Riding safe in Thailand - what's a safe speed?

Gweiloman

I got my first motorbike when I was 7 years old, and have been riding ever since....however in Thailand I limit my bike ownership to a 110cc step-through.

The reasons?

one - I don't like riding unless I can wear full protective clothing. Although I could splash out on the latest carbon-fibre technology, the cost and other reasons add up to not getting involved.

The other reasons? - roads here are extremely badly built (surfaces,potholes etc) and designed (junctions, camber, curves etc.) - in Thailand billboards obscure vision at junctions trees overhang bends etc etc - the chances of other motorists not seeing a car are bad enough but the chances of your m/bike not being seen are in my opinion unacceptably high.

Then there's what happens if you DO come off - the final and overriding reason for me however is the Thai (emergency) healthcare service. If you have an accident in Europe there are specific times by which an ambulance and paramedics will get to you. ........ and once in hospital you get the best treatment, no questions asked.

NONE of this is available in Thailand. What happens is a lottery - an "ambulance ca be just about anything from a pickup to a van that resembles and ambulance - is it equipped? Are they properly trained paramedics? I and others have witnessed accident victims being shoved and pushed and loaded - NO SIGN OF A NECK BRACE!!!!! please! In a country where the chances of coming off are considerably higher than my home country why would I ride a bike when the emergency services are in the dark ages - in fact they probably wouldn't have cut mustard in the days of the Great Plague itself!

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

For those of you bragging about speeds in excess of 160kph up to 240kph,

I don't care about how safe YOU feel, you are posing a danger to every other motorist on the road.

There isn't any place, on any road in the world, outside of controlled racetracks where those speeds could be considered safe.

Please warn us when you get on your bikes, because you guys are simply dangerous pricks.

I don't care about how safe YOU feel, you are posing a danger to every other motorist on the road.

There isn't any place, on any road in the world, outside of controlled racetracks where those speeds could be considered safe.

Please warn us when you get on your bikes, because you guys are simply dangerous pricks.

see my comments on the OP!

Been doing it over 10 years. Ain't had a bad wreck yet.

Give me your GPS coordinates and I will try to stay away from your neighborhood.

Ride Alone.

Stay ahead of the cars behind you and behind the cars ahead of you. Keep as much empty space around you as you can.

Watch your mirrors for minibus, Tuna, Merc, other AH's approaching from behind you.

Ride in the center of the road when possible, giving you equal pavement left and right to use in an emergency.

Speed - whatever conditions will handle. No set pace. Sometimes 60, sometimes 200. Depends.

If you stay away from other road users, the only thing that can go wrong is road conditions or your lack of skill.

Or just plain bad luck.

Remember - EVERYBODY is out to kill you

Your post is nearly perfect -- just about says it all about speed and motorcycles in Thailand. But the "200" is IMO just wrong for anyone, anywhere, anytime in Thailand. I wouldn't ever do 200 in my 4 door sedan with a full cage, seatbelts and airbags, why would I go that fast on a motorcycle with none of those protections? I shouldn't, full stop. 120kph is fast enough (too fast for me on a motorcycle) for anyone under any conditions, and happens to be the maximum legal speed limit on any road in Thailand. A short burst for a few hundred meters at 160 - 200 on an open highway with no traffic and good visibility (and a bike with no issues; have a blow out at 200 kph and see what happens) to feel the "rush" is probably ok for some, but to travel at those speeds for any distance is IMHO simply wrong (aka stupid). And (again IMO) anyone that thinks that full gear can offset or compensate and make riding at those speeds "safe" is "livin' la vida loca". Best wishes for safe travel in the New Year to all.

you are probably not quite understanding exactly what the big bike experience is or what it is like or what they are capable of and by that I mean you can accelerate from 100kph to 200kph and back again in a very short time and distance, if you imagine something that can exceed 100kph in 1st gear in under 3 secs you might just about understand that 2nd and 3rd will have you approaching 200kph in a very short overtaking manoeuvre slowing back to cruising speed 120-140kph - I happens in a flash and is generally safe and under control

The biggest danger I have seen in Thailand are drivers coming towards you on B roads (2x lanes) just pulling out to overtake a truck or other slower vehicle with total disregard especially for a motorbike or even doing it on a bend that you may have already committed too - so on the limit riding into a corner is taboo

Good point Smedly. Very often, we are not actually looking at the actual speed we are travelling but focusing on our speed relative to the traffic around us. The main thing (as has been discussed many times) is to stay ahead of the traffic as much as possible to give ourselves the best visibility and create as much escape space as possible when needed.

