Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:11 AM, gobs said:

...... each time I’ve been told “better to do it a little after the due date has expired” (but no explanation, just no worry). 

Others had explained to me that there's no problem in going in after expiration (although I was unaware of the 3-month time limit for renewal) and, in fact, they advised me to do it as the new 5-year time period would run from my next birthdate.  And that's exactly what happened (went in two days after expiration and got a license good for 5-years, 363 days).

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 3:21 AM, CMBob said:

Others had explained to me that there's no problem in going in after expiration (although I was unaware of the 3-month time limit for renewal) and, in fact, they advised me to do it as the new 5-year time period would run from my next birthdate.  And that's exactly what happened (went in two days after expiration and got a license good for 5-years, 363 days).

Hi CM bob,

Thanks for your input. But maybe things have changed or evolved...

I did yesterday, the 3rd of August, my 5 years to 5 years DL extensions (report below) with a 14th August expiring date (in fact my birth date), and my new DL cards show now the 14th of August 2022 as the new expiring date (not the 3rd). So I think there is no more "prejudice" doing it before in the 90 days time frame...

Well, I suppose :tongue:

Hi all,

My turn for a report for my 5 years to 5 years DL extensions (car + motorbike) yesterday Thursday the 3rd of August…

Previously, Residence Certificate from Immigration Office at Promenada, first floor room 7, done last Monday the 31st of July. Got it on Tuesday (so the next day) for 500 Bahts. A breeze...

Thinking all going rather efficiently from the recent above reports, I first quietly went to the Chiang Mai Klaimor Hospital (on the Hang Dong road about half way to the Transport Office from Airport Plazza) for my medical certificate (5 diseases DL medical check) at 10.30. No long queuing, efficient and kind staff, easy process. For foreigners 150 Bahts (80 Baths for Thais). Out at about 11 and something. Another breeze...

Time for lunch and coffee. Great breeze...

Then slightly before 1pm I arrived at the Transport Office with a confident smile. But there, end of the breezing time: the DL registering central computer was failing from time to time, extending processing and queuing (an apologizing sign on the information desk for the new commers). Sometimes during 5-10 minutes everything stops: no one was able to be called and/or processed…

At least, at 1.30 I was handled a queue card, did the Color Test, then all the foreigners (about 12) were sent to the video room for the famous one hour training video. No luck…

A little after 2.30 got back all my due papers and a new queue card for payment then picture and DL card delivery. Got the number 347 while at the time the number 208 was processed. Sigh…

At 5 and something my number was called. But because of some computer problem, as others experimented previously, the payment process was very slow though the lady officer was very kind and patient. Then picture and DL card delivery in a rush, staff beginning to be in a tired and “nervous” mood, but always kind and efficient…

Finally out with my 2 DL cards at about 5.30 pm...

To put it short it has been a global 4 hours process at the Transport Office alone, including a near 3 hours queuing time.

At least I’m now quiet for the next 5 years!

:laugh:

My previous post above from July 27th could "drive" into big mistakes, sorry. So, please forget it, and as posted earlier by eyecatcher here is an official copy of the papers needed to apply for a 5 years to 5 years Driving Licence extension for foreigners:

20170804_180645.jpg.9fa345e7c0e8e55497dd74d592bf59df.jpg

As I had time yesterday, I asked and was explained by a lady officer the difference between Thai citizens and foreigners:

Thai citizens have just to bring their ID card and their previous DL card(s).

For Thai citizens a medical certificate is only mandatory for the first one year DL and the one year to 5 years renewal. After that no more medical certificate needed…

As well, for Thai citizens the time frame is 90 days before or after the expiring date. After that and up to one year only a special fee will be applied. After the one year expired Thai citizens have to go through a new but usual “theoretical signs and driving rules exam” (videos, dias and questions), the initial one being cancelled. If two years more then you go back to zero (exam + driving test)...

I asked the lady if the delays (90 days after the expiring date, one year, and so on) applied for foreigners. She answered a not so confident “yes” after a moment of hesitation. Like if she were not so sure. So not sure myself either, but… :tongue:

As well she told me they processed about 500 application forms a day, including new DLs and DL extensions. Sure, that’s a lot!

8 hours ago, gobs said:

Hi CM bob,

Thanks for your input. But maybe things have changed or evolved...

