why do so many farangs marry ?

catman20

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Because they have been conned into believing marriage is the done, conventional, thing and to live with a woman out of wedlock is sinful.

Religion has a big part in this as do mothers who after all are female and marriage is something that gives a woman a legal hold over a man.

As in; he's mine now, hands off.

Men are suckers for this as they have mostly been brought up to expect to meet the perfect girl (for them) fall in love, marry and live happily ever after.

Woman take advantage of this, particularly the love bit where a man is besotted with their charms and other bodily parts and easily falls for the marry me darling.........

Works for some but ends in tears for others.

nobody conned anybody pal. sounds like you chose a bad one.

Nope, didn't choose any, never been married and never will be, I worked out the con at an early age.

now there's a smart guy worked it all out at an early age..............................wished I worked the scam earlier

Any silly fool like catman who thinks marriage is not based on money, is living a life of lies and deceptions. Every woman in the west and the east both, is looking for financial security. Nearly all women worldwide are looking for financial security. And there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, is when a man tries to deny this reality. That is wrong. The arrangement may be a little different here. Generally, a man who gets married here does not have to give up financial control of his entire world when he gets married here. He does not have to add his wife's name to his every asset, he does not have to disclose his every asset to her. If he gives her a monthly allowance, how is that different from him adding her to the checking account in the west? Explain that one to me please. Of course we want our wives to be comfortable. If she is not working she needs money to eat, to buy clothing, to live, and to enjoy her life. If we give her an allowance, how is that not something you can understand?

It is time for guys like you to man up, and accept the way the world works. Western women have a lot of western men hypnotized into thinking the way the system works back there is the only valid and acceptable way of life. That is how many women want it to work. Some of us choose alternative lifestyles and systems that seem far more equitable to us.

Nonsense. It's 2014. Women are able to achieve financial security for themselves, without waiting for a man to provide for them.

• Like 2

The way some men relate to women, you'd think they were possessions rather than actual human beings.

So many guys here regard paying their "wife" an allowance as normal behaviour in Thailand, it's laughable.

I doubt they'd ever admit to doing so to friends and family back home.

• Like 1

The way some men relate to women, you'd think they were possessions rather than actual human beings.

So many guys here regard paying their "wife" an allowance as normal behaviour in Thailand, it's laughable.

Having dinner once and overheard a guy saying....the salary i pay my wife is never enough for her....i nearly choked....btw....he was retired.....so no company or whatsoever.....

I am too old, ugly and boring to get a young one I fancy for free,

So I pay her ........ what's the problem?

You think some attractive young woman will want you "for yourself" when you are 60?

• Like 2

You think some attractive young woman will want you "for yourself" when you are 60?

Maybe he'd prefer an age appropriate partner?

Who knows but one thing's for sure; if I don't want a young floosie now, I most certainly won't want one when I'm 60.

If you want to pay a young girl to sleep with you there's nothing wrong with that but that's not the topic of discussion is it; unless, of course, you're up for marrying a prostitute, AOA??

We're talking about why farang men choose to MARRY here.

I don't get it either - unless you want kids. All I have ever wanted to do is screw around as much as possible, with as many different beautiful women as possible, and not feel guilty about it. I have discovered that it does not work without money, but being married does not either.

I married because I do not want to live the type of life that you are describing.

Any silly fool like catman who thinks marriage is not based on money, is living a life of lies and deceptions. Every woman in the west and the east both, is looking for financial security. Nearly all women worldwide are looking for financial security. And there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, is when a man tries to deny this reality. That is wrong. The arrangement may be a little different here. Generally, a man who gets married here does not have to give up financial control of his entire world when he gets married here. He does not have to add his wife's name to his every asset, he does not have to disclose his every asset to her. If he gives her a monthly allowance, how is that different from him adding her to the checking account in the west? Explain that one to me please. Of course we want our wives to be comfortable. If she is not working she needs money to eat, to buy clothing, to live, and to enjoy her life. If we give her an allowance, how is that not something you can understand?

It is time for guys like you to man up, and accept the way the world works. Western women have a lot of western men hypnotized into thinking the way the system works back there is the only valid and acceptable way of life. That is how many women want it to work. Some of us choose alternative lifestyles and systems that seem far more equitable to us.

Nonsense. It's 2014. Women are able to achieve financial security for themselves, without waiting for a man to provide for them.

But regardless as to whether they can achieve it on their own or not, when given a choice, most women will pick the guy who is more financially secure. Bottom line. Worldwide. East or West. North or South. It is in the DNA of the species. Nothing wrong with that. Denial of that reality, is the real error, from my point of view.

But regardless as to whether they can achieve it on their own or not, when given a choice, most women will pick the guy who is more financially secure. Bottom line. Worldwide. East or West. North or South. It is in the DNA of the species. Nothing wrong wiofthat. Denial of that reality, is the real error, from my point of view.

It might seem like a reality to you, but some of us have direct experience to the contrary. I can think of a number of women I know who choose relatively penniless men, and a number of men with partners better off than they are.

• Like 1

I don't get it either - unless you want kids. All I have ever wanted to do is screw around as much as possible, with as many different beautiful women as possible, and not feel guilty about it. I have discovered that it does not work without money, but being married does not either.

I married because I do not want to live the type of life that you are describing.

I enjoyed the UG life for 20 years with very few regrets.

I have also enjoyed the last 10 years happily married to a Thai lass and raising two beautiful kids.

