Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Brilliant emoji3.pngemoji106.png ...I wonder if it'll work in the UK too 

8 minutes ago, johng said:

Brilliant emoji3.pngemoji106.png ...I wonder if it'll work in the UK too ?

No

Thailand licence can not be exchanged for UK anymore, you could before but if you get a Thai international driving permit you can use in the UK until it runs out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/law-on-driving-licence-exchange-tightened-to-improve-road-safety

When I ‘lost’ my UK bike licence I used my Thai one and insurer accepted fine a bit more expensive.

24 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

About two weeks ago. Make sure you get there early, as they start handing out the queue tickets 8 AM.

Is that necessary for a straight 5-year renewal, or just necessary to get done by lunchtime. I vaguely remember when I did this a year ago I went about 9.30 or 10, had lunch at Big C and finished things in the afternoon. I will have all day to spend in Chiang Mai.

The last time my (car) licence had expired 10 months previously so I had to watch a 1-hour video and do the theory test again. Is the video required for a normal renewal?

Edited by orientalist

19 hours ago, orientalist said:

Is that necessary for a straight 5-year renewal, or just necessary to get done by lunchtime. I vaguely remember when I did this a year ago I went about 9.30 or 10, had lunch at Big C and finished things in the afternoon. I will have all day to spend in Chiang Mai.

The last time my (car) licence had expired 10 months previously so I had to watch a 1-hour video and do the theory test again. Is the video required for a normal renewal?

Yes, you could go there 10 or something and get your number and return in the afternoon. Video is required.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2015 at 9:25 PM, onthedarkside said:

In that case you might not need to take the car practical test, but if you have no motorcycle endorsement on your US licence then you will for sure need to take the m/bike practical test.

I have a UK driving licence for car and motorbike. I.sm going to apply for my first Thai license.

Can I assume that the above status quo holds and I won't need to take the practical test, just watch the video and pass the colour blind, reflexes tests, etc?

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JT65 said:

Thanks so much
Is there another way to get the licence without spending two days at the transport office?
Private School?

Sent from my G3226 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not sure. When I did it a few years back it was only a half hour theory test and a 60 second practical test. The times they are a changin'...

47 minutes ago, JT65 said:

Yes, the first day is from. 9am to 4pm for training only and then the next day is another full day of practical training.

Given the amount of death and destruction on the roads involving motos, it's probably not a bad thing, to be fair. 

My Thai wife and myself went to renew our car drivers license today. She renewed 5 year to 5 year and I renewed a 2 year to a 5 year. Here is some information that I had trouble finding before I went that might help others. You can renew both types up to 90 days prior to expiration. I was required to have the medical certificate but they gave hers back and said not required now. The large sign at the top of the stairs states otherwise so this must be a recent change. I only had to take the color test and received my new license in a couple of hours. She had to do the reaction time test, color test, and watch an approximate one hour video. It took her 4 hours to receive her license. We got there at 8am. The documents that the DLT website say are required are correct with the exception of the actual registration form that is not required as they will provide a filled in form for you that you only need to sign. All and all it was quite painless and I would recommend bringing exact change as when I paid the 505 baht fee they seemed a little disturbed when I did not have the 5 baht change.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

21 hours ago, stament said:

Got my first Thai car and motorbike license. Crazy that you pass the test without going on a public road.....

Oh well TIT....

Well if you previously had a licence quite understandable.A word of advice if you havent been here long ,practice defensive driving ie treat everyone else on the road as a potential idiot as many are,you will live longer.

2 weeks ago,going around the moat in heavy traffic, a 30 ish Thai guy in huge pick up with bull bars u turned & back ended us in his pretty new ,uninsured vehicle .I saw it coming and managed to accelerate forward without hitting the car in front of me.He offered to pay 1,000 baht cash for our damage which my wife & i  just laughed at and she demanded to see his ID card and licence while she was on the phone to our insurance people .My wife is normally very quiet and polite but she gave this guy both barrels,she kept his ID card and gave it to the Ins guy who quickly came by motor bike.

The  excuse from him was was he was off to see his mother (huh) and he said he worked for the Government as if we would be impressed.He refused to pay the Insurance company more even he admitted fault so our Insurance guy said "ok we will leave it to the police "he suddenly had a change of heart.

Only relating this long drawn out episode to illustrate what can happen to anyone.We lost our car for a week and were house bound while it was repaired.Dont try to take action yourself if you are in an accident leave it up to the insurance people.Chok dee

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to clarify Medical certificate for renewals ( as across different post's some say required and others say not required.  
Did my 5 year renewal today. Not required 100%.

