Claims of substandard Thai rice distorted: ex-deputy minister

webfact

"... 14 million tonnes of rice were of "substandard" quality and only two million tonnes of "standard" quality." - Panadda.

Putting aside the political and personal disputes people have with Yingluck and her administration, from purely a scientific perspective Yanyong is correct that the report now from Panadda was at least "misleading." The inspections don't back Panadda's allegations.

When you look at the original record of the NCPO audit led by Panadda as reported by The Nation, Panadda's recent statements on rice quality look more like a fanciful storyline lacking a factual basis. If Panadda's alleged two million tons of standard quality was accurate, that rice would have been sold out well before the end of 2014, yet the government is continuing to pay Bt2 billion/mo. for granary storage and Thailand has now become No.1 this year in rice sales. Now that the NLA is considering Yingluck's impeachment, it seems history needs to be rewritten to fit the crime.

'Nationwide rice audit ordered by Junta nearly complete' & 'Improvement on many fronts after two months: NCPO Nationwide rice audit ordered by Junta nearly complete'

Nation July 28, 2014

"Since the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) initiated the inspection early this month, 18 million tonnes of pledged rice in 1,787 granaries around the country have been checked by troops against records for both quantity and quality."

"General Prayuth Chanocha, director of the NCPO, has said the regime was committed to inspecting the quality and quantity of rice stored at government granaries nationwide, as well as bringing charges against anyone found involved in fraud or non-transparent activity."

"Of that, 126 granaries [as of Friday] were found to have irregular rice, and the type of rice in storage was not the same as that listed on the records," he said."

"However, inspections in 14 eastern provinces found few flaws. There were 429.8 tonnes of rice missing or 0.018 per cent of the 2.32 million tonnes in total on the lists, the Second Army Area spokesman said yesterday."

The Commerce Ministry is preparing to resume selling rice from its stocks early next month, gradually in small lots, at the rate of about 500,000 tonnes a month.

'80% of rice is fine'

The Nation July 29, 2014

"Only 10 per cent of rice stockpiles has spoiled and only some sacks were missing, while 80 per cent was in still good condition, the rice inspection committee reported to the Rice Policy Committee meeting yesterday." [Panadda is head of the committee]

"The audit of 18 million tonnes of pledged rice stored in granaries has progressed by 72 per cent to 1,290 out of 1,787 locations nationwide."

Can we charge the current Govt for spoiling 70% of the rice in 4 months?

Samples from bales deep inside the stacks of ricw were taken from 1 in every 7 storage sites because the other 6 of every storage site they only found 1 that actually had rice deep inside the stacks. The rest were made to look like rice was there but had scaffolding or boxes in its place.

And your evidence of this is where ????

Where have you been? Ohh i see your name come to pattaya for the winter. Ok! Just google it and you will see articles and photos of the empty places deep in the rice made to look like more was there

Samples from bales deep inside the stacks of ricw were taken from 1 in every 7 storage sites because the other 6 of every storage site they only found 1 that actually had rice deep inside the stacks. The rest were made to look like rice was there but had scaffolding or boxes in its place.

Where have you been? Ohh i see your name come to pattaya for the winter. Ok! Just google it and you will see articles and photos of the empty places deep in the rice made to look like more was there

This was one building of a few thousand tonnes.

There is little or no accusation that a large percentage of the crop missing, stolen or unaccounted for.

The crop has deteriorated in quality in line with normal ageing in these conditions. Anyone expecting it not to doesn't know much about storing food in Asia.

Excellent Idea!... Let the granary owner sue!...

If the they prove their grain is perfect and all accounted the Junta can gift them a nice medal to place above their doorway...

But if any of their stock is missing or bad they must reimburse the Government for the loss...

Lets see how many line up for that coffee1.gif

• Like 1

There is little or no accusation that a large percentage of the crop missing, stolen or unaccounted for.

The crop has deteriorated in quality in line with normal ageing in these conditions. Anyone expecting it not to doesn't know much about storing food in Asia.

I seem to recall more than 1 and several different ways the center of the rice was filled to make it look like rice was there. Also i seem to recall tonnes missing. Not just a little
  • Like 1

Typical finger pointing has started. If the ex-minister things it's not as substandard, I welcome him to sell it to anyone for non substandard pricing. Rice is old and in bad shape. If you are entrusted with that much amount of money, and you squandered it on something without oversight, I think that is dereliction of duty. Even though they have been fairly warned, YS government refused to heed the warning.

