Riding safe in Thailand - what's a safe speed?

Gweiloman

What's the speed limit?

Anything over that is dangerous.

I would never ride a bike on country roads at any speed - suicide.

Drama queen... it might be 'suicide' in your mind yet others do it daily like brushing teeth.

One reason why motorbike fatalities are so high in Thailand.
So it your opinion also that a motorcycle should NEVER be ridden on a country roads AT ANY SPEED? Unbelievable as these are the roads of choice for most riders... Are you seriously suggesting highways and urban roads are safer? That anyone riding on a country road has a death wish, rather than just choosing it to enjoy its scenery and laid-back nature? Motorbike fatalities are high in Thailand because 90+ percent of the population use them daily and 90 percent of those do not use even minimal safety gear...

Are you referring to me or Neeranam here? I don't think that highways and urban roads are safer, I think that Neeranam is actually referring to riding too fast on country roads, rather than 'at any speed'. I would certainly agree with your last sentence.

I went up into Mae Wong national park yesterday on my Honda CB400 towards sunset heading into the sun . The road is narrow and twisty but in good condition.

I was about 3 km into the park when some numpty in his Honda Civic or Accord was about a metre from my back tyre trying to overtake me. I was only doing about 60kph and after a couple of minutes I pulled over to let the a**hole past. When I got to the parking area he was just getting out of his car. Every time I saw him on the road in front of me he was braking for the corners.

I go up into the park regularly and I know the road as it passes outside my house and is only 13km to the Park office.

As it is the holiday season there are a lot of numpties charging past the house on their way up there in their SUVs, Tonka Toy pickup trucks and cars. On Sunday morning they will all be charging back down the roads to the city. I wish they would stay there.

Possum: I was referring to your post. I may have mistakenly thought you were agreeing with neer's very clear (really, he left no room for interpretation) statement that 'riding a bike on country roads at any speed is suicide', which is patently ridiculous.

I would have thought that the person to judge what speed is safest for them is the person themselves.....hardly a question for another to answer?

I agree and ''Whatsa safe speed ?'' is an unanwserable query at best .Pointless question infact ,.Not just in Thaiaalnd but anywere in the world there is muiltple variences>>"Whats a safespeed on the road"? Safe in terms of what? Safe for whom? Safe for you ?Safe for others?There's no one answer that will satisfy every rider as everyone has their own views of safety.

• Like 1

But the "200" is IMO just wrong for anyone, anywhere, anytime in Thailand.

200 plus was not in Thailand, it was in Malaysia enroute Singapore. Ever rode there ?

Road like a snooker table, no ruts, no potholes, no gravel, no sand, and ... No tolls.

uh ? which route are your referring to ?

• Like 1

Ahaha look closely at the undertake the pick up had his indicator on to make the right turn ......observant and thinking ahead riding.

+100

Yes, I didn't notice it earlier as I was trying to note the speed. I see now that in fact the driver was already veering out. Good catch!

I would have thought that the person to judge what speed is safest for them is the person themselves.....hardly a question for another to answer?

I agree and ''Whatsa safe speed ?'' is an unanwserable query at best .Pointless question infact ,.Not just in Thaiaalnd but anywere in the world there is muiltple variences>>"Whats a safespeed on the road"? Safe in terms of what? Safe for whom? Safe for you ?Safe for others?There's no one answer that will satisfy every rider as everyone has their own views of safety.

Perfectly right. There is no such thing as a "safe" speed as it depends on many factors.

The idea of this thread is more to discuss and debate as to whether riding slower is necessarily safer than riding faster, conditions permitting. Some riders seem to adhere to a maximum speed limit, regardless of conditions, in the belief that going any faster than that would be dangerous. I beg to differ, which is why I opened this thread for discussion and sharing of opinions.

we were always taught to ride at the speed required according to the riding conditions

if your in traffic , go with the flow

rough roads different speed

motor way different speed

if you are on a racing track go flat out

ive been riding in thailand 12 years accident free by using this method

"if your in traffic , go with the flow"

I was also taught this, but that was for cars. I'm not sure if this would be safer or more dangerous for bikes. Personally, I would let faster drivers (cars) stay in front of me but I want to be ahead of slower drivers.

