonder who that might be? Hope that special someone is worth a trip to Europe. This is certainly going to be a big international affair.

Testimony will only be accepted is if it is taken within the jurisdiction where an incident took place & sworn at the local court; indeed a tourist court opened weeks before the murders to allow just that.

This link explains:

http://www.samuitimes.com/tourist-court-grand-opening-koh-samui

HTH

The post said the Thai government is willing to pay all expenses for the prosecution to travel.

The Samui news did not say anything about must attend court near the site of injury. It's up to the judge to have power to do what he/she feels is necessary to find justice

post-147580-0-86223300-1420206156_thumb.

This is an important point: Criminal Justice Cross Border Mutual Legal Assistance can be available. The matter is not settled in Thailand but it appears likely
Thai courts will allow testimony to be taken out of Thailand and in a court house of a foreign nation where the testimony will be taken.

1. The Criminal Justice (International Co-operation) Act 1990 Order 1996 No. 2878

CRIMINAL LAW, ENGLAND AND WALES

The Criminal Justice (International Co-operation) Act 1990 (Amendment) Order 1996

Made

19th November 1996

Laid before Parliament

29th November 1996

Coming into force

1st January 1997

At the Court at Buckingham Palace, the 19th day of November 1996

Schedule 1 to the principal Order (which defines the institution of proceedings for the purposes of article 2(5) of that Order) shall be amended as follows—

(e)after the entry relating to Switzerland, there shall be inserted the following— "Thailand.... when a court... issues a restraint order."

2. Mutual Legal Assistance („MLA‟) is the formal way in which countries request and provide assistance in obtaining evidence located in one country to assist in criminal investigations or proceedings in another country. Due to the increasingly global nature of crime MLA is critical to criminal proceedings and ensuring justice for victims of crime. The UK is committed to assisting investigative, prosecuting and judicial authorities in combating international crime and is able to provide a wide range of MLA. https://www.gov.uk/.../MLA_Guidelines_2014.pdf

3. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626919-uproar-over-thailands-constitution-court-ruling-on-evidence-from-overseas/

Posted 2013-03-19 07:44:30

Uproar over ruling on evidence from overseas
Opas Boonlom,
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Constitution Court's decision to reject witness examinations in foreign countries has caused an uproar in the justice system and courts across the country that have adopted the practice for many decades.

The senior court recently ruled 5-4 that the provision in Foreign Cooperation in Criminology 1992, which stipulates that evidence derived from investigations in foreign countries was acceptable, clashed with the Constitution.

The court said the provision violated legal principles as it limited the rights of defendants in criminal cases since they had no chance to examine or contest the evidence.

They also lacked legal assistance from lawyers on evidence and testimonies derived from abroad. As a result, defendants were deprived of chances to fight the case in a fair manner. Besides, one of legal principles was that criminal investigation should be carried out in the presence of the defendants.

The provision therefore transgresses Articles 3 and 29, the court said. Criminal Court chief justice Thawee Prachuablap said Thai courts had allowed witness examination conducted abroad, even before the act went into effect by taking recourse in Article 34 of the Civil Procedures. "A number of cases and many courts across the country will be adversely affected by the Constitution Court ruling because these courts must follow the top court's decision. Most witness examinations abroad are investigations of prime witnesses. Since the court has arrived with this decision, all witness examinations done in foreign countries are no longer valid, affecting all trials involving foreign witness examination," he said.

Thawee said he would call a meeting of criminal court judges and court management officials to decide on guidelines and practices as a result of the top court's decision. However he did not rule out the possibility that the Constitution Court would review its decision if a complaint was filed seeking a revision. He said that because the ruling was a 5-4 decision, it was likely the judges may change to the decision, especially if there was a change in the court panel.

The court issued the ruling after Pol Lt-General Somkid Bunthanom, a defendant in the murder of Mohammad al-Ruwaili filed a complaint with the court that the witness examination out by prosecutors on Pol Lt General Suwichai Kaewpaluk in the UAE was unconstitutional and the prosecutors could not use his testimony as evidence in court. Al-Ruwaili was a Saudi businessman close to the Saudi royal family abducted and killed after travelling to Bangkok to investigate the Blue Diamond theft.

-- The Nation 2013-03-19

4. http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=authorities.details&aid=485 Bilateral Conventions on judicial co-operation:Republic of Korea [2000] ATS 5 and Thailand[1998] ATS 18.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize bold font reset to normal. Please stop using oversize font when posting.

