Riding safe in Thailand - what's a safe speed?

Gweiloman

If needs be, I would ride along at higher speeds, 180+ kmh or so and I would be the first to admit that this is not always the safest thing to do. My personal preference when on touring rides (and conditions permitting) is around 130-140 kmh (slower through moobans and towns, twisties, higher through sweeping curves).

However, I feel that it's a lot more dangerous to be pottering on the hard shoulder or side of the road at lower speeds with cars overtaking and the side of the road being much "dirtier" (gravel, sand etc).

Wonder what other riders think?

I just got back from a two month, 10,000km through North Thailand and Laos on my PCX, in truth you tend to ride at the speed the road and conditions allow. I never once set a speed, just varied it with the road and traffic conditions.

For example, Pattaya to Nong Khai, 685km, i rode for 10 hours 15 minutes, because good conditions. But in Laos, Oudon Xai to Phongsali 245km took 9 hours 45 minutes.

I would NEVER ride on the hard shoulder, that is an accident waiting to happen! Sand, gravel, parked vehicles, traffic coming the wrong way!

I would never ride in the lanes of the highway, that's fine on a big bike but not a PCX. No small bikes are stable enough to ride at speeds of 90 KHs and you need at least that if you are riding on the lanes Your last sentence is spot on though, I can understand M/Cs riding the wrong way on the hard shoulder, when they come towards me I slow right down, and refuse to move out, then they also have to slow down, I always leave room for them on my inside.

Some hard shoulders are narrower than others, you just have to use some common sense and make sure you are safe.

No small bikes are stable enough to ride at speeds of 90 KHs...

Damn!! I better tell my friends who commute on Waves, Scoopys, Finos, Jelatos etc... at 100-110 kmph to stop! They probably just don't realize their bikes are unstable!! My modified Kawi 125 at 140 must be a nightmare - how is it I missed this obvious 'instability'??!! LOL!! wink.png

• Like 1

I would have thought that the person to judge what speed is safest for them is the person themselves.....hardly a question for another to answer?

I agree and ''Whatsa safe speed ?'' is an unanwserable query at best .Pointless question infact ,.Not just in Thaiaalnd but anywere in the world there is muiltple variences>>"Whats a safespeed on the road"? Safe in terms of what? Safe for whom? Safe for you ?Safe for others?There's no one answer that will satisfy every rider as everyone has their own views of safety.

Perfectly right. There is no such thing as a "safe" speed as it depends on many factors.

The idea of this thread is more to discuss and debate as to whether riding slower is necessarily safer than riding faster, conditions permitting. Some riders seem to adhere to a maximum speed limit, regardless of conditions, in the belief that going any faster than that would be dangerous. I beg to differ, which is why I opened this thread for discussion and sharing of opinions.

If I had a big bike instead of a PCX, I would agree with you, but I would try not to break the 120 speed limit. the power of the persons bike has a lot to do with what speed you ride at to stay safe, you just have to use common sense, IMHO, after drunk driving, speed is the biggest cause of accidents, although I stand to be corrected.

Damn!! I better tell my friends who commute on Waves, Scoopys, Finos, Jelatos etc... at 100-110 kmph to stop! They probably just don't realize their bikes are unstable!! My modified Kawi 125 at 140 must be a nightmare - how is it I missed this obvious 'instability'??!! LOL!! wink.png

I'm sorry Mikebike, but IMHO, the bikes you mention (I have never heard of a Jelato) are not stable enough for speeds of 100-110 Kmph.

I'm sorry Mikebike, but IMHO, the bikes you mention (I have never heard of a Jelato) are not stable enough for speeds of 100-110 Kmph.

Gelato is Suzuki's version of Fino/Scoopy: http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/products_detail.php?id=91

I AM curious as to what sort of 'instability' you encounter on smaller bikes? A properly serviced, tyred, and maintained 125 can easily cruise at 100kmph or more. Tracking is true, one hand riding is easy and no-hands doable. Braking is more than enough - I can stop faster than cars travelling at the same speed. Wind buffeting is a pain compared to 'big-bikes' but its not a safety issue. Where exactly do stability gremlins affect you?

I am not trying to be an arse, I am genuinely curious of your opinion.

Gelato is Suzuki's version of Fino/Scoopy: http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/products_detail.php?id=91

I AM curious as to what sort of 'instability' you encounter on smaller bikes? A properly serviced, tyred, and maintained 125 can easily cruise at 100kmph or more. Tracking is true, one hand riding is easy and no-hands doable. Braking is more than enough - I can stop faster than cars travelling at the same speed. Wind buffeting is a pain compared to 'big-bikes' but its not a safety issue. Where exactly do stability gremlins affect you?