I guess simply ride at a speed you feel safe. I have travel up to Bangkok several times on the PCX 150 on 34 and one windy day I turned around and came back. To windy and to many trucks I felt the bike almost lift off the ground once, that was enough for me. I have also tried to putt along the shoulder on my way down to Pattaya and it seems to many idiots to deal with so I have learned were to ride 70 and were to do 90 plus. Everyday seems different so I just pretend I am in a video game and everyone is trying to kill me. Makes riding exciting.

Edited by ToddinChonburi

Safe speed depends on the bike, road conditions, weather and the size of one's balls. What's safe speed to one might be a crazy ride to another. Just coz someone rides fast, it doesn't mean it's a death wish. Not knowing the real reason behind accidents is a death wish.

Well as a Motorcycle rider with over 45 years on two wheels and countless miles without an accident "knock on wood" When I ride it is for pleasure So I cruise at 55 to 65 MPH. Not in a rush. Also never Ride Rice rockets only Harleys, But as for how fast to drive never go faster than your angel can fly. Seen to many bikers spread across the asphalt and chain link fence Even saw a guy on a rice rocket cut in front of me to exit and had his head cut off by some rebar hanging off the back of truck between us. Never forget that one His Eyes were wide open in shock As his helmet bounced to side of road. Paramedic's had to pry his hands off his handle bars. So speed at your own Risk.

The idea of this thread is more to discuss and debate as to whether riding slower is necessarily safer than riding faster, conditions permitting. Some riders seem to adhere to a maximum speed limit, regardless of conditions, in the belief that going any faster than that would be dangerous. I beg to differ, which is why I opened this thread for discussion and sharing of opinions.

I think there is a personal safety zone in which going too slow results in lack of paying 100% attention to the road and going too fast results in going down - there's no MotoGP-style runoffs in life so keep it to 8/10ths of your (and your bike's) ability at the upper end for safety!

Anecdotally, when I was young(er, ish) and invincible, I used to subscribe to the theory that when the weather gets bad - go faster, you'll be dry, warm and comfortable sooner! That practice lead to some interesting aquaplaning adventures... no downs though and ultimately valuable experience!!

• Like 1

"if your in traffic , go with the flow"

I was also taught this, but that was for cars. I'm not sure if this would be safer or more dangerous for bikes. Personally, I would let faster drivers (cars) stay in front of me but I want to be ahead of slower drivers.

I tend to like to ride faster than the flow, therefore I only have to deal with what's in front of me... (no, I'm not ignoring what's behind me, just paying it less attention if ya know what I mean!). If the odd vehicle is going faster than my pace I just let 'em go - its not a competition!

• Like 2

Why have a pcx if you cruise only 60 km? You are safer in my opinion to keep pace or exceed the traffic flow as you will reduce potentially dangerous situations such as passing traffic. I have ridden 100cc, 125cc at speeds of 100-110km h and never had problems but I always make sure the tires, brakes, etc. are well maintained.

Edited by losworld

If you are brainless rider, of course you will blast away as fast as you can, thinking you are either an invincible Thai or an invincibly crass foreigner who knows 'how to ride because I have been riding big bikes for years'.

Otherwise, you'll be driving sensibly at a speed which is safe for other road users (and wow, thickshits - that includes walkers on the road too), and at which speed you feel safe.

You utterly brain-dead '190kh/h is what I ride at' tossers deserve what you get.

Derision.

You sound like the typical tosser that couldnt handle a bicycle yet alone ride a big bike.. i bet you get eaten up with rage everytime 1 of us flashes past your vios when youre almost over the speed limit.

Pop up to pai now n ill pass you on the INSIDE on many corners...that always gives me a chuckle.

Ive not done 190 on my FZ09 tho....my skateboard helmet tries to lift off...

So there was this one time I was on a ride and the guy with me pulled into a rest area. I stopped because a truck was coming around a bend. Unfortunately gravity got the best of me and the bike went down.

So I guess in that situation 0km was not a safe speed.

Now the thread is back on topic.

• Like 2

Good topic here Gman, I will follow it with interest, I am very interested to hear other bikers opinions, can I ask if anyone with smaller bikes ie, Honda Wave or PCX does road trips, and their opinions about speed and safety?

