Train crushes Dutch tourist to death in grisly accident in Thailand

webfact

Don't blame the tourists when this happens time and again. In a civilized country the rail road company would be held responsible and this "avoidable" accident would be prevented. Is there not even a semblance of decency here?

Tourists don't come here because it is a civilised country.....they come here because it is different from home.

Thailand does not have the same standards. It is not civilised. If you want civilised you can take the train in Holland. You will see many exciting things, like the rear walls of many factories and houses.

RIP and condolences to the family

What was he doing outside on the stairs when the train was moving?

Why did the train leave when not all passengers were inside?

You have ridden on the train, right?

All sorts of shenanigans going on.

Big heavy piece of equipment.....people don't take due care. Then there's the people that drive ride and walk out in front of them.

The weight of the train ensure human bone is minded to powder. Human torsos are sliced like a knife through soft butter.

Thanks for the unnecessary description. You CRUDE person.

• Like 2

Ouch. Bet that hurt.

One must be careful on the trains, it's easy to slip or trip.

May he rest in peace....an awful thing for his family to witness.

Agree with your last 2 sentences but ...

'Ouch. Bet that hurt.'

It's Christmas Day man, have some decency will you?!

• Like 2

All this talk about locking the doors. cheesy.gif

I know that in Western Europe, almost all trains now have locked doors once the train is moving, but This Is Thailand. Have you seen the state of the rolling stock? Have you experienced the (non-) safety culture? Have you seen the busboys hanging it out of the moving buses attached by two fingertips and a ropy flip-flop.

You might as well talk about Thai lunar landings.

• Like 1

RIP and condolences to the family

What was he doing outside on the stairs when the train was moving?

Why did the train leave when not all passengers were inside?

You have ridden on the train, right?

All sorts of shenanigans going on.

Big heavy piece of equipment.....people don't take due care. Then there's the people that drive ride and walk out in front of them.

The weight of the train ensure human bone is minded to powder. Human torsos are sliced like a knife through soft butter.

Thanks for the unnecessary description. You CRUDE person.

Nothing crude about it at all. If my words stick in one persons mind as they near train tracks then good....might make someone think twice before they act.

I've seen a few dozen under train wheels....the results are always the same. ;)

• Like 2

RIP. A horrible end.

When I was much younger I worked in heavy haul rail. We actually stepped inside the rails between moving wagons to lift the locking pin on the auto coupler when shunting. Then jumped back out. How none of us were seriously injured or worse is amazing.

You did WHAT? Mister, you must have been mental. I cut a few corners myself in my railway days, but no way would I do that...

This train stops and accelerates quickly before people (mainly tourists) have been able to find a seat. The safety of this part Kanchanaburi railroad and maintenance of wooden bridges is awful. The article mentions only the Christian names of the victim, not the family name. Again a total unnecessary horrible accident in a country where safety standards are not met. Railway of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves. And TAT keeps shouting their positive forecasts.

His Family name is Hieronymus, as the article states: Mr Hieronymus Cornelis Maria, the latter ones being his first names, but why is that important? i think the quote "The incident was the third involving the Thonburi-Nam Tok train in a month." says it all.

Something must have been wrong with those stairs or the railing missing or something. Even after two incidents in the month before no actionwas taken of course.

That's why I would never go in a roller coaster, ferris wheel, bungy jump or anything that needs proper engineering and maintenance in Thailand....

RIP, such a shame.

Unfortunately it is the way it is and will probably happen again. I have footage of our journey along this particular line. It's not up to the usual high Thai standards!

Third class would be the best description.

We took a trip up to Kanchanburi to visit the 'Death Railway'. I filmed and posted some footage of our train trip on youtube. If anyone is interested,about half way through you will see footage of a particular raised stretch of the line. I hung off the train to get it. I am sure I was not the first and defiantly not the last. The trains are very open plan. Very little to stop someone falling off and what there is is not in good condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsLeakk7u0&list=PLD28U3l47mf2aZhoxOAZnRZ-mU9PoNDmt&index=44

• Like 1

He fell of the stairs of the moving train? They should probably should lock the doors before the train starts moving ...

From the outside, of course. And don't forget the windows! So in case the passengers have to make an emergency exit they get the good old "unintended consequences".

RiP, unfortunate Dutchman and condolences to the family.

Edited by MaxYakov

As probably most of you are aware ( or maybe not... ) i travel almost everywhere by train in Thailand ( I absolutely refuse to use the roads! ) they are cheap and a fabulous way to explore Thailand ( far superior to travelling my road ) but as one viewer posted yes this is Thailand and it's " 3rd World " and so are the trains...... but you really do have to be a bit sensible when travelling by train.Even the most simplest of journeys relaxing in a cool 3rd class train carriage with the window down and " the wind in your hair " (fabulous) but just the split second you decide to " stick your head out of the window " is the moment you could end up looking like " Anne Boleyn " ..................

Respect where due.

