Koh Tao murder trial rescheduled

Lite Beer

I haven't heard much about this story recently.

Did the two chaps actually get bail until the July hearing? The OP says the Burmese Government were prepared to pay for it.

If they did, they should be doing more to raise awareness and protest their innocence. Can't see that the army would allow bail in case that were to happen.

No bail.

The case isn't being heard in a military court.

I think when KevWaters mentioned the army ("Can't see that the army would allow bail in case that were to happen.") he may have been alluding to the military men who have taken charge of Thailand, and therefore taken charge of many prominent goings-on in Thailand, which include (at least partially) the reverberations from the crime. The military PM himself has commented several times on the case.

And, yes; no bail. Lest anyone not be apprised: bail was offered by Burmese gov't (which is, in itself, highly unusual) - and, as we know, was abruptly turned down. Burmese gov't officials were also ready to vouch for the B2, should bail be granted, and that too was squashed in a Bangkok minute. One country's leaders were diplomatically rude - you get one guess, which one.

Boomerangutang, do you know the Thai expression, Thai mung? It means a crowd of onlookers, it's a Thai pastime, I have no axe to grind in this case, the Burmese could well be innocent, but to assume the crowd's lack of palpable anger means no one thinks the Burmese are guilty is a jump in logic imo.

I guess your not Thai are you.

2 of my wife's friends came back from there at xmas and there thoughts are, everybody knows it was not those lads, but everyone afraid. if they speak then the can be dead. cannot stay on Koh Tao. So they keep quite.

After 20 odd years listening to the Thai's I would probably go along with them than your version. Also the re enactment was in broad daylight not 3am. Nigh on everyone on the Island is suffering from the drop in tourism and I have seen many many times when they attack the suspects. Especially if it affects them and their livelihood.

Anyway that my take on it.

Couple that with the RTP chief denying the UK MPS the right to verify and investigate the case, speaks volumes. Its the opposite of what you would expect from a country that cares about tourism and their global appearance to would be travellers. But then I guess they thought it would just get buried in the news and forgotten. Unfortunately for them it will not.

Families will be attending. Despite their initial thoughts that they have the correct people as they find the strength to examine the case through their assistant's translating they will see the same flaws that we have.

I have no version of this crime loonodingle, my reference to 3.00 am was to point out that few would have witnessed the crime,nothing to do with re-enactment time.

But hopefully there were some witnesses, and although it's an awfully long time before trial, it does give the defence team sufficient time to gather witnesses and evidence for their defence. Hopefully everything will be revealed in July.

• Like 1

If anyone is considering visiting the Samui prison, here's a URL with some info from SamuiTimes.com

an excerpt:

"Samui Prison visiting times are on Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Morning visits are 9am-12noon, and afternoon visits from 1pm to 3pm. You will need your passport and the inmate’s name. If you have their surname and prison number, that’s great, but it is possible to visit with a first name only. You can hand in (up to) 3kgs. (care package) This includes one book and food bought from the stalls on the ring road. No fruit allowed here (buy at the outer prison counter) but rice, thai food, bread rolls, cheese and ham are all ok."

• Like 1

rockingrobin, on 21 Feb 2015 - 14:15, said:rockingrobin, on 21 Feb 2015 - 14:15, said:rockingrobin, on 21 Feb 2015 - 14:15, said:

Some missing pieces concern the crimescene, what happened between the murders being discovered at 6:30 and the attendance of the forensics. e.g there are crime scene photos of Hannahs face covered and uncovered

As far as we know, the first people on the scene after the bodies were discovered were the island "rescue team" and the local plod, all overseen by Mon. He is pictured at the scene when the bodies are still in situ. According to Sean McAnna, the forensics people didn't arrive for 20 hours. The bodies must have been removed well before then, surely? The crime scene photos could only have been taken by the locals, well before forensics got there.

Edited by IslandLover

boomerangutang, on 21 Feb 2015 - 14:55, said:

If anyone is considering visiting the Samui prison, here's a URL with some info from SamuiTimes.com

an excerpt:

"Samui Prison visiting times are on Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Morning visits are 9am-12noon, and afternoon visits from 1pm to 3pm. You will need your passport and the inmate’s name. If you have their surname and prison number, that’s great, but it is possible to visit with a first name only. You can hand in (up to) 3kgs. (care package) This includes one book and food bought from the stalls on the ring road. No fruit allowed here (buy at the outer prison counter) but rice, thai food, bread rolls, cheese and ham are all ok."

