Move to seize assets from ex-CIB chief Pongpat

webfact

Move to seize assets
The Nation

30250540-03_big.jpg

AMLO TO CONFISCATE ITEMS WORTH BT1 BILLION FROM EX-CIB CHIEF PONGPAT

BANGKOK: -- THE ANTI-MONEY Laundering Office agreed yesterday to seize assets of former Central Investigation Bureau chief Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan worth more than Bt1 billion. They include several items of newly discovered jewellery and bundles of foreign banknotes.

AMLO secretary-general Seehanart Prayoonrat said all items would be divided into two groups - depreciative items that would be auctioned in January and those that could last. A review of all items would be undertaken and the final list would be made public in February.

Among other newly discovered or newly publicised items is an unspecified artefact that Seehanart said was the only one in the world, 120 kilograms of silver pellets, Bt3.9 million in Thai banknotes, a number of diamonds and other gems in necklaces and various decoratives.

AMLO would also further inspect a number of land title deeds, worth around Bt500 million in initial estimates, and said they would also be seized in the near future if found to have been acquired with ill-gotten money. AMLO officials would soon meet with Pongpat in detention to notify him of pending seizures and to allow him to defend the sources of those subject to seizures.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission said yesterday that police could take criminal actions against Pongpat and his racket members independently and separately under the Criminal Procedural Code from a process the NACC is undertaking, NACC member Vicha Mahakun said.

For the lists of assets seized from Pongpat's 11 homes, the NACC would also use them in its own investigation into unlawful acquisition of the times allegedly committed by Pongpat and his racket members.

Vicha was responding to a Royal Thai Police statement sent to the NACC about it wanting to take criminal action against Pongpat and his men with various offences on its own, without proceeding with other formal indictment of the suspects for the NACC to take further action against the suspects under the NACC jurisdiction.

The RTP list of offences details the crimes Pongpat and his men have committed - lese majeste with slanderous and false statements, granting gambling licences without permission, demanding and taking bribes from fuel smugglers in the far South, selling police posts in the CIB (that Pongpat headed).

RTP spokesman Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri said all offences regarding lese majeste under Article 112 of the Criminal Code were being handled by the police and likely to be done within a 48-day time frame. The stripping of Pongpat and other police suspects' ranks had not been considered by the RTP yet - that was a separate process from criminal action against them, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Move-to-seize-assets-30250540.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-24

I'm surprised there are any assets left to seize. Remember the old transport seccy that went to his daughters wedding and got robbed? Robbers claimed the house was stuffed floor to ceiling in every room with banknotes. Billions and billions of them. But, when all was said and done, only a couple million was recovered and it was as if with every official that reviewed the case, the pile got smaller until the good secretary never did stuff his pockets. Expect the same here, Pongpat is no longer relevant.

• Like 2

The BKK Post says a police disciplinary committee has approved the expulsion of 6 from the police and the order should take effect in a couple of days.

It will mean they are stripped of all rank, pension, compensation and any other benefits.

Probably wont matter much to them anyway as they are very likely to spend the rest of their lives behind bars, but it would mean that their wives and offspring would also lose the usual benefits.

• Like 1

Why are all microphones so expensive in Thailand. The one in the picture is 2,700,000 baht.

Not true. The junta's investigation found that although the microphones were roughly 300% more expensive than full retail, they were not overpriced. That didn't make any sense to me either.

Why are all microphones so expensive in Thailand. The one in the picture is 2,700,000 baht.

Not true. The junta's investigation found that although the microphones were roughly 300% more expensive than full retail, they were not overpriced. That didn't make any sense to me either.

Oh dear, I do hope you are both joking. Sadly I'm thinking not.

• Like 1

"an unspecified artefact that Seehanart said was the only one in the world"

Unspecified? I wonder who is going to lay a claim on that one?

Further, at last report, Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar have all asked to see the artifacts....ones declared forgeries and ones declared as authentic....but no country has received a reply or invitation.

LOS -- Land Of Smoke (and mirrors)

as long as they also remove all the money from his bank accounts that was gained through his dealings or will they leave the bank account alone, seems that is what they usually do here instead of doing the right thing and taking all his wealth.

as long as they also remove all the money from his bank accounts that was gained through his dealings or will they leave the bank account alone, seems that is what they usually do here instead of doing the right thing and taking all his wealth.

Reported in the BKK Post that they have frozen 111 bank accounts belonging to him and 7 others implicated in the scams.

Apparently if he and the others cant prove the money in these accounts was legally obtained the AMLO will seize the funds and they will go to the state..

This is just one small group. Multiply that by hundreds of thousands ... nay, millions ... and try to imagine how much wealth has disappeared from the public domain into private pockets. The mind boggles ... just how many development opportunities have been lost! Betterment of the lives of the less fortunate, especially. It's a shame this case is specific and not a general clean up.

This scum pongpat must be the biggest criminal that ever roamed the earth.

And it takes all these many years for the scumback to be apprehended.

and Thaksin and Yinluck have not done anything to arrest the scumback.

for that alone she should be impeached and put in Jail. Sergeant Schulz comes to mind.

I don't think Philip is talking about the parliament microphones.

I think he is talking about the microphone in the picture at the press conference that has a 2,700,000 baht price tag on it ... sitting on top of that stringy thing that is probably worthless.

"an unspecified artefact that Seehanart said was the only one in the world"

Unspecified? I wonder who is going to lay a claim on that one?

Further, at last report, Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar have all asked to see the artifacts....ones declared forgeries and ones declared as authentic....but no country has received a reply or invitation.

LOS -- Land Of Smoke (and mirrors)

"At last report" from who? These requests should be made through the foreign ministries with responses accordingly.

I read some very interesting stuff about this situation which is probably banned in Thailand. Search people.

This is not some corruption bust. This is powerbroking on a grand scale and someone just got their wings well and truly clipped

I agree with you Thai at Heart.

One of my sister inlaws works for a newspaper as an editor and i was told about it a bit more than a month ago.

It's all about Fat and Skinny that know a bloke. Skinny lost.

• Like 1

I read some very interesting stuff about this situation which is probably banned in Thailand. Search people.

This is not some corruption bust. This is powerbroking on a grand scale and someone just got their wings well and truly clipped

I agree with you Thai at Heart.

One of my sister inlaws works for a newspaper as an editor and i was told about it a bit more than a month ago.

It's all about Fat and Skinny that know a bloke. Skinny lost.

Absolutely.Nothing to see here.

The website I saw here had some quite sad photos of those involved and pulls no punches at all about what they belive is going on and the actors involved

Very very serious moves being made right now and a lot of serious jockeying for position.

Meanwhile elsewhere, apparently Thailand lost 700 bn on rice. Oi...please pay attention. 700bn. You hear. Pay attention.

Watch the hand....