If this cooperation comes to pass it will render the tourist courts that were opened amid much pomp & ceremony across the Kingdom in the last 2 years obsolete. I note too that a recent/now concluded case in Krabi involving the daughter of a dutch musician stalled for a while because the alleged victim was abroad & not able to be cross examined.

The only consistency seems to be that the lack of it.

Edited by evadgib

attachicon.gif10846384_10205709046393824_4992774214714826275_n.jpg

This is an important point: Criminal Justice Cross Border Mutual Legal Assistance can be available. The matter is not settled in Thailand but it appears likely

Thai courts will allow testimony to be taken out of Thailand and in a court house of a foreign nation where the testimony will be taken.

1. The Criminal Justice (International Co-operation) Act 1990 Order 1996 No. 2878

CRIMINAL LAW, ENGLAND AND WALES

The Criminal Justice (International Co-operation) Act 1990 (Amendment) Order 1996

Made

19th November 1996

Laid before Parliament

29th November 1996

Coming into force

1st January 1997

At the Court at Buckingham Palace, the 19th day of November 1996

Schedule 1 to the principal Order (which defines the institution of proceedings for the purposes of article 2(5) of that Order) shall be amended as follows—

(e)after the entry relating to Switzerland, there shall be inserted the following— "Thailand.... when a court... issues a restraint order."

2. Mutual Legal Assistance („MLA‟) is the formal way in which countries request and provide assistance in obtaining evidence located in one country to assist in criminal investigations or proceedings in another country. Due to the increasingly global nature of crime MLA is critical to criminal proceedings and ensuring justice for victims of crime. The UK is committed to assisting investigative, prosecuting and judicial authorities in combating international crime and is able to provide a wide range of MLA. https://www.gov.uk/.../MLA_Guidelines_2014.pdf

3. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626919-uproar-over-thailands-constitution-court-ruling-on-evidence-from-overseas/

Posted 2013-03-19 07:44:30

Uproar over ruling on evidence from overseas

Opas Boonlom,

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Constitution Court's decision to reject witness examinations in foreign countries has caused an uproar in the justice system and courts across the country that have adopted the practice for many decades.

The senior court recently ruled 5-4 that the provision in Foreign Cooperation in Criminology 1992, which stipulates that evidence derived from investigations in foreign countries was acceptable, clashed with the Constitution.

The court said the provision violated legal principles as it limited the rights of defendants in criminal cases since they had no chance to examine or contest the evidence.

They also lacked legal assistance from lawyers on evidence and testimonies derived from abroad. As a result, defendants were deprived of chances to fight the case in a fair manner. Besides, one of legal principles was that criminal investigation should be carried out in the presence of the defendants.

The provision therefore transgresses Articles 3 and 29, the court said. Criminal Court chief justice Thawee Prachuablap said Thai courts had allowed witness examination conducted abroad, even before the act went into effect by taking recourse in Article 34 of the Civil Procedures. "A number of cases and many courts across the country will be adversely affected by the Constitution Court ruling because these courts must follow the top court's decision. Most witness examinations abroad are investigations of prime witnesses. Since the court has arrived with this decision, all witness examinations done in foreign countries are no longer valid, affecting all trials involving foreign witness examination," he said.

Thawee said he would call a meeting of criminal court judges and court management officials to decide on guidelines and practices as a result of the top court's decision. However he did not rule out the possibility that the Constitution Court would review its decision if a complaint was filed seeking a revision. He said that because the ruling was a 5-4 decision, it was likely the judges may change to the decision, especially if there was a change in the court panel.

The court issued the ruling after Pol Lt-General Somkid Bunthanom, a defendant in the murder of Mohammad al-Ruwaili filed a complaint with the court that the witness examination out by prosecutors on Pol Lt General Suwichai Kaewpaluk in the UAE was unconstitutional and the prosecutors could not use his testimony as evidence in court. Al-Ruwaili was a Saudi businessman close to the Saudi royal family abducted and killed after travelling to Bangkok to investigate the Blue Diamond theft.

-- The Nation 2013-03-19

4. http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=authorities.details&aid=485 Bilateral Conventions on judicial co-operation:Republic of Korea [2000] ATS 5 and Thailand[1998] ATS 18.

While I hope that, in this case, they allow testimony from overseas, I do see the point that it becomes very difficult to challenge such testimony and it would be open to abuse.

The Problem is the Thai police are adamant they have the correct people. The defence are not and contest it. However for the UK police to offer assistance by interviewing witnesses here. Say for example Sean McAnna that would have to come from the Prosecution side wouldn't it. Not from the B2 Defence.

