Most friendly region/province in Thailand?

shane

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cambodia, Laos

Republic of Ireland then .

Too expensive, cold and the food is so so, but the people are pleasant.

At least the beer is good...

I'd also vote on Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai.. however I've had ties to Chaiyaphum for the past 11 years. It has 100% of what I need & 80% of what I want.

The other 20% I can live without until I am somewhere that has it.

A good many years ago I had several friends who lived in Pattaya and loved it. I don't think it would be for me, but they said it was very different when you live there. I'm fond of the Northeast, because that was where my first wife was from. For some reason I really liked Khorat, but it was changing back in the '90s and I have no idea if I would like it now. It was getting very big, busy, and noisy. I've visited my nephew-in-law's parents in Chiang Rai (outside town) and haven't seen it to be very friendly, but that's probably just me. In order to socialize I need to be able to walk. Probably living in town, in easy walking distance of a place to play snooker would be better for me. I'm living in Nakhon Sawan right now, which is considered Central Thailand (Chao Phraya valley). I like it here, but that's because my second wife's family takes care of me. The think I like about Nakhon Sawan is that it's small enough to only have one department store, but basically has anything a farang would need. Oh, almost forgot. I spent a couple of days in Hat Yai a couple of times about twenty years ago and found the place friendly enough. Probably because they're so dependent on tourism, but I found people easy to strike up a conversation with.

. The Roads are Packed and try to go to The Mall on a weekend, Not so nice...btw there is a lot of people in Korat it's a Big Town.

I'd also vote on Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai.. however I've had ties to Chaiyaphum for the past 11 years. It has 100% of what I need & 80% of what I want.

The other 20% I can live without until I am somewhere that has it.

Chaiyaphum, I heard it was an Ugly Town, not to Nice, I live outside Korat, and have avoided going, is it a nice city, what do you like there, il visit if positive feedback, Thx

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cambodia, Laos

. And it's Good Craic, I had a Great Time living there, Great Social life in Dublin, but Expensive, Now

Cambodia, Laos

. And it's Good Craic, I had a Great Time living there, Great Social life in Dublin, but Expensive, Now

Not sure that I would want to go to the 5 Muslim terrorist provinces where 6,000 people have been killed during the past 12 years of war.

5 muslim terrorist provinces!!! Wow !! So basically nearly 2 million people down south are considered terrorists in your opinion? My friend ... Get the full picture of what is happening down south then come and talk, thats a different discussion though.

Thank you. To label the five southern provinces as such is ignorant at best, and positively hostile and hateful at worst. It is a bit like saying all Muslims are terrorists. Some of us open minded individuals know that could not be further from the truth. Most Muslims I have met are kind, and do not sympathize with the pigs such as the ISIS gang rapists, Al Queda dipshits, or Taliban coward turds.

• Like 1

Not Phuket, full of Russians! One could add Pattaya to the list for the same reason!

Reconsider both locations due to the Russian economy problems, a lot of Russians are defaulting on their housing.

Also, both locations are excellent expat communities.

NOTE -- a good investment to purchase as they are desperate to get something before they loose it to the bank.

Edited by lcp0761

Not sure that I would want to go to the 5 Muslim terrorist provinces where 6,000 people have been killed during the past 12 years of war.

5 muslim terrorist provinces!!! Wow !! So basically nearly 2 million people down south are considered terrorists in your opinion? My friend ... Get the full picture of what is happening down south then come and talk, thats a different discussion though.

Thank you. To label the five southern provinces as such is ignorant at best, and positively hostile and hateful at worst. It is a bit like saying all Muslims are terrorists. Some of us open minded individuals know that could not be further from the truth. Most Muslims I have met are kind, and do not sympathize with the pigs such as the ISIS gang rapists, Al Queda dipshits, or Taliban coward turds.

i doubt thats what he meant at all. he simply points out that there is an inordinate amount of violence perpetrated by muslim terrorists and as such could be considered dangerous

wrong. it was the silly claim that he said all muslims were terrorists that i was addressing. but keep moving those goalposts pal, it looks good on ya.

Wrong? There was nothing silly about the claim. This is what you quoted ... note the bit about the five southern provinces. Not three and a bit.

"To label the five southern provinces as such is ignorant at best, and positively hostile and hateful at worst. It is a bit like saying all Muslims are terrorists."

Now now yindee and jaydee, most terrorists are muslims.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Isaan, Nong Khai, Seka,... Northeast, Nice not to many Farang

And the irony is.....if the OP decides to settle in the Northeast because there are not too many farang, he will be contributing to the destruction of the very thing he went there for.

The numbers of murders and other atrocities in the South don't lie, as for Don he is talking about his experience.

"Despicable acts, but I am gob smacked that some have chosen to tar a whole religion with this. I have a number of Muslim friends, and they certainly don't condone this type of act."

Anyway, I think you'll find Don was attempting to impose his American ways on the local Muslims a bit before the current troubles got underway.