Don't be too judgemental of different lifestyles especially if you have not had the experience.

I have also enjoyed the last 10 years happily married to a Thai lass and raising two beautiful kids.

Don't be too judgemental of different lifestyles especiallaif you have not had the experience.

I don't see anyone passing judgement - merely pointing out that they chose a different path.

For people who make great claims about how your lifestyles are nothing to be ashamed of, a lot of you here are surprisingly sensitive to perceived criticism.

• Like 1

But regardless as to whether they can achieve it on their own or not, when given a choice, most women will pick the guy who is more financially secure. Bottom line. Worldwide. East or West. North or South. It is in the DNA of the species. Nothing wrong with that. Denial of that reality, is the real error, from my point of view.

That's not been my experience. Money doesn't matter anywhere near as much in the West if you're fishing in a normal pond.

I know women who've told the swaggering banker and his bonus to take a hike opting instead for the guy with a personality, a bit of empathy and an average salary.

Guys who think it's all about the money invariably - whether they mean to or not - tend to project that when they interact with women.

Women can sense that attitude in a man a mile off

Don't be too judgemental of different lifestyles especiallaif you have not had the experience.

I don't see anyone passing judgement - merely pointing out that they chose a different path.

For people who make great claims about how your lifestyles are nothing to be ashamed of, a lot of you here are surprisingly sensitive to perceived criticism.

Do you think some of them should be ashamed of their lifestyles?

For people who make great claims about how your lifestyles are nothing to be ashameso, a lot of you here are surprisingly sensitive to perceived criticism.

Do you think some of them should be ashamed of their lifestyles?

It's their life. They should be aware that some people make different choices, but that's not the same thing. Seems that a lot them are in denial about that, or think they're being attacked when somebody points out they're not interested in the same things.

im 34, never been married, not living in Thailand, dont have jasmine fever, currently have a non-thai girlfriend, have had a Thai Gf before , my none of my family have been divorced, best friend divorced from a vindictive nutcase

I read stuff on Thai visa, hear and read about divorce cases in my country, have read up on the ridiculous divorce laws in my country, I am asset rich through blood, sweat and tears over the years,

and the concept of marriage scares the bejesus out of me,

no marriage for me, and if the girl cannot accept it, I am happy to let her move on

if she accepts me for who I am and isnt one of those girls that says 'oh because you dont marry me, you dont love me' type of girls, then I have a keeper for life!

If you're planning to keep her for life, then why not get married?

Who would want to keep the same woman for life?

If you genuinely can't think of an answer to that question, I feel sorry for you.

Saggy T&A you're welcome.

• Like 1

Don't be too judgemental of different lifestyles especially if you have not had the experience.

I'm not being judgmental. I used to "live" that way when I visited Thailand before I was living here full time and in my opinion it makes for a better diversion than a lifestyle. The ones being judgmental are the ones so immersed in the bar & soapies scene that they think that only an idiot would want to be married.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, I don't have any problems with anyone else getting married, if they want to. I just know that when I meet an exceptionally beautiful young lady who is willing to sleep with me, I am going to do it and - IMO - that is not fair to someone that you have promised to be faithful to. It is important to me not to cheat on someone that I love, but I am very aware that I could not resist.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

For what it is worth, I don't have any problems with anyone else getting married, if they want to. I just know that when I meet an exceptionally beautiful young lady who is willing to sleep with me, I am going to do it and - IMO - that is not fair to someone that you have promised to be faithful to. It is important to me not to cheat on someone that I love, but I am very aware that I could not resist.

The original poster's question might was well have been "why do so many people anywhere get married" instead of "why do so many farangs". Strip away the presumption that those beautiful women are only be available to you because you are in Thailand and all it boils down to is that you are single because you want the additional freedom. That's not much different in the West, lots of people play around for years, some eventually tire of the single lifestyle, and many people (even older people) get married.

• Like 1

I agree, there are still some good looking guys around age 60 (I'm one of them).

But most of us want women, and they ain't so hot at that age.

Personally, I'd rather be single, than with a woman over 50.

• Like 1

If you want to pay a young girl to sleep with you there's nothing wrong with that but that's not the topic of discussion is it; unless, of course, you're up for marrying a prostitute, AOA??

Not sure you could ever tell about a woman's past, if they have no diseases or ink and you speak no Thai.

As long as they have a fertile womb, why would their past occupation matter?

I'm 54 and have never married, but as my girlfriend of 4 years is now pregnant, I'm considering it may be best. As she's Laotian it's a little complicated to marry in either Thailand or Laos, but I definitely want my kid to be able to get a British passport and for my (much younger) wife to benefit from my pensions when I'm gone.

• Like 1

I agree, there are still some good looking guys around age 60 (I'm one of them).

But most of us want women, and they ain't so hot at that age.

Personally, I'd rather be single, than with a woman over 50.

im one of them too AOA,,lol, but only 54,

i married my wife becouse i love her,,

i couldnt emagine being without her now,

yes im the soft one, but i do love her,

only the other morning i was talking to her on skype, im working in africa thats why,

and she was crying saying she missed me, proper tears, i know her after 9 years she does miss me, and i miss her,

i really hope some of you doughters find a truely loving girl/lady, becouse belive me being in love and and being loved by a great women, is a good feeling,

i hope you have all had a great christmas

and my best wishes for the new year

• Like 2