What's the Best reasonably priced Cheddar in Makro?

Soi Sauce

Could you define "reasonable" with an amount in bahts?

Basically, nowhere near the amounts charged in Villa and TOPS, for summat with a good medium to strong taste.

Oh, not very helpful for those of us who don't patronize those places.

anchor 2kilo block freezes well and its not expensive.

Good value but not very tasty.

Mainland 'TASTY' literally is the best flavour. Vintage is OK but you only get 200g for the same price as 250g of Tasty. Same with the Swiss - 200g.

I think I paid 165 Baht last week.

Off topic but the Danish Blue from Makro in the clingfilm wrapped packs is extremely tasty. About 550/580 Baht per kilo from memory.

• Like 2

Here is a link below that might prove helpful I find the products excellent.

I personally have found the cheeses mentioned above are all of decent quality in both Tops and Villa as well as Foodland,

I shop for quality and taste as I want it and not based on cost.

Live rich , die poor.

http://www.cheesethailand.com/

• Like 1

Mainland 'TASTY' literally is the best flavour. Vintage is OK but you only get 200g for the same price as 250g of Tasty. Same with the Swiss - 200g.

Off topic but the Danish Blue from Makro in the clingfilm wrapped packs is extremely tasty. About 550/580 Baht per kilo from memory.

I've got some Mainland Vintage in my fridge. It is 250 g not 200 g.

• Like 1

Not so Jip.

Vintage comes in 250gm blocks. Always has been and still is. Aroi mak mak!

Does any one know if any of these Cheddars have a similar taste to the Extra Strong Cheddar you can buy in some UK supermarkets ?

Does any one know if any of these Cheddars have a similar taste to the Extra Strong Cheddar you can buy in some UK supermarkets ?

Try the Mainland Epicure, that's the one that comes in 200 g blocks. Very strong-tasting and delicious. Aged for 36 months instead of 24 months for the Vintage.

• Like 1

There is a large block of Cheddar Cheese at Macro, about 600bht for about 2kgs, but it is rather benign I am told, little taste, but good for toppings on dishes etc and sandwiches, but not for savouring the excellent taste. I have not tried it yet so cannot comment on taste, only relay what I am told.

anchor 2 kilo block from Makro last week was 739 baht, gone up again...

the ARO brand is about 100 baht cheaper, the Edam also had gone up 799 baht..

prices appear to go up and down a lot....... anywhere between 600 - 750 baht, as for me is over 100 km to drive to Makro just pay the price on the day.

As Meatboy Post 2 say's freezes OK, but better is what my Mother used to do in the 50's before fridge and freezers. [only not with cling wrap but greaseproof paper]

make butter soft, cut cheese into blocks the size you want, brush on melted butter, seal in cling wrap, find it fine for 6 months in the fridge [normal all gone within 6 months]

Edited by ignis
  • Like 2

Not so Jip.

Vintage comes in 250gm blocks. Always has been and still is. Aroi mak mak!

The one that comes in a 200 gm pack is their Epicure Cheddar. Saw it last week for the first time. Same price as the Vintage but a smaller pack.

• Like 1

prices appear to go up and down a lot....... anywhere between 600 - 750 baht, as for me is over 100 km to drive to Makro just pay the price on the day.

As Meatboy Post 2 say's freezes OK, but better is what my Mother used to do in the 50's before fridge and freezers. [only not with cling wrap but greaseproof paper]

make butter soft, cut cheese into blocks the size you want, brush on melted butter, seal in cling wrap, find it fine for 6 months in the fridge [normal all gone within 6 months]

I've got a 2 kilo block in the fridge, the use by date is 22 Aug 2015. So good for 9 months

I've got a 2 kilo block in the fridge, the use by date is 22 Aug 2015. So good for 9 months

yes but once you open the sealed pack it starts to go green/black with mould fairly quickly, that is the problem

Guess if you had a food sealer would be good... found even with so say airtight boxes mould starts within weeks

Mainland from Australia, the Tasty or the Vintage.

170 Baht for 250g.

I have a block of MAINLAND infront of me as I type and it is from New zealand not ausy you guys are allways trying to steal the lime light and products that are not yours :)

yes but once you open the sealed pack it starts to go green/black with mould fairly quickly, that is the problem

Guess if you had a food sealer would be good... found even with so say airtight boxes mould starts within weeks

I use the zip lock bags, then place in an air tight container ☺

Danish edamer Emborg 1,8 kg 818 THB

Danish edamer ?

Wondering how many of my ancestors are rolling around in their grave right now by you posting this.

Surely its Dutch ?

It could be original Dutch. Emborg buys their stuff from all over EU; where it's cheapest!.

But the Mainland Edam & Gouda for sure does not taste like the original.

I just had some mainland 36 months and it's good. If you live in BKK PARAGON has some aged Scottish sharp cheddar and even though it's behind the counter it was 200 something baht only. First time I tried Scottiish cheese. Yummy. I remember not that many years ago good cheese was extremely hard to find here. If it continued I think I could never last the winter. I know Thai people who can't even walk into the cheese room at the Hilton and find it pretty funny.

Mainland from Australia, the Tasty or the Vintage.

170 Baht for 250g.

I have a block of MAINLAND infront of me as I type and it is from New zealand not ausy you guys are allways trying to steal the lime light and products that are not yours smile.png

Isn't NZ an outer suburb of Sydney ?

Cheese and good cheddar at that is very important but from my experience there isn't all that much to chose from. OP should just go to Marko [buy a membership if need be] and try a few in order to find one to his taste both on the palate and the pocket.

• Like 1