The B2 defence should have access to Autopsy/Toxicology reports from the UK if requested as they are classed as interested parties

I imagine.

The Inquest is not taking place on the 6th Jan however a review is scheduled and a decision will be made on a future date for the inquest. That's my personal understanding. I also understand that all departments that have to report to the Coroner will have to update her on their progress on the 6th Jan so that she can have a clearer picture where they are upto.

Personally I, like all of you on here, have nothing to prove or disprove who committed the heinous crime committed on Koh Tao in the early hours of the 15th Sept 2014. What I do have is first hand experiences of dealing with Thai authority's. I have been shaken down for money on numerous occasions. I also had a serious incident where someone tried to murder me. The subsequent charades that followed have left me in no doubt whatsoever that without adequate representation you could very well end up in jail yourself.

Hannah Witheridge was a speech therapist. She helped people who had problems communicating. Now she doesn't have a voice to speak for herself, she wouldn't want the wrong people to go to their deaths if they where innocent. Her family said “As a family we hope that the right people are found and brought to justice.” well I repeat, that so if anyone is reading this who knows anything. However small it may be then perhaps contact the MPS and let them know.

As long as the right people are proven to be guilty then Thai or Burmese I would be happy to pull the trigger if they need a volunteer.

In the mean time Chris Copper off Planet Scuba or the reporter who wrote how Sean McAnna was in protective custody as he witnessed the confrontation could contact Andy Hall in the first instance I am sure he would like to hear from you. All and any information is appreciated.

Lets not Forget the other victim David Miller an equally sad loss of life.

@loonodingle

I may be wrong, but the last statement from the Met about their investigation seemed to suggest that they would not provide information to either the prosecution or defense while there was the possibility of a death sentence.

I also urge anyone with verifiable information that can help to resolve the case to contact someone who can use it, whether Andy Hall, journalists or defense lawyers.

@loonodingle

I may be wrong, but the last statement from the Met about their investigation seemed to suggest that they would not provide information to either the prosecution or defense while there was the possibility of a death sentence.

I also urge anyone with verifiable information that can help to resolve the case to contact someone who can use it, whether Andy Hall, journalists or defense lawyers.

BritTim,

I think you have it correct there. The MPS will not provide anything that could be used in the trial. Perhaps they will Adjourn until its over (the Inquest) I had heard that so I called them today and now its just a review and setting a new date. It may turn out that the coroner stipulates that's It will only resume until after the Trial. Unless they get assurances of no death penalty. Which they done in the extradition of

Lee Aldhouse.

Local F & B (Court days)

Expat Accommodation

Local Accommodation

Communications (phone)

Venue Rental (if needed)

Car/Drive

Photocopy

Taxi Service Bangkok

Taxi Service Kho Samui

Witness Relocation

It says if it were the case that testimony needed to be taken overseas. The prosecution team would be funded by the Thai government. Whereas the defense team would need to find their own funds. The post is asking for help to find those funds.

If the prosecutors were in the foreign court,they can do all the cross examination they want. Transcripts can be translated and presented to the judge by both parties. The judge can then make his decision of what he will accept.

When is David's inquest ?

I think, at this point, it is adjourned with no date yet set for a resumption. There is an email address in the document http://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDocuments/Government%20and%20administration/ID%20Sudden%20Death%20Guide%2007-2012%20BJL.pdf if you want to fire off a quick message asking for confirmation.

Thank you. Did that. Will wait for reply. Very interesting information. ?

@loonodingle The Problem is the Thai police are adamant they have the correct people.

Let me add my 2 cents worth here:

The RTP are adamant in the manner that they "only have some bodies" to hand over to the prosecutor/prosecution.

Agreed but this Is the problem. They are even fighting their selves. It's a messy business.

When is David inquest

Why don't you read the replies to the last time you asked that question ?

Or do you need an answer right now to you can add it to your list ?

Hannah last seen 30.12

David last seen 34.67

Davis seen taking a pee 13.78

Mon seen 13.67

Nom seen 56.89

hoe seen 45.90

Pancake seller seen 88.99

Fish seen swimming past beach 99.88.

Carry on the good work Mister Bean.

When is David inquest

Hannah last seen 30.12

David last seen 34.67

Mon seen 13.67

Nom seen 56.89

hoe seen 45.90

Oh god I think I just wet myself laughing ??

But the answer I am looking for sherlock is

David inquest 8th Jan 2015.