As you also mentioned, overtaking should be done as quickly as possible and this sometimes mean opening up the throttle fully for a couple of seconds - the speed can easily exceed 160 kph in an instance.

Why cant' you simply allow someone to pass, they go by and you have the open road and visibility in a minute or so?

You don't need to open up. You and others have been talking about big time speed which I think is too much.

Whilst i realise that the OP was about Thailand, the same ideals apply anywhere .

The road is in fact in Aus and it is an ''open speed limit'' stretch on a state highway,how nice is that??

Outside of that 'stretch' though the speed limit varies 100kph and 130kph.

Get caught at 45kph above the posted speed areas you cop a $A1000 fine!!

The worst thing is 6 demerit points also for this one offence.

You only have 12 points to lose in 3 year period.

One must be in the right zone to speed.

Sounds like you guys have it easy in Thailand.

Yes we do, that's one reason we moved to Thailand in the first place, freedom is a very nice thing.

Good looking girls is also a good reason if you ask me, 50kg's ones and not 100kg's is another good reason, he-he.

Now this is one hell of a good reason if you ask me. tongue.png

There is a generally acepted implied restriction on freedom - that your actions don't impinge on others.

if you come off your bike you affect others.

firstly those who are involved in the incident.

secondly those who have to take you to hospital or funeral parlour.

Then there are the ones left behind - those who have to look after you as you recover or worse for the rest of your life, OR those who are left without husband, family member, lover etc - those who relied on your income as breadwinner.

...and finally the set who in the nd fund your medical care either trough taxing us or higher premiums of insurance companies.

Road deaths and injuries cost Thailand billions....and why should we have to contribute extra to support the false "freedom" of being able to go at 250kph?

• Like 2

Why cant' you simply allow someone to pass, they go by and you have the open road and visibility in a minute or so?

You don't need to open up. You and others have been talking about big time speed which I think is too much.

Because I am alone on the road at those speeds.

You think it is too fast - I do not. Time and place.

Or should we all ride cub 50's ?

Your post is nearly perfect -- just about says it all about speed and motorcycles in Thailand. But the "200" is IMO just wrong for anyone, anywhere, anytime in Thailand. I wouldn't ever do 200 in my 4 door sedan with a full cage, seatbelts and airbags, why would I go that fast on a motorcycle with none of those protections? I shouldn't, full stop. 120kph is fast enough (too fast for me on a motorcycle) for anyone under any conditions, and happens to be the maximum legal speed limit on any road in Thailand. A short burst for a few hundred meters at 160 - 200 on an open highway with no traffic and good visibility (and a bike with no issues; have a blow out at 200 kph and see what happens) to feel the "rush" is probably ok for some, but to travel at those speeds for any distance is IMHO simply wrong (aka stupid). And (again IMO) anyone that thinks that full gear can offset or compensate and make riding at those speeds "safe" is "livin' la vida loca". Best wishes for safe travel in the New Year to all.

you are probably not quite understanding exactly what the big bike experience is or what it is like or what they are capable of and by that I mean you can accelerate from 100kph to 200kph and back again in a very short time and distance, if you imagine something that can exceed 100kph in 1st gear in under 3 secs you might just about understand that 2nd and 3rd will have you approaching 200kph in a very short overtaking manoeuvre slowing back to cruising speed 120-140kph - I happens in a flash and is generally safe and under control

The biggest danger I have seen in Thailand are drivers coming towards you on B roads (2x lanes) just pulling out to overtake a truck or other slower vehicle with total disregard especially for a motorbike or even doing it on a bend that you may have already committed too - so on the limit riding into a corner is taboo

Good point Smedly. Very often, we are not actually looking at the actual speed we are travelling but focusing on our speed relative to the traffic around us. The main thing (as has been discussed many times) is to stay ahead of the traffic as much as possible to give ourselves the best visibility and create as much escape space as possible when needed.

