High prices for popcorn at movie theater?

I dont want to turn this into a thread about flaming me about being cheap but why do they charge such high prices for popcorn and soda at the movie theater. 259 baht for a tiny popcorn and soda? Its nothing like the sizes in America.

How do the thais afford this in this third world country?

Am I the only one who finds it high?

• Like 1

I don't know how the cinema business works in Thailand but in general a theater only gets a small percentage of the ticket revenues for a movie for the first 2 weeks, thereafter it will get a majority percentage of ticket revenues - assuming the movie is still running and drawing customers. I haven't seen many movies in Thailand run more than a week in a theater. That means the theater must make its profits primarily from its concessions and they can't do that selling food and drink at "street" or grocery store prices.

• Like 1

I think I may have looked at pricing for a hobbit 3 combo 259 baht, as the drink had a figure on it.

I saw what looked like a family combo for 320 baht that included 3 bags of pop corn and 3 sodas.

This makes me wonder, how much if you bought a large popcorn and a soda?

Does the theater check your bags for bringing in food or candy?

When was the last time you went to a theatre in the US? Prices in TH are a bargain for first run movies in first class multiplexes. Say thank you.

Now about $12 to $14 for a ticket in the states at an average cinema. Most are better here. And $4 for a bottle of water. That is 130 baht! Water here is 20 baht. Bring your own or buy a bag of chips for 40 baht.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think I may have looked at pricing for a hobbit 3 combo 259 baht, as the drink had a figure on it.

I saw what looked like a family combo for 320 baht that included 3 bags of pop corn and 3 sodas.

Did they check yours when you were there?

Aaah, or did you actually go in?

• Like 1

You don't need popcorn or soda while you are there.

Use a little self control.

Buy some popcorn, soda or anything else you enjoy. and take it in with you in a carrier bag. When I was a teenager, and in my early twenties, I went to the cinema either by myself or with a mate (not a female) I took a flask of ice cold orange juice, and bought crisps and sweets to take in with me.

I have never been to the cinema since then except two or three times with a Thai girl when I first came to Thailand. I used to rent videos and watch them in the house after video recorders became popular.

Your last sentence, not back in Scotland when I was young.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Did they check yours when you were there?

Aaah, or did you actually go in?

He was afraid of being strip searched cause he's got a small weener.