Thai Constitution drafters plan for 200 senators

webfact

Constitution drafters plan for 200 senators
By Digital Content

14194856444632-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 25 -- The Constitution Drafting Committee is planning for the next Senate with 200 members and authority to check the backgrounds of minister nominees.

Khamnoon Sitthisaman, committee spokesman, said the panel reached a consensus that 200 senators would be indirectly elected from five groups from the public.

They are the group of former members of the executive, the judiciary and the legislature, the group of former key government officials like former armed forces chiefs and former permanent secretaries, the group of chairpersons at legalized professional organizations such as the Thai Chamber of Commerce and the Federation of Thai Industries, a group of people's organizations and the group of various professional organizations.

Mr Khamnoon said that senators would retain their authority to propose laws and remove the prime minister, ministers, House representatives, Senators and heads of government offices but the removal would require a majority vote of the House and the Senate.

Drafters plan to authorize senators to examine the profiles of minister nominees before the prime minister submits their list for royal approval.

Senators will also be empowered to check and publicize the moral profiles of heads of government organizations. The drafters have not concluded the senators' terms of office.

Mr Khamnoon added that under the new charter draft House representatives would nominate the prime minister and the House speaker would submit the name to His Majesty the King for approval.

The prime minister was not required to be a House representative in case of any political deadlock, he said.

On Wednesday, the CDC resolved that a total of 450 MPs will be elected under the new charter, with 250 of them to be drawn from constituencies and 200 others coming from the party-list system, according to its spokesman Gen Lertrat Ratanavanich. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-12-25

This the basis for eternal dictatorship and eternal injustice.

A bunch of billionaires appointed by the elite to overrun any will of the majority of Thai people.

Myanmar looks like a beacon of freedom and democracy compared to Thailand.

Edited by max72
  • Like 1

Did I read this correctly. The senators will have power to remove the prime minister. but only if it is approved by the house of the Senate.

Does mean they can make laws and remove the prime minister, but they must be approved by themselves? Please someone enlighten me.

"...200 senators would be indirectly elected from five groups from the public."

Going from half the Senate unelected in the 2007 Constitution to the entire Senate unelected. What a surprise.

Going from a FULL ELECTED Senate in 1997 Constitution to a half elected Senate in the undemocratic putchist Constitution of 2007 to a completely appointed Senate in the 2015 "Eternal and Absolute Dictatorship" Constitution .

Edited by max72
  • Like 1

Did I read this correctly. The senators will have power to remove the prime minister. but only if it is approved by the house of the Senate.

Does mean they can make laws and remove the prime minister, but they must be approved by themselves? Please someone enlighten me.

They will do whatever they want regardless of the government in charge which will count absolutely ZERO.

Absolute and eternal dictatorship for the land of misery, suffering, violence and corruption.

Welcome to the tenth world, much worse than the worst African dictatorship.

Edited by max72

looks like part of the system will be the 'fake democracy' part where the unwashed get to vote.

This will be held up as 'participatory'

The rest of the system looks like it will be designed to keep this part under control...

The so-called 'Thai-style' democracy.

Or, just, ... not democracy...

The fix is in!

Just in case anyone was starting to think that the reform committee was actually an independent organization, this latest reform is straight from the junta blueprint handed out on the first day of office.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/127327/thai-juntas-blueprint-for-political-reforms/

This article discusses "joint seating", whereby the Senate and House are combined for some types of votes. Given 200 appointed Senate votes, and 450 House votes, for a total of 650, the major decisions can be controlled with as little as 125 seats in the House (125 + 200 = 1/2 of total votes). The Democrats, or a Junta party, only require 27% of House seats to keep control. But, from all outward appearance, a democratic system. However, I think the world will not be fooled.

• Like 1

It really warms the cockles on my heart to read all the constructive comments here. All those wonderful, selfless posters who only want the best for Thailand. Please excuse me for a moment, I have to pink away a tear

The fix is in!

Just in case anyone was starting to think that the reform committee was actually an independent organization, this latest reform is straight from the junta blueprint handed out on the first day of office.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/127327/thai-juntas-blueprint-for-political-reforms/

This article discusses "joint seating", whereby the Senate and House are combined for some types of votes. Given 200 appointed Senate votes, and 450 House votes, for a total of 650, the major decisions can be controlled with as little as 125 seats in the House (125 + 200 = 1/2 of total votes). The Democrats, or a Junta party, only require 27% of House seats to keep control. But, from all outward appearance, a democratic system. However, I think the world will not be fooled.