I did yesterday, the 3rd of August, my 5 years to 5 years DL extensions (report below) with a 14th August expiring date (in fact my birth date), and my new DL cards show now the 14th of August 2022 as the new expiring date (not the 3rd). So I think there is no more "prejudice" doing it before in the 90 days time frame...

Well, I suppose :tongue:

You missed my point.  Yes, going in on or prior to your expiration date will result in you getting 5 years from your expiration date and you'll get the same 5-year time period (starting from your expiration date) regardless of how many days prior to your expiration date/birthdate that you go in to get it done.  What I was pointing out was that you get 5 years from your next birthday if you go in after expiration.  That's what I (and many friends) have done in CM and we've essentially gotten an almost 6 year license (6 years less the number of days since your expiration/birthdate).  Maybe that's changed in the interim (it's been a year or so since I pulled that trick).

Edited by CMBob
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CMBob said:

You missed my point.  Yes, going in on or prior to your expiration date will result in you getting 5 years from your expiration date and you'll get the same 5-year time period (starting from your expiration date) regardless of how many days prior to your expiration date/birthdate that you go in to get it done.  What I was pointing out was that you get 5 years from your next birthday if you go in after expiration.  That's what I (and many friends) have done in CM and we've essentially gotten an almost 6 year license (6 years less the number of days since your expiration/birthdate).  Maybe that's changed in the interim (it's been a year or so since I pulled that trick).

Ah! Oh! Errrr... Yes I completely missed your point, my bad. And now that I understand it, this may explain why my wife five years ago got a 6 years extension. As her birth date is on the 8th of August and mine on the 14th, five years ago we decided to apply for our 5 years to 5 years renewals both on the 10th of August (bills still in some folder here at home). As she applied 2 days after the expiring date she got a 6 years extension (less 2 days) until the 8th of August 2018, while I being 4 days before I only got a "regular" 5 years extension until the 14th of August 2017.

Great you made this point clearer to me CMBob. It well may explain the above...

Thanks for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Extending the 5 year license with another 5 years:

* I recommend showing up at 2:45pm on a Friday. 

* Just need old DL, passport and something that confirms your address (Work Permit or othewise)

* Don't need medical cert, don't need photo, a couple copies can be made cheaply right there at the office; the dude at the copier knows what to copy.

* My DL was expired by 2+ months already;  no prob.

* Fill in your name on a form and submit the copies.

* Very quick session to identify red, green and yellow blobs: no more reaction-time test, and you just identify the color by calling it out.

* Sit through 30-40 minutes of training video that starts at 3pm. They'll cut it short as staff want to get out of there not too long after 4 on a Friday, LOL.

* Pay 505 Baht.

* Get photo taken, then they print the new drivers license which you receive right away.

Total time taken: about an hour and a half.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 5:26 PM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

* Just need old DL, passport and something that confirms your address (Work Permit or othewise)

* Don't need medical cert, don't need photo, a couple copies can be made cheaply right there at the office; the dude at the copier knows what to copy.

* Very quick session to identify red, green and yellow blobs: no more reaction-time test, and you just identify the color by calling it out.

* Sit through 30-40 minutes of training video that starts at 3pm. They'll cut it short as staff want to get out of there not too long after 4 on a Friday, LOL.

* Pay 505 Baht.

* Get photo taken, then they print the new drivers license which you receive right away.

Was this at the office on HD road? 

Mine is due next month and I may take a run out this Friday to give it a go.

David

On 9/1/2017 at 5:26 PM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

* Pay 505 Baht.

My experience was much the same, except that they did want the Medical Certificate. 

For the cost of 100 Baht, I would suggest that a Med. Cer.  always be taken.

16 minutes ago, Dr Donna Robinson said:

In most cases, a medical certificate is always needed for renewing a license. They can be made at MedConsult Clinic in bangkok

You might find Loi Kroh Medical Clinic in Chiang Mai a bit more convenient than one in Bangkok. I've used them before. Quick, easy, and inexpensive.

David

• 5 weeks later...

To clarify: if you extend a 5 year license with another 5 years you don't need the medical certificate; when extending a 1 year one for your first 5 year license then you do need a medical certificate.  Any small hospital or clinic will do for this, the smaller the better.  (Like, Mor Wong hospital near Sanpakhoi, LOL. )

Today my Thai wife had to go from a one year car licence to the 5 .Got the medical certificate,which was required,70 b, from Dr Morgan's Clinic just down the road. Dropped her off at 1.30 pm expecting to pick her up 2-3 hours later.Was home in 10 mins and got the call 5 mins later to pick her up.She only had to do the colour blind test,no video,505 baht, out the door.Actually got 6 years as renewal a few days overdue,

Afternoons the time to go.Very quick & efficient

• 2 weeks later...