F.J wai2.gif

• Like 1

Interesting to see the guy on the platform merrily enjoying himself while a family man lies sliced in half nearby... Thainess?

Do you realise that in the minds of Buddhists, our time on earth is just a brief stopover on the way to paradise. I have been to a few Thai funerals and witnessed even the closest relatives happy that their loved one is now in paradise and that their suffering on this earth is over.

People should stop judging people by the standards of your own particular religion and culture and open your mind to other possibilities.

Edited by raybal5
  • Like 1

This train stops and accelerates quickly before people (mainly tourists) have been able to find a seat. The safety of this part Kanchanaburi railroad and maintenance of wooden bridges is awful. The article mentions only the Christian names of the victim, not the family name. Again a total unnecessary horrible accident in a country where safety standards are not met. Railway of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves. And TAT keeps shouting their positive forecasts.

i dont think your comment is fair ''yet'',yes standards here are poor,but in some cases the tourist is to blame...unless you know some facts we are not aware of..cheers

The fact that there have been 3 incidents this months (and I quote) "The incident was the third involving the Thonburi-Nam Tok train in a month.

This may point to there being a safety concern with this train service.

If safety was a priority then there should be no normal circumstances where a father with his family could be killed using this transport. When I say "normal" i mean getting on and off the train etc. I doubt very much there was any unusual activity being performed by the man. So it is fairly safe to assume the safety of the service is in question here.

Interesting to see the guy on the platform merrily enjoying himself while a family man lies sliced in half nearby... Thainess?

So you're not allowed to smile within 50m of a body?

I think anyone who has empathy in such a situation would not be smiling. It's an absolute tragedy losing a husband/father like that on holiday and in such a way.

So very sad and NO I'm not smiling RIP

Don't blame the tourists when this happens time and again. In a civilized country the rail road company would be held responsible and this "avoidable" accident would be prevented. Is there not even a semblance of decency here?

Tourists don't come here because it is a civilised country.....they come here because it is different from home.

Thailand does not have the same standards. It is not civilised. If you want civilised you can take the train in Holland. You will see many exciting things, like the rear walls of many factories and houses.

I take offence that you state Thailand is not a civilised country. Just because it is different to your own country does NOT mean it is not civilised. I really tire of stupid and ignorant comments like this. Do you even know what the word 'civilised' actually means?

I used the word "civilised " in the same way as the poster to whom I was replying...... I should have put the word into Quotes.

Its always strange that the slightest accident with " a train " here in Thailand and everybody is quick to shine the spotlight on how bad the trains safety are here.Just so some of you know that " travelling by train " here in Thailand is still officially " the safest way to travel in Thailand " ( apart from flying ) There are bus crashes everyday on the roads and people on motorbikes and minibuses killed " by the hour " here in Thailand.

Travelling by train is still your safest option !!!

Casey Jones thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

A pretty nasty way to go, RIP fella. Respects to his family especially considering what day it is.

I often open the door and sit on those stairs when the train is moving, it is fresher and not as hot and cramped, I must admit it is pretty silly and I could have fallen out a few times I guess. For people just going to the toilet or moving in between carriages, there should be more strict health and safety because I can see how it easy to get knocked and trip out of those doors.

So you're not allowed to smile within 50m of a body?

I think anyone who has empathy in such a situation would not be smiling. It's an absolute tragedy losing a husband/father like that on holiday and in such a way.

So very sad and NO I'm not smiling RIP

Does binjalin realise that Buddhists view death differently to christians? Yes Dave, it is Thainess.

Have you considered the possibility that your view of the world is not the only way to view death?

I have been to a few Thai funerals and have seen even the closest of family (to the deceased) smiling and sometimes even laughing as they remember their loved ones. Do you realise that they consider their time on earth to be a brief stopover on their journey to paradise? Would they not be justified in being happy that their loved ones are now in paradise and have escaped the pain and struggle of this world?

I think that anyone who has empathy (unlike binjalin who has shown no empathy) might consider that how others behave is totally appropriate to their culture. Not everyone in the world thinks like you. Open your mind and show some real empathy.

And even if binjalin wants to be closed-minded and think everyone should be judged by their own western christian standards, are you aware that it has been proven by psychologists and psychiatrists that laughing or smiling can be a nervous reaction to stress?

Edited by raybal5
  • Like 2

This is not about lack of Thai safety standards.

But a combination of the victim not being aware and his adventurous spirit!!

When you bungy-jump, you take risks!!

Yes we all have to be careful, but please do not make Thailand into another boring western nanny state!!

• Like 1

Ouch. Bet that hurt.

One must be careful on the trains, it's easy to slip or trip.

May he rest in peace....an awful thing for his family to witness.

"Ouch. Bet that hurt". The insensitivity of this statement nullifies the rest of the post. Imagine the family of the man reading the post.

There is little humour to be found in the pain, suffering and misadventure of others.

RIP Dear Man.

"Think, Think, Think".

• Like 1