Train crushes Dutch tourist to death in grisly accident in Thailand

webfact

Nam Tok train crushes Dutch tourist to death in grisly accident

12-24-2014-9-31-07-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KANCHANABURI: -- A Dutch tourist was killed when he slipped from the stairs of a moving Nam Tok train and fell on the tracks and ground over by its wheels.

The grisly incident happened 4.00 pm today at Ban Pupong station in Sai Yok district of Kanchanburi on the Nam Tok-Thonburi train.

Police identified the tourist as Mr Hieronymus Cornelis Maria, 52.

Sai Yok police said the Dutch man and his family left Nam Tok station for Thonburi station in Bangkok at about 3.30 pm on No 486 diesel train.

As the train was leaving Ban Pupong station, witnesses said he was seen falling down from the stairs of the moving train and trapped in between two train carriages. He was dragged onto the tracks and ground by the running wheels on the middle of the body.

The incident was the third involving the Thonburi-Nam Tok train in a month.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nam-tok-train-crushes-dutch-tourist-death-grisly-accident

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-25

• Like 1

RIP and condolences to the family

What was he doing outside on the stairs when the train was moving?

Why did the train leave when not all passengers were inside?

You have ridden on the train, right?

All sorts of shenanigans going on.

Big heavy piece of equipment.....people don't take due care. Then there's the people that drive ride and walk out in front of them.

The weight of the train ensure human bone is minded to powder. Human torsos are sliced like a knife through soft butter.

• Like 2

incedents involving trains and contact with the human body never end in a bump or a briuse...i have seen too many and they are never easy ,and lets not for get the ''train crew'' who usually goes back to find the pieces,they live these memories for years...

This train stops and accelerates quickly before people (mainly tourists) have been able to find a seat. The safety of this part Kanchanaburi railroad and maintenance of wooden bridges is awful. The article mentions only the Christian names of the victim, not the family name. Again a total unnecessary horrible accident in a country where safety standards are not met. Railway of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves. And TAT keeps shouting their positive forecasts.

The man's surname is Boumans. A copy of his passport was circulated to the media.

RIP. Condolences to the family.

This train stops and accelerates quickly before people (mainly tourists) have been able to find a seat. The safety of this part Kanchanaburi railroad and maintenance of wooden bridges is awful. The article mentions only the Christian names of the victim, not the family name. Again a total unnecessary horrible accident in a country where safety standards are not met. Railway of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves. And TAT keeps shouting their positive forecasts.

i dont think your comment is fair ''yet'',yes standards here are poor,but in some cases the tourist is to blame...unless you know some facts we are not aware of..cheers

• Like 2

incedents involving trains and contact with the human body never end in a bump or a briuse...i have seen too many and they are never easy ,and lets not for get the ''train crew'' who usually goes back to find the pieces,they live these memories for years...

Sad but true. Unfortunately, people seem not to realise a moving train will kill you just as surely at 5kph as 200kph. Railways are potentially very dangerous indeed.

• Like 1

He may have been standing on the steps filming, those trains jerk a lot and if he wasn't holding on firmly with one hand it would be easy to fall.

Especially in Clogs!! R.I.P Cloggie fella, horrible way to go.

Might come as a surprise for you, but not all Dutch wear clogs!!whistling.gif

Really? Who knew....... Next you will be telling me all Germans don't wear lederhosen.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i dont think your comment is fair ''yet'',yes standards here are poor,but in some cases the tourist is to blame...unless you know some facts we are not aware of..cheers

Don't blame the tourists when this happens time and again. In a civilized country the rail road company would be held responsible and this "avoidable" accident would be prevented. Is there not even a semblance of decency here?

RIP. A horrible end.

When I was much younger I worked in heavy haul rail. We actually stepped inside the rails between moving wagons to lift the locking pin on the auto coupler when shunting. Then jumped back out. How none of us were seriously injured or worse is amazing.

The article reads as if the man were neither alighting nor joining the train. Rather, it reads as though he was standing in the doorway. People do this to admire the view, enjoy the experience or more often to film or capture the ride on video or camera.

• Like 1

He fell of the stairs of the moving train? They should probably should lock the doors before the train starts moving ...

I don't agree about locking doors. There are times when people need to escape quickly.

Unless you're riding in a Freight Car without windows, lock the doors for safety. Passenger cars have windows that will allow most passengers to escape through. I do realize I also have to consider the size of the passenger to allow the escape through the usually broken and stayed open window. Ever ride the train from Wongwian Yai to Mahachai? With that particular route and the deplorable condition of the road bed, I'm surprised that no one has been thrown out of the open broken doors of the car into the swamps by the passenger car swaying back and forth. That route might as well be an Amusement Park ride. Perhaps, someone has been flung out and I'm just not aware. Any how, R.I.P. to the deceased and Condolences to the family.