Renewed my 5 year license earlier this year before returning to UK. I was on a tourist visa. They said I could only get a two year renewal which I said was fine. However they gave me five years anyway at the end of the process. When I renewed on a Friday afternoon I was the only Foreigner in the group. Take usual paperwork and smile and hope for the best. 

Edited by Scotcm
Typo

Just went by the DL office on Hang Dong Rd this morning and it was closed. I didn't find any sign saying when it would be open again. 

Anyone know what hours they are keeping this week? I need to go renew my licenses.

Thanks

David

Just returned from the Hang Dong Road driver's license office with brand new 6-year car and motorcycle licenses. Easy as anything. Showed up with the proper paperwork (Cert of residence, medical cert. passport, old expired licenses) at about 1:30 p.m. Because I got there after it had started, I missed about 20 minutes of the very educational video - LOL. Took my number to wait to pay. I was number 417 and they were serving number 302. The numbers changed slowly until about 4:15 when they really started to roll. Mine came up. Paid my money and was out by 4:30 with 2 brand new licenses. Since my licenses had expired last Sunday (22 Oct), the 5 years doesn't start until my birthday next year. :) 

All in all a very easy and pleasant experience.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few questions.

1. For a scooter license, I just do a test, no need to drive around some cones.... read some post, no one mentioned it, just making sure.

2. The google map link in the sticky is broke, and I'm seeing 2 possible locations when I search, is it the Land Transport Office or Land Transport Department?

3. Other than medical checkup and residency form, what else do I need. Links are broken on the sticky.

Cheers

Just a few questions.

1. For a scooter license, I just do a test, no need to drive around some cones.... read some post, no one mentioned it, just making sure.

2. The google map link in the sticky is broke, and I'm seeing 2 possible locations when I search, is it the Land Transport Office or Land Transport Department?

3. Other than medical checkup and residency form, what else do I need. Links are broken on the sticky.

Cheers
I just renewed my 2 year scooter and auto licenses. As I was in a visa-on-arrival I had to sit through a video. As with my first application I did not take a driving test. I believe that elsewhere in this thread it's mentioned that you will need a valid and current license to avoid the driving test.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back from the "smoke" on Tuesday night 10-00 pm....Etihad/Bankok Airways...wife picked me up and back to bann.

Wednesday morning downloaded Res.Immi. Form for DL...filled in and headed to the Prom ...Room 7 nice Guy ...Ha Roi Bt..x 5 minutes...come back tomorrow at 1-00pm.

Thursday Picked up at 12-59...2 minutes...kop khun gao......beeline to Driving Centre...

Arrived after 1-30...quick...green light..amber light..Fai Deng...good into video room missed 30 minutes but Mai Pen etc...

2-30...PM new 5 Year Driving License...510 Bt...sip Bt for wallet......

3-00PM ...Jens Coffee Shop in Makro...

..Back in Town.....Nice day...what..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick recap on my driving licence that I renewed today.

Arrived at 1pm today (Wednesday), all done by 2:45pm.  No line-ups. No hassles. Renewed my 5-year licence for another 5-year period (plus 1 year bonus as it had expired a few days earlier, so my licence now valid for 6 years, until Feb 2024). Most of the time was spent watching the educational video. Only had to do a ten-second color test.  A medical certificate was not requested, since I already had a 5-year licence.

The office is closed tomorrow (March 1, 2018) due to a government holiday (Makha Bucha day).

My temp 2 yr car licence expires soon & I wish to then apply for a 5 yr licence. Is it possible to let the 2 yr one expire & then apply for 5 yr licence a couple of days later so I actually end up with a 6 yr licence? Or does that move only apply/succeed when renewing an existing 5 yr licence?

Thanks in anticipation pf words of wisdom.

5 hours ago, Pesky said:

My temp 2 yr car licence expires soon & I wish to then apply for a 5 yr licence. Is it possible to let the 2 yr one expire & then apply for 5 yr licence a couple of days later so I actually end up with a 6 yr licence? Or does that move only apply/succeed when renewing an existing 5 yr licence?

Thanks in anticipation pf words of wisdom.