If anyone does intend to visit Win and Zaw perhaps they should ask the advice of Andy Hall on what to take beforehand. He can be contacted here:

https://www.facebook.com/andy.hall.3110

rockingrobin, on 21 Feb 2015 - 14:15, said:

Some missing pieces concern the crimescene, what happened between the murders being discovered at 6:30 and the attendance of the forensics. e.g there are crime scene photos of Hannahs face covered and uncovered

Going back to the infamous superimposed CCTV still, is this person carrying the towel that was used to cover Hannah's face? Unfortunately the original CCTV still has never been released and there is no timestamp so it's impossible to know the context of this photo.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-use-superimposition-technique-used-to-ident-30243922.html

post-222707-0-37169400-1424539702_thumb.

rockingrobin, on 21 Feb 2015 - 14:15, said:

Going back to the infamous superimposed CCTV still, is this person carrying the towel that was used to cover Hannah's face? Unfortunately the original CCTV still has never been released and there is no timestamp so it's impossible to know the context of this photo.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-use-superimposition-technique-used-to-ident-30243922.html

attachicon.gif30243922-01_big.jpg

My answer would be, if someone was in such a hurry he couldn't take a second to put a t-shirt on why would he bother to pick up a towel ?

berybert, on 21 Feb 2015 - 18:51, said:
IslandLover, on 21 Feb 2015 - 18:28, said:
rockingrobin, on 21 Feb 2015 - 14:15, said:rockingrobin, on 21 Feb 2015 - 14:15, said:

attachicon.gif30243922-01_big.jpg

My answer would be, if someone was in such a hurry he couldn't take a second to put a t-shirt on why would he bother to pick up a towel ?

Maybe because he knew that when he got to where he was going, he would need it (the towel). He doesn't look like he is hurrying in this image either.

The towel seems like a dead end, but the comment below from the linked article once again shows that the police suddenly backed off from their certainty and changed course in their investigation around Sept. 23.

"Police would also summon others who had left Ko Tao for additional questioning. The case should be closed in a few days because police have enough witnesses and evidence, Gen Panya said."

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

Maybe the refusal to submit CCTV wasn't to shield any potential perps but to cover up some other dealings on the premises wink.png

While a possibility, it is less likely that e.g. drug traffic is unknown or unwelcome by RTP being paid to ignore. And it would be pretty daft to carry out deals in full view of CCTV.

Whatever, if the B2 weren't captured on camera at the crime scene, there's no filmed evidence of their presence.

Why is it that this man has to date as far as I am aware never been identified?

Or perhaps he has been identified.

Possibly though certain parties with a vested interest may have suppressed the evidence and the person concerned is either unaware of being identified or has been ''politely instructed'' to keep a low profile.

One is led to wonder whether the lass who seems to with him is a local girl or working girl who has been shipped off of the island or may have been paid off or simply'' vanished ?''

• Like 1

I find it interesting that foreigner and run man seem to be leaving the crime at the same time in at 4.51.

Then they are both out and about at the same time an hour later at 5.41 and 5.46.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1424406267747.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-223227-0-47481400-1419906699.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-223227-0-88894700-1419906585.jpgattachicon.gifpost-155768-0-37866300-1418771831.jpg

good observation! GC, you're the go-to person for photos and timeline. I hope the defense is looking at such things half as closely as you are. Months ago, I would have hoped investigators were also looking at such items closely, but have long since given up on them (both Thai and Brit experts) as willing (or able) to lift a finger toward finding clues leading to the actual murderers and rapists - who, by all reasonable assessments, still roam free.

To address your Q: it is interesting why the heavy-set bearded guy is considered a non-factor by investigators. Similar to how Sean is discounted in a similar way. 'Out of sight, out of mind' is the investigators' mantra.

• Like 2

With Regards to Sean in comment above. I would put my house up in a bet he knows something. To vague in his answer. An identical injury to David. He has been hanging around the forums. Whisked of the island as soon as he mentioned who done it. The whole thing stinks like my wife's B.. lah. . Fishy stuff.