I am not trying to be an arse, I am genuinely curious of your opinion.

Your last sentence, I know your not, we have been having a good debate, and I fully respect your opinion. When I first came to stay in Thailand nine years ago, I bought a new Wave 125. When I was doing about 60 KPHs, I said to myself, "I never want to go any faster on this bike", I was never interested in speed anyway. Maybe I am wrong, but that's just the way I think. I kept the bike for six years, and 53.000 kilos, It was always reliable and had no major repairs. I then decided to get a Fino, I good reliable bike, but no way could I imagine it doing 90 KHMs, and the fuel economy was dreadful, much less than the Wave.

The PCX, I just love it, great economy, I just love everything about it, but we all have an opinion, and it will always be good to debate with you, as it is with Dave-Boo 112 and of course the OP.

• Like 2

So I see it as a comfort-level thing then. You are riding at a pace with-in your perceived safety zone. It is not a judgement of the engineering/mechanical abilities of the bike. I would be interested in know what, if any, motorbike experience you had back home?

I tend to prefer 'big-wheel' scooters over the small-wheel automatics (finos, scoopys, and to a lesser extent pcxs) because the larger-diameter front wheel IS more stable under extreme (read: just about to wipe-out) conditions.

If needs be, I would ride along at higher speeds, 180+ kmh or so and I would be the first to admit that this is not always the safest thing to do. My personal preference when on touring rides (and conditions permitting) is around 130-140 kmh (slower through moobans and towns, twisties, higher through sweeping curves).

However, I feel that it's a lot more dangerous to be pottering on the hard shoulder or side of the road at lower speeds with cars overtaking and the side of the road being much "dirtier" (gravel, sand etc).

I just got back from a two month, 10,000km through North Thailand and Laos on my PCX, in truth you tend to ride at the speed the road and conditions allow. I never once set a speed, just varied it with the road and traffic conditions.

For example, Pattaya to Nong Khai, 685km, i rode for 10 hours 15 minutes, because good conditions. But in Laos, Oudon Xai to Phongsali 245km took 9 hours 45 minutes.

I would NEVER ride on the hard shoulder, that is an accident waiting to happen! Sand, gravel, parked vehicles, traffic coming the wrong way!

I would never ride in the lanes of the highway, that's fine on a big bike but not a PCX. No small bikes are stable enough to ride at speeds of 90 KHs and you need at least that if you are riding on the lanes Your last sentence is spot on though, I can understand M/Cs riding the wrong way on the hard shoulder, when they come towards me I slow right down, and refuse to move out, then they also have to slow down, I always leave room for them on my inside.

Some hard shoulders are narrower than others, you just have to use some common sense and make sure you are safe.

Regarding the lane or hard shoulder, we shall have to agree to disagree :) On my last trip, the crap i saw happening in the hard shoulder was so bad, whilst on the main road most were considerate and for most of the time i was riding at the same speed as them.

So I see it as a comfort-level thing then. You are riding at a pace with-in your perceived safety zone. It is not a judgement of the engineering/mechanical abilities of the bike. I would be interested in know what, if any, motorbike experience you had back home?

I tend to prefer 'big-wheel' scooters over the small-wheel automatics (finos, scoopys, and to a lesser extent pcxs) because the larger-diameter front wheel IS more stable under extreme (read: just about to wipe-out) conditions.

Back home I had a Honda 'Dream' 250, before that a CZ, also 250, the CZ was a bit unreliable, but the Honda wasn't.

• Like 1

I just got back from a short ride- while there was quite a bit of traffic for much of it, I spent almost none of it riding surrounded by cars as I would accelerate past them to more open areas whenever possible- my average of 72kph was 'slow', but I would bet that had I been in my car it would have been 60kph (the 178kph was just for a second or two while going through an empty underpass and wasn't typical of the ride). When in traffic, I was always riding somewhat faster (10-15kph, as I mentioned earlier in the thread), and that's my usual guideline- when the road was clear, I twisted the throttle a bit.

I would say I was 'safe' as far as speed went the entire time for this particular ride on my particular bike with my level of ability- at different times of day for the same route, my average would be higher or lower. Someone else may have ridden faster or slower and been just as 'safe' (I need to put 'safe' in quotes as we're never really in that state on a motorcycle- sometimes we're just safer than other times;)). Of course there are those who will say having hit a speed over 160kph I was inherently unsafe- I would disagree with them.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A couple of days ago i did 20kph stretch in 8 minutes.20 seconds

Distance was from a mates car GPS,point to point ,time was stopwatch,comes out about 240kph

Not too bad for a naked bike [full sitting up] .

