Bus to Bangkok - can you book in advance?

AbeSurd

Can you book a seat in advance on the regular buses to Bangkok which depart from the bus station on Pattaya North Road? I think they leave about once an hour and go to Ekamai bus station.

I'm talking about the buses where a one-way ticket costs about 140 baht. I believe the name of the bus company is Roong Reung.

I usually use Bell Travel, which can be booked in advance. But on this occasion I don't want to go by Bell Travel.

So can I book in advance on the regular, cheaper service?

Thanks.

Don't think so. The departures all day long are variable, some leaving every 10 minutes in the morning. They have buses and drivers available at a moment's notice to look after demand. You will never have a problem catching a bus to Bangkok. Could be 5 minutes or 20 minutes after you buy the ticket. I've done the route almost 70 times this year alone.

Don't think so. The departures all day long are variable, some leaving every 10 minutes in the morning. They have buses and drivers available at a moment's notice to look after demand. You will never have a problem catching a bus to Bangkok. Could be 5 minutes or 20 minutes after you buy the ticket. I've done the route almost 70 times this year alone.

The only problem might be this time time of year (especially approaching NY) buses get very busy, so i would leave extra time and be prepared to get the next bus...or the one after that...etc! I would think that might make the 20 minutes KB mentions more like 40 or 50. Still a very good service IMO.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Buses to Ekamai & Mochit run daily and the first one leaves Pattaya to Ekamai at 04.30 I catch this bus quite often ( Don't be nosey viewers..... ) and its a very busy bus! for this bus you need to be there 1 hour before departure! You cannot book these buses in advance! then the buses seem to run every 30 minutes. Ekamai to Pattaya Nua - last one leaves about 23.00 ( worth getting there early at Ekamai to allow time to be " searched by police " who hover about in the darkness........)

An excellent service but certainly not as cheap as it should be in Thailand! or if you are not in a rush and you are " as cool as a cucumber " ( just like myself viewers...) then take the train from Pattaya Railway station which departs at 14.35 daily ( Monday to Friday ) arriving in Bangkok's seriously cool Hua Lampong station at 18.20 at a cost of just 31 baht ( Tickets can be purchased 30 minutes before departure )

Alan Whicker wai2.gif

• Like 1

You can buy a ticket at their office Jomtien Terminal maximum 3 days in advance of the planned trip.

(Upon purchase of the ticket you may inquire there if its possible to board the bus in Pattaya North station, or if you need to board in Jomtien.)

The ticket does not contain a seat number, opposed to the journey BKK-Pattaya where they will assign a seat for you.

http://www.airportpattayabus.com/pattaya-suvarnabhumi-airport-bus-schedule-timetable

Cost is 134 Baht one way.

I forgot to mention: This is the bus from Pattaya(Jomtien) to Bangkok AIRPORT (BKK) ....not to downtown Bangkok.

Edited by 2046

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I happened to be passing the Pattaya North Rd bus station yesterday and called in. The woman at the Ekamai window confirmed there's no booking in advance. She said buses leave every half an hour.

I happened to be passing the Pattaya North Rd bus station yesterday and called in. The woman at the Ekamai window confirmed there's no booking in advance. She said buses leave every half an hour.

"Every half hour" is the standard response and is only an average. Bus departures vary hour by hour. Busy in the morning (4 or 5 bus departures in an hour), less so in mid to late afternoon, and far less frequent at night.

You see i may of sold " timeshare " many years ago but i have always told the truth! oh and if you fancy a " Gypsy's Kiss " ( The Toilet ) whist waiting for your bus there is a charge of 3 baht ( although don't expect " piped music and the aroma of a rose garden " .. .)

F.J wai.gif

Buses to Ekamai & Mochit run daily and the first one leaves Pattaya to Ekamai at 04.30 I catch this bus quite often ( Don't be nosey viewers..... ) and its a very busy bus! for this bus you need to be there 1 hour before departure! You cannot book these buses in advance! then the buses seem to run every 30 minutes. Ekamai to Pattaya Nua - last one leaves about 23.00 ( worth getting there early at Ekamai to allow time to be " searched by police " who hover about in the darkness........)