As you also mentioned, overtaking should be done as quickly as possible and this sometimes mean opening up the throttle fully for a couple of seconds - the speed can easily exceed 160 kph in an instance.

Because they are moving to my side of the road without warning which I am already occupying and more times than not causes me to take evasive action - speed has nothing to do with it, by any western standards it is careless driving, I brought it up because it is dangerous not only to motorbikes but also other vehicles, I have seen some near misses for this very reason and is no wonder there is so much carnage on the roads here - Thais do not know how to safely overtake and take risks making the assumption the other driver will see them and get out of the way - it doesn't always turn out that way and people die

• Like 1

.and why should we have to contribute extra to support the false "freedom" of being able to go at 250kph?

You pay my medical insurance ? You pay my bike insurance ?

How are you making an extra contribution ?

If you wish to respond to my whole post, giving reasons why I should not do what I do - fine, I will listen. If the response is made in a polite and respectful manner.

But cherry-pick what you don't like and say I am wrong, or as posters above have said - I am an idiot ...

• Like 1

Very simply, because it's more dangerous to do it your way and much, much safer to do it mine.

Not sure if you ride a motorbike here in Thailand and if so, on what sort of roads. No one is talking about doing 160 kph on city streets or through villages and through intersections. Furthermore, there aren't many situations anyway in Thailand where one can safely keep a sustained speed of 160 kph for more than a minute or so. However, in order to safely overtake cars / pickups / minivans / buses on a motorbike here in Thailand, you need to do quickly and decisively - meaning a quick blast of speed and when safe to do so.

Most motorist when overtaking will probably hit a top speed of 120 - 140 kph. That's because that's the performance limit of the car that they are driving. The power to weight ratio for a bike is completely different. Why not take advantage of what the bike's designed to do in order to ride safely?

• Like 1

I have seen some near misses for this very reason and is no wonder there is so much carnage on the roads here

I come close to an accident virtually every time I sit in the saddle and hit the starter.

Been that way since I was a kid.

Be Aware. Beware.

.and why should we have to contribute extra to support the false "freedom" of being able to go at 250kph?

You pay my medical insurance ? You pay my bike insurance ?

How are you making an extra contribution ?

If you wish to respond to my whole post, giving reasons why I should not do what I do - fine, I will listen. If the response is made in a polite and respectful manner.

But cherry-pick what you don't like and say I am wrong, or as posters above have said - I am an idiot ...

You really don't see how? - actually, it doesn't amaze me in the slightest that you don't understand that very simple concept - the rest of your posts indicate that. i think it shows that other posters may have a point -

I got my first motorbike when I was 7 years old, and have been riding ever since....however in Thailand I limit my bike ownership to a 110cc step-through.

The reasons?

one - I don't like riding unless I can wear full protective clothing. Although I could splash out on the latest carbon-fibre technology, the cost and other reasons add up to not getting involved.

The other reasons? - roads here are extremely badly built (surfaces,potholes etc) and designed (junctions, camber, curves etc.) - in Thailand billboards obscure vision at junctions trees overhang bends etc etc - the chances of other motorists not seeing a car are bad enough but the chances of your m/bike not being seen are in my opinion unacceptably high.

Then there's what happens if you DO come off - the final and overriding reason for me however is the Thai (emergency) healthcare service. If you have an accident in Europe there are specific times by which an ambulance and paramedics will get to you. ........ and once in hospital you get the best treatment, no questions asked.

NONE of this is available in Thailand. What happens is a lottery - an "ambulance ca be just about anything from a pickup to a van that resembles and ambulance - is it equipped? Are they properly trained paramedics? I and others have witnessed accident victims being shoved and pushed and loaded - NO SIGN OF A NECK BRACE!!!!! please! In a country where the chances of coming off are considerably higher than my home country why would I ride a bike when the emergency services are in the dark ages - in fact they probably wouldn't have cut mustard in the days of the Great Plague itself!