It's time to put someone in jail, then future politicians will think twice about doing things without considering the huge amount of responsibility.

the thought of having to pay/reimburse the thai people for their corrupt practices is making these morons start to sweat, the last thing they want is to have to repay what they have taken from the country so they will stop at nothing to try to claim innocence. Lets see it the govt. hierarchy has the balls to actually put all the rice scheme information out to the public so they will see the truth for themselves

That must let Thaksin out then as it was his idea in the first place to buy high, store it and sell at an even higher rate.

I find that so odd as Thaksin has been described by quite a few on this forum as a brilliant businessman and obviously being so good he would have known that simple fact.

That must let Thaksin out then as it was his idea in the first place to buy high, store it and sell at an even higher rate.

I find that so odd as Thaksin has been described by quite a few on this forum as a brilliant businessman and obviously being so good he would have known that simple fact.

Brilliant, really!

2012-09-24

"“If we manipulate the mechanism for two years, three years, then things will be moving naturally,” Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and has lived overseas since fleeing a 2008 jail sentence, said in Singapore today. “The rice price in the world market is increasing.”"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-24/thai-rice-policy-should-stay-several-more-years-thaksin-says.html

Brilliant, really!

2012-09-24

"“If we manipulate the mechanism for two years, three years, then things will be moving naturally,” Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and has lived overseas since fleeing a 2008 jail sentence, said in Singapore today. “The rice price in the world market is increasing.”"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-24/thai-rice-policy-should-stay-several-more-years-thaksin-says.html

Nice little book mark here for when the prices increase dramatically and you to give credit to the Junta :)

For all his faults, which he has many, the guy is a fantastic businessman, whether by hook or crook.

Brilliant, really!

2012-09-24

Nice little book mark here for when the prices increase dramatically and you to give credit to the Junta smile.png

For all his faults, which he has many, the guy is a fantastic businessman, whether by hook or crook.

"manipulate the mechanism" is something countries can complain about with the WTO if I remember correctly.

Also a few countries have laws against businessmen manipulating market mechanisms. Some even call it criminal, imagine.

Anyway, the (Thaksin thinks) Pheu Thai party states again, based on the non-existing administration the Pheu Thai led Yingluck government left behind. That's assuming they left something behind, apart from the 700 billion RPPS gap that is.

Brilliant, really!

2012-09-24

Nice little book mark here for when the prices increase dramatically and you to give credit to the Junta smile.png

"manipulate the mechanism" is something countries can complain about with the WTO if I remember correctly.

Also a few countries have laws against businessmen manipulating market mechanisms. Some even call it criminal, imagine.

Anyway, the (Thaksin thinks) Pheu Thai party states again, based on the non-existing administration the Pheu Thai led Yingluck government left behind. That's assuming they left something behind, apart from the 700 billion RPPS gap that is.

I have no idea why you are bolding "maniplate the mechanism'? what are you talking about?

The ex deputy minister, if he really wants credibility, should produce the full accounting for the scheme from its inception until the military took over.

That is assuming there was any accounting actually done.

But then he is probably just working on his defense after all he is one of those being investigated for graft relating to the scheme.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742567-anti-graft-agency-probing-rice-deals-links-to-thai-ministers/

Posted 2014-07-14 06:45:07

Anti-graft agency probing rice deals, links to ministers
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission sub-panel is deeply probing alleged irregularities in the rice-pledging scheme's financial transactions to identify possible nominees linked to five former ministers under investigation, NACC deputy secretary-general Warawit Sukboon said yesterday.

Facing graft probes in connection with the rice-pledging scheme are ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra, ex-commerce ministers Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan, Boonsong Teriyapirom and Yanyong Phuangrach and former deputy commerce minister Poom Sarapol.

Brilliant, really!

2012-09-24

I have no idea why you are bolding "maniplate the mechanism'? what are you talking about?

Do you read posts before you reply ?

PS I did a 'cut and paste', the forum software automatically then sets font, size, style and background.

Edited by rubl

Let me get this straight. While I have no knowledge over the % of substandard rice, the whole scheme has cost extreme losses exceeding 500,000 Million Baht. That's nothing to belittle and our kids will want answers when they have to pay higher university fees as a result of all this @$#@!$#@#@!.

