10,000 Baht Note

akmacca

Snarkiness aside, it's probably a 10,000 kip note from Laos. Worth about $1.25 in Laos, and considering changing Lao money outside of Laos is difficult, it wouldn't surprise me if the former owner thought of it as a bookmark. If the writing is curvier than your typical Thai and the note is blue, it's Lao.

• Like 1

I think it is just some sort of promotional thing, it is certainly not legal tender..

Just think to yourself how you come across it? do you really think it is genuine?

Hard to say, really. I quickly did some googling after reading the OP and apparently there was an issue of a 500,000 baht note - which can legally be owned by individuals - that was printed for the 50th wedding anniversary of the King and Queen. It was issued in May of 2000. So a 10,000 baht note.....who knows?

If I were OP, I'd be heading to a bank on Monday morning.

Hard to say ? The op wants an answer. You don't even come close, why bother ?

Yes why did you bother you gave nothing.coffee1.gif

The idea of going to a bank is a sound idea. In fact I would check several banks. If it was issued as a collectors item not every banker will know about it.

Personally I believe it was nothing more than a bookmark. But I could be wrong and it would defiantly be worth checking out next time I was in the bank.

Lao Kip alright

lao kip notes images 10,000

Err. ..sorry, the poster had not posted an image of his note, or am I mistaken?

Someone else has posted an image of a Laos Kip note but as far as I can see we still don't have a photo of the fabled 10K baht note.

Or am I tripping?

I'd love to see a 10,000 baht note in circulation, would save a lot of space in our walletsw00t.gif

The Bank of Thailand has resisted this because it is regarded as being an aid to money laundering and drug deals.

A similar problem has been associated with the 500 Euro note:

"There's been a significant body of evidence over time that has recognised that high denomination notes are an important means of reducing the bulk of cash," says Mr Cruxton. "The 500 euro note is really the note of choice among criminals.

"We estimate that more than 90% of the 500 euro notes that are provided in the UK have actually gone into the hands of serious organised criminals."

Economists have long charted how large denomination notes facilitate money laundering

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8678979.stm

the states only goes as high as a $100 bill. Canada did at one time have $1,000 bills. But I had to go to the bank and order it. That was 30 years ago don't know if they still do that.

I googled largest bank note, this Thai one came up. Also there was an £1,000000 and £10,000000 issued plus some big USA$ notes.

This banknote was a comemmorative banknote in Thailand and possibly the most valuable banknote that is legal to be owned by an individual as opposed to a bank of government. The largest regular issue of banknote in Thailand is the 1,000 baht note and so this is a tremendous jump from what is typically used as legal tender in Thailand. This note was issued to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Royal Wedding of King Bhumibol Adulyadej and Queen Sirikit, and was issued both in 50 baht and 500,000 baht.

Yes you can spend it---but first if I was you I would exchange it....... probably best to brake it down into 3-- 3,000baht notes & the rest into smaller money, say 3--200 baht notes a 150 note & several 35 baht ones for tips, also the 7 baht coins for small change would be handy...............coffee1.gif

Got a few ,3 I think ,60 baht notes

Lao Kip alright

lao kip notes images 10,000

Err. ..sorry, the poster had not posted an image of his note, or am I mistaken?

Someone else has posted an image of a Laos Kip note but as far as I can see we still don't have a photo of the fabled 10K baht note.

Or am I tripping?

My mistake

• Like 1

There are many commemorative coins and notes out there. I did get a few 10baht coins with something about scout and jamboree on them. I sold most of them for 150Baht/coin. I should have one left somewhere... If I haven't used it to pay something.

A friend has just arrived from BBK and he tells me there is a New style B500 note in use down there !

john

Wow john thanks for that info---great help to OP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And typical TV replies----- one says it could be worth a fortune someone else says its a useless fake----- great entertainment if you don' t need a sensible reply.Just go to the Bank mate

Edited by biplanebluey
  • Like 2

I'd love to see a 10,000 baht note in circulation, would save a lot of space in our walletsw00t.gif

I totally agree. A 5,000 baht note would also be very helpful. I have never seen one and don't know whether they exist or not. coffee1.gif

Yea--- you could spend a couple of thousand and put the 8'000 change in its place---DUH

Most people could never give you change for it, think about it, 7/11 money goes in the safe , same for gas, in the markets ? Forget it.