"one - I don't like riding unless I can wear full protective clothing"

Which is why most of us wear full protective clothing

"The other reasons? - roads here are extremely badly built (surfaces,potholes etc) and designed (junctions, camber, curves etc.) - in Thailand billboards obscure vision at junctions trees overhang bends etc etc - the chances of other motorists not seeing a car are bad enough but the chances of your m/bike not being seen are in my opinion unacceptably high"

Which is why we carefully choose the time and place if we need to or want to go above 100 kmh and why we also practice defensive riding

For the rest of your post, I take it that you don't take a bus, minivan, taxi, tuk tuk, motorsai taxi or get on a plane or even indulge in anything that has a risk factor involved? Please be careful then when stepping out of the bath tub, when crossing the street or when getting into a lift.

• Like 1

Then you have no credibility to post on this topic at all.

Check out the title - says it all.

For you, as fast as a 110cc step-through is enuf.

Not for me.

We agree to disagree.

Whilst i realise that the OP was about Thailand, the same ideals apply anywhere .

The road is in fact in Aus and it is an ''open speed limit'' stretch on a state highway,how nice is that??

Yes we do, that's one reason we moved to Thailand in the first place, freedom is a very nice thing.

Good looking girls is also a good reason if you ask me, 50kg's ones and not 100kg's is another good reason, he-he.

There is a generally acepted implied restriction on freedom - that your actions don't impinge on others.

Then there are the ones left behind - those who have to look after you as you recover or worse for the rest of your life, OR those who are left without husband, family member, lover etc - those who relied on your income as breadwinner.

...and finally the set who in the nd fund your medical care either trough taxing us or higher premiums of insurance companies.

Road deaths and injuries cost Thailand billions....and why should we have to contribute extra to support the false "freedom" of being able to go at 250kph?

There are many factors and causes of motorbike accidents. The most common ones vary from country to country. But there are some which are common throughout the world.

Single vehicle accident - usually due to the rider unsuccessfully negotiating a bend

Head on collisions with a passenger vehicle (not motorcycle) - usually due to the driver of the passenger vehicle not seeing the motorbike (on TV recently, there was even a driver of a sedan that did not see an oncoming bus, causing the bus to swerve and crash into a ditch)

Junction collisions - that's why one should always slow down and be extra careful when approaching or leaving from a junction

Going by this, others who are involved in the incident is generally at fault. In a single vehicle accident, no one else is involved.

Those that have to take you to hospital or funeral parlour are doing their job - ie something they are paid to do.

As for those who relied on your income - ever heard of insurance? People who are adequately insured are usually worth a lot more dead than alive. Sad but true.

Finally in Thailand, no one funds any one else's medical care. That's why I have my own hospitalisation insurance. As to paying higher premiums, I have had full NCB / NCD for longer than I care to remember, never having made an insurance claim in over 20 years. Seems like I'm funding other idiotic drivers.

I don't actually see anyone bragging about riding fast. A high speed in itself is not dangerous. What is dangerous is reckless riding and this can occur at low speeds as well. Reckless riders are the real pricks, not someone who carefully chooses the right time and place to open up the throttle.

There was a recent stat on TV that what, about 80% of the accidents during the recent holidays involved motorbikes? What's the bet that the majority of these accidents occurred at speeds below 160 kph? If I were to go out on a limb, I would say that more than 90% of these accidents occurred at speeds below 160 kph. There are very, very few high speed accidents involving motorbikes.

Riding a 110cc step-through is safe enough when going down to the local 7-11 and is even arguably safe enough around a city like Bangkok.

But try taking it on an extended 2-3,000 km ride around Thailand and come and back and tell us that it was every safe, with pickups and minivans inches behind you when trying to overtake you, when you have to sit behind a bus or lorry doing 70 kmh because you don't have the necessary power to overtake safely, when you have cars less than a metre from your right and gravel and sand and stones on your left, inches from your wheel because you can't pull out and put all these dangerous traffic behind you.

I'm sure half the posters on here haven't a clue about the enjoyment riding a bike brings into your life.......?.

I love riding a bike in Thailand. I don't, however, advocate 180 kph plus on the roads.

Tell us about the kind of riding that you do - commuting or down to the local 7/11 or touring rides around Thailand?

As the OP, I think I may not have posted an accurate title. I should have been more specific, for example, "Riding round Thailand on a 500+cc bike including sections on highways where minimum speeds are advisable".

There are many factors and causes of motorbike accidents. The most common ones vary from country to country. But there are some which are common throughout the world.