Was a chance to check my speedo which was showing around 243kph

Quite boring i must say,as i much prefer the winding mountain roads, but had no safety thoughts or issues at the time [apart from some wildlife in the area,which can be as unpredictable as life itself]

Regarding the lane or hard shoulder, we shall have to agree to disagree smile.png On my last trip, the crap i saw happening in the hard shoulder was so bad, whilst on the main road most were considerate and for most of the time i was riding at the same speed as them.

Yes, but you are obviously a big bike rider, but try keeping up with the traffic on the highway on a PCX, or Wave 125. You get crap on most Thai roads and hard shoulders, you just have to adjust as you go and use common sense whether on a big bike or small bike.

^^

The point is that (in my estimation) there was nowhere to safely hit 240kph (200kph, perhaps, in one spot, and not for more than a second or so) on the ride I was referencing- how fast you went on a completely different ride means nothing in that context, but I agree that in some situations higher speeds can be 'safe' (to a degree).

I would need a road that conformed to several perimeters to break 250kph these days- in my younger days in SoCal on my Busa, it was an everyday occurence, but I'm a smarter, better rider now than I was then, and I'm better at picking my spots these days.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

i have been riding big bikes here for 20 years , when in cruise / laid back mode I am at 100-120kph when pushing on a bit 140kph + and sometimes when the red mist hits all the way up to 250kph for a while or until it gets too risky .

on really potholed roads i weave the pothole at about 80kph and on jungle tracks or sand roads usually maintain 60-80 kph on my Ducati monster although at that moment i wish i had a multistrada .

Well, I have read every thread and watched the video. There sure are a lot of opinions, on how fast you should or do drive. But that is not the question. The question was "what is a safe speed". The answer should be, a speed at which you can always be in control, and react to any unforeseen event that should occur, to prevent being in or having an accident. The size of the motorcycle should, be taken into consideration. Not all bikes are built for the same purpose. Small bikes and scooters were built for commuting, not taking 10,000 km trips. Just because Thais ride them at top speed, on the highway, doesn't mean "you" should. How many are killed? Even bikes in the 250cc to 450cc range, are somewhat limited on longer trips. Try riding one, on any interstate, in the US and you'll know. Smaller bikes on extended trips will wear you out. Mid size to larger bikes are better suited for sport riding or touring. The riders ability, experience the type of riding he wants to do helps determine, which bike is better suited for them. But all of these things, do not eliminate "the unforeseen event". The more you exceed your bikes capabilities or over estimate your ability, by excessive speed or aggressive riding, you are closer to having the "unforeseen event". But you have a choice. You just have to make the right one. How you ride your motorcycle and the choices you make are yours. Now for all the "I've been riding for _" and the "I've never had an accident". You have been lucky that's all. It has nothing to do with your skill or ability. Now for my experience on this topic. I've been riding for 45 years. Bought my first bike in 1970, a GT500 Suzuki 2 stroke. Current bike still in the states, a 2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA sport touring. I've had numerous bikes in between. Never owned an American made bike. Wanted to ride not push it. Had one accident in 1977. Riding new GS 750 Suzuki 4 stroke and car pulled from stop sign to cross street. Said he didn't see me. Was only traveling about 35 mph, was lucky. Only ankle sprain and torn jeans, but wrecked bike. Had a 9 month old baby at the time. Gave me a new outlook on life and how quick it could be taken. The days of t-shirts, shorts and tennis shoes are long gone. Today, I only wearfull protective ballistic outerwear with Kevlar and padding. Riding boots, gloves and full face helmet. I also ride to prevent an "unforeseen event."

• Like 1

I just got back from a short ride- while there was quite a bit of traffic for much of it, I spent almost none of it riding surrounded by cars as I would accelerate past them to more open areas whenever possible- my average of 72kph was 'slow', but I would bet that had I been in my car it would have been 60kph (the 178kph was just for a second or two while going through an empty underpass and wasn't typical of the ride). When in traffic, I was always riding somewhat faster (10-15kph, as I mentioned earlier in the thread), and that's my usual guideline- when the road was clear, I twisted the throttle a bit.

