What's the Best reasonably priced Cheddar in Makro?

Soi Sauce

Danish edamer Emborg 1,8 kg 818 THB

Danish edamer ?

Wondering how many of my ancestors are rolling around in their grave right now by you posting this.

Surely its Dutch ?

It could be original Dutch. Emborg buys their stuff from all over EU; where it's cheapest!.

But the Mainland Edam & Gouda for sure does not taste like the original.

I thought the name "Edammer" was a reserved name as Edam is a location in the Netherlands. (close to where I lived)

I agree the stuff does not taste as good as back home. I just get my parents to send me KG's of cheese vacuum sealed from the cheese factory near my former home. (might be a bit more expensive but I get the real thing)

• Like 2

Mainland from Australia, the Tasty or the Vintage.

170 Baht for 250g.

I have a block of MAINLAND infront of me as I type and it is from New zealand not ausy you guys are allways trying to steal the lime light and products that are not yours smile.png

Isn't NZ an outer suburb of Sydney ?

Sub Island ?

170 Baht for 250g.

"Mainland" gets a thumbs up from me too. I bought a 200g block of the 'Epicure' variant in Tops (Ubon) a week ago. Think it was about 189baht - a handful of baht more than the 'Tasty' and 'Vintage' which also came in 200g packs there. 170 baht for 250g at Makro is a good price then.

Half a block made a really excellent cheese sauce (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cheesesauce_1299) to go over the veggies with my Thai family Christmas Turkey meal and plenty of sauce left over for the fridge. They loved it amazingly - think it it was the best I've made (first they've eaten) and an easy recipe. There's nothing worse than going to all the trouble of making a sauce up from raw to find it is bland as buggeryrolleyes.gif.

Now, just need to buy a decent bottle of red and some "Jacobs" crackers to polish off the other half block. Prefer "Carrs" water biscuits (I was dragged up in Carlisle where the "little cracker packers at the biscuit works" do their magic. They make a fine cracker too, but haven't seen them in these parts.

My block was made in NZ. Are you an Ozzie trying to steal credit from your neighbours and betters Briggsy? Edit: already picked up

Edited by SantiSuk

I've got some Mainland Vintage in my fridge. It is 250 g not 200 g.

Does any one know if any of these Cheddars have a similar taste to the Extra Strong Cheddar you can buy in some UK supermarkets ?

Try the Mainland Epicure, that's the one that comes in 200 g blocks. Very strong-tasting and delicious. Aged for 36 months instead of 24 months for the Vintage.

Thanks - don't suppose you know where it can be bought in Pattaya? (apologies if answered already in one of the posts).

This guy sells cheese @ 140b for 250 gm..

CHEESES (250GM)

TASTY CHEDDAR................................130BAHT

FARMHOUSE CHEDDAR.......MATURE.....140BAHT

RED LEICESTER.................MATURE.....140BAHT

LANCASHIRE.....................MATURE.....140BAHT

PEPPERJACK......................MATURE.....140BAHT

he sells just about everything else never bought from him but i know a few that have ,

http://nookiesdelights.3baht.net/products.htm

Anchor New Zealand Cheddar is the best compromise of cost and taste for me. Has a bit of a bite and not too expensive at around 750 baht for a 2 kg block. The next up from there is a sharper Cheddar but I think around 2700 baht for the block. I sometimes buy the 227 gm 18 month and 24 month sharp Cheddar for the excellent sharp taste and crunchy texture. This topic is all subjective of course.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've got some Mainland Vintage in my fridge. It is 250 g not 200 g.

Does any one know if any of these Cheddars have a similar taste to the Extra Strong Cheddar you can buy in some UK supermarkets ?

Try the Mainland Epicure, that's the one that comes in 200 g blocks. Very strong-tasting and delicious. Aged for 36 months instead of 24 months for the Vintage.

Thanks - don't suppose you know where it can be bought in Pattaya? (apologies if answered already in one of the posts).

Makro, North Pattaya, certainly had it last Wednesday.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Makro, North Pattaya, certainly had it last Wednesday.

Thanks I will have a look next time I am there.

Here is a link below that might prove helpful I find the products excellent.

I personally have found the cheeses mentioned above are all of decent quality in both Tops and Villa as well as Foodland,

I shop for quality and taste as I want it and not based on cost.

Live rich , die poor.

http://www.cheesethailand.com/

I went into Best Supermarket at the Dolphin Roundabout in Sin City today and saw cheeses from these guys. Nice sized one person portions were in stock for around 100 bht (Vac packed but priced according to weight) They had a Cheddar, Pepperjack and a Cheshire Blue in stock IIRC. Didn't get any as they had no fresh bread in (Jan 1) and the cracker selection was poor. Will plan better tomorrow with a visit to Big C for Carrs (they have 3 varieties) and then onto Best for the cheese.

The cheeses were labelled as Organic which had me wondering and there was very little info in either Thai or English on the packaging.

These guys also have a good reputation and appear at farmers markets in BKK.... http://www.heavenoncheese.com However it annoyingly opens up their facefook page.

• 1 month later...

170 Baht for 250g.

"Mainland" gets a thumbs up from me too. I bought a 200g block of the 'Epicure' variant in Tops (Ubon) a week ago. Think it was about 189baht - a handful of baht more than the 'Tasty' and 'Vintage' which also came in 200g packs there. 170 baht for 250g at Makro is a good price then.

Half a block made a really excellent cheese sauce (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cheesesauce_1299) to go over the veggies with my Thai family Christmas Turkey meal and plenty of sauce left over for the fridge. They loved it amazingly - think it it was the best I've made (first they've eaten) and an easy recipe. There's nothing worse than going to all the trouble of making a sauce up from raw to find it is bland as buggeryrolleyes.gif.

Now, just need to buy a decent bottle of red and some "Jacobs" crackers to polish off the other half block. Prefer "Carrs" water biscuits (I was dragged up in Carlisle where the "little cracker packers at the biscuit works" do their magic. They make a fine cracker too, but haven't seen them in these parts.

My block was made in NZ. Are you an Ozzie trying to steal credit from your neighbours and betters Briggsy? Edit: already picked up

Mainland cheese is now made in Australia and New Zealand.

170 Baht for 250g.

Mainland cheese is now made in Australia and New Zealand

.[/http://www.fonterrafoodservices.com.au/brand.php?id=3

Here is a link below that might prove helpful I find the products excellent.

I personally have found the cheeses mentioned above are all of decent quality in both Tops and Villa as well as Foodland,

I shop for quality and taste as I want it and not based on cost.

Live rich , die poor.

http://www.cheesethailand.com/

Nice website. I will look next time I go to Market.

That 2kilo loaf from Anchor is fine to cook with. Cheese burgers mac n cheese......Thats a great tip with butter and freezing. Also if you submerge your stick of butter in the fridge in water it will last for a very long time.

Our favourite cheddar at Makro has not been mentioned yet. Pauly brand from Wisconsin is a mild cheddar, 2.2kg for about 700 baht. Fine for sandwiches and cooking... not exactly a prime candidate for a nice cheese tray though! BTW their sister product Schreiber grated parmesan is a good value as well.

• Like 1