Riding safe in Thailand - what's a safe speed?

Gweiloman

Just back from a 10 day 3,000+ km ride, safe and sound, glad to say. Didn't check the forum much while on the road, was doing the next day's route planning instead.

I see the usual suspects are still active on this thread which is good as I believe this thread would be useful for riders new to Thailand roads.

My top registered speed on this ride was 163 kph, as recorded by my GPS. This was on the AH123 / Route 323 from Thang Pha Phum towards Kanchanaburi. Any of you who have ridden this road on a big bike will be laughing at how slowly I went. I reckon this must be the longest stretch of road where one can travel at a fairly brisk pace, safely.

@wilcopops - I appreciate your contribution to this thread but in all honesty, what are your "points"? You have countered me and at least one other poster for not replying to your "points". As far as I can recall, you made, 4 points - protective clothing, road conditions, emergency services and leaving behind loved ones. I had responded to all the above. Your other posts merely state that we are ignorant of safety and that you are a safety expert but you don't actually give any examples nor suggestions. I really would like to hear what your experience and studies have taught you.

no you haven't and you've made some very rash assumptions too.......

"Your other posts merely state that we are ignorant of safety and that you are a safety expert" - no they don't.\however this statement is lot more revealing about yourself than anyone else.

Why ask about me? it's the mesage that's important - as I said before.

Still have no idea what are your "points". Care to do us a favour and reply without deflection?

He is tantamount to a troll.; stop feeding him. He is too cautious to ride, has nothing to add to the subject at hand other than to tell everyone bikes are too dangerous, and probably just wants anyone getting pleasure out of riding to be a miserable gimp like himself...

There is a simple answer to the OP: a safe speed is that at which it is optimized to safety, comfort, surroundings and equipment. There is no finite "safe speed".

Edited by teutonian

Oh yes, and my little trip came to 4300 km and although I'm quite capable of exceeding 160, i don't because I have respect for the road, its users those who live nearby (including the wildlife) and the environment - I also have a generally considerate perspective on the lives of others.

Bet money it was in a car.

Now explain it's relevance in the Bikes in Thailand forum.

Losing it maybe ??

• Like 1

Just back from a 10 day 3,000+ km ride, safe and sound, glad to say. Didn't check the forum much while on the road, was doing the next day's route planning instead.

I see the usual suspects are still active on this thread which is good as I believe this thread would be useful for riders new to Thailand roads.

My top registered speed on this ride was 163 kph, as recorded by my GPS. This was on the AH123 / Route 323 from Thang Pha Phum towards Kanchanaburi. Any of you who have ridden this road on a big bike will be laughing at how slowly I went. I reckon this must be the longest stretch of road where one can travel at a fairly brisk pace, safely.

@wilcopops - I appreciate your contribution to this thread but in all honesty, what are your "points"? You have countered me and at least one other poster for not replying to your "points". As far as I can recall, you made, 4 points - protective clothing, road conditions, emergency services and leaving behind loved ones. I had responded to all the above. Your other posts merely state that we are ignorant of safety and that you are a safety expert but you don't actually give any examples nor suggestions. I really would like to hear what your experience and studies have taught you.

Oh yes, and my little trip came to 4300 km and although I'm quite capable of exceeding 160, i don't because I have respect for the road, its users those who live nearby (including the wildlife) and the environment - I also have a generally considerate perspective on the lives of others.

Wow! How many days did that take you on your 110cc step-through? And what mods have you done to it for it to be capable of exceeding 160? How about clothes? What sort of protective clothing were you wearing? Long sleeved T-shirt, denim jeans and tennis sneakers with socks?

Just asking as you had previously written "I got my first motorbike when I was 7 years old, and have been riding ever since....however in Thailand I limit my bike ownership to a 110cc step-through. The reasons?

one - I don't like riding unless I can wear full protective clothing. Although I could splash out on the latest carbon-fibre technology, the cost and other reasons add up to not getting involved."

gweiloman, you are just beating water in a mortar my friend:)

we can see who stands where here:)

clearly some see going over 160 kph is disrespecting others but it is just nature of riding a sport bike as you reach those speeds at second gear.

but for 110 cc stepthrough rider, those speeds might sound like light speed:)

Wow! How many days did that take you on your 110cc step-through? And what mods have you done to it for it to be capable of exceeding 160? How about clothes? What sort of protective clothing were you wearing? Long sleeved T-shirt, denim jeans and tennis sneakers with socks?

Just asking as you had previously written "I got my first motorbike when I was 7 years old, and have been riding ever since....however in Thailand I limit my bike ownership to a 110cc step-through. The reasons?

one - I don't like riding unless I can wear full protective clothing. Although I could splash out on the latest carbon-fibre technology, the cost and other reasons add up to not getting involved."

clearly some see going over 160 kph is disrespecting others but it is just nature of riding a sport bike as you reach those speeds at second gear.

Again puerile attitudes and assumptions.

BTW - I've made my points - if you aren'y able to follow it would explain some of the comments made on this thread...... big bikes my .............!!!!You remember the one about teaching your grandmother to such eggs?

it seems that some posters think that bikes are a special category unto themselves - no...they are just road users like anyone else - only some seem a it short on the grey matter and how it can be distributed by asphalt.

You are not an "island" you are part of the whole picture and as such have responsibilities - so why not stop being so childish, grow up and live up to them?