Edited by rajyindee

Indeed, but being all nice and diplomatic doesn't that help the op much. rolleyes.gif As in my example, it has to be said, people, in general, differ from region to region and with Songkhla/Hat Yai (as the op found out), there is an obvious aggressive undertone and aversion to outsiders.

I've lived in Hat Yai/Songkhla for 8 years and never had an issue with the locals. They might not suffer fools gladly, but that's no bad thing

I have lived in Hatyai for three years and had loads of issues with the local. My Thai wife shares the idea that Songkhla, especially Hatyai, people are the 'worst' and least welcoming in Thailand. They don't even like 'other' Thais.

You might be right. Those good muslims might not symphatize with terrorsits, but they don't condemn them either.

So you 2 guys will stop bad mouthing each other I threw Phuket in as number 5 as I had been terrorized by the Muslims there off and on for 10 years. I know what the Thai Santi Baan told them to stop. This should be classified as a neighborhood rather than as a province by me. I will exclude those other parts of Phuket that I did not live in. In 1997 Sai Yuan road had nothing but Muslims on it from south Chalong to Nai Harn Beach. I was the first non Muslim business on the road which is about 3-4 km long. Now the entire street is covered with girly bars and hundreds of slop shops and shop houses. In 17 years Rawai has turned from a decent place to what you see now. A big issue that the did not like was a lot of heave barbecued pork smoke filling the air and their bed rooms at night. Religiously there was no way they could clear this with out doing away with me. As any good Christian would do, I fought back and won. This may be the only case in history where a Christian has won like this.

With respect to the other 4 southern provinces in the south where the slaughtering goes on I still would find it hard for me to live under those conditions. For sure I would not have the balls to put up a pork barbecue place near a mosque like I did before.

I only judge people not their religion, however I was dealing with a religion. We had one case in 1998 where a farang at Don's Cafe decided to lecture one on how to drive in areas where children were playing. About 15 minutes later a mob with guns and knives came along and I could see a massacre ready to take place. Billy Odel's wife addressed the mob and talked them into going home. Business went to shit that night. Billy still lives in Phuket and am sure he remembers how close he came to getting killed. He got out of this by convincing his wife that he thought it was one of the old Germans living there.

It is not my place to judge any religion and as long as they leave me alone I can accept it. Much of the trouble I had occurred in 2001 after 9/11.

If you are happy living in one of the 4 southern provinces that the Thai Army can not control then I wish you good health and good luck.

This will be my last response to this issue. You two guys can still carry on your pissing contest.

I WILL NEVER LIVE IN A MUSLIM CONTROLLED AREA AGAIN! LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Rarely I can be &lt;deleted&gt; reading a couple paragraphs on here.

Yours I did.

You might be right. Those good muslims might not symphatize with terrorsits, but they don't condemn them either.

I remember during the 70s/80s/90s in the UK, lots of folk used the same (flawed) argument to attempt to justify their bigotry towards the Irish.

• Like 1

i have found Khon Kaen the most friendly and Hua Hin the least but i haven't been everywhere. but personally i wouldn't consider friendliness the main factor in deciding where to live. i love living in Phuket but no one would call it friendly.

Khon Kaen was a lot friendlier 10-20 years ago, but still the best for me.

Mahasarakham or Roi Et are now what KK used to be.

Nowhere down South.

Lopburi/Singburi/Saraburi very friendly and most beautiful girls,

Chiang Mai/Rai, too many old farang but friendly Thais.

Nong kai is nice.

Chaiapoom

Sukhothai.

• Like 2

i have found Khon Kaen the most friendly and Hua Hin the least but i haven't been everywhere. but personally i wouldn't consider friendliness the main factor in deciding where to live. i love living in Phuket but no one would call it friendly.

Nowhere down South.

Nong kai is nice.

Chaiapoom

Sukhothai.

what is wrong with old farang?

Nowhere down South.

Nong kai is nice.

Chaiapoom

Sukhothai.

Sorry I should have said retired farang.

Nowhere down South.

Nong kai is nice.

Chaiapoom

Sukhothai.

same question, whats wrong with them?

Nowhere down South.

Nong kai is nice.

Chaiapoom

Sukhothai.

Nothing if you are one but for me I have another 20 years.

Sorry I should have just said too many farangs but many are elderly in Chiang Mai, as it happens.

Don't ask me what is wrong with farang!

Nowhere down South.

Nong kai is nice.

Chaiapoom

Sukhothai.

Nothing if you are one but for me I have another 20 years.

Sorry I should have just said too many farangs but many are elderly in Chiang Mai, as it happens.

Don't ask me what is wrong with farang!

i wont. i was just determining that you hate them all equally. i'll remember that in any future threads.

I remember during the 70s/80s/90s in the UK, lots of folk used the same (flawed) argument to attempt to justify their bigotry towards the Irish.

Would that be bigotry to ALL Irish - or just those who were blowing up places like Birmingham ?