I would say I was 'safe' as far as speed went the entire time for this particular ride on my particular bike with my level of ability- at different times of day for the same route, my average would be higher or lower. Someone else may have ridden faster or slower and been just as 'safe' (I need to put 'safe' in quotes as we're never really in that state on a motorcycle- sometimes we're just safer than other times;)). Of course there are those who will say having hit a speed over 160kph I was inherently unsafe- I would disagree with them.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Distance was from a mates car GPS,point to point ,time was stopwatch,comes out about 240kph

Quite boring i must say,as i much prefer the winding mountain roads, but had no safety thoughts or issues at the time [apart from some wildlife in the area,which can be as unpredictable as life itself]

I saw on another thread that youre an austrilian and i also lived there and i believe you but im am not sure were its probable to go 240ksph for so long.like 20k,are there no policing or other limitations to do such a test as you have said?I would like to be included to know how and were to go to try this.Thanking you

Now for my experience on this topic. I've been riding for 45 years. Bought my first bike in 1970, a GT500 Suzuki 2 stroke.

Good post rapom. Although all that experience my have blurred your memory a wee bit... The Suzuki GT series consisted of the 'ram air' GT380 and 550, and the liquid-cooled GT750 'water buffalo'. I remember this well because my first bike was a GT550 - NOT 500!!

Now for my experience on this topic. I've been riding for 45 years. Bought my first bike in 1970, a GT500 Suzuki 2 stroke.

Good post rapom. Although all that experience my have blurred your memory a wee bit... The Suzuki GT series consisted of the 'ram air' GT380 and 550, and the liquid-cooled GT750 'water buffalo'. I remember this well because my first bike was a GT550 - NOT 500!!

I think you are both right, sort of, there was a Suzuki T500, made from 1963 until 1977.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_T_series

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I saw on another thread that youre an austrilian and i also lived there and i believe you but im am not sure were its probable to go 240ksph for so long.like 20k,are there no policing or other limitations to do such a test as you have said?I would like to be included to know how and were to go to try this.Thanking you

The don't need speed cops in Thailand, most of the locals have a shovel.

I think you are both right, sort of, there was a Suzuki T500, made from 1963 until 1977.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_T_series

Well bugger my memory!! GT series was not introduced until '72... So rapom either had a 1970 T500 or a 1972 or onward GT550... Where are you rapom to answer this burning question!!

Did your bike look like this (T500) TWIN:

t_zps8eef1ead.jpg

Or like this (GT550) TRIPLE:

GT_zps5044504a.jpg

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The don't need speed cops in Thailand, most of the locals have a shovel.

Whilst i realise that the OP was about Thailand, the same ideals apply anywhere .

The road is in fact in Aus and it is an ''open speed limit'' stretch on a state highway,how nice is that??

Outside of that 'stretch' though the speed limit varies 100kph and 130kph.

Get caught at 45kph above the posted speed areas you cop a $A1000 fine!!

The worst thing is 6 demerit points also for this one offence.

You only have 12 points to lose in 3 year period.

One must be in the right zone to speed.

Sounds like you guys have it easy in Thailand.

40_60. Is fine for pottering about on the scooter down to 7/11......touring anything from 130 to 150 with a couple of blasts to 170/180 is good and pretty safe.

60 on big roads is putting yourself in dangerous situations

absolutely 100% correct, moving at or slightly faster than the traffic around you keeps you ahead of the game and out of danger, maintaining good visibility of the road ahead is also important, use the power you have to slow and speed up when required

I remember going for a short trip with a friend and he was on his scooter and me on my big bike, managed 60kph and it was the most frightening dangerous thing I've ever done on my bike on a main road, not to mention being stuck in 4th gear most of the time

another point worth mentioning is that these small bikes are good for towns/cities only and semi safe at low speeds, being over confident is your enemy, once you start pushing above 60kph then you are on something that is very unstable and quite frankly dangerous, I have a few guys I know riding those big bouncy scooter things and have had numerous accidents all of which were simple loss of control because they are unstable above 60kph

• Like 2

Whilst i realise that the OP was about Thailand, the same ideals apply anywhere .

The road is in fact in Aus and it is an ''open speed limit'' stretch on a state highway,how nice is that??

Outside of that 'stretch' though the speed limit varies 100kph and 130kph.

Get caught at 45kph above the posted speed areas you cop a $A1000 fine!!

The worst thing is 6 demerit points also for this one offence.

You only have 12 points to lose in 3 year period.

One must be in the right zone to speed.

Sounds like you guys have it easy in Thailand.

Yes we do, that's one reason we moved to Thailand in the first place, freedom is a very nice thing.

Good looking girls is also a good reason if you ask me, 50kg's ones and not 100kg's is another good reason, he-he.

Now this is one hell of a good reason if you ask me. tongue.png

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 2

Ride Alone.

Stay ahead of the cars behind you and behind the cars ahead of you. Keep as much empty space around you as you can.