Apart from not final, you simply assume lots of things about the Senate.

Did you read the topic?

"... 200 senators would be indirectly elected from five groups from the public. They are the group of former members of the executive, the judiciary and the legislature, ..."

Now if we get some info on how that 'indirect election' works, we can comment a bit more. I'm somewhat sceptical about this, but keep in mind that the educational and knowledge / experience requirements on Senate Candidates have always been (much) higher than on simple MP candidates.

• Like 2

It really warms the cockles on my heart to read all the constructive comments here. All those wonderful, selfless posters who only want the best for Thailand. Please excuse me for a moment, I have to pink away a tear

What always surprises me is how some people seem to think that what is going on here is the best for ALL of thailand, not just a small, select group.

It's done for the best of all Thai, but how it works out is a different matter. If this government with the reforms ends up succeeding to please a small, select group only we have a problem.

We need Education reform for sure. To teach respect while questioning all.

Bad move this party list thing, can only end up with all sorts of unelectable riff raff in there.

We saw a great example of this in the previous administration where the red leaders were given positions as MP's, out on bail on serious criminal charges, no experience in politics and nothing to offer the country, wonderful roll models,

Yeah, people pointing out that the government is heading in the wrong direction; what's constructive about that? Telling people to be patient and give the junta a chance, and to look for the bright side on its every move, now that's constructive.

Come to think of it, what's constructive about your post?

• Like 1

Bad move this party list thing, can only end up with all sorts of unelectable riff raff in there.

We saw a great example of this in the previous administration where the red leaders were given positions as MP's, out on bail on serious criminal charges, no experience in politics and nothing to offer the country, wonderful roll models,

Robby I think its a smart twisted move from whoever wants to give the real power to the Senate... Weakens the House and brings the effective majority to the ill appointed Senate....

Going from half the Senate unelected in the 2007 Constitution to the entire Senate unelected. What a surprise.

Not only that, but it seems this unelected body will get quite a bit of more power.

The next elections could bring in a government that is seriously limited in their powers, democracy junta style.

The Senate is an oversight instituion, not a law maker

I think it is a good idea and will stop the convicted criminal in Dubai running the country from afar. As soon as they realise he is pulling the strings, the PM will be kicked out. If only Thailand had this system before it would have saved them several trillion baht.

Yeah, people pointing out that the government is heading in the wrong direction; what's constructive about that? Telling people to be patient and give the junta a chance, and to look for the bright side on its every move, now that's constructive.

Come to think of it, what's constructive about your post?

As I wrote, I really welcome all the well meaning constructive comments, the well founded and formulated reasoning why something is good or bad.

Thank you for showing how it shouldn't be done.

Not only that, but it seems this unelected body will get quite a bit of more power.

The next elections could bring in a government that is seriously limited in their powers, democracy junta style.

Can you already explain to us here what "indirectly elected" means ? To understand that makes it easier to comment.

Can you already explain to us here what "indirectly elected" means ? To understand that makes it easier to comment.

Why would I need to explain, it is stated in the article. They are not going to be elected by the electorate but from five groups. They even mentioned the relevant groups.

It is clear that the senate gets more power, and it is clear that the Thai electorate as such has no direct or indirect involvement in electing the senators.

Very bad idea, but from the junta's perspective an ideal situation, as they now created a back door to circumvent the Thai electorate without the need for a coup and a charter rewrite.

• Like 1

From the Bangkok Post, they describe this as candidates selected by a "professionals council" and and then selected by the people. So, the same as Hong Kong - you get to vote from a small group of the "right" people.

And this is only for one out of five pools - the remaining four pools would be appointed. One of the pools is former military, and the other is former prime ministers.

Seems like enough to fully stack the deck - and then complete the fix by giving much more power to the senate.

Have they been given enough time to show their true intentions? Can we start to critize now,or just wait until the fix is fully locked in and then it will be too late?

• Like 1

Why would I need to explain, it is stated in the article. They are not going to be elected by the electorate but from five groups. They even mentioned the relevant groups.

It is clear that the senate gets more power, and it is clear that the Thai electorate as such has no direct or indirect involvement in electing the senators.

Very bad idea, but from the junta's perspective an ideal situation, as they now created a back door to circumvent the Thai electorate without the need for a coup and a charter rewrite.

Since not even you know what 'indirect election' means all your ranting based on nothing is just some more hot air.