How refreshing the PM is. He screwed up (saying something which was deemed inappropriate) and took responsibility. Way to go. Does anyone involved in that dreadful rice scheme apologize or step down? Hope someone knows the answer.

Let me get this straight. While I have no knowledge over the % of substandard rice, the whole scheme has cost extreme losses exceeding 500,000 Million Baht. That's nothing to belittle and our kids will want answers when they have to pay higher university fees as a result of all this @$#@!$#@#@!.

How refreshing the PM is. He screwed up (saying something which was deemed inappropriate) and took responsibility. Way to go. Does anyone involved in that dreadful rice scheme apologize or step down? Hope someone knows the answer.

No it not 500 billion it is very close to 700 billion and rising due to the ongoing costs of storage and selling the rice.

None of them have ever apologized, in fact none of PT or the associated reds have ever apologized for anything.

No it not 500 billion it is very close to 700 billion and rising due to the ongoing costs of storage and selling the rice.

None of them have ever apologized, in fact none of PT or the associated reds have ever apologized for anything.

A bit off topic, but the last part is incorrect. There was at least one instance where the UDD apologised

Mind you, some news sites reported

""We truly apologise. That should not have happened and we don't approve of it," said Weng Tojirakarn, a protest leader."

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/red-shirts-apologise-storming-hospital-3505076

some as

""On behalf of all leaders, I apologise to the public and Chulalongkorn Hospital for the incident," the Red leader Weng Tojirakarn said. "The situation got out of control. "It is not our policy to obstruct hospital operations.""

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/asia-pacific/red-shirts-raid-bangkok-hospital-to-find-troops

You do know he and most other successful businessmen in Thailand made their billions? They did it by being granted semi monopolies at the expense of the Thai population.

Actually, the bad actor in this whole plan was the Indian rice market where the Indians realised there was a huge amount of wedge to be made by scuppering thaksins stupid plan to shorten the market.

India hadn't exported for years and filled the market with supply.

You do know he and most other successful businessmen in Thailand made their billions? They did it by being granted semi monopolies at the expense of the Thai population.

Actually, the bad actor in this whole plan was the Indian rice market where the Indians realised there was a huge amount of wedge to be made by scuppering thaksins stupid plan to shorten the market.

A bit off topic, but the last part is incorrect. There was at least one instance where the UDD apologised

Mind you, some news sites reported

""We truly apologise. That should not have happened and we don't approve of it," said Weng Tojirakarn, a protest leader."

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/red-shirts-apologise-storming-hospital-3505076

some as

""On behalf of all leaders, I apologise to the public and Chulalongkorn Hospital for the incident," the Red leader Weng Tojirakarn said. "The situation got out of control. "It is not our policy to obstruct hospital operations.""

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/asia-pacific/red-shirts-raid-bangkok-hospital-to-find-troops

I stand corrected Rubi, my apologies to Dr Weng.

Pity that trait was not continued or taken up by his fellow leaders or MP's.

Why would the junta de-value the stockpiled rice, so that they can get less money for it??

Because they know they are going to have to offload a lot of low quality rice at a low price....so, they are just preparing the public now so the public won't be shocked when the govt sells rice at far below market price.

Not quite as easy as just selling cheaply as it would be considered dumping. Anything under cost (less 5%) you can bet India and Vietnam will be straight onto the WTO. Might get away (under the circumstances) with limited amounts such as 10,000 tonnes but not millions of tonnes. This is one of the major reasons the present and previous government try for G2G deals, they can be arranged in such a way as to not fall foul of anti-dumping regulations.

Given the issues with quality over such a lengthy period along with somewhat disgruntled customers such as Iran and Ivory Coast, the best bet would be China in one huge hit. Get rid of it, out of sight out of mind. In return Thailand gets a nationwide dual track railway with new rolling stock and a yet to be released iPhone 7.

We all knew that the rice scheme was doomed to failure and were not left disappointed. The losses are staggering and all it has to show for itself is a vast mass of degrading blood diamond grain. I think perhaps, in the interest of peace and harmony, Thailand should close this chapter and move on. With the next instalment of ASEAN only a week or so away, we still don't have a rail infrastructure anywhere near capable of mass goods transfer. Exchange the grain for infrastructure investment.