Watch your mirrors for minibus, Tuna, Merc, other AH's approaching from behind you.

Ride in the center of the road when possible, giving you equal pavement left and right to use in an emergency.

Speed - whatever conditions will handle. No set pace. Sometimes 60, sometimes 200. Depends.

If you stay away from other road users, the only thing that can go wrong is road conditions or your lack of skill.

Or just plain bad luck.

Remember - EVERYBODY is out to kill you

Your post is nearly perfect -- just about says it all about speed and motorcycles in Thailand. But the "200" is IMO just wrong for anyone, anywhere, anytime in Thailand. I wouldn't ever do 200 in my 4 door sedan with a full cage, seatbelts and airbags, why would I go that fast on a motorcycle with none of those protections? I shouldn't, full stop. 120kph is fast enough (too fast for me on a motorcycle) for anyone under any conditions, and happens to be the maximum legal speed limit on any road in Thailand. A short burst for a few hundred meters at 160 - 200 on an open highway with no traffic and good visibility (and a bike with no issues; have a blow out at 200 kph and see what happens) to feel the "rush" is probably ok for some, but to travel at those speeds for any distance is IMHO simply wrong (aka stupid). And (again IMO) anyone that thinks that full gear can offset or compensate and make riding at those speeds "safe" is "livin' la vida loca". Best wishes for safe travel in the New Year to all.

you are probably not quite understanding exactly what the big bike experience is or what it is like or what they are capable of and by that I mean you can accelerate from 100kph to 200kph and back again in a very short time and distance, if you imagine something that can exceed 100kph in 1st gear in under 3 secs you might just about understand that 2nd and 3rd will have you approaching 200kph in a very short overtaking manoeuvre slowing back to cruising speed 120-140kph - I happens in a flash and is generally safe and under control

The biggest danger I have seen in Thailand are drivers coming towards you on B roads (2x lanes) just pulling out to overtake a truck or other slower vehicle with total disregard especially for a motorbike or even doing it on a bend that you may have already committed too - so on the limit riding into a corner is taboo

Ride Alone.

Stay ahead of the cars behind you and behind the cars ahead of you. Keep as much empty space around you as you can.

Watch your mirrors for minibus, Tuna, Merc, other AH's approaching from behind you.

Ride in the center of the road when possible, giving you equal pavement left and right to use in an emergency.

Speed - whatever conditions will handle. No set pace. Sometimes 60, sometimes 200. Depends.

If you stay away from other road users, the only thing that can go wrong is road conditions or your lack of skill.

Or just plain bad luck.

Remember - EVERYBODY is out to kill you

Your post is nearly perfect -- just about says it all about speed and motorcycles in Thailand. But the "200" is IMO just wrong for anyone, anywhere, anytime in Thailand. I wouldn't ever do 200 in my 4 door sedan with a full cage, seatbelts and airbags, why would I go that fast on a motorcycle with none of those protections? I shouldn't, full stop. 120kph is fast enough (too fast for me on a motorcycle) for anyone under any conditions, and happens to be the maximum legal speed limit on any road in Thailand. A short burst for a few hundred meters at 160 - 200 on an open highway with no traffic and good visibility (and a bike with no issues; have a blow out at 200 kph and see what happens) to feel the "rush" is probably ok for some, but to travel at those speeds for any distance is IMHO simply wrong (aka stupid). And (again IMO) anyone that thinks that full gear can offset or compensate and make riding at those speeds "safe" is "livin' la vida loca". Best wishes for safe travel in the New Year to all.

you are probably not quite understanding exactly what the big bike experience is or what it is like or what they are capable of and by that I mean you can accelerate from 100kph to 200kph and back again in a very short time and distance, if you imagine something that can exceed 100kph in 1st gear in under 3 secs you might just about understand that 2nd and 3rd will have you approaching 200kph in a very short overtaking manoeuvre slowing back to cruising speed 120-140kph - I happens in a flash and is generally safe and under control

The biggest danger I have seen in Thailand are drivers coming towards you on B roads (2x lanes) just pulling out to overtake a truck or other slower vehicle with total disregard especially for a motorbike or even doing it on a bend that you may have already committed too - so on the limit riding into a corner is taboo

Good point Smedly. Very often, we are not actually looking at the actual speed we are travelling but focusing on our speed relative to the traffic around us. The main thing (as has been discussed many times) is to stay ahead of the traffic as much as possible to give ourselves the best visibility and create as much escape space as possible when needed.

As you also mentioned, overtaking should be done as quickly as possible and this sometimes mean opening up the throttle fully for a couple of seconds - the speed can easily exceed 160 kph in an instance.