At what time did you start to wet yourself ? At what time did you finish wetting yourself ?.

This is important stuff.

• Like 1

When is David inquest

Hannah last seen 30.12

David last seen 34.67

Mon seen 13.67

Nom seen 56.89

hoe seen 45.90

At what time did you start to wet yourself ? At what time did you finish wetting yourself ?.

This is important stuff.

Grow up do. Let's all try and work together for the greater good, eh?

• Like 1

When is David inquest

Hannah last seen 30.12

David last seen 34.67

Mon seen 13.67

Nom seen 56.89

hoe seen 45.90

This is important stuff.

Gotcha. Was a bit funny though eh? Needed a wee break, was doing my head in. Understood back to the drawing board.

post-147580-0-46601200-1420416093_thumb.

Gentlemen, I hope and trust you all are. A wee bit of fun....? The lives of not just these two innocents are at stake, but this is also a contest between the rule of law in the Kingdom of Thailand vs.the rule of thugs on a few tiny islands that besmirch the reputation of all the good people of Thailand, and we visitors who choose to live here and invest our fortunes for a better way of life.

We are nearly out of funds and our work has not even started. The Defense team will meet this week to map our strategy and tactics, plan our budget, and set our path for the next 7 months leading to the start of taking testimony.

<snip>

/Mod edit: 22) Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members, any charities must contact support for approval before joining. before joining to be approved. http://www.thaivisa.com/contact

<snip>

Here are some videos that I hope you all will republish to all your contacts the world over. I have not rechecked the links but think I've removed blogs that the TVF police don't like, and hope the links work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-iWtN4KpI&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

http://mikeestravels.com/…/the-dark-side-of-thailands-isla…/
https://www.facebook.com/CSILA90210

Thank you sincerely on behalf of Win and Zaw

Edited by Jai Dee
reference to soliciting TV members for funds deleted

When is David inquest

Hannah last seen 30.12

David last seen 34.67

Mon seen 13.67

Nom seen 56.89

hoe seen 45.90

This is important stuff.

Gotcha. Was a bit funny though eh? Needed a wee break, was doing my head in. Understood back to the drawing board.

Message was for berybert not you GC.

attachicon.gif10846384_10205709046393824_4992774214714826275_n.jpg

Gentlemen, I hope and trust you all are. A wee bit of fun....? The lives of not just these two innocents are at stake, but this is also a contest between the rule of law in the Kingdom of Thailand vs.the rule of thugs on a few tiny islands that besmirch the reputation of all the good people of Thailand, and we visitors who choose to live here and invest our fortunes for a better way of life.

We are nearly out of funds and our work has not even started. The Defense team will meet this week to map our strategy and tactics, plan our budget, and set our path for the next 7 months leading to the start of taking testimony.

<snip>

Here are some videos that I hope you all will republish to all your contacts the world over. I have not rechecked the links but think I've removed blogs that the TVF police don't like, and hope the links work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-iWtN4KpI&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

http://mikeestravels.com/…/the-dark-side-of-thailands-isla…/

https://www.facebook.com/CSILA90210

Thank you sincerely on behalf of Win and Zaw

Yes, a long and rocky road ahead so it seems. The work you are doing is admirable and I imagine you have the support of most people here, thankfully (ladies as well as gentlemen). It's unfortunate that you choose to highlight Greenchair's flippant remark because this person appears to have worked quite tirelessly themselves in trying to piece together fact from fiction in an attempt to do their bit for justice for Hannah and David for quite some time now. There has been very little fun in any of this for any of us, rest assured.

• Like 1

From a post linked above:

"These families, in typical Thai fashion, tend to be incredibly jealous of each other, and highly competitive for every tourist dollar. There are many stories on the islands of what happens when one family perceives another family to have wronged them in one way or another and it generally involves petty rivalries over cash."

So when will one of the other 4 of the 5 controlling families decide to drop the hammer on the one involved?

• Like 1

JLCrab post #

From a post linked above:

"These families, in typical Thai fashion, tend to be incredibly jealous of each other, and highly competitive for every tourist dollar. There are many stories on the islands of what happens when one family perceives another family to have wronged them in one way or another and it generally involves petty rivalries over cash."

So when will one of the other 4 of the 5 controlling families decide to drop the hammer on the one involved?

It will happen have no fear.

It will be a more subtle action than the events leading up to it and it will be restricted to a very small coterie of Thais not foreigners,all you'll and we will see is a sign stating, ''Under New Management.''

quote-1-whom-the-gods-would-destroy-they

Edited by siampolee