Edited by wilcopops

BTW - I've made my points - if you aren'y able to follow it would explain some of the comments made on this thread...... big bikes my .............!!!!You remember the one about teaching your grandmother to such eggs?

it seems that some posters think that bikes are a special category unto themselves - no...they are just road users like anyone else - only some seem a it short on the grey matter and how it can be distributed by asphalt.

You are not an "island" you are part of the whole picture and as such have responsibilities - so why not stop being so childish, grow up and live up to them?

Its ok mate mate we understand, that you've been brainwashed. Just remember you were born free and hopefully you will return to that. Unfortunately, right now you are nothing but a slave to the state or whatever government you call home. Let's hope one day you can break free. I pity you really.

• Like 2

Are you replying to ll2 or to me?

Also, are you capable of actually engaging in a debate and answering direct questions?

the only ridiculouse conclusion is that byou saw the scoot earlier in the vidoe and of coarse that has no bearing on truck enconter duuh.look at the 1.33 point and think about whose ridiculous.yes thoough the video is weell done.we can agreement to that.

Try not to loose the plot Mr. Thrills!! Ridiculous conclusions: 1. That I am a "riding buddy" of the guy in the video; and 2. That I condone his pace in that video; 3. That the proximity of the bike to the scooter earlier in the video somehow affects the situation between the bike and the truck. Those would be the definition of 'ridiculous conclusions' without basis in fact.

Regardless of how the rider got himself in that situation, do you have any comment, that actually relates to my post, on what, if anything, the rider could (or should) have done differently once he was in that position?

donnot get off a youre bike, mike.calm down.point [3] you say That the proximity of the bike to the scooter earlier in the video somehow affects the situation between the bike and the truck..look at 1.33 not earliey in the vid as you keep mistakenly drawing attenshen to but look at ONE MINUTE andTHIRTY THREE and you can inform me that this crazy outa control jo- doe didnot near take out the scooter when he at the last moments LUCKILY swerved around the pickup..are you kidden or blind he was just so LUCKY to miss the pickup and not hit the scooter.he was inches awy from that rider at a breakneck speed.LUCKY again.PS sorry for imsinuating youre a riding buddy,i would also deny knowing someone so out of control.other than that no much else to say isthere

Some of the exchanges here make me embarrassed to be part of this forum. Can't we keep it half civil?

I watched the video. Seems to me just another day at the office with fun and foresightful riding. I Didn't see any particular danger points here although in western countries this kind of weaving and passing might be considered aggressive. In Thailand other drivers don't mind being buzzed by bikes, and as a result tend to not move out of the way.

I would avoid driving far left. I prefer to have as much room to my left as possible. It gives me more time to react and usually keeps people approaching from the opposite direction from passing in my lane.

Two things I hate: u turns on highways and people passing against traffic on two lane roads.

Some of the exchanges here make me embarrassed to be part of this forum. Can't we keep it half civil?

I watched the video. Seems to me just another day at the office with fun and foresightful riding. I Didn't see any particular danger points here although in western countries this kind of weaving and passing might be considered aggressive. In Thailand other drivers don't mind being buzzed by bikes, and as a result tend to not move out of the way.

I would avoid driving far left. I prefer to have as much room to my left as possible. It gives me more time to react and usually keeps people approaching from the opposite direction from passing in my lane.

Two things I hate: u turns on highways and people passing against traffic on two lane roads.

I hate u turns that are located within 100 meters of cross streets or fuel stations. Because there dumbos want to cut across ALL the lanes of traffic to get to the u turn. Extremely dangerous. I also hate those riding against traffic. Because usually those Darwin award nominees do it without lights.

I hate u turns that are located within 100 meters of cross streets or fuel stations. Because there dumbos want to cut across ALL the lanes of traffic to get to the u turn. Extremely dangerous. I also hate those riding against traffic. Because usually those Darwin award nominees do it without lights.

Never seen that many u turns anywhere on Earth! U turns make the roads very dangerous here.

Of course cheap solution instead of doing u turn overpass.

A number of flames and replies have been removed from this topic.

Please be civil to other members.

From the Forum Rules:

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

10 days of riding Northern and Western Thailand on a 650 cc bike (and 7 days East/North Thailand before that), on road, off road, sun and rain, tankers, truck, pickups coming in the opposite direction in your lane, I felt comfortable and safe.

Two days riding in Bangkok on my PCX and I am thinking heck, it's bl**dy dangerous riding in Bangkok. PCX can't really do high speeds and does not have the best acceleration or tyres and you have cars overtaking you, inches away, cutting in front of you (without indicating), pulling out when you are splitting traffic.....

Anyone feels safer riding big bikes at higher speeds as compared to tooting along at 60-80 kmh?

10 days of riding Northern and Western Thailand on a 650 cc bike (and 7 days East/North Thailand before that), on road, off road, sun and rain, tankers, truck, pickups coming in the opposite direction in your lane, I felt comfortable and safe.

Two days riding in Bangkok on my PCX and I am thinking heck, it's bl**dy dangerous riding in Bangkok. PCX can't really do high speeds and does not have the best acceleration or tyres and you have cars overtaking you, inches away, cutting in front of you (without indicating), pulling out when you are splitting traffic.....

Anyone feels safer riding big bikes at higher speeds as compared to tooting along at 60-80 kmh?

Feelings are highly subjective. It just takes one oncoming pickup to kill you. You just had a bad day, looked at your GPS the wrong moment or some other distraction. And at this moment the Pickup driver flashes his magical headlights and you dont see it. Hope it will never happen, but a bigger bike will not help you much then.