Yes, you can apply after your 2-year temporary license expires (I'm not sure of the time limit but some have said up to a year afterwards).  Your new 5-year license will run 5 years from your next birthday (so, yes, if your 2-year license in fact expires on your birthday, then you can get almost 6 years).  

Last week I went to the Land Transport office to get me an International Drivers license (IDL) so I can rent a car in Italy next month.  A valid Thai DL is not itself sufficient- I needed to provide copies of all my passport data and non-immigrant visa and obtain from the US Consulate a residency affidavit ($50). So I returned with all the paperwork Wed, they processed the paperwork, and gave me a form to sign. I noticed the IDL form referenced my previous passport no. and asked them to correct it.  Oh, that’s another 55B to update your passport info and you need to go pay for copies of your passport data (never mind they had all that passport copies already).  OK. I go get the copies, pay the money.  They give me a new IDL form to sight w/the correct passport BUT wait- first you (me) need to get a new Thai DL to replace the current one since your passport no. is now changed in our system. I say I don’t want a new Thai DL as it expires in 6 months and I’ll get the new one then. Oh no; no new Thai DL, no IDL.....OK. I go process for a new Thai DL, and return to the desk to get my IDL. No can do..They tell me to come back Friday to pick it up since Thursday is a holiday.

So I went back to the Land Transport office for the third time in a little over a week today and finally got my IDL. See you in 6 months when it’s time to renew my Thai DL. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am 82 and renewed my Thai driver’s license  on 26 March 2018 (a Tuesday) at Chiangmai Land Transport office and went through the following procedure: arrived at the 2nd floor reception desk at 10:30 a.m. with my passport, residency certificate (free but requires a 2-week wait) from the Immigration office at Promenada, a medical certificate (costing Baht 200) from a government hospital as it is cheaper, my old driver’s license, and a photo copy of my passport photo page and visa page). I was given cue #236 and told to report to counter 27 to hand over my documents and passport, and there was given an eye test to identify red, green and yellow disks on a chart.  There was no reaction test or depth perception test although the equipment was there. I was then sent to Room 3 to watch an hour-long movie (in English) on safe driving, and then it was back to the seating area to wait about two hours for my cue #236 to be called at which I paid Baht 555 for the license. I then took another cue # to have my photo taken and license processed, which took about 20-30 minutes. All in all not a bad experience.

On 13/01/2018 at 8:17 PM, MaxKrap94 said:

Hi guys,

I just did my license yesterday and wanted to give you guys an updated version, just incase any one was looking for this. This is as of january 12th 2018. 

As I’ve been stopped by the police two times already and had to pay fines, I thought I’ll just find it out myself.
Good news - You can get a drivers license for a car or motorbike on a tourist visa.

As of Jan. 12th 2018

What do you need:

1) Residency certificate.

- 2 passport photos

- copy of passport (first page, immigration card, latest entry stamp, visa page)

- letter of your landlord stating where you stay, or  rental contract, or yellow book

- residency certificate application (I’ll be so free to post a link to chiang mai buddy here, if that’s not okay, please let me know:  https://chiangmaibuddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Thai-Residency-Certificate-Form.pdf)
- 500 Baht

2) Health certificate.

- 40 - 100 Baht and 15 minutes

Later on you will also need another copy of all the above mentioned passport pages for the arartment of land transport, to apply for your drivers license. You need one set of each of these for each drivers license. So if you want to make the motorcycle and the car license you need:

- 2 residency certificates
- 2 health certificates

(copies as the second document are totally fine)

And a total of:

- 2 passport photos

- 3 copys of each of the above mentioned passport pages

- letter of your landlord stating where you are, or rental contract, or yellow book
- residency certificate application

If you only need one license you need:

- 1 residency certificate

- 1 health certificate

And a total of:

- 2 passport photos
- 2 copys of each of the above mentioned passport pages

- letter of your landlord stating where you are, or rental contract, or yellow book
- residency certificate application

1)  To get the residency certificate, go to the promenada mall. That’s where the immigration office for chiang mai is located, they prolong your visa and also there is the guy who gives out the residency certificate.

There is a copy shop where you can make copies, and left of it is an office with milky glass doors, labeled office number 7, that’s where you have to go to get the certificate.
Just give the man everything he needs, also the 500 Baht and come back the next day, from 1pm on.
First thing done.
Btw, I think it doesn’t matter if your passport says you can  only stay 20 more days or 2 months, I got mine when I could only stay 20 more days.