Single vehicle accident - usually due to the rider unsuccessfully negotiating a bend

Head on collisions with a passenger vehicle (not motorcycle) - usually due to the driver of the passenger vehicle not seeing the motorbike (on TV recently, there was even a driver of a sedan that did not see an oncoming bus, causing the bus to swerve and crash into a ditch)

Junction collisions - that's why one should always slow down and be extra careful when approaching or leaving from a junction

Going by this, others who are involved in the incident is generally at fault. In a single vehicle accident, no one else is involved.

Those that have to take you to hospital or funeral parlour are doing their job - ie something they are paid to do.

As for those who relied on your income - ever heard of insurance? People who are adequately insured are usually worth a lot more dead than alive. Sad but true.

Finally in Thailand, no one funds any one else's medical care. That's why I have my own hospitalisation insurance. As to paying higher premiums, I have had full NCB / NCD for longer than I care to remember, never having made an insurance claim in over 20 years. Seems like I'm funding other idiotic drivers.

an utterly facile answer - and the thing is, I think you know it.

Edited by wilcopops

No, it was genuine, hand on heart answer. What's facile about it?

You are going on about some of us riding at unsafe speeds (one poster even went as far as to say that some of us dangerous pricks endanger the lives of others). I put it to you that by going at the speeds that we do, we remove ourselves from the dangerous situations that arise when idiotic drivers catch up to scooters and slower bike riders travelling at 60-80 kph. That's when the danger exists.

The danger that exists for riders like us are as follows:

- poor road condition (gravel, sand, oil etc) - that's why we choose the time and place

- oncoming overtaking traffic in our lane - at higher speeds (as oppose to pottering along), our minds are more focused and concentrated on all potential hazards

- intersections / U turns - that's why we slow down and move over to the right or left depending on the intersection

- kids running out onto the roads - we don't speed through urban and built up areas

- slower vehicles pulling out in front of us - when focused on the ride, the mind calculates changes in direction of other vehicles in a split second (look at taninthai's video where he "undertook" a pickup

Anyway, let's face it. Most of the motorcycle accidents in Thailand happen to slower and smaller cc bikes as opposed to those of us that occasionally go past 160 kph.

• Like 1

No, it was genuine, hand on heart answer. What's facile about it?

You are going on about some of us riding at unsafe speeds (one poster even went as far as to say that some of us dangerous pricks endanger the lives of others). I put it to you that by going at the speeds that we do, we remove ourselves from the dangerous situations that arise when idiotic drivers catch up to scooters and slower bike riders travelling at 60-80 kph. That's when the danger exists.

The danger that exists for riders like us are as follows:

- poor road condition (gravel, sand, oil etc) - that's why we choose the time and place

- oncoming overtaking traffic in our lane - at higher speeds (as oppose to pottering along), our minds are more focused and concentrated on all potential hazards

- intersections / U turns - that's why we slow down and move over to the right or left depending on the intersection

- kids running out onto the roads - we don't speed through urban and built up areas

- slower vehicles pulling out in front of us - when focused on the ride, the mind calculates changes in direction of other vehicles in a split second (look at taninthai's video where he "undertook" a pickup

Anyway, let's face it. Most of the motorcycle accidents in Thailand happen to slower and smaller cc bikes as opposed to those of us that occasionally go past 160 kph.

It would appear I'm a far better informed motorcyclist than you are - but please don't let me stop you either mis-reporting my comments or parading your ignorance on the subject.

i have got my knowledge and experience of both motorcycles and road safety by both experience and study....I suggest that you are in need of a lot of learning to get up to speed on the issues you think you know about.

The reasons?

this has got to be the most pathetic bunch of excuses I have heard ,sounds like one of the old guys stuck in Thailand ,don't like the food ,weather or people and cannot afford top quality health insurance......????

Now for my experience on this topic. I've been riding for 45 years. Bought my first bike in 1970, a GT500 Suzuki 2 stroke.

Good post rapom. Although all that experience my have blurred your memory a wee bit... The Suzuki GT series consisted of the 'ram air' GT380 and 550, and the liquid-cooled GT750 'water buffalo'. I remember this well because my first bike was a GT550 - NOT 500!!