I have taken a few road trips up to 3-400 kms rt on my 125cc scooter. About 80 or 90 kms on the highway is fast enough on the small bike. My 175cc Kawi Boss is a full size bike that I felt relatively safe at higher speeds up to 110-120. My piece of crap Yamaha Virago 750 would go much faster but again around 110-120 was fine with an occasional burst of speed to get the blood moving. Depends on the road and the conditions. This is all in past tense as I have fallen off my bikes one too many times (oil on the road) and have totally retired from riding motorcycles. At age 73 I don't heal as quickly as I used to. You can see the progression to bigger and more powerful bikes. I bought the 125cc Yamaha to get out from under the MB taxis, the Kawi Boss for a bit more weight and stability and the 750cc for more power, stability and comfort for long distances. Now I drive only a car with a dash cam to record the crazy drivers trying to kill me. The DC has already stood me in good stead proving to the cops that the tuk tuk cut me off from the left lane and hooked my front bumper causing about 10K in damage. You should have seen the TT driver's face when I pulled out my DC video. Priceless. Every farang should have a DC on bike or car.

• Like 1

I average 27Km/hr on my bicycle.

Top speed 50Km/hr.

How does it feel when the cars / trucks / pick ups / minivans overtake you? Scary?

Never had a problem, easy running red lights too, everyone seems OK letting me go through.

Cars, trucks and buses keep well clear.

I ride my bicycle in city traffic a lot here on Phuket. I have been rear ended twice by MBs turning my rear wheel into a pretzel and been brushed three times by cars. But strangely... I feel safer on my bicycle than on my MB.

Good topic here Gman, I will follow it with interest, I am very interested to hear other bikers opinions, can I ask if anyone with smaller bikes ie, Honda Wave or PCX does road trips, and their opinions about speed and safety?

I have taken a few road trips up to 3-400 kms rt on my 125cc scooter. About 80 or 90 kms on the highway is fast enough on the small bike. My 175cc Kawi Boss is a full size bike that I felt relatively safe at higher speeds up to 110-120. My piece of crap Yamaha Virago 750 would go much faster but again around 110-120 was fine with an occasional burst of speed to get the blood moving. Depends on the road and the conditions. This is all in past tense as I have fallen off my bikes one too many times (oil on the road) and have totally retired from riding motorcycles. At age 73 I don't heal as quickly as I used to. You can see the progression to bigger and more powerful bikes. I bought the 125cc Yamaha to get out from under the MB taxis, the Kawi Boss for a bit more weight and stability and the 750cc for more power, stability and comfort for long distances. Now I drive only a car with a dash cam to record the crazy drivers trying to kill me. The DC has already stood me in good stead proving to the cops that the tuk tuk cut me off from the left lane and hooked my front bumper causing about 10K in damage. You should have seen the TT driver's face when I pulled out my DC video. Priceless. Every farang should have a DC on bike or car.

I like your last sentence, I will look into it though I'm not sure if I can afford one yet, I know it won't keep you safe, but there are so many Thai drivers with low mentality, on the road coming out in front of you or cutting you up.

If anyone wants to accuse me of Thai bashing, then go for it, I don't care.

there are so many Thai drivers with low mentality, on the road coming out in front of you or cutting you up.

Nothing do do with your sense of "low mentality". Maybe you didn't realize the car-culture in Thailand is about 50-60 years behind the USA... Reminds me a lot of 50s-60s car culture in the USA... with a spicy dash of Thai "freedom" in regards to road rules!!

there are so many Thai drivers with low mentality, on the road coming out in front of you or cutting you up.

Nothing do do with your sense of "low mentality". Maybe you didn't realize the car-culture in Thailand is about 50-60 years behind the USA... Reminds me a lot of 50s-60s car culture in the USA... with a spicy dash of Thai "freedom" in regards to road rules!!

I have driven quite a bit in the US, up and down both sides of the Pacific Coast Highway, from San Francisco to over the Mexican border, and parts of the coast road, also in Nashville Tennessee. I never had any issues with drivers or Bikers, I would go as far as to say the driving standards and road manners in the US are far higher than in the UK.

As for the low mentality of most of the Thai drivers, IMHO, you would need to have low mentality to drive the way they do. again IMHO, driving is more about common sense than rules and regulations, although they are important too.