So a big thumbs up for me for not going and getting one like I did the last two 5 yr renewals ???? 
There's even a big requirements board (top of stairs, immediate left) that states, YES you need it for initial ONE year licence and NOT on list of requirements for FIVE year licence and subsequent renewals.
Residence Cert Original (or work permit or Yellow book & copies)
Passport
Drivers and/or Riders Licences
Copy of passport Facepage
Copy of Visa or visa extension page
Copy of last entry stamp
Copy of TM6 Departure Card
Extra copies id both drivers & riders licences and residence cert
Procedure:
Have all the above ready to roll or do the copies there (far end of 2nd floor)
Go to info desk, they'll check you have evertything and give  you form/s (only have to sign and add tel no)
Go to Desk 27 to submit paperwork and they will give you queue no ( I went in the morning and was given a number but told to come back at 1.
Next step they call out a group ( by queue no eg.1 to 75) to go behind  Desk 27 and do a colour vision test and a brake response test.
You will then collect your paperwork and head to a nominated room.
Most likely it will be to room 3 for Road safety/rules/etiquette videos in English ( the last 3 times I did them in room 2 in Thai, just as boring but a few road rules I never picked up when watching the thai version)
After the video you head back to desk 27 and have a new number which is the cashiers number....after your number has been called and you pay head back to the opening beside desk 27 and use the same number for the new queue which is the photo and the licence printing. And then your set!!!!
Fees ( I think car the same and motorbike went up, but not sure):
Application Form 5 Baht per licence
Private Drivers 500 Baht
Private Riders 250 Baht
Total for both licences 760 Baht

Notes.
My licence expired last week and I got the next 5 birthdays method, so effectively a 6 year expiring in 2568 (2025)
For whatever reason this was the first time I never had to do the regular eye test (ABC, gor gai kor kai, numbers etc).....not that I was worried, my long vision is perfect but arms aren't long enough to read without glasses nowadays ???? 
Hope this is of use to someone.
Don't go the day after a public holiday....it was still quite breezy but took a tad longer than my other times

Edited by bloody tiger

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have recent experience of getting a motorbike license when using a license from another country to avoid doing the vison tests?  Someone on Facebook said he got a Thai Driver's license without having to do the color or depth-perception tests. He just showed his American license and was given a Thai license straight away. Everything I've read says that everyone has to do the color and depth-perception tests.

Edited by Exploring Thailand
typo

I very much doubt he was just given a license.

Does anyone have recent experience of getting a motorbike license when using a license from another country to avoid doing the vison tests?  Someone on Facebook said he got a Thai Driver's license without having to do the color or depth-perception tests. He just showed his American license and was given a Thai license straight away. Everything I've read says that everyone has to do the color and depth-perception tests.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify Medical certificate for renewals ( as across different post's some say required and others say not required.  

I renewed my licenses a couple of months ago, it was a requirement... so I guess it might depends on the office person you are talking to. As usual, I take my whole folder of admin paper when dealing with Thai administration...just in case...

On 4/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, bloody tiger said:

I renewed my licenses just before Songkran, it was a requirement... so I guess it might depends on the office person you are talking to. As usual, I take my whole folder of admin paper when dealing with Thai administration, just in case.

However, my renewal (car and motorbike) took 30 minutes all together; gave papers at desk 27, did colour check. Wait 5 minutes, get my forms back; pay (don't remember how much, but less than you maybe 300 and 150 ?), then wait another 10 minutes to get my license. jop.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:21 AM, holy cow cm said:

So for a new 1 year renewal motorcycle, is it best to go after your license expires? I road for years being illegal and can't quite remember. The car I did in time last time.. 

My motorcycle license was out of date by a couple of months, it doesn't seem to bother them as long as you don't get stopped by the cops. The car was expired a couple of weeks earlier.  Officially, there is a limit for the expiration date however (6 months or maybe 1 year late) where you have to do extra steps. In real, for Thais at least, I don't think they care.

Edited by XLance

28 minutes ago, XLance said:

I renewed my licenses a couple of months ago, it was a requirement... so I guess it might depends on the office person you are talking to. As usual, I take my whole folder of admin paper when dealing with Thai administration...just in case...

I renewed my licenses just before Songkran, it was a requirement... so I guess it might depends on the office person you are talking to. As usual, I take my whole folder of admin paper when dealing with Thai administration, just in case.

However, my renewal (car and motorbike) took 30 minutes all together; gave papers at desk 27, did colour check. Wait 5 minutes, get my forms back; pay (don't remember how much, but less than you maybe 300 and 150 ?), then wait another 10 minutes to get my license. jop.

My motorcycle license was out of date by a couple of months, it doesn't seem to bother them as long as you don't get stopped by the cops. The car was expired a couple of weeks earlier.  Officially, there is a limit for the expiration date however (6 months or maybe 1 year late) where you have to do extra steps. In real, for Thais at least, I don't think they care.

So business as usual. Expired within reason just go and get the license renewed with no big deal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, Superoo said:

Where does one obtain a certificate of residency in CM these days?

I heard that a new immigration building has opened near the airport.

Thanks.

Yes, down by the airport.  You need a TM30 on file at IMM as proof of residency to get the certificate I believe.  Here is a copy of the certificate application form (check to be sure it is up to date since IMM often change forms with little notice) 

Thai-Residency-Certificate-Form.pdf

Edited by Kohsamida

• 2 weeks later...

What happens if you go to renew it say a couple of weeks after it expires? Processed as a new one or can still be renewed with some kind of fine?

Mine is due to renewal at the end of next week and I see last reports mentioned there is no next day service in immigration for the Residency Certificate anymore.

2 hours ago, XGM said:

What happens if you go to renew it say a couple of weeks after it expires? Processed as a new one or can still be renewed with some kind of fine?

Mine is due to renewal at the end of next week and I see last reports mentioned there is no next day service in immigration for the Residency Certificate anymore.

Theres no penalty/fine. I recently renewed mine when it was about 5 months expired with no issues whatsoever. 

• Like 1