Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

Apologies if it's been covered before - but couldn't find it. My 2 year Thai drivers licence expired in May while I was out of the country for a chunk of time. Does anyone know if this affects me getting an extension - i.e. will I have to sit the testing all over again? Or would it just be a normal extension process? Just wondering how much time to set aside for doing it. Currently banking on wasting the whole day up there...

On 9/25/2018 at 8:35 PM, SammyT said:

Apologies if it's been covered before - but couldn't find it. My 2 year Thai drivers licence expired in May while I was out of the country for a chunk of time. Does anyone know if this affects me getting an extension - i.e. will I have to sit the testing all over again? Or would it just be a normal extension process? Just wondering how much time to set aside for doing it. Currently banking on wasting the whole day up there...

I just had the same thing after my license had expired just under 6 months previous. You are fine to extend it and you will get 5 birthdays on your new license. I had to take a medical certificate, work permit (or proof of residence), passport as well as copies of all photo and visa pages.

Get there a little bit before 8 and you can bank on getting out in a couple of hours. You will need to go to the info desk, take the application they give you to desk 25 (I think) where you will get a queue number to do your colour blindness test. Sometimes they do the circle of colours and sometimes they do the traffic light test. All being well you will fly through that and then pay for your license, get your photo done and be on your way. 

• Like 1

It was quite painless when I extended my driving license for 5 years.

I didn't need to go early before 9 am, everything was quite systematic except we have to go to many different counters.

If you have both motorcycle and car, just photocopy medical cert and residence cert, there's no need to get two original copies from doctor.

Edited by EricTh

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

It was quite painless when I extended my driving license for 5 years.

I didn't need to go early before 9 am, everything was quite systematic except we have to go to many different counters.

If you have both motorcycle and car, just photocopy medical cert and residence cert, there's no need to get two original copies from doctor.

Yeah I was the same. Arrived at 9am, was gone by 9.50am. Way more efficient than last time, and the staff were really friendly. 

I have valid auto and motorcycle licenses, both of which we're issued in Chiang Mai and will expire in February 2019.

A friend (who I suspect maybe really doesn't know what he's talking about) said I have to renew in Chiang Mai. I'll still be in Thailand, but nowhere near CM at that time. 

And I'm not a full time resident, have been doing 6 months in the US, 6 months here for the last few years.

Will a receipt from the hotel I stay at in Chiang Mai work for proof of residence? Does it need to be dated Feb 2019?

Thanks,

DS

26 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

I have valid auto and motorcycle licenses, both of which we're issued in Chiang Mai and will expire in February 2019.

A friend (who I suspect maybe really doesn't know what he's talking about) said I have to renew in Chiang Mai. I'll still be in Thailand, but nowhere near CM at that time. 

And I'm not a full time resident, have been doing 6 months in the US, 6 months here for the last few years.

Will a receipt from the hotel I stay at in Chiang Mai work for proof of residence? Does it need to be dated Feb 2019?

Thanks,

DS

You either need a certificate of residence or your work permit with your address in there. I doubt a receipt from a hotel would be sufficient. I reckon you could probably still renew it outside of Chiang Mai though using that residency cert.

Thanks SammyT!

Last time the Hotel receipt did the trick, but was staying there at the time I got the license. I just had to be sure it included the physical address, which does not always appear on their receipts.

I make a point to be an easy tenant, speak well enough to be polite and friendly so the receptionist was OK with writing it out on one that has the address, phone# etc. 

Was just curious if anyone else who isn't a full time resident had done a renewal with this sort of 'residency'

DS

After many years a scofflaw, I finally made it down to LTD (khon song) in Hang Dong.  First time motorcycle license.  They checked my paperwork and gave me a form telling me to report back a week from tomorrow for the tests, etc.  Probably to do with language issues, although my Thai served me fine when I got my car license. Many green and grey farang types there these days. Don't know if this is a new system, and not a big problem for me, but I thought it worth mentioning.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:12 AM, stephenterry said:

I recently renewed my passport. Am I required (by Thai law) to change my driving licence old passport number?