I think you are both right, sort of, there was a Suzuki T500, made from 1963 until 1977.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_T_series

Well bugger my memory!! GT series was not introduced until '72... So rapom either had a 1970 T500 or a 1972 or onward GT550... Where are you rapom to answer this burning question!!

Did your bike look like this (T500) TWIN:

t_zps8eef1ead.jpg

Or like this (GT550) TRIPLE:

GT_zps5044504a.jpg

Simple - was it a triple or a twin?

Now for my experience on this topic. I've been riding for 45 years. Bought my first bike in 1970, a GT500 Suzuki 2 stroke.

Good post rapom. Although all that experience my have blurred your memory a wee bit... The Suzuki GT series consisted of the 'ram air' GT380 and 550, and the liquid-cooled GT750 'water buffalo'. I remember this well because my first bike was a GT550 - NOT 500!!

I think you are both right, sort of, there was a Suzuki T500, made from 1963 until 1977.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_T_series

Well bugger my memory!! GT series was not introduced until '72... So rapom either had a 1970 T500 or a 1972 or onward GT550... Where are you rapom to answer this burning question!!

Did your bike look like this (T500) TWIN:

t_zps8eef1ead.jpg

Or like this (GT550) TRIPLE:

GT_zps5044504a.jpg

Simple - was it a triple or a twin?

The reasons?

this has got to be the most pathetic bunch of excuses I have heard ,sounds like one of the old guys stuck in Thailand ,don't like the food ,weather or people and cannot afford top quality health insurance......????

I like the weather when it rains (hasn't been doing much of that) and the people are ok except for a lot of those disgruntled expats....

Saying the Thai roads are all XXX is kind of ridiculous (especially when you're talking to people who have ridden those roads for many years)- sure, some are pretty horrendous, but some are absolutely incredible and great for all types of riders. I've ridden extensively in the US and Japan (as well as LOS), and all have roads that range from terrible to fantastic from a rider's perspective. I've just spent some time in Chiang Mai, and found the roads to be in generally good condition, with many having little in the way of traffic and are as dangerous or safe as the rider himself chooses to make them (meaning how hard he wants to push himself)- the roads themselves weren't inherently unsafe at all.

I always wear full protective gear when I ride my motorcycle- I think not doing so on a fast bike is a foolish choice (I can see wearing less than optimal gear on a scooter for. run to the store, but not on a big bike where you're in traffic rather than on the periphery of it)- I have gear for various weather conditions and can ride acceptably comfortably with full impact and abrasion resistance in even the hottest conditions. To say that expense is a reason for not doing so is kind of strange- if you can afford a 'big' bike, you can afford proper gear.

Having an accident on the best riding roads (which are usually in the boonies) anywhere in the world is a crap-shoot as far as first-responder care goes- you could wait for a long time on some of the best roads in California, for example, before being attended to (or even noticed)- many injured riders are driven to the hospital by passers-by. It's true that Thailand can leave a lot to be desired in that area, but most people who tell of their experiences following a get-off tend to complain more about the cost than the care (which is generally covered by insurance or OOP).

I'm not sure how someone who doesn't ride a motorcycle in Thailand can know more than those of us that do. A 'motorcyclist' rides a motorcycle rather than makes excuses for not doing so (and talking about medical bills and leaving loved ones behind? Do you really ride? That's the argument non-riders use when trying to convince riders they shouldn't ride at all- if you have that attitude, small-displacement scooters are the vehicle of choice for most accidents and deaths on Thai roads as they have the ability to get into trouble with little of the ability to get out of it- I would suggest you stick to four wheels). Riding entails an element of risk in the best of situations- Thailand can be more dangerous than other places depending on conditions, but it's still within the bounds of acceptability for a skilled and smart rider.

• Like 2

The reasons?

People are just piling ignorance upon ignorance - you clearly have no idea of the importance of emergency services when it comes to RTAs. do you seriously think that when YOU are lying in the road someone is going to decide you have insurance and call for a "better" ambulance.....not that one exists anyway?

Edited by wilcopops

For everyone worried about dying in Thailand, I recommend getting one of the Strykers picture below. Make sure you spring for the slat armour pictured. I've seen a bus drift too close to one with it installed and it was opened like a sardine can.060421-M-4783L-037.jpg

• Like 1