An excellent service but certainly not as cheap as it should be in Thailand! or if you are not in a rush and you are " as cool as a cucumber " ( just like myself viewers...) then take the train from Pattaya Railway station which departs at 14.35 daily ( Monday to Friday ) arriving in Bangkok's seriously cool Hua Lampong station at 18.20 at a cost of just 31 baht ( Tickets can be purchased 30 minutes before departure )

Alan Whicker wai2.gif

I did the train a couple of weeks ago when I went up to Chiang Mai. Got on at Chonburi, 23 baht from there, free for Thais. It is a very third class service, the seats were very hard and the carriage was generally run down. Ceiling fans did not work so all the windows were open. By the time we got to BKK it was dark so the carriage was full of every insect known to man.

On the way back, the train was waiting to leave BKK, we walked past it and got a taxi to Ekamai.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Alan Whicker wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

I did the train a couple of weeks ago when I went up to Chiang Mai. Got on at Chonburi, 23 baht from there, free for Thais. It is a very third class service, the seats were very hard and the carriage was generally run down. Ceiling fans did not work so all the windows were open. By the time we got to BKK it was dark so the carriage was full of every insect known to man.

On the way back, the train was waiting to leave BKK, we walked past it and got a taxi to Ekamai.

I don't really think you can complain when you have a fabulous train ride from Chonburi to Bkk's Hua Lampong station and its a 3 hour journey for only 23 baht! ( including insects... )

( It should be noted that i had to take a " minivan " today from Pattaya to Chonburi ( no trains at the weekends ) and it cost 80 baht not only " bloody expensive " but very dangerous driving as usual! Its the last time i will ever use the roads again !!! especially when the train from Pattaya to Chonburi is only 10 baht,no hideous aircon and so much more enjoyable !!! )

F.J x

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't really think you can complain when you have a fabulous train ride from Chonburi to Bkk's Hua Lampong station and its a 3 hour journey for only 23 baht! ( including insects... )

( It should be noted that i had to take a " minivan " today from Pattaya to Chonburi ( no trains at the weekends ) and it cost 80 baht not only " bloody expensive " but very dangerous driving as usual! Its the last time i will ever use the roads again !!! especially when the train from Pattaya to Chonburi is only 10 baht,no hideous aircon and so much more enjoyable !!! )

F.J x

Each to his own on what can be considered a 'fabulous' train ride. When we came back from CM we did the first class on the No 14 train. Wife and I had individual cabins with adjoining door. You get armchair, motorised bed & individual aircon controls. That fell into my idea of 'fabulous'.

I agree with you on the minivans. I have lived in Chonburi for about 6 years now and up until a couple of years ago I could get back and forth to Pattaya on the service bus without a problem. Now it is quite difficult, there are hardly any service buses running so it is either a long wait or a death defying minivan run.

I did one a couple of weeks ago, that was 80 baht, and it took about two and a half hours, he parked up at Bang Saen for 40 minutes. The service bus is normally 50 baht and takes about an hour and a half.

F.J x

Each to his own on what can be considered a 'fabulous' train ride. When we came back from CM we did the first class on the No 14 train. Wife and I had individual cabins with adjoining door. You get armchair, motorised bed & individual aircon controls. That fell into my idea of 'fabulous'.

I agree with you on the minivans. I have lived in Chonburi for about 6 years now and up until a couple of years ago I could get back and forth to Pattaya on the service bus without a problem. Now it is quite difficult, there are hardly any service buses running so it is either a long wait or a death defying minivan run.

I did one a couple of weeks ago, that was 80 baht, and it took about two and a half hours, he parked up at Bang Saen for 40 minutes. The service bus is normally 50 baht and takes about an hour and a half.

Yes you are absolutely right! I waited over 2 hours for a 50 baht service bus to Chonburi and even the police turned up and said " impossible ". The 80 baht minivan driver seemed to have a " nervous twitch " and ended up driving like " The Sweeney " ( not fabulous ).I don't find Chonburi the most interesting of places but if I were to live there then I would head down to the beach......F.J x

<scr

Yes you are absolutely right! I waited over 2 hours for a 50 baht service bus to Chonburi and even the police turned up and said " impossible ". The 80 baht minivan driver seemed to have a " nervous twitch " and ended up driving like " The Sweeney " ( not fabulous ).I don't find Chonburi the most interesting of places but if I were to live there then I would head down to the beach......F.J x

Those were the days, quite an apt description but probably lost on many.

I don't live in the town, on the outskirts about a mile from the bypass/344 junction. Not a lot of much interest in the town, they have a few events during the year, most famous being the buffalo racing. Fairly regular visitors to Bang Saen, went down a couple of weeks ago when the car racing was on, quite good.

• Like 1