2) Now you need to get a health certificate, I went to a small clinic near Ratchapat university in santhitham. Don’t be fooled like me, when you hear the word clinic, it is basically just a room with a guy sitting behind the desk. Just say drivers license, and he’ll know what’s up. Give him your passport, wait until he put your name and everything on a paper, put a stamp on it and them hand him 40 baht. That’s it. The building has green letters on a white sign at the ceiling in front of it, here’s a map for that: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=18.805291&lon=98.986339&z=19&m=b It’s the small square labeled clinic.

3) Go to the department of Land Transport on the way to hang dong. After passing the airport on your way to hang dong and big c, you will see a blue sign with a helmet to your left, that’s where you enter.
The acquisition of the drivers license takes 2 days.
The first day I was there at about 7:30 am. I was greeted by a man who gave me a paper. You have to write down you phone number there and make a cross if you want to make a new license, just kindly ask the guy which one is for a new license and he will tell you. On the internet there is often still the old application form, but you don’t need it. At about 8 am we where allowed to go upstairs and hand a guy at counter 27 our passport and copies and the application, you’ll get a number in return.
Now go to room number 1, he’ll probably tell you so anyway, and just sit here until 10 with the other students and demonstrate that you can tell which color is red, green and yellow.
After that you go to a test where you sit in a chair and have 2 pedals on the floor in front of you , one is the gas pedal the other one the brake pedal and in front of you is a “traffic light”.
Rest your right foot on the gas pedal as long as the light is green, and as soon as it turns red press the brake button. The time you have to press the brake is generous, so no worries.

After that you will have 2 hours of thai driving lecture with English subtitle. Nothing too fancy, I slept most of that time.
From 12pm to 1pm you have a break, I went to big C to get some food, it’s left around the corner.

And then again from 1pm to 4pm you have another film and also the teacher then handed out some books to learn about the different thai signs.

And that’s it, training day is over! I would recommend learning some of the questions online. They are pretty easy and if you use common sense and just make the test on this website http://thaidriving.info twice or three times, you will most surely pass.

Now the next day you arrive at 10am at the Deparment of Land Transport and make the e-exam, the theory test. You’ll go to room number four, and then the numbers will be called which you had on your little card from yesterday, which you got in turn for your documents - remember? So try to remember that number.
The whole process is pretty straight forward. You’ll get an electronic card, put it into the computer, finish the test, pull out the card - DONE. You’ll be handed back your documents from the beginning + a stamp and a signature saying that you passed.

After that you’ll leave the building and head to the right hand side. You’ll most likely see the track for the motorbike practical test, and also another small building. Go in there, hand them your documents, sign your name in that paper and do something in your spare time, because the test starts at 1pm.

It’s easy. First off, do not take the helmet off ever. With ever I mean, not until you got your papers back in your hand and passed.
Second, if you stop, put both your legs on the ground.

The test is pretty easy: You drive until the blue arrow, where you turn right. Then at the stop sign you stop, count till 3 and turn left over the “hill”. Turn left at the end of the street, follow the road and drive zig-zag through the cones. At the next line stop again. Now that’s the part I feared the most, because I read so much about it, but actually it’s super easy. Driving over a stone ledge. It’s about 30cm in width and 15m long, easy doing just go over it in a normal speed. Finally stop at the arrow, count till 3 and you’re done - YEY!!
Collect your stuff from the guy - still wearing your helmet - and go back to the main building.

Here you go up again, to the info counter this time. Show the woman your documents and she will hand you a number. Wait until that number is called for, go to the counter which it says on the screen next to your number and pay 105 Baht.
Next up go to take a photo behind the guys at the counter, the entrance is in between the two long counters.

Take the photo, pay 10 Baht for a cover for your license if you want it and you are finally DONE! :)

Now you have a temporary license for 2 years.

All in all it cost:

105 Baht for the license
10 Baht for the cover

40 Baht for the Health certificate

500 Baht for the residency certificate

That’s 655 Baht, for a motorbike license.

I hope that’s easy to understand and you guys can follow it and it takes away some of the confusion. Happy new year everyone! :))

You do not have to pay for a residence certificate, it is FREE ---BUT you must wait 14 days to get it.  Only pay if you need 24 hour service.  At present you do NOT NEED a medical certificate for renewals [this may change soon].

• 2 weeks later...