No.

BUT, when I applied for an International Driver License (IDL) for a driving holiday in Europe, as the IDL being processed would identify my expired passport number off of my Thai DL, I did have to first obtain a new Thai DL based on my valid passport and then was able to obtain the IDL with the proper valid passport number included....

• Like 1

Hello. I just arrived in CM, after a long stay in my home country. Previous to that lived BKK for 9 years.

I have applied for a non imm ED, which I'm awaiting the paperwork from MOE for. 

I need to get legal on the road asap (scooter), but to my understanding, it's not possible to get a license without TM30, and it is not possible to get TM30 without a proper visa?

So basically I have to wait for my MOE paperwork, leave the country to get ED visa at outside consulate, get TM30, and only then can I apply for a motorbike license?

Do I have these steps in order? Thanks

Edited by om3n1rpak

1 hour ago, om3n1rpak said:

Hello. I just arrived in CM, after a long stay in my home country. Previous to that lived BKK for 9 years.

I have applied for a non imm ED, which I'm awaiting the paperwork from MOE for. 

I need to get legal on the road asap (scooter), but to my understanding, it's not possible to get a license without TM30, and it is not possible to get TM30 without a proper visa?

So basically I have to wait for my MOE paperwork, leave the country to get ED visa at outside consulate, get TM30, and only then can I apply for a motorbike license?

Do I have these steps in order? Thanks

Yup, I'd say that's correct. Whatever sort of health insurance you have here, it's also probably worth checking that they cover scooter accidents, because some on't and people get caught out with sizeable medical bills in the event of an accident. 

On 12/29/2014 at 3:15 PM, craigt3365 said:

Very detailed post. Excellent information!

Agred a good well written post.

I only come for 3 months then go back to London for 3 months work I haven't got my retirement visa yet, although old enough and have funds, and whilst the office at the driving licence place are very helpful I always get a two year renewal is that normal. It doesn't matter, but 5 years obviously easier to renew.

Went to renew my 5 year Car driving licence today after a ten minute visit to Klaimore Hospital for Medical Cert; which by the way is a requirement still for ALL licence applications despite some people saying it's not needed.    If you turn up without one you will be told to go and get one.

Arrived at 1st Floor Licence Office at 12.45pm, papers checked and given ticket for 1.20 pm Colour Blindness and Brake Tests.  Duly called along with 39 others at 1.20, did the tests in minutes and then for the first time ever i was sent to Room 3 to watch the 1 hour Movie.  I guess they thought after getting away with it twice before it was time they 'got me' !    Funniest part was in the next room, which could be clearly seen through the windows, where about 50-70 Young Thai's were 'supposed' to be watching the new 2 hour Movie they are required to watch as part of their 'Driving Test'.  I say they were 'supposed' to watch because almost without exception they all had their heads in their phone's and were paying little or no attention to the Movie whatsoever !

After wasting an hour of my life learning nothing (well; i have been driving for more than 55 years) i was sent to pay my 505 Baht and thence to get my photo taken and a shiny new 5 year licence expiring on my November Birthday in 2023.

It was interesting to note that this office works with a staggered lunch break and therefore, although the service slows down it never stops.   If only Immigration would work in such a way in their 'new' office.

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

Was not asked for medical certificate, that was on Monday. So you don't need one for all licences, didn't have one, wasn't told to go and get one either.

You heard them tell someone to go and get one?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Dutch Guy in front of me for paper checking didn't have one and was told to get one.   The Lady gave him the list of requirements the same as i have and it is quite clearly stated on the list.

42 minutes ago, om3n1rpak said:

Going to get moto license soon. Do I need to bring a bike for the driving portion of the test?

Best to bring your own...but someone there would let you "borrow" ( for a small fee)

theirs for the practical test.